Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No Disney Junior?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
114 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   mavs-fan

mavs-fan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

I saw the new Disney Junior schedule on Twitter. Any thoughts?

http://muppetcentral...-23-2012.50631/

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#77 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

I don't have sympathy for them. When I was a kid, Disney was a premium channel.

LOL

When I was a kid, Disney was a one hour per week show on ABC, which most people could not get because most ABC channels (if the market even had one) were UHF and most TVs were VHF only. Later, Disney expanded to 180 minutes and moved to NBC where most people could watch it.

What is ironic is that my home town did not get a full time ABC channel until 1961, the same year that Disney switched from ABC to NBC.

#78 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

Oh damn, I'm too old to be laughing this hard.

When I was a kid, Disney was named Walt and he was on Sunday night every week for an hour or two for free on NBC (assuming the weather cooperated and the 17inch large screen TV wasn't on the fritz). What a liar though "Wonderful World of Color" -- HA sure, as long as you want all 3 colors (Black, white, and gray).

Finally they changed the name to Wonderful World of Disney and lo and behold it came in Color (but no Uncle Walt so they were still lying) on our now gigantic Brand New 20 inch behemoth. My young mind was all messed up -- Color meant B&W with Disney, but Disney meant color but no Disney -- BUT it was still free and an Sunday night every week so all was right with the world.

I must be a little older than you :D

Disney started out on Wednesday nights on ABC in 1954, and did not switch to NBC until 1961. Of course, as I said in my previous post, very few cities had an ABC affiliate, and even fewer people had UHF TVs. I do remember all of those shades of grey in the NBC peacock at the beginning of the show when it did switch to NBC.

#79 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

ALL the Disney shows were SHOT in color...

I don't think that's true of the '50s shows, since they've never been shown in color in the decades since. If they'd been shot in color, it would have had to have been on color film -- and Disney's been good at preserving their own films, so it's not likely that all those films "went missing."

Now, going into the '60s when the Disney shows were originally broadcast in color -- those have been seen in black and white in the decades since, and it's because those shows were originally shot and broadcast from color videotape, which was so expensive at the time that it was routinely "recycled" by the networks. Thus, there are a number of shows from the '60s that were originally broadcast in color that now only exist in the form of copies that were made on black-and-white film.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#80 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

I don't think that's true of the '50s shows, since they've never been shown in color in the decades since. If they'd been shot in color, it would have had to have been on color film -- and Disney's been good at preserving their own films, so it's not likely that all those films "went missing."

Now, going into the '60s when the Disney shows were originally broadcast in color -- those have been seen in black and white in the decades since, and it's because those shows were originally shot and broadcast from color videotape, which was so expensive at the time that it was routinely "recycled" by the networks. Thus, there are a number of shows from the '60s that were originally broadcast in color that now only exist in the form of copies that were made on black-and-white film.

Again, this is all decades before I was born, but I know my Disney trivia (feel free to independently verify though) ...

The original "Disneyland" shows, provided to ABC in exchange for providing some of the cost in building the theme park, were mostly repurposing of existing Disney cartoons (some color, some not), but when the series changed to "Walt Disney Presents" in 1958 (four years after it debuted and after it became a huge hit), the shows were all shot in color on the promise that ABC would "soon" be broadcasting in color. After six years, Walt got tired of waiting.

When Disney bought ABC out of their theme park business (as they would later buy out then-partner U.S. Steel prior to the opening of Disney World), one of the (many) reasons was Walt's personal frustration that ABC had not upgraded their broadcast ability to color when NBC had been doing so for years. He felt color was an innovative and important addition to TV. (NBC was so "innovative," in great part, because they were owned by RCA ... Which also made color TV sets.)

ABC didn't begin regular color broadcasts until 1962, according to Wikipedia, a year after Disney moved to NBC. Though ABC's point to Disney--that the expense of color broadcasting upgrades was unwarranted given set penetration--was probably valid, given that Wikipedia says only 3% of U.S. households had color TV capability even by 1964, years after the majority all three major networks' schedules were shot and broadcast in color.

Disney did re-air, in color, many of the "Walt Disney Presents" shows shot for ABC during its NBC run. Some were lost to history because, as you said, no one anticipated the need or long term desire for archives and tape was frequently re-used and/or film destroyed.

Disney is also the only prime time show to appear on all three networks. ABC in the '50s, NBC in the '60s and '70s and CBS in the '80s. (It later went back to NBC for a brief run in the late '80s/early '90s and then, after the corporate merger, ABC did a another brief reboot about a decade ago.)

I was at the tail end of this Disney TV era, but when I grew up in the late '70s and early '80s, before the advent of the VCR (we got that when I was 8-9), Sunday nights were all about watching Disney as a family. There are good memories there.

TV can be a valuable shared family experience, even now, with a channel like
Disney Jr., not just a glowing babysitter as many accuse when parents profess a desire for kid-centric channels.

Edited by susanandmark, 23 March 2012 - 12:55 PM.

#81 OFFLINE   prospect60

prospect60

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

I must be a little older than you :D

It sounds like maybe a little, but not that much

I actually think we got our first Color set in late 1967, but we only could get 2 stations reliably even then. I always remember ABC and NBC shows since CBS was on a weaker UHF station and it wasn't always available on any given night depending on the weather. I think we also got a partial broadcast day of PBS though as a kid i'm sure I would rarely have watched those.

A little back on topic -- Disney Jr would be OK, though I'd certainly rank it significantly lower on my personal wish list than BBC and TCM specifically.

#82 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

I'll favor Disney Jr. in SD. Simply because SoapNet was never in HD.

#83 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

Nothing against cartoons (I love Scooby Doo) but, personally, I don't think it's all that important if they're in HD or not. Most of them are drawn with very simple color palettes and look very good in SD. It's not like major Hollywood movies with subtle gradations and extensive use of lights and shadows.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#84 OFFLINE   richall01

richall01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 309 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

I think that Directv will carry Disney Jr in HD. The cost is lower than adding another HD channel (BBC America). And then Directv can say "see we are adding more HD channels". Some will be happy (I will) and some will not.

#85 OFFLINE   rlj1010

rlj1010

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

Nothing against cartoons (I love Scooby Doo) but, personally, I don't think it's all that important if they're in HD or not. Most of them are drawn with very simple color palettes and look very good in SD. It's not like major Hollywood movies with subtle gradations and extensive use of lights and shadows.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Comparing the quality of SD to HD on animated programs, I find the difference far more striking, than doing a comparison on live action programs.

#86 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,216 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

As of right now, Disney is saying DirecTV will NOT be carrying Disney Junior? I thought it was just a rebranding of Soapnet. Will DirecTV just be dropping that channel in March, or is this an in-the-works thing?

Soapnet is still on Dish. But the Dispute keeps going on.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#87 OFFLINE   Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

Soapnet is still on Dish. But the Dispute keeps going on.

SOAP is still on DirecTV as well.

#88 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:19 AM

SOAP is still on DirecTV as well.

SoapNET no longer exists. What's on Dish and DirecTV (and possibly others) is a programming loop of past content. They are basically playing, and replaying, a previously recorded amount (maybe a week's worth) of past programing over and over again because they are contractually obligated, to Disney (parent company) to carry that channel but have yet to agree to terms to carry the replacement offering (Disney Jr.).

#89 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,920 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

SoapNET no longer exists. What's on Dish and DirecTV (and possibly others) is a programming loop of past content. They are basically playing, and replaying, a previously recorded amount (maybe a week's worth) of past programing over and over again because they are contractually obligated, to Disney (parent company) to carry that channel but have yet to agree to terms to carry the replacement offering (Disney Jr.).

If that's true, why is General Hospital listed in the guide for 8 to 9 p.m. tonight with a new show "First Aired: 3/30/2012", which, incidentally is today?

How can they create a programming loop (implying the past), that contains the future? (tonight):)

Is the Guide wrong?
...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock
HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD
DirecTV since 1995

#90 OFFLINE   DLP2008

DLP2008

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

Hm, hopefully it doesn't take the back seat while they work out the WGN dispute...but I would like to see it added for younger family that visits.

When I was a kid, like someone else posted, Disney was a premium channel. We used to have Communicom cable, and it was in the channel block right after HBO. :grin:

#91 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

Hm, hopefully it doesn't take the back seat while they work out the WGN dispute...but I would like to see it added for younger family that visits.

When I was a kid, like someone else posted, Disney was a premium channel. We used to have Communicom cable, and it was in the channel block right after HBO. :grin:

Back in the 70's, when Louisville first got cable TV, the only way to get the Disney Channel was to buy the package that also included Playboy TV. :rolleyes:

#92 OFFLINE   rlj1010

rlj1010

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

Back in the 70's, when Louisville first got cable TV, the only way to get the Disney Channel was to buy the package that also included Playboy TV. :rolleyes:

That's pretty good, considering Disney Channel didn't launch until 1983.

#93 OFFLINE   housemr

housemr

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:03 AM

Trying to keep everyone in the family happy? :)

#94 OFFLINE   jerbear4

jerbear4

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

I am in agreement with you. Don't get me wrong for I am not against Disney Junior but often wonder if Disney will use this channel as a leverage tool for satellite or cable providers to pay more to carry their other channels because they will throw this one in the deal. This whole thing reminds me when Nickelodeon offered Nick Toons. Although this is a directv post I do have to say that the Nicktoons vs Echostar feud got ugly.

#95 OFFLINE   MrMars

MrMars

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

Soapnet is not dead or a "loop"

They issued a press release 3 days ago for the launch of Veronica Mars...

"VERONICA MARS" KICKS OFF ITS DEBUT ON SOAPNET WITH AN 11-HOUR MARATHON AIRING SUNDAY, APRIL 15 FROM 8AM - 7PM

Beginning April 16, Episodes Will Air Monday Through Friday At 5PM And 6PM, Saturdays 1PM - 4PM And Sundays 10AM - 1PM

"Veronica Mars" is coming to SOAPnet. To kick off the show, SOAPnet will air an 11-episode marathon, Sunday, April 15th, from 8AM - 7PM (ET/PT). The series will move to its regular time slot Monday through Friday at 5PM and 6PM, starting Monday, April 16 with weekend marathons airing Saturdays from 1PM - 4PM and Sundays from 10AM - 1PM. This is the first time the show has aired since it ended its run in 2007.

Smart, wise-cracking high school student Veronica Mars has a penchant for solving mysteries, while helping her father with his struggling detective agency. Despite his warnings, Veronica's determined to uncover the biggest mystery of all: who killed her best friend and created a scandal that cost her father his job, his home and his wife - and turned Veronica into an outcast at school.

The series stars Kristen Bell (House of Lies), Enrico Colantoni ("Just Shoot Me!"), Teddy Dunn ("The Manchurian Candidate"), Jason Dohring ("Ringer") and Francis Capra ("SLC Punk!"). Produced by Joel Silver and Rob Thomas.

SOAPnet owns the world of character-driven soapy drama. The network features same-day episodes of popular daytime dramas "Days of our Lives," "General Hospital" and "The Young and the Restless" as well as classic episodes of "All My Children" and "One Life to Live." Plus favorite primetime series "Gilmore Girls," "One Tree Hill," "Veronica Mars," "Brothers & Sisters" and "Beverly Hills 90210." Wrapped in a 24-hour environment, SOAPnet is the one destination for stories focused on real emotions and revealing truths about intriguing yet flawed characters.

I don't think "dead" networks issue press releases about upcoming new (to the network) programing.

Edited by MrMars, 05 April 2012 - 09:47 PM.

#96 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,216 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

As of right now, Disney is saying DirecTV will NOT be carrying Disney Junior? I thought it was just a rebranding of Soapnet. Will DirecTV just be dropping that channel in March, or is this an in-the-works thing?

SoapNet will continue for a long time.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#97 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

That's pretty good, considering Disney Channel didn't launch until 1983.

Late 70s - early 80s, it all runs together ;). The point is, when Disney Channel first came out, the only way to get it in Lousiville was to also subscribe to Playboy TV. Not only was Disney Channel a premium, it was only available in a premium package that made no sense.

#98 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

The good old days of CATV. I remember when HBO was it's own converter box.

#99 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,945 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

The good old days of CATV. I remember when HBO was it's own converter box.

Home Box Office.

Complete with Indians baseball.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#100 OFFLINE   syphix

syphix

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

Late 70s - early 80s, it all runs together ;). The point is, when Disney Channel first came out, the only way to get it in Lousiville was to also subscribe to Playboy TV. Not only was Disney Channel a premium, it was only available in a premium package that made no sense.

It makes tons of sense: make your family (...or discard your potential family in tissues... ;) ), then entertain your family. :D
Nathan
setup:
- 50" Plasma 1080p HDTV (Samsung PN50A760), 46" LCD 1080p HDTV (Samsung LN-T4665F), 32" LCD 720p HDTV (Insignia). 1 Hopper, 2 Joeys.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...