Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No Disney Junior?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
114 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

I believe that most carriage agreements have a clause giving the distributor (Directv) the right to renegotiate the terms if the programming changes substantially. If Disney were to simply shut down SoapNet and offer DisneyJr as a replacement, Directv might actually have the right to walk away. So Disney and Directv have to come to agreement on new terms to carry the new channel.

On a side note, I think it's interesting that when Directv moved Baby First to channel 293, that filled up all channel numbers between 290-Disney and 303-TNick with kids/family programming. There's no free channel number in that range to move a new kid's network to.

All they'd have to do is move TV Land to 262, and either put Disney Jr on channel 304 or rework all the children/teen channels within 290 and 304.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jmf243

jmf243

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:09 AM

I too hope Disney Junior is added as my 2 year old loves the programming in the morning block on Disney and most of the shows are tolerable/ even entertaining for adults.

#23 OFFLINE   JcT21

JcT21

Legend

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:14 AM

I too hope Disney Junior is added as my 2 year old loves the programming in the morning block on Disney and most of the shows are tolerable/ even entertaining for adults.

i hope its added too. i got a 3yr old that loves those shows. the programming is pretty good. i often find myself watching jake and the neverland pirates with my daughter ....quality time :D

Xtra + HD Extra Pack
SiriusXM subscriber

#24 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:05 AM

This would be a nice add
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#25 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

How many Disney channels do I need? I remember when I had C-band, Disney was treated as a premium channel. I wish the Disney channels could be treated the same way now on my Directv. Then I wouldn't have to pay for channels I don't ever watch.

+1

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#26 OFFLINE   mavs-fan

mavs-fan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

Has anyone heard any news on Disney Junior?

The launch date is two weeks from this Friday on March 23. Hopefully, DirecTV will carry it from the initial launch date on the existing SoapNet channel.

Maybe the guide data will give us this info in a few days when we're under two weeks out.

Edited by mavs-fan, 07 March 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#27 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 779 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

Actually not according to the Disney Junior website "see-if-your-TV provider-will-offer-Disney-Junior-at-launch" checker. Disney Junior is a channel that would be watched in our house. My understanding is that it will provide somewhat educational and, more importantly to me as a parent, commercial-free programming geared towards the under-7 set. Commercial-free options in that age range are sparse beyond PBS and would be a valuable addition to DirecTV's family-centric programming package to my mind.

Nick Jr. aims at the same genre and is commercial free
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#28 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

Yeah, a channel branded with Disney and Disney animated characters is commercial free. hint" sarcasm. Sesame Street actually rakes in a bundle off their merchandising.
It's only tv!

#29 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 724 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

Yeah, a channel branded with Disney and Disney animated characters is commercial free. hint" sarcasm. Sesame Street actually rakes in a bundle off their merchandising.

Great point..

#30 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

This will simply be a dilution of programming for more channels to share. I counted the number of times Phineas and Ferb air between 6AM tomorrow and 6 AM on Friday. I included Dis E, Dis W and Dis XD. It may be unfair to include E and W, but the total airings over a 24 hour period is 21. Maybe Disney could use XD for their JR programming in the morning and "skateboarders" in the afternoon.

#31 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

+1

It was premium most everywhere if not everywhere. I remember it was extra on our cable system too.

#32 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,481 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

I remember watching scrambled Disney. Those were the days...

#33 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:08 PM

I remember watching scrambled Disney. Those were the days...

scrambled ppv and adult tv was better.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#34 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

My 11yo niece and I were actually having a discussion about where Disney Junior was the other night when the living room tv ended up on Nick Jr. after supper and there was this show on about fish kids who were going to go flying on an airplane underwater. With the singing and dancing it was WTF! Her 2yo sister had her head practically crazy-glued to the front of the tv watching it. I think it was worse than the episode of Zoey 101 that was on Teenick right after that with ads for yet another new Degrassi series.

#35 OFFLINE   RML81

RML81

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

My 11yo niece and I were actually having a discussion about where Disney Junior was the other night when the living room tv ended up on Nick Jr. after supper and there was this show on about fish kids who were going to go flying on an airplane underwater. With the singing and dancing it was WTF! Her 2yo sister had her head practically crazy-glued to the front of the tv watching it. I think it was worse than the episode of Zoey 101 that was on Teenick right after that with ads for yet another new Degrassi series.

You were watching Bubble Guppies. My 11mo honorary niece loves that show.

#36 OFFLINE   m4p

m4p

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

Has anyone heard any news on Disney Junior?

The launch date is two weeks from this Friday on March 23. Hopefully, DirecTV will carry it from the initial launch date on the existing SoapNet channel.

Maybe the guide data will give us this info in a few days when we're under two weeks out.

I hope Directv doesn't carry it. I want my Soapnet! :mad:

HR24-500 HDMI to Sharp LC-52D62U LCD, native on
Networked using Netgear R6300
Harmony 670 remote

#37 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

I hope they do not waste bandwidth on that channel. Kids watch way too much TV already. Hey, I have a concept. Give your kid a book to read.

#38 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,117 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

I hope they do not waste bandwidth on that channel. Kids watch way too much TV already. Hey, I have a concept. Give your kid a book to read.

Here's a better concept... Don't tell others how to raise their kids.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#39 OFFLINE   Skyboss

Skyboss

Icon

• Registered
  • 588 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

Kids are going to watch TV. Better Disney Jr then the rest of the wasted bandwidth out there. You can't even watch the local news anymore with kids in the room.

Oh, and what Sigma said.
List is getting short….FMC HD, ID HD, Sundance HD, and Encore HD Channels.

#40 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

To those complaining hoping they don't carry it because they like soap net: soapnet is going away regardless and being replaced by Disney Jr. Directv not having it won't change that.

To the complaints about wasting bandwidth on this channel: how is it wasting bandwidth when it's the same channel just being replaced by something else?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...