Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No Disney Junior?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
114 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

As of right now, Disney is saying DirecTV will NOT be carrying Disney Junior? I thought it was just a rebranding of Soapnet. Will DirecTV just be dropping that channel in March, or is this an in-the-works thing?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

I would hope they would drop it. HD space is rather sparse, and Disney loves to rip providers a new one for carrying its channels. I also see no reason to carry a new SD channel. Chances are, when the rest of the Disney channels come up for contract renewal, Disney will force the providers into carrying this one anyway.

Its time for the FCC to limit the number of channels one company can own, like they used to, or we will all be paying $200 a month soon, for channels we never watch.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:44 PM

Since the channel won't even exist until March 23, nobody carries it. Where did you see that there are no plans to carry it? The wiki says they will.

#4 OFFLINE   mcnallc1

mcnallc1

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

Since the channel won't even exist until March 23, nobody carries it. Where did you see that there are no plans to carry it? The wiki says they will.

I got an email tonight with a link to the new Disney Junior website. With a 1 year old and a 4 year old I would like to see DirecTV carry this channel.

http://www.disneyjuniorthechannel.com/

#5 OFFLINE   mavs-fan

mavs-fan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

Look here: disneyjunior.com amd search by your zip code and list DirecTV as a provider. They say it won't be available.

Hopefully it will replace Soapnet for both Choice Xtra Classic customers and new Choice and above customers. That's the right thing to do.

Edited by mavs-fan, 07 March 2012 - 03:09 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

Unfortunately, DIRECTV currently is not
offering Disney Junior, the channel in your area.

Right on the Disney Junior web page.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#7 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

Right on the Disney Junior web page.

No one is carrying it right now. It will be carried under Soapnet contracts until those expire, much like OWN took over Discovery Health's slot.

#8 OFFLINE   Bonneville44

Bonneville44

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

No one is carrying it right now. It will be carried under Soapnet contracts until those expire, much like OWN took over Discovery Health's slot.

Agreed.

#9 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

Yes but when I put in my Comcast location, the web site said that it will be available March 23. So that might mean we will not see it immediately on Directv.

#10 OFFLINE   Skyboss

Skyboss

Icon

• Registered
  • 585 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

I would hope they would drop it. HD space is rather sparse, and Disney loves to rip providers a new one for carrying its channels. I also see no reason to carry a new SD channel. Chances are, when the rest of the Disney channels come up for contract renewal, Disney will force the providers into carrying this one anyway.

Its time for the FCC to limit the number of channels one company can own, like they used to, or we will all be paying $200 a month soon, for channels we never watch.

Exactly. Now all DirecTV has to do is dump all the useless regional sports networks and give us a channel our children can enjoy.
List is getting short….FMC HD, ID HD, Sundance HD, and Encore HD Channels.

#11 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

Actually not according to the Disney Junior website "see-if-your-TV provider-will-offer-Disney-Junior-at-launch" checker. Disney Junior is a channel that would be watched in our house. My understanding is that it will provide somewhat educational and, more importantly to me as a parent, commercial-free programming geared towards the under-7 set. Commercial-free options in that age range are sparse beyond PBS and would be a valuable addition to DirecTV's family-centric programming package to my mind.

Moreover, I would sincerely hope DirecTV would not drop a channel (the soon-to-be defunct Soapnet), regardless if it's one I, personally, watch or not, and not put SOMETHING else in its place ... ESPECIALLY so soon after a price increase.

#12 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:01 AM

Here's to hoping. Have been patiently waiting for this. My son loves the morning Jr block on Disney.

#13 OFFLINE   scott0702

scott0702

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:38 AM

Found this article. Looks like Soapnet will run for awhile..

http://www.diszine.c...pnet-eventually

#14 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,206 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:01 AM

Here's to hoping. Have been patiently waiting for this. My son loves the morning Jr block on Disney.

Agreed! I know our house will be looking forward to Disney JR.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#15 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:35 AM

Yes but when I put in my Comcast location, the web site said that it will be available March 23. So that might mean we will not see it immediately on Directv.

I put in Dish, DirecTV, Uverse and Charter, and all said unavailable. So I say that web site is meaningless right now.

#16 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,482 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

Found this article. Looks like Soapnet will run for awhile..

http://www.diszine.c...pnet-eventually

Yeah, looks like this could be similar to the Fox Reality Channel/National Geographic Wild situation, where some providers may continue carrying the SoapNet programming if they haven't yet made the deal to carry Disney Junior.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#17 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

Personally I don't care about this channel specifically, but this speaks to something that's really annoying me. Higher rates and taking channels away anyway. I know the costs could be higher if they kept them, just a little frustrating.

#18 OFFLINE   awblackmon

awblackmon

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

How many Disney channels do I need? I remember when I had C-band, Disney was treated as a premium channel. I wish the Disney channels could be treated the same way now on my Directv. Then I wouldn't have to pay for channels I don't ever watch.

#19 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

It's channel 290, and don't call me junior.

#20 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

I believe that most carriage agreements have a clause giving the distributor (Directv) the right to renegotiate the terms if the programming changes substantially. If Disney were to simply shut down SoapNet and offer DisneyJr as a replacement, Directv might actually have the right to walk away. So Disney and Directv have to come to agreement on new terms to carry the new channel.

On a side note, I think it's interesting that when Directv moved Baby First to channel 293, that filled up all channel numbers between 290-Disney and 303-TNick with kids/family programming. There's no free channel number in that range to move a new kid's network to.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...