Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Smash" on NBC

sticking

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

I watched this last night and I was both pleased and disappointed.

I liked the music and certainly the performances by Ms. Hilty were fabulous. But then again, she can do no wrong in my book; I've seen her career rising for a long time and this is a great part for her. It's ironic that she is a lot like the character she plays; she is a longtime Broadway player who is threatened with upstaging from someone with little or no experience.

As for Ms. McPhee, I think she did well considering that she's really not terribly well known for this sort of thing. It's a shame that someone felt there was a need to "over-produce" her songs, with echo and plenty of electronic trickery. I have a feeling that she could do just fine without that sort of nonsense.

The writing was... fair. Not terribly earth-shattering but that's ok, it certainly wasn't any worse than any of the Broadway Melody films, Singin' in the Rain, or All That Jazz. I think there was probably an attempt to keep it on that level.

It's hard to criticize the acting because the actors didn't have a lot to play with. I've liked Debra Messing and Jack Davenport in other projects but they aren't known for drama. We'll see how they do. Anjelica Huston is Anjelica Huston; she could probably make you cry just reading the side of a cereal box.

The one thing I really didn't like was the way the outdoor scenes were shot. It may seem like a little thing but it was enough to take me out of the story. I suspect a lot of them were greenscreen; that the actors weren't really in those locations. Shutting down Times Square for the pilot probably wasn't in the budget. That being said, the lighting was too flat and all the outdoor scenes almost looked like black and white. If that was intentional... great, they did it right. But I still didn't go for it.

I'll be back for episode 2, but it wasn't a smash for me. It was NBC's best hourlong in a long time, but honestly that's not saying much. It needs to lighten up a little, get real people not just characters, and lay off the Pro Tools. Let the goodness of the actors and singers come through... isn't that the point of the story?

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 08 February 2012 - 09:51 AM.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

And can someone please remind me why those 18-49s are so important? Don't we older folk have and spend more money? Which makes advertisers happier?

...and laxguy, the problem is that 50+ers are too smart to fall for stupid advertisements and product placements, while 18-34s are happy to oblige in that regard.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#23 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,586 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

Ah, ok, that must be it, then.

I, too, want more from Smash! But it's ok for now....(two Marilyns? Or, rather, one Norma Jean and one MM??)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#24 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

And can someone please remind me why those 18-49s are so important? Don't we older folk have and spend more money? Which makes advertisers happier?

I can tell you why...

The vast majority of that demo... Have Kid's that they need to get to bed, things to finish up before they themselves need to get done.

While they may like the show, the 9/10pm timeslot is a terrible one for LIVE TV viewing.

We watched it off the DVR, after the kids were put to bed, we wrapped up what we needed to get done.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#25 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

Out of the pilot... two things I wish were done differently...

1) I wish the ad's didn't reveal the "punchline" of the you won't get to sleep with me, sceene.

2) I really wish they didn't bring in the over protective parents questioning the acting thing. Obviously she has a good relationship, is doing well enough to live in NY... Did we really need that over played dynamic... in the pilot?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#26 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,479 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

Well, as I said before it portends to be an excellent show, meaning five or six episodes in, it should hit its stride.

All I hope is that the show can keep over 80% of the ratings it had at 10:30. If not, then things are going to be very discouraging at NBC.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#27 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:03 AM

The worst thing the writers could do is overdistort reality. Anytime you get into "profession" shows this happens. Things really don't function in schools, newspaper city rooms, courtrooms, police stations, etc., the way they seem to be depicted in TV series. And there were a few notable things that stood out in the Smah pilot as well. (No way a stage manager would permit an actor to miss an entrance because he or she was chatting with a friend backstage!)

If the writers and producers really want to do a good series about New York theater, they have plenty to choose from: union corruption, ticket scalping, "angel" interference in the creative process, and a bunch of other stuff that doesn't necessarily involve far easier-to-write melodrama between competing actors or between actors and directors. I'll keep an open mind, for a while.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#28 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,586 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

If the writers and producers really want to do a good series about New York theater, they have plenty to choose from: union corruption, ticket scalping, "angel" interference in the creative process, and a bunch of other stuff that doesn't necessarily involve far easier-to-write melodrama between competing actors or between actors and directors. I'll keep an open mind, for a while.

Excellent points! I'm pretty sure the try-outs are exactly on form, either!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#29 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,264 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

Great eye candy. Hope the series sticks around a while.

Mc Feever, anyone?
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#30 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,479 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:36 AM

I am LOVING Smash. I think it is amazing so far!!!

The wife and I are loving Smash.

After watching the second episode I really don't know why anyone is watching something else live at 10:00 Monday. Really, "Hawaii Five-0" or "Castle"????

Yeah, if you're recording it or all 3 like we do, that's one thing.

But this may be one of the best productions to hit TV in many years. I hope NBC sticks with it. Right now the ratings are good.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#31 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,264 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

[...] But this may be one of the best productions to hit TV in many years. I hope NBC sticks with it. Right now the ratings are good.

Ditto.:)
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#32 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

I'll give it a few more tries. But it still hasn't grabbed me. And I'm a theater nut.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

Protected By... spam firewall...And...