Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No Disney Junior?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
114 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

It's funny to read all the moms begging on DirecTV's Facebook page for Disney Junior to babysit their kids, or read how many will cancel if DirecTV doesn't pick it up.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Bonneville44

Bonneville44

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

I want it for the wonderful world of disney movies (or whatever they'll call them now). I like to watch Little Einsteins WITH my boys, too. So there. I would like this channel. If you didn't watch TV as kids how did we get so desperate to watch it now?

#63 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

It's funny to read all the moms begging on DirecTV's Facebook page for Disney Junior to babysit their kids, or read how many will cancel if DirecTV doesn't pick it up.

I don't have sympathy for them. When I was a kid, Disney was a premium channel.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#64 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

I was going to do your family a favor and hookup the Disney Channel, for free. Well, forget it.

#65 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 724 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

Disney Jr. is where the magic begins, except on Direct TV..

#66 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

Disney Jr. is where the magic begins, except on Direct TV..

I don't want to pay for a ad free disney channel that is part of the basic package.

Put it along with the other Disney channels or don't pick it up.

Do you want to be paying $2-$4 /mo a sub for this??
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#67 OFFLINE   rlj1010

rlj1010

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

Do you want to be paying $2-$4 /mo a sub for this??

YES!!!

I would gladly pay $2-$4 more a month to receive Disney Junior on Directv.

I have two young children, and the brief Disney Junior block of programming, that airs on regular Disney channel in the mornings, is absolutely perfect for my kids.

I am already very upset that DTV is not carrying it from the launch date. (Between this, and other recent grievances, I am just about ready to drop DTV altogether... The tug of war between my local FOX affiliate and DTV, which carried on for several weeks during NFL playoffs was completely unacceptable.)

#68 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

YES!!!

I would gladly pay $2-$4 more a month to receive Disney Junior on Directv.

I have two young children, and the brief Disney Junior block of programming, that airs on regular Disney channel in the mornings, is absolutely perfect for my kids.

I am already very upset that DTV is not carrying it from the launch date. (Between this, and other recent grievances, I am just about ready to drop DTV altogether... The tug of war between my local FOX affiliate and DTV, which carried on for several weeks during NFL playoffs was completely unacceptable.)

I don't want to pay for this and don't want to be forced to pay for it.

Disney should be premium and they can use it as a plus (NO out side ad's)

#69 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

Disney used to be a premium, and it didnt fly. That is why they force everyone to take it to get ESPN's,

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#70 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

Disney used to be a premium, and it didnt fly. That is why they force everyone to take it to get ESPN's,

at least put it in choice ultimate

#71 OFFLINE   prospect60

prospect60

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

Oh damn, I'm too old to be laughing this hard.

When I was a kid, Disney was named Walt and he was on Sunday night every week for an hour or two for free on NBC (assuming the weather cooperated and the 17inch large screen TV wasn't on the fritz). What a liar though "Wonderful World of Color" -- HA sure, as long as you want all 3 colors (Black, white, and gray).

Finally they changed the name to Wonderful World of Disney and lo and behold it came in Color (but no Uncle Walt so they were still lying) on our now gigantic Brand New 20 inch behemoth. My young mind was all messed up -- Color meant B&W with Disney, but Disney meant color but no Disney -- BUT it was still free and an Sunday night every week so all was right with the world.

#72 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

Didn't fly? It was a premium level service for like 12 years. Hardly seems like it "didn't fly."

#73 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

When I was a kid, Disney was named Walt and he was on Sunday night every week for an hour or two for free on NBC (assuming the weather cooperated and the 17inch large screen TV wasn't on the fritz). What a liar though "Wonderful World of Color" -- HA sure, as long as you want all 3 colors (Black, white, and gray).

WAAAYYY off topic (and long before my time) but ... Disney renamed the show "Wonderful World of Color" when it moved to NBC in 1961 (thanks Wikipedia for the dates) and it most certainly WAS shown in color, hence the name. Now, whether you had the capacity to receive it in color at that time was a major question, as color TV penetration was slim at that point. It was one of Disney's major gripes with ABC ... That they drug their feet on promised color broadcasting; and one reason why their relationship soured at that time. (Ironic, since Disney now owns ABC.) ALL the Disney shows were SHOT in color, at Walt's insistence, including the first 5-6 years worth that aired on ABC in B&W under the "Walt Disney Presents" title ... Many of which were later re-aired on NBC, in color.

And, by the way, to bring it back around, not that it's ANYBODY'S business, but my five-year-old watches less than 2 hours of TV per day, max (often one in the morning, one at night, with me). I like the Disney channels, and PBS, because they offer high-quality, commercial-free and (for the most part) smart children's programming. Those commercials are C-R-A-P for kids who don't understand marketing and believe them verbatim.

One day of watching something at a friend's house and my son was convinced Sketchers were the best shoes ever ... Because the commercial said so. And remembered enough to ask me, repeatedly, what brand all his shoes were and would I get him Sketcher's next time. Now, this was a learning/educational moment as a parent as I work(ed) to explain branding and marketing and how companies try and 'trick' kids but, all in all, I'd prefer to skip the ads altogether, if possible, until he's old enough to employ more mature critical thinking to the evaluation of corporate claims.

But even if I didn't have a child I would be ticked off at DirecTV for airing a programming loop, which is what SoapNET is, of today, versus an actual channel. Disney Jr. isn't a new addition ... It's a rebranding. And like the rebrand or not, it's a replacement for an existing channel, not a new channel anyone is asking for. DirecTV can not, by existing contractual obligation (to the Disney company, not us), drop the channel completely, so they go into this legal loop limbo that provides zero benefit to consumers. It's a corporate game of chicken--with the subscribers as the only guaranteed losers--that has absolutely zilch to do with gaining/losing any other HD or non-HD channel in the universe.

#74 OFFLINE   rlj1010

rlj1010

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

I don't want to pay for this and don't want to be forced to pay for it.

Disney should be premium and they can use it as a plus (NO out side ad's)

And at the same token... i don't want to be forced to pay for 75% of the channels I'm forced to get, that YOU probably enjoy.

I'd pay extra for Disney Junior, if DTV even offered it at all. But sadly, DTV is not even making it a premium option.

#75 OFFLINE   prospect60

prospect60

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:05 AM

WAAAYYY off topic (and long before my time) but ... Disney renamed the show "Wonderful World of Color" when it moved to NBC in 1961 (thanks Wikipedia for the dates) and it most certainly WAS shown in color, hence the name.

Sigh. Yes it's way off target and yes Wonderful World of Color was sent out in Color from the 1st moment -- hence the entire attempted joke when all you had was a B&W console TV. I guess my tongue wasn't planted deep enough into cheek for that post

Unfortunately for me, not way before my time.

#76 OFFLINE   mavs-fan

mavs-fan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

I saw the new Disney Junior schedule on Twitter. Any thoughts?

http://muppetcentral...-23-2012.50631/

#77 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

LOL

When I was a kid, Disney was a one hour per week show on ABC, which most people could not get because most ABC channels (if the market even had one) were UHF and most TVs were VHF only. Later, Disney expanded to 180 minutes and moved to NBC where most people could watch it.

What is ironic is that my home town did not get a full time ABC channel until 1961, the same year that Disney switched from ABC to NBC.

#78 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

Oh damn, I'm too old to be laughing this hard.

Finally they changed the name to Wonderful World of Disney and lo and behold it came in Color (but no Uncle Walt so they were still lying) on our now gigantic Brand New 20 inch behemoth. My young mind was all messed up -- Color meant B&W with Disney, but Disney meant color but no Disney -- BUT it was still free and an Sunday night every week so all was right with the world.

I must be a little older than you :D

Disney started out on Wednesday nights on ABC in 1954, and did not switch to NBC until 1961. Of course, as I said in my previous post, very few cities had an ABC affiliate, and even fewer people had UHF TVs. I do remember all of those shades of grey in the NBC peacock at the beginning of the show when it did switch to NBC.

#79 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

ALL the Disney shows were SHOT in color...

I don't think that's true of the '50s shows, since they've never been shown in color in the decades since. If they'd been shot in color, it would have had to have been on color film -- and Disney's been good at preserving their own films, so it's not likely that all those films "went missing."

Now, going into the '60s when the Disney shows were originally broadcast in color -- those have been seen in black and white in the decades since, and it's because those shows were originally shot and broadcast from color videotape, which was so expensive at the time that it was routinely "recycled" by the networks. Thus, there are a number of shows from the '60s that were originally broadcast in color that now only exist in the form of copies that were made on black-and-white film.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#80 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

I don't think that's true of the '50s shows, since they've never been shown in color in the decades since. If they'd been shot in color, it would have had to have been on color film -- and Disney's been good at preserving their own films, so it's not likely that all those films "went missing."

Now, going into the '60s when the Disney shows were originally broadcast in color -- those have been seen in black and white in the decades since, and it's because those shows were originally shot and broadcast from color videotape, which was so expensive at the time that it was routinely "recycled" by the networks. Thus, there are a number of shows from the '60s that were originally broadcast in color that now only exist in the form of copies that were made on black-and-white film.

Again, this is all decades before I was born, but I know my Disney trivia (feel free to independently verify though) ...

The original "Disneyland" shows, provided to ABC in exchange for providing some of the cost in building the theme park, were mostly repurposing of existing Disney cartoons (some color, some not), but when the series changed to "Walt Disney Presents" in 1958 (four years after it debuted and after it became a huge hit), the shows were all shot in color on the promise that ABC would "soon" be broadcasting in color. After six years, Walt got tired of waiting.

When Disney bought ABC out of their theme park business (as they would later buy out then-partner U.S. Steel prior to the opening of Disney World), one of the (many) reasons was Walt's personal frustration that ABC had not upgraded their broadcast ability to color when NBC had been doing so for years. He felt color was an innovative and important addition to TV. (NBC was so "innovative," in great part, because they were owned by RCA ... Which also made color TV sets.)

ABC didn't begin regular color broadcasts until 1962, according to Wikipedia, a year after Disney moved to NBC. Though ABC's point to Disney--that the expense of color broadcasting upgrades was unwarranted given set penetration--was probably valid, given that Wikipedia says only 3% of U.S. households had color TV capability even by 1964, years after the majority all three major networks' schedules were shot and broadcast in color.

Disney did re-air, in color, many of the "Walt Disney Presents" shows shot for ABC during its NBC run. Some were lost to history because, as you said, no one anticipated the need or long term desire for archives and tape was frequently re-used and/or film destroyed.

Disney is also the only prime time show to appear on all three networks. ABC in the '50s, NBC in the '60s and '70s and CBS in the '80s. (It later went back to NBC for a brief run in the late '80s/early '90s and then, after the corporate merger, ABC did a another brief reboot about a decade ago.)

I was at the tail end of this Disney TV era, but when I grew up in the late '70s and early '80s, before the advent of the VCR (we got that when I was 8-9), Sunday nights were all about watching Disney as a family. There are good memories there.

TV can be a valuable shared family experience, even now, with a channel like
Disney Jr., not just a glowing babysitter as many accuse when parents profess a desire for kid-centric channels.

Edited by susanandmark, 23 March 2012 - 12:55 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...