Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv's nasty message-using component-composite adaptor

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   sytyguy

sytyguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

This converter converts Component to Composite and will do away with the message you have. Many people are suing this one.
http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

Again, and as "She" (Sorry) mentioned only has Composite (red, white and yellow) coming in, not Component coming in.
1 HR20_700, 2 HR24-100, Network on, HDMI connected, No OTA.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   sytyguy

sytyguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

Yes, 'she' has only red/yellow/white coming into 2nd TV. Trying to get the 'NO HD' message turned off for guide display. Thanks for your help - Much appreciated.

I don't believe you can get rid of the "nasty message" using Composite from the box. I had to use component from the box, and then out to the TV via composite, which that converter you linked to will do, in fact, that is the box I use.

#123 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,824 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

Please forgive my ignorance, but I need a some clarification. I have an RCA cable from the box to a second TV (the cable is under the house so don't really want to have to change it) The second TV has all inputs. Is this the box I need to convert the RCA? It doesn't look like it has an RCA connection.
http://www.monoprice...format=2&ref=cj

Under the picture, click on Large / More Views.
It shows the other side of the adapter. Note that it has the Yellow connection.
You leave the red and white plugged into the receiver as you have it now.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#124 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

I guess we need to clarify. I think he is trying to hook up one HD receiver to two TVs. He has a HDMI cable run from the HD receiver to the TV right by it. He has a composite video and audio cable running to the second TV, under the house to the other room. The other TV is giving him the annoying pop up about switching resolutions and he is trying to get rid of that.

That can be solved using the component to composite converter he has linked to here.

He would hook up a short component video/analog audio cable between the HD receiver, and this converter's inputs. He would then hook up the composite video cable, and the analog RCA cables to the ouputs of this converter box. He would need something like this to split the 3.5mm stereo outputs back out into left and right RCA jacks.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#125 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,801 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

I guess we need to clarify. I think he is trying to hook up one HD receiver to two TVs. He has a HDMI cable run from the HD receiver to the TV right by it. He has a composite video and audio cable running to the second TV, under the house to the other room. The other TV is giving him the annoying pop up about switching resolutions and he is trying to get rid of that.

That can be solved using the component to composite converter he has linked to here.

He would hook up a short component video/analog audio cable between the HD receiver, and this converter's inputs. He would then hook up the composite video cable, and the analog RCA cables to the ouputs of this converter box. He would need something like this to split the 3.5mm stereo outputs back out into left and right RCA jacks.

She can run the audio straight from the receiver, there is no need to run the audio through the adapter, just the video. This is how I did it with mine and it works fine.

#126 OFFLINE   sytyguy

sytyguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

You are correct, but you don't need the 3.5 output, and Jimmy is correct, just use the Composite (RCA cables, red,white and yellow) from the converter to her RCA (Composite) cables, which go under the house.
I just looked at my setup, and that is the way I have it. Sorry, I forgot.

#127 OFFLINE   mdb

mdb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

I've ordered the converter as discussed. I'll take a component cable (gr/bl/red) from the receiver and into the converter. Then plug in the yellow part of the composite that runs under the house into the yellow output on the other side of the converter. The audio doesn't have to go through the converter.
Originally I was thinking that the input into the back of the 2nd tv (that's giving me the 'NO HD' message) had to be into the component or the HDMI input of that tv. But from what I think I understand now, is that the yellow composite input stays where it is now on the 2nd tv and the converting is done coming out of the receiver with the addition of a component cable.

#128 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

I wasn't sure if not running the audio through the component to composite converter would cause an audio sync issue between the picture and the sound. I thought the processing being done to the component signal in order to output it over composite might cause enough of a delay to cause the video to be slightly behind the audio. I figured $0.42 to be able to run both through the converter and eliminate that chance would be worth it.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#129 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

Originally I was thinking that the input into the back of the 2nd tv (that's giving me the 'NO HD' message) had to be into the component or the HDMI input of that tv. But from what I think I understand now, is that the yellow composite input stays where it is now on the 2nd tv and the converting is done coming out of the receiver with the addition of a component cable.

Well that depends which nag message you are trying to get rid of. Doing what we are suggesting here will get rid of the error message about the resolution stuff.

However, if you are trying to get rid of the message on the HBO/Cinemax/Starz channels about your HDMI not working right, and you need to switch to component, this fix is not going to help with that. That is a problem caused by improper HDMI handshaking going on (usually because there is a TV hooked up over HDMI that isn't turned on). Getting rid of that requires either using component video for both TVs, or HDMI to both TVs through a splitter.
-by Jack Handy

#130 OFFLINE   mdb

mdb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

It's not the HBO/Cinimax/Stars HDMI issue, it's the (can't remember exactly what it says but) 'your tv does not support HD' when I try to access the guide or list.

#131 OFFLINE   sytyguy

sytyguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

Well that depends which nag message you are trying to get rid of. Doing what we are suggesting here will get rid of the error message about the resolution stuff.

However, if you are trying to get rid of the message on the HBO/Cinemax/Starz channels about your HDMI not working right, and you need to switch to component, this fix is not going to help with that. That is a problem caused by improper HDMI handshaking going on (usually because there is a TV hooked up over HDMI that isn't turned on). Getting rid of that requires either using component video for both TVs, or HDMI to both TVs through a splitter.

Actually, this converter got rid of both of those messages for me.

#132 OFFLINE   goracers

goracers

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

I am hoping someone can help with this issue with the Monoprice converter. I installed this converter earlier this year, and it solved the issues as advertised. However, this week the red light on it started flashing, and now video is not working on the TVs where the signal should be passing. I reached out to Monoprice and they thought there might be an incoming signal issue, but it checked out when directly routing the cables. Also, I checked another converter and had the same issue.

Has anyone seen this type of behavior?

#133 OFFLINE   sytyguy

sytyguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

I have two of those converters, and I have not experience your problem. Sorry I could not be of more help.

I wonder if it not just defective, even though it seemed to check out.

#134 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

I am hoping someone can help with this issue with the Monoprice converter. I installed this converter earlier this year, and it solved the issues as advertised. However, this week the red light on it started flashing, and now video is not working on the TVs where the signal should be passing. I reached out to Monoprice and they thought there might be an incoming signal issue, but it checked out when directly routing the cables. Also, I checked another converter and had the same issue.

I think I have seen this, and if I remember correctly, I just unplugged it and plugged it back in and the problem went away. If I am NOT remembering this properly, could it have something to do with content protection? Does it happen on all channels, or just some of them? Might you have damaged the power supply?
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#135 OFFLINE   jfr0317

jfr0317

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

Bump. I am having the exact same problem (no composite output from the converter and blinking red-light). I have two HR-24's connected to my main TV via HDMI, and I have their component outputs connected to the Monoprice component to composite converters, which are connected to my McIntosh CR12 multi-zone preamp (it's a 1990's vintage unit, composite video only). I have tried connecting the component outputs directly to another TV, and they then work fine.

All of this just started in the last few weeks, but I didn't have a chance to start troubleshooting until today.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

#136 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,801 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Bump. I am having the exact same problem (no composite output from the converter and blinking red-light). I have two HR-24's connected to my main TV via HDMI, and I have their component outputs connected to the Monoprice component to composite converters, which are connected to my McIntosh CR12 multi-zone preamp (it's a 1990's vintage unit, composite video only). I have tried connecting the component outputs directly to another TV, and they then work fine.

All of this just started in the last few weeks, but I didn't have a chance to start troubleshooting until today.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

I had the exact same issue with mine that you guys are having with yours. If the red lights are flashing and no video is coming through then the units are dead, you will need to contact Monoprice for replacements. I had no issues getting mine replaced.

#137 OFFLINE   jfr0317

jfr0317

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

I had the exact same issue with mine that you guys are having with yours. If the red lights are flashing and no video is coming through then the units are dead, you will need to contact Monoprice for replacements. I had no issues getting mine replaced.

Thanks for the quick response! I will contact Monoprice tomorrow.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...