Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv's nasty message-using component-composite adaptor

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Joe C

Joe C

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:01 AM

Thanks for starting this thread.... I had the same issue and was going to buy the adapter listed here, but I end up getting the HDMI to svideo adapter. Works way cool.

Here's the link to the converter....

I have the same adaptor. Do you have MRV ? I do and when I MRV a show to the DVR that this adaptor is connected to it I get the garbled UI graphics on the SD TV. Here is the setup: HR24-500 HDMI out> Monoprice 1 X 4 HDMI splitter > 1 splitter output to Samsung HDTV > 1 splitter output to adaptor listed above, then composite to secondary SD TV.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:06 AM

Geez people it's pretty simple. Get a STB for each TV you have .....DTV receivers are stand-alone so wire any other accesories directly to your TV on a different input...and you won't have any issues...try to run 4 TV's with three DVD recorders all wired to one receiver and you will have problems. Buy the freakin DVD or Blu Ray......one gets what one pays for...hahahaha

The converters work just fine and with no monthly fee.

#103 OFFLINE   sytyguy

sytyguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

The converters work just fine and with no monthly fee.

Exactly, I have 7 TVs through out the house, five of which are modulated from 2 DVR's to a smart box, then split from a amplified splitter to TV's without a STB......and yes, no monthly fees. To handle the TV's without an STB I have 2 RF remotes, an old MX-800, and a Harmony 900, so any non-STB TV can operate a DVR from any place including outside, where I have 2 TVs.
1 HR20_700, 2 HR24-100, Network on, HDMI connected, No OTA.

#104 OFFLINE   grcooperjr

grcooperjr

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

I have the same adaptor. Do you have MRV ? I do and when I MRV a show to the DVR that this adaptor is connected to it I get the garbled UI graphics on the SD TV. Here is the setup: HR24-500 HDMI out> Monoprice 1 X 4 HDMI splitter > 1 splitter output to Samsung HDTV > 1 splitter output to adaptor listed above, then composite to secondary SD TV.

Well... I'm using this adaptor to feed a Panasonic DMR E500h dvr/dvd burner. Its connected thru the Hdmi adaptor to a 1x4 hdmi spliter/amp and then to the Hr34. The spliter feeds 1 TV and one projector in the family room and a TV in my office.

#105 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

Geez people it's pretty simple. Get a STB for each TV you have .....DTV receivers are stand-alone so wire any other accesories directly to your TV on a different input...and you won't have any issues...try to run 4 TV's with three DVD recorders all wired to one receiver and you will have problems. Buy the freakin DVD or Blu Ray......one gets what one pays for...hahahaha

That is a simplistic, simple-minded, and unacceptable option. I have six DVD recorders connected to two televisions. Exactly how many DirecTV receivers do you suggest I get?
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#106 OFFLINE   Thwarter

Thwarter

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

Not sure if this is the right spot, but I think a DTV rep might have just told me a way to get rid of the non-HD cables nag screen. Pardon me if this is an already known solution, but it's new to me.

In the Settings/Display/TV Resolutions, uncheck every resolution except 1080P. 1080P needs to be the ONLY resolution checked.

Setting it up that way, I get HD on my HDMI output for my main TV, plus I also see output on the S-Video (what I have going to my PC-TV card in another room) and I no longer get the nag screen.

Also have Settings/Display/Video/Native set to Off.

Seems like it's working OK - and I don't see the nag screen anymore on my s-video connection.

This work for anyone else?
DirecTV HR22-100
Yamaha RX-A3000
Sony KDL-55HX800
Sony PlayStation 3 (40GB Fat and 160GB Slim)
Definitive Technology BP-20 (F), CLR-1000 ©, BP-2 ®, PowerField 1500 (sub)
Monster HTS2500 PowerCenter
Sony SAT-A2 (retired)

DirecTV Customer since Oct '96

#107 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

I have not heard of this, but I will definitely try the 1080p suggestion. I hope it works.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#108 OFFLINE   grcooperjr

grcooperjr

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

Not sure if this is the right spot, but I think a DTV rep might have just told me a way to get rid of the non-HD cables nag screen. Pardon me if this is an already known solution, but it's new to me.

In the Settings/Display/TV Resolutions, uncheck every resolution except 1080P. 1080P needs to be the ONLY resolution checked.

Setting it up that way, I get HD on my HDMI output for my main TV, plus I also see output on the S-Video (what I have going to my PC-TV card in another room) and I no longer get the nag screen.

Seems like it's working OK - and I don't see the nag screen anymore on my s-video connection.

Thats interesting... But for me it wont work. All of my tv's are 1080i's so they want display a 1080p signal. Havent found a reason yet to change out all of my tvs to get 1080p. The quality difference is just not enough to warrant the cost. Anyway, the rest is set to native-off and 1080i only and I still get the message if I use Svideo or composite to press and hold the exit key to switch to SD video. So the HDMI converter/adapter works just great and at a way cheaper cost than replacing 8 tvs to get 1080p

#109 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,522 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

Wow, I have never owned a DVR that didn't have component, although I've never used them until now. What model is it that you have?

I'm sorry. I meant to write that the DVD recorder doesn't have Component In (not the DVR).

The other day, I realized that I don't need to go into the menu to turn the HD resolutions back on when I'm done recording. All I need to do is to press and hold the EXIT button and the DVR reverts back to the settings from prior to turning on the DVD Recorder.

#110 OFFLINE   Bruceski44

Bruceski44

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

Thanks for the great tip, but it doesn't work on my composite output. I use the HDMI for my local HT receiver, send the component video to my patio HDTV via a 75' VGA cable and modulate the audio and video for distribution to 3 SD TVs around the house. Using the modulator, I can distribute any one of three sources to any remote SD TV, so the grandkids can be watching a DVD in the playroom while I watch a HD show in the family room for example. All my equipment is located in the family room and I wired the whole house for audio video and other material. I agree with the premise that this message should be optionally disabled for situations like mine where I recognize the difference between HDMI, component and composite and also know the difference between HD and SD material.

Someone in this thread said something like "you only get what you pay for." In my situation, functionality that I once had was diminished while prices are increasing. I object to this. I will not buy more stuff to duplicate what I had, but instead ask DTV to make the message a user option that is on by default, but can be disabled in the Setup->Preferences screen.

#111 OFFLINE   mdb

mdb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

Please forgive my ignorance, but I need a some clarification. I have an RCA cable from the box to a second TV (the cable is under the house so don't really want to have to change it) The second TV has all inputs. Is this the box I need to convert the RCA? It doesn't look like it has an RCA connection.
http://www.monoprice...format=2&ref=cj

#112 OFFLINE   sytyguy

sytyguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

No, it looks like it is for component video and RCA audio only.

#113 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

Looks like the right one to me if you are trying to take the component video output and change it over to composite video. Look at the rest of the pictures, the composite video and 3.5mm audio output jacks are on the opposite side of the box from the component inputs.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#114 OFFLINE   mdb

mdb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

The cable I'm trying to convert is yellow/red/white which I don't see on this box.
What about this one? RCA to HDMI
http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

#115 OFFLINE   sytyguy

sytyguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

Looks like the right one to me if you are trying to take the component video output and change it over to composite video. Look at the rest of the pictures, the composite video and 3.5mm audio output jacks are on the opposite side of the box from the component inputs.

It appears he only has RCA cables (Composite) coming in to the 2nd TV, no Component.

That converter box converts Component to Composite Video and S-Video.

So perhaps I am missing something.

#116 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,820 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

It appears he only has RCA cables (Composite) coming in to the 2nd TV, no Component.

That converter box converts Component to Composite Video and S-Video.

So perhaps I am missing something.

My guess is hes trying to convert component to composite so he can view the on screen guides and menus on the 2nd TV.

#117 OFFLINE   sytyguy

sytyguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:07 AM

The cable I'm trying to convert is yellow/red/white which I don't see on this box.
What about this one? RCA to HDMI

I would say that should serve your purpose.

#118 OFFLINE   sytyguy

sytyguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

My guess is hes trying to convert component to composite so he can view the on screen guides and menus on the 2nd TV.

But he only has composite coming into the other TV.

#119 OFFLINE   mdb

mdb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

Yes, 'she' has only red/yellow/white coming into 2nd TV. Trying to get the 'NO HD' message turned off for guide display. Thanks for your help - Much appreciated.

#120 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,859 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

Yes, 'she' has only red/yellow/white coming into 2nd TV. Trying to get the 'NO HD' message turned off for guide display. Thanks for your help - Much appreciated.

This converter converts Component to Composite and will do away with the message you have. Many people are suing this one.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...