Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv's nasty message-using component-composite adaptor

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:52 AM

I finally received my Component Video to Composite Video device, and the nasty message has gone away. However, I still cannot watch certain recordings like "Game of Thrones" and the "Green Zone". It says to connect via component, which I am, so I guess I will call DTV, and see what they have to say...... good luck on that.

BTW, closed captioning works fine with this box.

Cheers

I bet you're also using an HDMI connection from that box.....if you disconnect it or turn on the TV that the HDMI is connected to the message about 'connecting via component' will go away. It has something to do with the HDMI handshake.
Vin

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   sytyguy

sytyguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:16 AM

Genius! Funny thing is, I apparently had the TV that is connected via HDMI on when I first tried it, and I could view the recordings, but I had to go back into the house for something, and prior to going back outside I turned off the TV connected via HDMI.

I wonder, but haven't tried it, if it might work with composite providing the TV connected via HDMI is on?

Anyway, many thanks for the suggestion. I would never have thought of that.

Cheers
1 HR20_700, 2 HR24-100, Network on, HDMI connected, No OTA.

#83 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:08 AM

Genius! Funny thing is, I apparently had the TV that is connected via HDMI on when I first tried it, and I could view the recordings, but I had to go back into the house for something, and prior to going back outside I turned off the TV connected via HDMI.

I wonder, but haven't tried it, if it might work with composite, providing the TV connected via HDMI is on?

Anyway, many thanks for the suggestion. I would never have thought of that.

Cheers

No, the original message that this thread is about can't be eliminated by having the HDMI connected TV turned on.
Vin

#84 OFFLINE   sytyguy

sytyguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

No, the original message that this thread is about can't be eliminated by having the HDMI connected TV turned on.

I am aware of that, I was talking about be able to view recorded material. Like I said earlier, I don't care about the "nasty message.

#85 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

I am aware of that, I was talking about be able to view recorded material. Like I said earlier, I don't care about the "nasty message.

Gotcha, sorry, missed your earlier post. Just curious, before you got the component to composite video adapter were you already using the component and HDMI outputs of the HR24 (in addtion to composite to RF modulator) at the time you started getting the message telling you to 'connect via component'?
Vin

#86 OFFLINE   sytyguy

sytyguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

Just curious, before you got the component to composite video adapter were you already using the component and HDMI outputs of the HR24 (in addtion to composite to RF modulator) at the time you started getting the message telling you to 'connect via component'?

I have never used component outputs, just HDMI, and, of course, the composite to RF modulator.

I still use the RF modulator, but it plugs into the output of this device. Oh, and the picture is as good as it was prior to this device, if anyone cares.

#87 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

I have never used component outputs, just HDMI, and, of course, the composite to RF modulator.

I still use the RF modulator, but it plugs into the output of this device.

Okay, so it's the combination of HDMI and component or composite that results in the message 'connect via component'. In that case I would think the answer to your question "if it might work with composite, providing the TV connected via HDMI is on?" would have to be yes...assuming you haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Vin

#88 OFFLINE   sytyguy

sytyguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

In that case I would think the answer to your question "if it might work with composite, providing the TV connected via HDMI is on?" would have to be yes...assuming you haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I did try it, but prior to turning on the outside TV, I presented the "LIST" display on the TV. Interesting thing is the outside TV did not display the "list" at all just the channel program. Of course, I had the inside DVR attached TV on. I have never seen that symtom before.

#89 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

I finally received my Component Video to Composite Video device, and the nasty message has gone away. However, I still cannot watch certain recordings like "Game of Thrones" and the "Green Zone". It says to connect via component, which I am, so I guess I will call DTV, and see what they have to say...... good luck on that.

BTW, closed captioning works fine with this box.

Cheers

When you say that closed captioning works fine with this box, what exactly do you mean?

The closed captioning that I claim did not work with the component to composite converter that I tried, is the imbedded closed captioning that you turn on and off, NOT with the DirecTV receiver, but the television CC button. When I am displaying the composite or S-Video signal on my television, if I press the CC button on the remote, the captions turn on (and off). When I record that signal using my DVD recorder, then play back the recording, I can also turn the CC on and off uisng the television's CC button. When I used the Component to composite/S-Video converter, the IMBEDDED caption information had been stripped form the signal, and pressing the CC button on the television did not display the captions.

If you are still getting the imbedded caption information in the video stream from yout composite to component converter, then what brand of converter are you using?

Note: I am NOT talking about the captioning information that appears when you turn captioning ON using your DirecTV receiver. This places the information in the visible part of the picure, NOT IMBEDDED, and when you record that video stream, it is no longer possible to turn the captions off. They have become a part of the picture.

My television displays the CC information using the television's CC button when I am viewing the component feed from the DirecTVs receiver, so I know the information is in there.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#90 OFFLINE   sytyguy

sytyguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

If you are still getting the imbedded caption information in the video stream from yout composite to component converter, then what brand of converter are you using?

Note: I am NOT talking about the captioning information that appears when you turn captioning ON using your DirecTV receiver. This places the information in the visible part of the picure, NOT IMBEDDED, and when you record that video stream, it is no longer possible to turn the captions off. They have become a part of the picture.

My television displays the CC information using the television's CC button when I am viewing the component feed from the DirecTVs receiver, so I know the information is in there.

Here is the link to the converter I am using, http://www.joyfay.co...-converter.html

I am going from component to composite to coax to another TV, and yes it displays the CC on both TV's, which are both attached to the same DVR, the other one is attached via HDMI.

HTH

#91 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

However I still see this may still be a problem because the "nasty message" takes a little while longer to disappear from the screen than the HD-GUI actually does, so it is best to simply change the resolution to 480p (which means 480i on the composite and s-video outputs of course) through the quick EXIT changeover feature.

When I turn my DVD recorder on, I get the "nasty message" and then the DVR not only switches to 480p, but it actually disables 720p and 1080i. This means that when I finish recording something, it's not just a matter of changing the format on the DVR, I first have to go into the setup menu to reactivate 720p and 1080i.

Is the above post implying that, if I remember to change the resolution to 480p (or 480i) before I turn the DVD Recorder on, the DVR won't disable 720p and 1080i as being valid resolutions?

#92 OFFLINE   sytyguy

sytyguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

@Bill Broderick

Is it possible that you do not have the TV ON, and connected via HDMI to the DVR, or component? If so, this could be the same problem I had with a similar problem.

#93 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

@Bill Broderick

Is it possible that you do not have the TV ON, and connected via HDMI to the DVR, or component? If so, this could be the same problem I had with a similar problem.

No. The TV is connected to the DVR via HDMI. The DVD Recorder is connected to the DVR via S-video/analog audio and the DVD recorder is then connected to the TV via HDMI.

When I turn the DVD recorder on and switch the TV to HDMI 2 (DVD recorder), I get the message and then the HD resolutions on the DVR get disabled.

#94 OFFLINE   sytyguy

sytyguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

I would think that would get rid of the "nasty" message. Have you tried to go component from the DVR to the DVD recorder, or is that no possible?

#95 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

I would think that would get rid of the "nasty" message. Have you tried to go component from the DVR to the DVD recorder, or is that no possible?

For me, that's not possible. There is no component in on the DVR. To avoid the message, it appears that I have to get the component to composite converter. However, I can live with the message if I can prevent the DVR from disabling the HD resolutions.

When I copy to the DVD recorder I set it and walk away. So, I really don't care that it changed the resolution. I just don't want to have to go back into the setup menu to reactivate the HD resolutions before I can change it back when I do decide to watch that TV.

#96 OFFLINE   sytyguy

sytyguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

For me, that's not possible. There is no component in on the DVR.

Wow, I have never owned a DVR that didn't have component, although I've never used them until now. What model is it that you have?

#97 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

Only a precious few DVD recorders with component inputs were ever marketed in North America. Those that were, seemed to be bug and failure prone. None of them were actually able to record high def video. They required the component output be set to 480i in order to record.

For me, that's not possible. There is no component in on the DVR. To avoid the message, it appears that I have to get the component to composite converter. However, I can live with the message if I can prevent the DVR from disabling the HD resolutions.

What exactly are you saying here? You are using the DVR to output the signal TO the DVD recorder, right? Then it does not matter if the DVR has a component input.

Wow, I have never owned a DVR that didn't have component, although I've never used them until now. What model is it that you have?

Are you talking about a component output?

:confused:
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#98 OFFLINE   sytyguy

sytyguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

Are you talking about a component output?
:confused:

Yes, from the DVR.

#99 OFFLINE   grcooperjr

grcooperjr

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

Thanks for starting this thread.... I had the same issue and was going to buy the adapter listed here, but I end up getting the HDMI to svideo adapter. Works way cool.

Here's the link to the converter....

#100 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:08 AM

Geez people it's pretty simple. Get a STB for each TV you have .....DTV receivers are stand-alone so wire any other accesories directly to your TV on a different input...and you won't have any issues...try to run 4 TV's with three DVD recorders all wired to one receiver and you will have problems. Buy the freakin DVD or Blu Ray......one gets what one pays for...hahahaha
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...