Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dielectric Grease

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wiz561

wiz561

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

I redid a few of my connections today and tidy'ed everything up and regrounded everything. When I was doing this, I read on here that many people use dielectric grease. Some use it in the barrel, some use it on the threads, and it sounds like some squirt it in the f-connector. I decided to put a SMALL amount on the threads of the grounding block and the LNB, and used care not to get any where the copper wire comes out. I mostly did it so water doesn't get in and so the o-rings don't dry out.

From what I know, the grease is non-conductive, and according to the wikipedia page, it says...

"It is not recommended to be applied to the actual electrical conductive contacts of the connector because it could interfere with the electrical signals passing through the connector."

Now, I was wondering, if some people put it somewhere else other than the threads, wouldn't it interfere with the signal? Since some people said to do it on here, things must work....but it just makes me wonder if it would cause problems if you went bananas with it.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

Since it is non-conductive, you wouldnt want it on the conductor itself. Its use on threads and o-rings is the ticket.

Works good on spark plug boots too, if you change your own plugs.

Here is good discussion: http://continuouswav...TML/001202.html

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   wiz561

wiz561

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for the link, it was a good read.

I figured that the grease is good so the o-rings don't dry out, and it makes the connection a little more waterproof. I still did the drip loops and encased everything in a box, but it's just one more layer of protection.

I was just wondering other people's experience with it, and maybe a "FYI" for those who are going to be using it.

#4 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

I always used to put a small ( half-peanut sized ) dollop inside the connector before tightening the connector. Never had issues.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

spam firewall