Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv's nasty message-using component-composite adaptor

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:20 PM

Could someone explain the necessity for this software change? Is this some sort of DMCA b.s., or are they just trying to be helpful?

Nothing to do with DMCA. Yes,helpful. DirecTv's biggest complaint with their DVRs was the slowness of the interface.

In rewriting the interface, they determined that multiple output resolutions were one of the major causes of the slowdown, hence they removed it to speed the boxes up with the new HDGUI, which would have slowed the boxes down even more had they not done so.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

OK, I can buy that explanation, as I have noticed the slower interface. Amazed it did not occur to someone to give us the choice to ignore this issue if it's our wish to do so for legitimate reasons. It's like. YOU WILL COMPLY.
Stew in Florida

HR21-100 (eSATA: Seagate Barracuda 750gb/Antec MX-1), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Onkyo A/V (optical), Slingbox Pro/WLI-TX4-G54HP
HR20-700 (eSATA: FreeAgent Pro 750gb), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Pioneer A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi LT-37132 (HDMI), Sony A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi WD-65731 (HDMI)
H20-600 (x 2)

#43 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

OK, I can buy that explanation, as I have noticed the slower interface. Amazed it did not occur to someone to give us the choice to ignore this issue if it's our wish to do so for legitimate reasons. It's like. YOU WILL COMPLY.

Well, seriously, I think the SD outputs were put on the boxes just for compatability, and Mpeg4 locals markets. I dont think DirecTv ever expected people to use them to bypass getting a second SD receiver for extra rooms.

As far as your Slingbox Pro, I thought those were HD? Am I missing something? It doesnt have a component input?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#44 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

I dont think DirecTv ever expected people to use them to bypass getting a second SD receiver for extra rooms.

I disagree. It was a selling feature.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#45 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

Could someone explain the necessity for this software change? Is this some sort of DMCA b.s., or are they just trying to be helpful? If the former, is there a legitimate legal issue here? If the latter, this is a very unhelpful idea for anyone who uses a second SD receiver or non-HD Slingbox.

I use my Slingbox extensively, and if this had happened while I was on an extended trip, I would be REALLY ANGRY.

I'm with you in being VERY unhappy with the change. I suspect there was some keep pace with the competition, and that it was necessary as a first step for future planned enhancements--to be named later.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#46 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

As far as your Slingbox Pro, I thought those were HD? Am I missing something? It doesnt have a component input?

There seems to have been a Slingbox Pro, that wasn't HD, and a Slingbox Pro HD [most common now].
A.K.A VOS

#47 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

There seems to have been a Slingbox Pro, that wasn't HD, and a Slingbox Pro HD [most common now].

Ok thanks. Thought all the PRO's were HD.

#48 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

Ok thanks. Thought all the PRO's were HD.

Since there was some comment about an HDMI cable, more than likely this one was also HD, but I dug around to see if any "pro" boxes weren't, and did find one.
A.K.A VOS

#49 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

The original "Slingbox Pro" has what appears to be an HDMI input, even though it is NOT an HD capable box. Instead, the input was used with an adapter cable (which I understand goes for $80 on Ebay) to get component video/analog audio in and out of the box. Confusion about the HDMI jack is allegedly prevented by a small sticker over the input warning that the special adapter cable is required.

Re: the new software, I can live quite easily with the speed of the interface and this warning message has a "nanny state" feel to it....
Stew in Florida

HR21-100 (eSATA: Seagate Barracuda 750gb/Antec MX-1), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Onkyo A/V (optical), Slingbox Pro/WLI-TX4-G54HP
HR20-700 (eSATA: FreeAgent Pro 750gb), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Pioneer A/V (optical)
H20-600 (x 2)

#50 OFFLINE   rta53

rta53

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:47 AM

Unless your DVD recorder won't sync on HD input... I would connect it and see if it works.

Well I jumped the gun. My DVD recorder doesn't actually have component inputs, only outputs. So since I will have to buy a converter anyway why not get an HDMI to s-video instead of component to composite?

#51 OFFLINE   moghedien

moghedien

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

Well I jumped the gun. My DVD recorder doesn't actually have component inputs, only outputs. So since I will have to buy a converter anyway why not get an HDMI to s-video instead of component to composite?

For this application, you want an adapter that downconverts from an HD source to composite or s-video, not one that upconverts from composite/s-video to HD. Make sure whatever adapter you get is making the right conversion.

#52 OFFLINE   rta53

rta53

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

For this application, you want an adapter that downconverts from an HD source to composite or s-video, not one that upconverts from composite/s-video to HD. Make sure whatever adapter you get is making the right conversion.

I understand the need to down convert. My question was related to the fact that the converter mentioned in this thread is, I believe, component to composite. Seems to me it would be better to start out with the best signal, ie HDMI, before doing the down converting. But that's why I'm asking the question. :)

#53 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,917 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

I understand the need to down convert. My question was related to the fact that the converter mentioned in this thread is, I believe, component to composite. Seems to me it would be better to start out with the best signal, ie HDMI, before doing the down converting. But that's why I'm asking the question. :)

Most people are already using the hdmi output for the local TV, so that leaves the component output available. That is why the suggestion for the component to composite converter. If you are either not using the hdmi to start with, or want to use an hdmi splitter, then you could certainly use an hdmi to composite (or s-video) converter.

#54 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

You're going to end up with an analog signal, and component is the HD analog, so I don't really see any gain [and maybe more troubles] starting with the digital HD, than using the analog HD.
A.K.A VOS

#55 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

I received my Monoprice item#7114 component to composite/S-video converter yesterday. You should be aware that you can not simultaneously use both the composite and S-video outputs of this device. Instead, there is a switch to select one or the other.

I was previously using both the composite and S-video outputs of my HR-20 (in addition to the HDMI output). The composite output was run to an RF modulator for the nearby kitchen TV and the S-video output went to the Slingbox.

I could have split the composite video output from the converter, but I was not happy with the video quality from the Slingbox using the composite video input.

So I additionally had to order from Monoprice an item #1124 S-video 2-way splitter (MDIN4M/MDIN4F X2). This item is not available from Radio Shack. Be sure an order this item when you order your converter, if these facts apply to you.
Stew in Florida

H20-600 (x 2)

#56 OFFLINE   Lije Baley

Lije Baley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:09 PM

In my situation I am not connecting to another TV but to another recording device. I am connecting to a HDD/DVD recorder using the S-video output on my HR23. In the past I could view the content from my HR23 on the recorder just fine but now I of course get the message. Do I need an adapter to fix this or is there an existing solution without the adapter? Would connecting my recorder using component output fix the issue?

I also have an HDD/DVD recorder connected to my HR21. The signal from the DVR can be easily changed to 480p for transmission to the DVD recorder. There is no need for a component/composite converter unless you simultaneously wish to view a program in HD while recording it in SD. I do my recording when I'm not watching TV. Of course, the trick is to remember to reset the DVR to HD after the DVD recording is completed, rather than watching a show while wondering why it is being broadcast in such low-quality HD. :confused::icon_stup

#57 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,053 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:17 AM

I also have an HDD/DVD recorder connected to my HR21. The signal from the DVR can be easily changed to 480p for transmission to the DVD recorder. There is no need for a component/composite converter unless you simultaneously wish to view a program in HD while recording it in SD. I do my recording when I'm not watching TV. Of course, the trick is to remember to reset the DVR to HD after the DVD recording is completed, rather than watching a show while wondering why it is being broadcast in such low-quality HD. :confused::icon_stup

Also, why would one really want to bring up the guide/menu UI while dubbing a program onto a recordable DVD anyway?

#58 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,053 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:40 AM

I received my Monoprice item#7114 component to composite/S-video converter yesterday. You should be aware that you can not simultaneously use both the composite and S-video outputs of this device. Instead, there is a switch to select one or the other.

I was previously using both the composite and S-video outputs of my HR-20 (in addition to the HDMI output). The composite output was run to an RF modulator for the nearby kitchen TV and the S-video output went to the Slingbox.

I could have split the composite video output from the converter, but I was not happy with the video quality from the Slingbox using the composite video input.

So I additionally had to order from Monoprice an item #1124 S-video 2-way splitter (MDIN4M/MDIN4F X2). This item is not available from Radio Shack. Be sure an order this item when you order your converter, if these facts apply to you.

Although in the past when I ever considered splitting an analog composite or s-video signal I was typically advised by others I'd be better served spending more money and use an A/V composite or s-video distribution amplifier to avoid a 6 db (or more) voltage splitting loss and maintain the proper 1 volt p-p NTSC composite or .7v luma/.3v chroma s-video level at the input of other equipment.

Humm .... if your cheap splitter works out OK then I guess I wasted a lot of money in the past buying those $30.00+ A/V DAs from Crap Shack. :lol:

#59 OFFLINE   rta53

rta53

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:50 AM

Also, why would one really want to bring up the guide/menu UI while dubbing a program onto a recordable DVD anyway?

It's not about bringing up the guide. You get the message whenever you try to view any content on the DTV DVR until change the output to SD.

#60 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:00 AM

I use the "List" menu to choose what to record on DVD.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...