Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MLB Extra innings 2012

• Please log in to reply
787 replies to this topic

#601 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,437 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

Here is one of those things that fascinates me. The baseball quiz show, Baseball IQ, is currently blacked out on MLBNetwork. A game show is blacked out! I was tuning in to check on the Mets/Padres game anyway because the scoreguide said it was on MLB (it is actually on the alternate channel, though not listed in the guide), so I'm not upset about missing the game show, but that is a new height of strangeness in blackouts.

You get one and only one feed of the MLB channel. That could be the main channel on 213 or the alternate on 214/214-1. If 214 was live, then 213 is blacked out, no matter what is on. The scoreguide was wrong. It is sometimes wrong on MLB alternates as it is also often wrong on NBCSports alternates.

Right now, I am getting Mets/Padres on 214 and blacked out on 213. I cannot say what is on 213 but I am assuming it is the Tigers and Twins.

The Mets game started at 1 pm and the Tigers at 2 pm (ET). So, there is an hour where 213 would be blacked out without a live game if you are getting the Mets game.

The key is that you NEVER get both channels of MLB, no matter what is on.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#602 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

No Royals or Indians broadcast for their game today. MLB.tv only.

#603 OFFLINE   JoeS

JoeS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

With the Indians playing better I'm surprised MLB Network didn't pick up a feed of the game to air.

#604 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

With the Indians playing better I'm surprised MLB Network didn't pick up a feed of the game to air.

Maybe they should show it if they played the Yankees? Every time I go to watch a game on MLB or ESPN, I swear its the Yankees. Seems like Yankee fans have no need for Extra Innings.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#605 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 993 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

Maybe they should show it if they played the Yankees? Every time I go to watch a game on MLB or ESPN, I swear its the Yankees. Seems like Yankee fans have no need for Extra Innings.

A few years ago, one of the local sports talk personalities in Denver mentioned a conversation he had with someone at ESPN. The guy at ESPN told him that, as far as the four-letter network is concerned, it's the Yankees and Red Sox, and the other teams in baseball "might as well be the Washington Generals."

Having a displaced Cardinals fan in the household, it's frustrating when the Cardinals are scheduled on FOX, and our local FOX affiliate chooses the Yankees instead. Will FOX ever allow their games to appear on MLB EI? It sure would be nice if that ever happens within the next hundred years...

#606 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:08 AM

A few years ago, one of the local sports talk personalities in Denver mentioned a conversation he had with someone at ESPN. The guy at ESPN told him that, as far as the four-letter network is concerned, it's the Yankees and Red Sox, and the other teams in baseball "might as well be the Washington Generals."

Having a displaced Cardinals fan in the household, it's frustrating when the Cardinals are scheduled on FOX, and our local FOX affiliate chooses the Yankees instead. Will FOX ever allow their games to appear on MLB EI? It sure would be nice if that ever happens within the next hundred years...

Hopefully a new network will outbid Fox in the next contract negotiations. I read a rumor months back that MLB wanted all their programming on ESPN/ABC after next years season which is when the current TV contracts end.
Go Big Red!!!

#607 OFFLINE   dxtrfn80

dxtrfn80

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

No need for Extra Innings tonight if you live in Colorado or Houston markets as the other 2 games tonight are on MLB Network. And I hope ESPN/ABC gets the MLB contract so maybe they can show the Saturday games nationally with one on ABC, another on ESPN and another on ESPN2. Limit it to 3 games and use the ESPN and ESPN2 Alternate channels on DirectTV to make sure people have access to all of the Saturday afternoon or night games. Be like college football regional coverage on ABC/ESPN on Saturday afternoons.

#608 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

The Fox exclusive game thing is a mess. Another example of it: I now live in Cubs, White Sox, Tigers, and Reds territory.

The following 3 games will be on Baseball Night in America:
Cubs @ Giants
Reds @ Astros
Yankees @ Tigers

I live "In-Market" for all 3 games, all 3 games will be broadcast on TV, I have MLB Extra Innings, yet I can't watch the game I want (in 2012).

Another Saturday another Fox broadcast I won't watch 5 seconds of. Enjoy your local ad exclusivity nonsense stations. NFL on Fox figured it out with Sunday Ticket, apparently MLB can't.

#609 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:29 PM

The Fox exclusive game thing is a mess. Another example of it: I now live in Cubs, White Sox, Tigers, and Reds territory.

The following 3 games will be on Baseball Night in America:
Cubs @ Giants
Reds @ Astros
Yankees @ Tigers

I live "In-Market" for all 3 games, all 3 games will be broadcast on TV, I have MLB Extra Innings, yet I can't watch the game I want (in 2012).

Another Saturday another Fox broadcast I won't watch 5 seconds of. Enjoy your local ad exclusivity nonsense stations. NFL on Fox figured it out with Sunday Ticket, apparently MLB can't.

It's not a mess. FOX pays big bucks for exclusivity,

#610 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

It's not a mess. FOX pays big bucks for exclusivity,

And would you say the same thing if you were a Arizona Cardinals fan living in New Hampshire and the NFL removed all Fox NFL Sunday games from Sunday Ticket because "Fox pays big bucks for exclusivity"?

If Fox is paying a premium for exclusivity they are getting ripped off. The networks are living in the dark ages. They are suing Dish for the Hopper commercial skip feature. Instead of living on past business models they should be trying to expand their reach and impact. Fox exclusivity to watch local ads is like the newspaper raising it's price from 50 cents to 5 dollars to counter the decreasing lack of sales.

I'm glad Fox Saturday Baseball sucks overall so I don't have to put up with their sub-ESPN quality broadcast to watch a game.

#611 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

And would you say the same thing if you were a Arizona Cardinals fan living in New Hampshire and the NFL removed all Fox NFL Sunday games from Sunday Ticket because "Fox pays big bucks for exclusivity"?

If Fox is paying a premium for exclusivity they are getting ripped off. The networks are living in the dark ages. They are suing Dish for the Hopper commercial skip feature. Instead of living on past business models they should be trying to expand their reach and impact. Fox exclusivity to watch local ads is like the newspaper raising it's price from 50 cents to 5 dollars to counter the decreasing lack of sales.

I'm glad Fox Saturday Baseball sucks overall so I don't have to put up with their sub-ESPN quality broadcast to watch a game.

Apples to oranges comparison. A more valid one would be the NBA or NHL, not a league whose teams play just once a week.

And there are still problems in the NFL regarding blackouts.

I do think FOX should get rid of regional telecasts, but that would mean the Red Sox, Yankees, or Phillies every week in a read National Game of the Week with an exclusive time slot.

#612 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

I do think FOX should get rid of regional telecasts, but that would mean the Red Sox, Yankees, or Phillies every week in a read National Game of the Week with an exclusive time slot.

Sounds great to me. The less Tigers games with the crappy Fox broadcast the better.

#613 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

Apples to oranges comparison. A more valid one would be the NBA or NHL, not a league whose teams play just once a week.

I don't mind them doing regional games each week and don't care how many games they carry just as long as all are available on EI.
Go Big Red!!!

#614 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

No need for Extra Innings tonight if you live in Colorado or Houston markets as the other 2 games tonight are on MLB Network. And I hope ESPN/ABC gets the MLB contract so maybe they can show the Saturday games nationally with one on ABC, another on ESPN and another on ESPN2. Limit it to 3 games and use the ESPN and ESPN2 Alternate channels on DirectTV to make sure people have access to all of the Saturday afternoon or night games. Be like college football regional coverage on ABC/ESPN on Saturday afternoons.

at the end of last year directv had all 4 ESPN feeds in HD open to all.

but cable does not have the ESPN ALT feeds on there own channel.

Maybe if there was a ESPN 3 / ESPN over flow that was on all systems.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#615 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:36 AM

This.

People comparing NFLST to MLBEI just don't get it.

Hopefully all this stuff can be addressed in the Next Broadcast contract.

As for this season, MLB should limit Fox Game Of the Week to 2 Games.

"One" that is a quasi National Game of the Week, and the "Other" for inclement weather safeguard.

Other thing MLB should do, would be to make what ever time slot Fox chooses be it 1:00PM, 4:00PM or 7:00PM that slot should be cleared out of all other games.

If Fox chooses 1:00P Eastern, then all other teams would be prohibited from starting Games before 4:00P Eastern.

If Fox Chooses 4:00P Eastern then all other teams would have to slot Starting times into either the 1:00/ 7:00P/10:00P Eastern windows(West Coast starts only.

If Fox Chooses 7:00P then all others can play Day baseball.

Should help all parties: Fox, MLB, Fans, EI/MLBTV subs and local broadcast rights holders.

Not that hard to structure properly to benefit all concerned.
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#616 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:09 AM

This.

People comparing NFLST to MLBEI just don't get it.

Hopefully all this stuff can be addressed in the Next Broadcast contract.

As for this season, MLB should limit Fox Game Of the Week to 2 Games.

"One" that is a quasi National Game of the Week, and the "Other" for inclement weather safeguard.

Other thing MLB should do, would be to make what ever time slot Fox chooses be it 1:00PM, 4:00PM or 7:00PM that slot should be cleared out of all other games.

If Fox chooses 1:00P Eastern, then all other teams would be prohibited from starting Games before 4:00P Eastern.

If Fox Chooses 4:00P Eastern then all other teams would have to slot Starting times into either the 1:00/ 7:00P/10:00P Eastern windows(West Coast starts only.

If Fox Chooses 7:00P then all others can play Day baseball.

Should help all parties: Fox, MLB, Fans, EI/MLBTV subs and local broadcast rights holders.

Not that hard to structure properly to benefit all concerned.

That's a great solution. Too bad MLB isn't as smart as you. I never understood why FOX has to have 5 or more games in that time slot. Just go with a national game with a back up game like NBC used to do. With all the domes and retractable roofs now it wouldn't be hard to find a game at a venue like that so they wouldn't lose a week to rain.

#617 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,437 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:01 AM

That's a great solution. Too bad MLB isn't as smart as you. I never understood why FOX has to have 5 or more games in that time slot. Just go with a national game with a back up game like NBC used to do. With all the domes and retractable roofs now it wouldn't be hard to find a game at a venue like that so they wouldn't lose a week to rain.

Part of the problem is the independent scheduling by home teams. Within parameters, the home team decides what time the game will be played. National broadcasts force some time decisions but a game that is only locally broadcast can be whatever time the home team says. There are limits but choice of 1, 4 or 7 is pretty much not under MLB control.

Personally, I think it is a whole lot of nothing. A few games a week. Big deal.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#618 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

Part of the problem is the independent scheduling by home teams. Within parameters, the home team decides what time the game will be played. National broadcasts force some time decisions but a game that is only locally broadcast can be whatever time the home team says. There are limits but choice of 1, 4 or 7 is pretty much not under MLB control.

Personally, I think it is a whole lot of nothing. A few games a week. Big deal.

It could be mandated by MLB any time they choose. "Interest of Baseball Clause"

Easy to tell all teams this is the window you will schedule accordingly.

Something this easy shouldn't even rise to this level.

Easy fix to make it fan friendly and serve the business interests of all parties involved.
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#619 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

And if this ever happened (and it won't because NFL ST would die on the spot if it did since that's exactly what it's for) you'd have the choice to pay or not as you'd know this going into the season. It gets so ridiculous listening to people complain about being ripped off every year. You know the rules going in. And as I've stated in other threads before the rule is better than it used to be. Fox used to have national exclusivity from 1-7pm on Saturdays they aired games whether they aired at 1 or 4 and if half the league was on RSNs in the afternoon. Didn't matter as they were blacked out. At least now they get to only black out 1 slot now. Believe me, I am not a fan of the blackouts. Being a Braves fan in Tampa, when the Rays aren't on it's Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Phillies hell here. Even the Marlins who played a national game a couple weeks ago weren't shown here. It just gets so annoying listening to people year in and year out complain about this being "criminal" or MLB EI being a "ripoff" like the rules were changed midseason.

#620 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

It could be mandated by MLB any time they choose. "Interest of Baseball Clause"

Easy to tell all teams this is the window you will schedule accordingly.

Something this easy shouldn't even rise to this level.

Easy fix to make it fan friendly and serve the business interests of all parties involved.

The only problem with this is for some strange reason some teams have found a Saturday 6:30pm start works better for attendance than 7. So you are telling those teams that have this backed up with evidence "screw your attendance and finances. Start at 7 or after whether you like it or not."

spam firewall