Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No Disney Junior?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
114 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

Home Box Office.

Complete with Indians baseball.

When I lived in Berkeley Ca I had TCI they a box with two knobs on/off a knob for changing 19 channels. Anyway they had a movie channel which started at 7PM to 11PM with one movie each night.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

When I lived in Berkeley Ca I had TCI they a box with two knobs on/off a knob for changing 19 channels. Anyway they had a movie channel which started at 7PM to 11PM with one movie each night.

I remember those days. We had Cablevision. The "remote" was hardwired to the TV with a long cord so it could be placed on the coffee table or end table. The "remote" had a separate push button for each channel. When you pushed one button in, the button for the previous channel popped back out.

I also remember the channel (Home Theater Network, IIRC) that showed one movie per night. I do not remember which movie it was, but there was one that was longer than the time slot, and sure enough, the channel went dark before the movie ended.

#103 OFFLINE   AlanSaysYo

AlanSaysYo

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

My grandparents had a flimsy plastic cable box (colored dusty brown) that had one plastic slider and a bunch of printed numbers. You moved the slider to the channel number you wanted to watch. Found a picture of it: http://www.flickr.co...eke/3298454963/

Anyway, on topic, I would be in the minority that would welcome Disney Jr, HD or otherwise. There aren't many commercial-free channels that offer decent children's programming. NickJr is great (it's also in awful SD, not that my daughter minds). There's quite a difference in quality between the stuff aired on Disney Jr/NickJr and the stuff I used to watch when I was a kid. It's actually a bit shocking how brain-dead some of it is/was. NickJr programming teaches my daughter things like numbers and shapes and whatnot, while stuff like Spongebob just turns her into a zombie. She accidentally watched a block of commercials on Nickelodeon once and I could almost hear her brain grinding to a halt. She was watching a commercial for some sort of flying pony toy (she's not old enough that I would concern myself with the brand name yet) and her eyes were just glazed over. I thought to myself, "Man, she's never seen a commercial for something that would interest her... and that appears to have been a good thing."

#104 OFFLINE   JustSo

JustSo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

Does anyone know if there has been any update regarding DirecTV adding the Disney Junior channel? I'd love to have it for my kids.

#105 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:30 PM

My grandparents had a flimsy plastic cable box (colored dusty brown) that had one plastic slider and a bunch of printed numbers. You moved the slider to the channel number you wanted to watch. Found a picture of it: http://www.flickr.co...eke/3298454963/

Anyway, on topic, I would be in the minority that would welcome Disney Jr, HD or otherwise. There aren't many commercial-free channels that offer decent children's programming. NickJr is great (it's also in awful SD, not that my daughter minds). There's quite a difference in quality between the stuff aired on Disney Jr/NickJr and the stuff I used to watch when I was a kid. It's actually a bit shocking how brain-dead some of it is/was. NickJr programming teaches my daughter things like numbers and shapes and whatnot, while stuff like Spongebob just turns her into a zombie. She accidentally watched a block of commercials on Nickelodeon once and I could almost hear her brain grinding to a halt. She was watching a commercial for some sort of flying pony toy (she's not old enough that I would concern myself with the brand name yet) and her eyes were just glazed over. I thought to myself, "Man, she's never seen a commercial for something that would interest her... and that appears to have been a good thing."

That's very similar to what we had when I was a kid and before the advent of converter boxes of any kind.

#106 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

SoapNet will continue for a long time.

My cable system carries both SoapNet and Disney Jr.

#107 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

I hope it gets added soon as well. I would actually like to see some older shows on it like the old school Disney Channel shows like Dumbo's Circus and Welcome To Pool Corner and even newer ones like PB&J Otter. My niece who is 3 watches the shows on Sprout and NickJr so this would be a welcomed addition to the household.

#108 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:45 AM

I have a 4 year old that would like Disney JR, but then again, I would never be able to watch anything else on TV (Oh the Dilemma)

We will have to wait and see what transpires..

#109 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,219 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:02 AM

I hope it gets added soon as well. I would actually like to see some older shows on it like the old school Disney Channel shows like Dumbo's Circus and Welcome To Pool Corner and even newer ones like PB&J Otter. My niece who is 3 watches the shows on Sprout and NickJr so this would be a welcomed addition to the household.

Just my luck, DirecTV will hold out until my youngest is off to pre-K and has no desire to watch Disney Jr.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#110 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

Buried amongst all of DirecTV's self-serving and obnoxious Twitter "got my back" retweets ...

http://news.directv....ers-nationwide/

#111 OFFLINE   fsquid

fsquid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

holy crap, that's the first cable box I remember.

#112 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,661 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

Buried amongst all of DirecTV's self-serving and obnoxious Twitter "got my back" retweets ...

http://news.directv....ers-nationwide/

You are a piece of work.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#113 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

Heh, that's exactly the cable box we got when we ordered the Disney Channel back when it was a premium. I used to be able to roll the fine tuning knob on the right and fake the descrambler out into descrambling other channels briefly. :)

#114 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

I was 6 when we got cable and that's the box we got.

#115 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

Since it's coming, I'm closing this one and directing you all here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=206859
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...