Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Smash" on NBC

sticking

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,319 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:08 AM

Robert Greenblatt has been Chairman of NBC Entertainment since Comcast took control. From 2003 to 2010, Greenblatt was President of Entertainment for Showtime Networks. So far we haven't had much opportunity to see what he can do for do for NBC. But we'll see next Monday at 10:00.

"Smash" is likely to be a well-written drama with the musical theater sense of "A Chorus Line." Theresa Rebeck, creator, writer, and executive producer has a solid reputation. Steven Spielberg has put significant money into the show.

"Smash" was first presented to Greenblatt when he was at Showtime. It's a natural for a premium network - a showcase series. Greenblatt was responsible for Showtime airing "Dexter", "Weeds" and "Nurse Jackie."

The kicker line for the show describes it as "There is more drama behind the scenes than on stage, as the team prepares an ambitious Broadway musical on the life of Marilyn Monroe." Actors in key roles are Anjelica Huston, Debra Messing, and Jack Davenport. But the talented singer and actress Katharine McPhee, yes the "American Idol" runner-up, is the centerpiece and I'm sure will be working her heart out on this one.

But on Showtime a show's survival depends on whether it attracts viewers who will pay for the Showtime premium package, viewers who frequently record things for later viewing, a habit that doesn't matter as long as they pay.

"Smash" is on a broadcast network. Advertising still covers most of the budget. Advertisers still focus on ratings - live viewers with an emphasis on demos, age 18-49, with an extra emphasis on 18-34.

"Smash" follows "The Voice" which hasn't been the typical live viewer ratings dud for NBC, but it is a competition show that almost has to be viewed live. "Smash" is going to be recruiting for live viewers ages 18-49 at 10:00 on Monday against "Hawaii Five-0" and "Castle." Over-50 or use a DVR, you need not apply.

I will, of course, be recording it and I wish Greenblatt well. We're over-50 and go to bed between 10:00 and 10:30, so even if we were a Nielsen family, nobody would care. But we do pay for Showtime....;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

The first episode of SMASH has been available on several of the video services for a while. We watched it via Amazon Video last week. Not a bad show - certainly better than Glee which has gone over the top. McPhee does a fair acting job. Interesting to see how the Idol runner-ups do better than the winners often...

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

When I first heard about this show I was intrigued. Then I was excited. Unfortunately NBC has been promoting it so hard that I am already tired of it. I'll give it a sampling, but it already seems stale, like I've seen the best parts. I also wonder, given NBC's track record, if they will be able to keep quality production values throughout the first season.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,606 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:22 AM

Dang! Also over 50 and prone to DVR use. Miss McPhee looks amazing in the promos/
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   bobsupra

bobsupra

Work In Progress

• Gold Members
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:24 AM

I am interested in this series....especially Megan Hilty 'cause she is the one with talent. McPhee looks good and has a decent voice, but Hilty has the creds. Be interesting to see (on my dvr).
To shut down XP, hit start button. :D

#6 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,451 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

Mrs. and I watched it via NBC on demand and thought it was pretty good. We'll definitely continue to watch it.
/steve

#7 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,840 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

How much is singing compared to story?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,451 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

How much is singing compared to story?

IIRC, about 2/3 story. Maybe 40/60 (story).
/steve

#9 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:16 PM

If it's another Viva Laughlin I'm out.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#10 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

this shows how stupid NBC is ,why on earth didn't they put this show on right after the superbowl???? they dont know how to promote programs properly!, it dont matter to me anyway as i hate musicals,and i watch hawaii 5 o and record castle.:nono2:

#11 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,319 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

I'm looking forward to this show though I'll be recording it to watch tomorrow.

But I can't help but wonder if this from TV Week NBC's High-Priced Series Gamble Premieres Tonight. Word in Hollywood Is That Marketing for the Show Has Already Hit $20 Million to $25 Million; NBC Says It's Less Than $10 Million reflects a waste of money. The NY Times article they quote says these numbers do not include "the value of all the promotional mentions that have appeared elsewhere -- between shows, in the middle of shows, on the bottom of the screen during shows -- on NBC and its sister channels (USA, Bravo, MSNBC, CNBC, etc.) over the last month."

Comcast said they were going to dump money into NBC, but does the paid marketing really help?

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,606 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

this shows how stupid NBC is ,why on earth didn't they put this show on right after the superbowl???? they dont know how to promote programs properly!, it dont matter to me anyway as i hate musicals,and i watch hawaii 5 o and record castle.:nono2:

Well, they caught me! I was writing some e-mails, and along comes The Voice, and before I knew it, I was hooked! Up to now I've avoided those shows. Perhaps the judges are more interesting. (I didn't consider Cowell so much interesting as merely contentious)

Perhaps the competitive aspect of the show blends somewhat with the competitive nature of the program preceding?

#13 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

It looks like NBC is stripping the pilot across many of it's cable networks Thursday at midnight. (technically friday morning.) It's on Style, E, Bravo, USA and Oxygen.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#14 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

My wife and I enjoyed it significantly...

We will see what it is like after 13 episodes (That they have supposidly already fillmed), and thus the tinkering started by the network and other influences.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,606 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

Don't know if this is considered a spoiler or not, as it's pure conjecture on my part, but:

[spoiler spacing]

Isn't it likely that both women get key roles in the "Play", McPhee as Norma Jean, and Hilty as MM??

#16 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

I haven't watched it yet, but my cousin was in NY the night they were filming scenes for an episode in Times Square. I let her know about it, but she was going to be at a Broadway show that night, so she couldn't go to the filming. That would have been cool...

I'm a big McPhee fan though, so I'll be watching the whole first season regardless. I'm kind of surprised whoever the production company is that they didn't put songs out on iTunes ala "Glee."

~Alan

#17 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

I had no idea there were McPhee fans. She hasn't done anything yet, has she?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#18 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

I had no idea there were McPhee fans. She hasn't done anything yet, has she?

I own her first album. She has multiple other ones that I didn't know about until last year. I'll most likely pick them up eventually.

She's also done some movies and TV shows prior to this.

Basically, I'm a fan of her voice. I think she's very talented, but for multiple reasons, has yet achieve success musically.

~Alan

#19 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,319 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:22 AM

Excellent pilot, portends to be an excellent show. Of course, that's only if NBC doesn't screw it up somehow. But it's Greenblatt's baby so I assume he won't allow that to happen.

On the other hand, I cannot see why 2.5 million people, including 0.8 million in the 18-49 demo quit watching by 10:30. :confused:

My AV Setup

#20 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,606 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

And can someone please remind me why those 18-49s are so important? Don't we older folk have and spend more money? Which makes advertisers happier?

spam firewall