Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MLB Extra innings 2012

• Please log in to reply
787 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

I don't know if this is a deal or not. I was trying to see what kind of a deal I could get for the MLBEI package. He said he couldn't get me a deal on the MLBEI package, but he did say that he COULD give me FREE HD for 12 months ($10/month). I'm skeptical. I'm gonna watching my bill for the next year and see if I actually get the FREE HD.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

I don't know if this is a deal or not. I was trying to see what kind of a deal I could get for the MLBEI package. He said he couldn't get me a deal on the MLBEI package, but he did say that he COULD give me FREE HD for 12 months ($10/month). I'm skeptical. I'm gonna watching my bill for the next year and see if I actually get the FREE HD.

If you have auto-billpay, you can get Free HD for 2 yrs just by asking.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#43 OFFLINE   slinger45

slinger45

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:56 PM

i meant to post this the other day but after seeing this thread i called up...did cancel/cancel and talked to a nice older lady....after looking at my account for 15 mins or so and saying i didnt really have anymore room for credits (i got 20 off a month for ST and have 10 off my regular package and also the 24 month auto pay credit) so she said youve been here a long time so lets see if we can get this for free (as a discretionary credit)

long story short she put it on for a one time payment and then credited the whole amount os MLB EI is free for me this year.

guess it depends on csr roulette

#44 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,319 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

How does the dvr functionality work? Can you start the game from the beginning and ff thru commercials to catch up without seeing the score pop up? I found that very hard to do on the computer two years ago, and am curious how it works through the ps3 app (although I'd be using it through my Xbox/apple tv/ Samsung BD player.)

Yeah, you can start the game at the beginning if the game us under way, yes you can fast forward and you can pause. All in all its pretty neat. I loved it. Having the option to watch from my iPhone as well made it worth while even if the PQ is a little worse then D*. The PQ is not worth $100 with no way of watching on my iPhone.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#45 OFFLINE   skizer

skizer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

i meant to post this the other day but after seeing this thread i called up...did cancel/cancel and talked to a nice older lady....after looking at my account for 15 mins or so and saying i didnt really have anymore room for credits (i got 20 off a month for ST and have 10 off my regular package and also the 24 month auto pay credit) so she said youve been here a long time so lets see if we can get this for free (as a discretionary credit)

long story short she put it on for a one time payment and then credited the whole amount os MLB EI is free for me this year.

guess it depends on csr roulette

Looks like you win the best offer so far....congrats!!

#46 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

Yeah, you can start the game at the beginning if the game us under way, yes you can fast forward and you can pause. All in all its pretty neat. I loved it. Having the option to watch from my iPhone as well made it worth while even if the PQ is a little worse then D*. The PQ is not worth $100 with no way of watching on my iPhone.

Good to know. I have a slingbox, so iPhone streaming isn't a problem for me either way. It's just about price and comfort. I prefer to watch via DTV and add the sports pack for post game shows and such. But not for $100+ extra.

#47 OFFLINE   Spiffyis5150

Spiffyis5150

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

Just called to cancel the renewal of my freebie NFL Sunday Ticket(was part of my "we want you back" package when I came back in Nov). Asked to sign up for MLB EI at the same time and inquired if there were any discounts. Rep said she found a $10 discount for 6 months and asked if I wanted it. I said, "Definitely." It's probably not the best in terms of discounts, but considering I just came back and still have all my comeback discounts, and that I was expecting to pay full price, I'm happy. A discount is better than no discount in my book.

#48 OFFLINE   Ronmort

Ronmort

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

I received the $10 monthly discount also. I think that the fact I also have NBA LP may have helped get me the discount for MLB EI.

#49 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

Yeah, but I think the problem is a lot of us don't want to watch on a pc or in a motel room :lol:

There are many set top boxes that you can view it on as well. I can view it thru my Boxee Box, PS3, Samsung BluRay Player or my Roku.

I went with it last year for $119(this included both team's feeds, while $99 will get you only the home team's feed). I was so happy I did it. It saved me a bundle and I felt I had more features. Picking up a game in progress allows me to start at the beginning or right to the live action. Plus I can jump fro inning to inning to see what I missed. I just looked at the box score, saw where the scoring was and jumped right to that inning.

The video was excellent. I can't say it was as good as HD thru Directv's system, but it was surprisingly close. For the money I saved, I couldn't be happier with it.

To Devo1237...

There are no commercials. You just get a MLB Logo on the screen and nothing else till the telecast comes back on. However, early in the season, for a while, they did drop in some Buick(if I remember right) car commercial screenshots(static screenshots only) during normal commercial time.

Edited by Chuck W, 09 February 2012 - 02:30 PM.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#50 OFFLINE   GlennDio

GlennDio

Icon

• Registered
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:05 PM

To Devo1237...

There are no commercials. You just get a MLB Logo on the screen and nothing else till the telecast comes back on. However, early in the season, for a while, they did drop in some Buick(if I remember right) car commercial screenshots(static screenshots only) during normal commercial time.

It was Volvo ... if I had to watch another 5 seconds of those Volvo screenshots I was going to ....

#51 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:12 PM

There are many set top boxes that you can view it on as well. I can view it thru my Boxee Box, PS3, Samsung BluRay Player or my Roku.

I went with it last year for $119(this included both team's feeds, while $99 will get you only the home team's feed). I was so happy I did it. It saved me a bundle and I felt I had more features. Picking up a game in progress allows me to start at the beginning or right to the live action. Plus I can jump fro inning to inning to see what I missed. I just looked at the box score, saw where the scoring was and jumped right to that inning.

The video was excellent. I can't say it was as good as HD thru Directv's system, but it was surprisingly close. For the money I saved, I couldn't be happier with it.

To Devo1237...

Yeah, I know you can stream through set top boxes, something just struck me as funny when he said he wanted to be able to watch in motel rooms. Maybe I just have an odd sense of humor.

I'm also aware there aren't any ads, I just like to start an hour late and be able to ff through the breaks to catch up without seeing the score. When I watched on my computer I could skip to any half inning, which was awesome, but doing so showed you exactly how many runs were scored, which bugged me.

How's the streaming through your Samsung BD player? I know the ps3 looks nice.

#52 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

How's the streaming through your Samsung BD player? I know the ps3 looks nice.

It was ok, but the issue with the Samsung was that there was no way to specify a fixed quality setting. So what would happen is if the stream got bad for any reason, it pops up a dialog telling you that it's adjusting the quality.

That can REALLY REALLY get annoying if the stream isn't great. I couldn't find a way to prevent the dialog from coming up.

I use a Boxee Box now and that is much better. Early in the year, they added the ability to jump to an inning and be able to move around in the game better, so it is great.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#53 OFFLINE   Villager

Villager

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

I called in this AM and politely suggested that I would appreciate a discount on MLB EI for the coming year. I was offered $5/month for 6 months ($30). When I suggested that this was rather low, she explained that since I was getting $10/month off for HD Access, that was the best that she could do. But then she told me to call back in a month - closer to the date that they would actually start billing, and hinted that they might do better at that time.

#54 OFFLINE   diogenes433

diogenes433

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:09 AM

mlb.tv cheaper, 720p (just like all FSN broadcasts) and I can watch it on my pc or my toshiba thrive in a motel room. Plus gameday audio anywhere the video is blacked out

also 150 spring training games

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule

#55 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:19 AM

FWIW...

Tried to switch to NHL Gamecenter and MLB tv instead of Directv subscriptions using Roku. Gamecenter falls short, but MLB.TV does not! This is especially true in the summer when you are mobile on vacations. I do not miss Extra innings on Directv. I have three baseball RSNs plus MBL channel along with Roku. FIOS gives a great picture and Ipad, iPhone and Mac platforms are awesome to boot when on the road or at office!

#56 OFFLINE   joshadam84

joshadam84

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

I called a couple days ago to cancel EI.. I've had it and paid the full price each of the last three years. I did the cancel and cancel on the phone prompts and reached a CSR. The CSR seemed a bit unsure of himself but told me that I was already getting MLB EI for free for this upcoming season due to being a "valued customer." After telling me this, he put me on hold stating he wanted to make sure and check his resources. When he came back, he again said it looks like I have it for free. Obviously, there is no need to cancel it if it's free so I thanked him for his time and appreciated their service. Since I had no prior knowledge of receiving EI for free this year I plan on checking my March statement to see if there's a charge or not. If there is a charge, I'll just call back and try canceling again!

Anyone else experience this?

#57 OFFLINE   Boston_bill

Boston_bill

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:04 AM

I called a couple days ago to cancel EI.. I've had it and paid the full price each of the last three years. I did the cancel and cancel on the phone prompts and reached a CSR. The CSR seemed a bit unsure of himself but told me that I was already getting MLB EI for free for this upcoming season due to being a "valued customer." After telling me this, he put me on hold stating he wanted to make sure and check his resources. When he came back, he again said it looks like I have it for free. Obviously, there is no need to cancel it if it's free so I thanked him for his time and appreciated their service. Since I had no prior knowledge of receiving EI for free this year I plan on checking my March statement to see if there's a charge or not. If there is a charge, I'll just call back and try canceling again!

Anyone else experience this?

No offense but I truly cannot believe you got it for free. Congrats though. I hope you got the CSR name and documented the time of the call.

#58 OFFLINE   tj218

tj218

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:00 AM

FWIW...

Tried to switch to NHL Gamecenter and MLB tv instead of Directv subscriptions using Roku. Gamecenter falls short, but MLB.TV does not! This is especially true in the summer when you are mobile on vacations. I do not miss Extra innings on Directv. I have three baseball RSNs plus MBL channel along with Roku. FIOS gives a great picture and Ipad, iPhone and Mac platforms are awesome to boot when on the road or at office!

When I tried watching free games on MLB.tv via Roku I thought the quality was significantly worse. Quality was good/near HD when there was no action, but the second something happened.....was that just because it was the free-game of the day? (Pitcher's arm was pixelated, blurry when the ball was put into play, etc.) Did you notice that at all (My connection speed is 10mbps/sec so it is more than enough).

I do like how they give you MLB Network with EI (I am on the Family plan, so I wouldn't normally get it.)

If they were giving away Sunday Ticket to people in the Fall, I would hope that they could offer a significant savings for EI.

#59 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

When I tried watching free games on MLB.tv via Roku I thought the quality was significantly worse. Quality was good/near HD when there was no action, but the second something happened.....was that just because it was the free-game of the day? (Pitcher's arm was pixelated, blurry when the ball was put into play, etc.) Did you notice that at all (My connection speed is 10mbps/sec so it is more than enough).

I do like how they give you MLB Network with EI (I am on the Family plan, so I wouldn't normally get it.)

If they were giving away Sunday Ticket to people in the Fall, I would hope that they could offer a significant savings for EI.

Maybe it is your ISP speed, but I did not have similar issues. I have premier, therefore MLB Network is included. The mobility is huge for me. Watching a game on vacation or at a picnic and such is huge.

#60 OFFLINE   JohnDG

JohnDG

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:00 AM

also 150 spring training games

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule

So... DTV MLB EI is still SOL for spring training?

jdg

spam firewall