Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No Disney Junior?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
114 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:03 AM

You also get the better WGN on Bell TV
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:10 AM

Remember if a channel is commercial free then that means it only generates revenue from subscriber payments. Given the cost of programming you can bet this channel will have a steep asking price from the beginning and depending on demand get close to other Disney owned top named channels.

People are still complaining about a $4 price increase and this could turn into a $4 channel quickly. As the old saying goes be careful of what you wish for.

Edited by Shades228, 10 March 2012 - 03:04 AM.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#43 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:31 AM

Remember if a commercial is channel free then that means it only generates revenue from subscriber payments.

I would say it meant no one would see it :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#44 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:56 AM

The only thing I will be looking forward to on this channel will be the Magical World of Disney Junior which will show classic Disney movies at night. I bet we won't get it at launch on Directv but we will get it maybe a month or two after while we still get a looped Soapnet. I was in real doubt that we were going to get Nat Geo Wild when they showed Fox Reality for the longest time but we eventually got it. I can't see Directv skipping this channel out as it is more known then even Nat Geo Wild.

#45 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:04 AM

I would say it meant no one would see it :)

Fingers are apparently faster than my brain at the moment.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#46 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

The only thing I will be looking forward to on this channel will be the Magical World of Disney Junior which will show classic Disney movies at night. I bet we won't get it at launch on Directv but we will get it maybe a month or two after while we still get a looped Soapnet. I was in real doubt that we were going to get Nat Geo Wild when they showed Fox Reality for the longest time but we eventually got it. I can't see Directv skipping this channel out as it is more known then even Nat Geo Wild.

maybe they will to get a better ESPN deal or maybe even get ESPN 3 (Live game feed) and espn goal line / buzzer beater.

#47 OFFLINE   Bonneville44

Bonneville44

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

I want this channel (especially for the magical world of Disney mentioned earlier).

#48 OFFLINE   mavs-fan

mavs-fan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

We're hoping for a return of Disney's series Bear in the Big Blue House. It hasn't been on TV for years. It used to be on the old Playhouse Disney block years ago.

Edited by mavs-fan, 10 March 2012 - 11:43 AM.

#49 OFFLINE   mavs-fan

mavs-fan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

SoapNet is supposed to end on Thursday March 22 and Disney Junior begins on Friday March 23. However, DirecTV's guide is still showing SoapNet programming on Friday March 23, so we'll have to see how this plays out.

Here is Disney Junior's schedule for their Canada station. It should give a good idea of what to expect on the US version.

http://www.disneyjun...ca/en/schedule/

#50 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

I wonder if this will be like the transition from Fox Reality to Nat Geo Wild. Fox Reality stuck around on Directv for several months (re-runing the same content over and over) before it finally flipped over to NG Wild.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#51 OFFLINE   pinkertonfloyd

pinkertonfloyd

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

I wonder if this will be like the transition from Fox Reality to Nat Geo Wild. Fox Reality stuck around on Directv for several months (re-runing the same content over and over) before it finally flipped over to NG Wild.

TV guide is reporting that an Automated version of SoapNet will play until agreements are finalized with certain carriers on carriage of Disney Junior...

I hope DTV is quick... and really... I'd swap Spout for it... (ugh, some of the shows on that channel are creepy!).

#52 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

TV guide is reporting that an Automated version of SoapNet will play until agreements are finalized with certain carriers on carriage of Disney Junior...

I hope DTV is quick... and really... I'd swap Spout for it... (ugh, some of the shows on that channel are creepy!).

I hope DTV stands up to ESPN / Disney and takes up time so they can run out of HD room so they are not forced to take Disney Junior HD.

#53 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 786 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

I hope DTV stands up to ESPN / Disney and takes up time so they can run out of HD room so they are not forced to take Disney Junior HD.

+1
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#54 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:22 AM

If we get another fracking Disney channel before BBCAHD, thats some BS. Period.
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#55 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

I used to love BBC America a decade ago when they ran episodes of Casualty and Holby City. I only watch it now for Doctor Who since SyFy dropped it and Law & Order UK. Torchwood going to Starz also put another nail in the BBCA coffin for me.

#56 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

Luther, primeval, top gear...
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#57 OFFLINE   pinkertonfloyd

pinkertonfloyd

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

I doubt it's over a "lack of bandwidth".

I had BBCAHD on my IPTV carrier, and while I like BBCA... they didn't have much HD content. (Top Gear and Dr. Who was about it... although good ones, a couple HD shows does not make an HD channel).

I'd be okay with Disney using the same SD as Soap, at least for now... then the "bandwidth" issue is moot.

although I have a feeling, that some of the reasoning behind making a Junior Channel is that currently they have to slip it in the morning, getting rid of it in the morning would allow them to condense the east/west into one channel, as the timing won't be as big of a deal. Be interesting what they do.

As for COST, Disney makes a TON off these channels, and non-commerical means nothing.

I have no CLUE why DTV moved Baby First from pay to free... I was fine with it as pay (I even paid for it for awhile).

#58 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

I too would love to have BBCA in HD BUT, and it's a big but, I do not want a non-channel, i.e. a loop of SoapNet programming, of any kind vs. a newly available original channel, no matter what the programming niche it fills. That's just a completely bogus fill on DirecTV's part to boost channel count. If you don't want to pay for Disney Jr., at least step up and admit that to your customers--that you're dropping their channel count less than four weeks after raising their rates--in lieu of force feeding them looped programming and calling it a "channel."

#59 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

If they want a looped kids channel they should just add Qubo

Edited by NewForceFiveFan, 22 March 2012 - 09:36 AM.

#60 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

I had BBCAHD on my IPTV carrier, and while I like BBCA... they didn't have much HD content. (Top Gear and Dr. Who was about it... although good ones, a couple HD shows does not make an HD channel).

I never took into account how many HD programmes are actually on BBCA, perhaps that is why its HD feed has never been added after all this time. If it rings true, I may have to withdraw my support for its addition.

I have a feeling, that some of the reasoning behind making a Junior Channel is that currently they have to slip it in the morning, getting rid of it in the morning would allow them to condense the east/west into one channel, as the timing won't be as big of a deal. Be interesting what they do.

Well FWIW, on D* there isn't a Disney West HD, thus I would welcome a combining of resources so there wouldn't be a net loss of HD Channels but with a gain in West Coast primetime viewers. It will be an entirely different issue if Disney wants Junior in full time HD :(

Edited by espnjason, 22 March 2012 - 02:25 PM.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...