Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv's nasty message-using component-composite adaptor

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

I use the "List" menu to choose what to record on DVD.

OK, I guess you must be watching the output of the DVD recorder when making dubs. My brother does (or mostly "did" nowadays) the same on his old DVD recorder when he wants to dub shows from DVR to DVD, which is increasingly rare for him these days.

As was stated then you need to either purchase the converter, or simply press and hold the EXIT key to switch the resolution to 480p (which means 480i on the composite and s-video connectors).

Edited by HoTat2, 24 February 2012 - 10:02 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

It's not about bringing up the guide. You get the message whenever you try to view any content on the DTV DVR until change the output to SD.

Oh I realize that, but for some reason I assumed he was watching the programs he wished to dub through the HDMI connector on an HDTV.

However I still see this may still be a problem because the "nasty message" takes a little while longer to disappear from the screen than the HD-GUI actually does, so it is best to simply change the resolution to 480p (which means 480i on the composite and s-video outputs of course) through the quick EXIT changeover feature.

#63 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

Also, why would one really want to bring up the guide/menu UI while dubbing a program onto a recordable DVD anyway?

It's not about bringing up the guide. You get the message whenever you try to view any content on the DTV DVR until change the output to SD.

And there lis the issue, for me. No, of course I don't want to record the guide, or any of the GUI graphics for that matter. Wehn I record a program, all I want is the program content. (I also don't want the bugs, snipes, and other clutter, but that is another discussion altogether!:() If that nasty "your television or cabling is not HD" message could be turned off, with a menu option say, it would suit me just fine having the HD outputs contain the GUI graphics, and the SD outputs just the video information for recording purposes. I never use the SD outputs for any other purpose. Please, give us the option to turn off that nasty message.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#64 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

OK, I guess you must be watching the output of the DVD recorder when making dubs. My brother does (or mostly "did" nowadays) the same on his old DVD recorder when he wants to dub shows from DVR to DVD, which is increasingly rare for him these days.

As was stated then you need to either purchase the converter, or simply press and hold the EXIT key to switch the resolution to 480p (which means 480i on the composite and s-video connectors).

That's right except that I turn the TV off while it's recording. I have 4 DVRs and one non DVR in the room so I can leave all of my DVRs at 480p and record from them with no problems. When I want to watch anything in HD I watch it through the receiver at 1080i with WH and I still get HD from all of the DVRs even though their output is set to SD, it comes through to the receiver at 1080i. It's working well but lots of people are only using one DVR and a DVD recorder.

#65 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

Is it possible to capture DirecTV2PC video via a PC / MAC video capture card or graphics card HDMI, composite, or s-video output? Seems to me this would get around the SD message.

PrimeStar/DIRECTV subscriber since 10/30/1994.
Roswell, GA (Atlanta Area)
2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
MRV - D* SWiM LNB, PI-21 module, and Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W)
Linksys WRT310N

#66 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

Although in the past when I ever considered splitting an analog composite or s-video signal I was typically advised by others I'd be better served spending more money and use an A/V composite or s-video distribution amplifier to avoid a 6 db (or more) voltage splitting loss and maintain the proper 1 volt p-p NTSC composite or .7v luma/.3v chroma s-video level at the input of other equipment.

Humm .... if your cheap splitter works out OK then I guess I wasted a lot of money in the past buying those $30.00+ A/V DAs from Crap Shack. :lol:

No noticeable difference in video quality on either the Slingbox video or the kitchen CRT SD TV when using the "cheap (S-video) splitter" from Monoprice. Tried temporarily disconnecting first one and then the other.
Stew in Florida

HR21-100 (eSATA: Seagate Barracuda 750gb/Antec MX-1), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Onkyo A/V (optical), Slingbox Pro/WLI-TX4-G54HP
HR20-700 (eSATA: FreeAgent Pro 750gb), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Pioneer A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi LT-37132 (HDMI), Sony A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi WD-65731 (HDMI)
H20-600 (x 2)

#67 OFFLINE   stebro

stebro

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:28 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I purchased a converter on eBay that is very similar to the one at Monoprice (Monoprice has been out of stock). I connected it as suggested in about five minutes and the dreaded Directv message has gone away. Subjectively, I think the picture may even be improved on my auxiliary television.

#68 OFFLINE   sytyguy

sytyguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:11 AM

Aside from the nasty message, which doesn't bother me, I have a worse situation, it will not allow me to even view certain videos I have recorded like The Green Zone at all on the SD TV's. I have a modulator that is connected via composite to the receiver (HR24), and outputted via coax to an amplified splitter, which is distributed to 7 other TV's, and obviously connected to TV's via coax.

I guess I need to find an converter to go from component to coax?
1 HR20_700, 2 HR24-100, Network on, HDMI connected, No OTA.

#69 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:17 AM

Aside from the nasty message, which doesn't bother me, I have a worse situation, it will not allow me to even view certain videos I have recorded like The Green Zone at all on the SD TV's. I have a modulator that is connected via composite to the receiver (HR24), and outputted via coax to an amplified splitter, which is distributed to 7 other TV's, and obviously connected to TV's via coax.

I guess I need to find an converter to go from component to coax?

Component to composite then into your modulator and coax out to the splitter.

#70 OFFLINE   sytyguy

sytyguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:33 AM

Correct!

#71 OFFLINE   sytyguy

sytyguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

I ordered this item a couple of days ago, hopefully it will solve my problems, http://www.joyfay.co...-converter.html

#72 OFFLINE   stebro

stebro

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

That's the same model I bought in eBay. Works very well.

#73 OFFLINE   sytyguy

sytyguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:06 PM

Great to hear! And from that response, I think I will order another for my other HR24, right now.

#74 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

I ordered this item a couple of days ago, hopefully it will solve my problems, http://www.joyfay.co...-converter.html

I tried two of these devices (one almost identical to this one, the other MUCH more expensive) and neither of them encoded and passed along the EMBEDDED closed captioning information. The DirecTV DVR has the embedded closed captioning in the composite and S-Video streams, so I can turn it off and on with the CC button on my television, but passing the component video through this box strips that out. I can turn it on using the DVR, but that put it in overtly in the video, and it can no longer be disabled or removed, which isn't what I want.:(
Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#75 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

I tried two of these devices (one almost identical to this one, the other MUCH more expensive) and neither of them encoded and passed along the EMBEDDED closed captioning information. The DirecTV DVR has the embedded closed captioning in the composite and S-Video streams, so I can turn it off and on with the CC button on my television, but passing the component video through this box strips that out. I can turn it on using the DVR, but that put it in overtly in the video, and it can no longer be disabled or removed, which isn't what I want.:(

I didn't think closed captioning could be sent over component or HDMI? I don't think these boxes are stripping that info out, I'm pretty sure it's not there to begin with.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#76 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

I didn't think closed captioning could be sent over component or HDMI? I don't think these boxes are stripping that info out, I'm pretty sure it's not there to begin with.

I have had others say that to me, BUT, one of my televisions has no problem displaying the CC info from a component source. My other television, which is newer, does it sporatically at best, but the older one displays it very well.
Luke

#77 OFFLINE   rta53

rta53

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

I have a co-worker who recently got DTV and he was asking me about an issue that came up. He said his TV only has 1 HDMI input so he went to Best Buy and bought an HDMI switch so he could connect his Blu-ray player also. He said when he switched the TV to the Blu-ray player he got the message about being connected to an SD device. Why would he see this if he is using HDMI cables? He did say the player has wifi and he also used it to stream Netflix. Could this be what caused the message to pop up. Someone said it must be how he has his Blu-ray configured.

Why would the DTV box even be in the picture if it's just the Blu-ray and the TV holding hands?

#78 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:15 AM

I have a co-worker who recently got DTV and he was asking me about an issue that came up. He said his TV only has 1 HDMI input so he went to Best Buy and bought an HDMI switch so he could connect his Blu-ray player also. He said when he switched the TV to the Blu-ray player he got the message about being connected to an SD device. Why would he see this if he is using HDMI cables? He did say the player has wifi and he also used it to stream Netflix. Could this be what caused the message to pop up. Someone said it must be how he has his Blu-ray configured.

Why would the DTV box even be in the picture if it's just the Blu-ray and the TV holding hands?

It wouldn't. Something else must be wrong, possibly the switch. Have him disconnect the DVR and see if the Blue Ray works with the switch by itself.

#79 OFFLINE   pogo

pogo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

Still here. Still with D*. Got a monoprice box, so I no longer have the message. Box is still slower than canned molasses, but JEEZ aint that HD guide something? (not)

#80 OFFLINE   sytyguy

sytyguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:45 AM

I finally received my Component Video to Composite Video device, and the nasty message has gone away. However, I still cannot watch certain recordings like "Game of Thrones" and the "Green Zone". It says to connect via component, which I am, so I guess I will call DTV, and see what they have to say...... good luck on that.

BTW, closed captioning works fine with this box.

Cheers

Protected By... spam firewall...And...