Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MLB Extra innings 2012

• Please log in to reply
787 replies to this topic

#681 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:05 AM

Don't blame FOX, what they are doing is good business if they can get it.

I'm not convinced that it is, actually.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#682 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,461 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

Don't blame FOX, what they are doing is good business if they can get it. And guess who gave it to them? MLB.

I am sure it wasn't suggested by MLB as they will loose viewers on EI and MLB-TV. I just feel it is very selfish to have a tool to allow fans to view their favorite teams, then someone like FOX to come along and get greedy and try to force you to watch a team you don't care to see. I will also be boycotting their coverage of the All-Star game.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#683 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:11 AM

This really does suck. As FOX wants to hog the entire time period and force people to watch the game they want them to see, I am boycotting all FOX games.

I boycot Fox too. I only watch if the Reds are on here in Northern Virginia, which is rare. I can see why they do it but I wish they would offer the other games for a small add on fee with your EI package. I would probably pay a small premium to get those games. I mainly watch the Reds and they have been on FOX about three times so far this season. They have at least a couple of more scheduled coming up too. A game against the Cardinals that I would really like to see but probably can't.

#684 OFFLINE   golfnut-n-nh

golfnut-n-nh

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:44 AM

I know FOX has it's exclusive window on Saturday and I've learned to live with missing the Mets on Saturday's when they are not the Fox game in my area. Why has the amount of games gone up so much in the last month or two? It used to be three games every Saturday, now it's 5-6. This has doubled the odds of the Mets being a part of the FOX window and they're never shown in my area when they are.

I'm in the same boat as you knowing that Saturday's game against the Yankees will not be available because the Red Sox are on Fox. I guess I have to kick it "old school" and listen to the Howie Rose paint the word picture.

#685 OFFLINE   alevine1986

alevine1986

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:45 AM

I understand having the exclusive window so anyone who wants to watch a live baseball game can. FOX paid big bucks for it and it is good business to have an exclusive window to yourself. However, do you need to hijack six games in the exclusive window, so out of market fans of other ten teams playing cannot watch their team's game at another time outside the window? They really only need two games so they have a backup for a rained out game.

#686 OFFLINE   alevine1986

alevine1986

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:49 AM

I'm in the same boat as you knowing that Saturday's game against the Yankees will not be available because the Red Sox are on Fox. I guess I have to kick it "old school" and listen to the Howie Rose paint the word picture.

Sorry to hear that. I'm getting the Angels/Dodgers in Dallas, which makes sense since the Angels are the Rangers closest competition. It looks like no WPIX feed tonight either. We're going to have to watch the YES feed.

#687 OFFLINE   AquiringSat

AquiringSat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

No Pix 11 Feed Tonight ... lame :mad:
Proud DirecTV Subscriber since 1.6.2012 :)
HR-34
Premier Package
MLB Extra Innings

#688 OFFLINE   NYMase

NYMase

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

Why wouldn't there be a PIX feed tonight??? They've had them earlier this year so I don't understand why there isn't a feed tonight....I hope there isn't an issue with PIX and Directv

#689 OFFLINE   alevine1986

alevine1986

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:47 AM

Why wouldn't there be a PIX feed tonight??? They've had them earlier this year so I don't understand why there isn't a feed tonight....I hope there isn't an issue with PIX and Directv

The worst part was they had the channel 9 feed for the Yankees, not just a remap of the YES feed. I guess they didn't want to bring down two PPV movies for one game. At least with Leiter and Cone in the booth, I got to listen to two former Mets pitchers.

#690 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

I understand having the exclusive window so anyone who wants to watch a live baseball game can. FOX paid big bucks for it and it is good business to have an exclusive window to yourself. However, do you need to hijack six games in the exclusive window, so out of market fans of other ten teams playing cannot watch their team's game at another time outside the window? They really only need two games so they have a backup for a rained out game.

I said this a few weeks ago. The problem with that is some teams have found starting games at odd times helps their attendance. Here in Tampa they seem to love 6:30. So if the Rays aren't on Fox's national coverage it's not fair to tell the team "yes, we know your fans for whatever reason like a 6:30 start as opposed to 7. However, screw you. Start it at 7 because the 6 fans of yours in Tempe, AZ want to watch on MLB EI! No, I don't care how how your attendance suffers or how it hurts your finances."

All I'm saying is there is more to this than just requiring games start at "x" time, only having 2 games, etc.

#691 OFFLINE   alevine1986

alevine1986

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

I said this a few weeks ago. The problem with that is some teams have found starting games at odd times helps their attendance. Here in Tampa they seem to love 6:30. So if the Rays aren't on Fox's national coverage it's not fair to tell the team "yes, we know your fans for whatever reason like a 6:30 start as opposed to 7. However, screw you. Start it at 7 because the 6 fans of yours in Tempe, AZ want to watch on MLB EI! No, I don't care how how your attendance suffers or how it hurts your finances."

All I'm saying is there is more to this than just requiring games start at "x" time, only having 2 games, etc.

That's a different situation. In that situation the team knows the window and starts their game at that time knowing it won't be shown on TV to anyone, not even in Tampa. What I was talking about is Fox has six regional games they are broadcasting tonight, which means in any market, fans of 10 teams do not get to see their team vs what they had been doing with three games where in any market only four team's fans miss the game.

#692 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

The worst part was they had the channel 9 feed for the Yankees, not just a remap of the YES feed. I guess they didn't want to bring down two PPV movies for one game. At least with Leiter and Cone in the booth, I got to listen to two former Mets pitchers.

The game wasn't on YES; it was one of the games that's set aside for broadcast TV. Similarly, the WPIX games aren't live on SNY. Both SNY and YES rebroadcast those games later, but the replays are blacked out for out-of-market viewers, even if we have EI.

I doubt this problem is going to go away, but the technology exists for a solution that could satisfy FOX and its affiliates. DirecTV and other providers are inserting local ads in national programing. The group of FOX games could be added to each market's spotbeam, with that market's local ads inserted across the board in the day's games. That way, those watching any of the FOX games would get the local ads for their home market, and the local stations could sell the ads on that basis.

As for tonight's Subway Series game, I'll watch it on my iPad on MLB Premium after the 90-minute blackout is lifted, either at 1 am or with breakfast tomorrow at a more reasonable hour.

#693 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

The problem with that is some teams have found starting games at odd times helps their attendance. Here in Tampa they seem to love 6:30.

It's really the concerts after those games that bumps the Rays attendance, not the earlier start time.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#694 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

That's a different situation. In that situation the team knows the window and starts their game at that time knowing it won't be shown on TV to anyone, not even in Tampa. What I was talking about is Fox has six regional games they are broadcasting tonight, which means in any market, fans of 10 teams do not get to see their team vs what they had been doing with three games where in any market only four team's fans miss the game.

I do think them having 6 games is excessive but the end result could still be the same regardless. Most games do take place later in the day on Saturday. So let's say Fox carries 2 games in prime time tonight. For arguments sake we'll say its Braves/Red Sox and Yankees/Mets. Ok, so the entire nation gets 1 of these two. The only way anyone sees another game is if their local team plays later in the day. So let's say the Rays are at home and play at 6:30 like they love to do. Or the Reds do. Or the Twins do. Sure, all of these games are not being shown by Fox broadcast as national options, but if you are a fan sitting in Miami, Fl of the Twins, you still aren't going to see that game. Home markets will get their teams games as long as the team is broadcasting locally whether it be on Fox or FSN Blizzard World or whatever they come on there. This is just an example. I've only lived in Florida and seen many occasions where Fox broadcasting national games and having even that entire 1-7pm window back in the day never prevented the Devil Rays butt kicking from airing to us all. So, if this doesn't apply everywhere then I apologize.

#695 OFFLINE   golfnut-n-nh

golfnut-n-nh

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

Sorry to hear that. I'm getting the Angels/Dodgers in Dallas, which makes sense since the Angels are the Rangers closest competition. It looks like no WPIX feed tonight either. We're going to have to watch the YES feed.

Thw WPIX feed was picked up by the MLB Network. Why it wasn't part of EI is beyond me.

#696 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

I know FOX has it's exclusive window on Saturday and I've learned to live with missing the Mets on Saturday's when they are not the Fox game in my area. Why has the amount of games gone up so much in the last month or two? It used to be three games every Saturday, now it's 5-6. This has doubled the odds of the Mets being a part of the FOX window and they're never shown in my area when they are.

One of many advantages of MLB.TV over EI is the fact that you can go back and watch any game anytime during the season. Even though the FOX Saturday games are blacked out live, they are not blacked out in archive, so you can go back and watch it a few hours after the completion. Cannot do that with EI.

The other advantage is if you have a location spoofer on your tablet or phone you can fool the MLB APP into thinking you are in a different country meaning the FOX blackout rules do not apply. You will be able to watch any live FOX game on this device. I do this all of the time with my iPad.

#697 OFFLINE   snappjay

snappjay

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:13 AM

The other advantage is if you have a location spoofer on your tablet or phone you can fool the MLB APP into thinking you are in a different country meaning the FOX blackout rules do not apply. You will be able to watch any live FOX game on this device. I do this all of the time with my iPad.

That... is awesome. I really would like more information (PM if it isn't allowed here) on how this is done. I love .tv and love trying out all the features with the free games. The only reason I do not get it is because I live in Cincy and only care about the Reds...

Oh, and if anyone is looking to get rid of their closer, we could sure use one. :P
TV Vizio VF551XVT
Remote Logitech Harmony 900
Service DirecTV Choice Xtra Classic
Receivers HR-34/700

#698 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,441 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

I see. An advantage of MLB is that you can lie, cheat and steal.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#699 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

I see. An advantage of MLB is that you can lie, cheat and steal.

Steal? No. I cannot steal if I am paying for it. I am not getting anything for free.

Cheat? Perhaps. Justifiable IMO. I am paying extra to watch any game. A few games are not shown live because of a contract signed between two different parties. If I want to watch my own team on my own teams feed while away from my home or outside away from the TV, what is the difference between using a Slingbox to watch it for free my iPad or the MLB APP with my paid subscription to watch the same thing on the same device? Why is using the MLB APP to get around the ridiculous blackout rules considered cheating while using the Sling APP is not?

Lie? Who am I hurting? If this is a lie it is not harming anyone, so why should it bother you?

Edited by DodgerKing, 25 June 2012 - 10:25 PM.

#700 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

That... is awesome. I really would like more information (PM if it isn't allowed here) on how this is done. I love .tv and love trying out all the features with the free games. The only reason I do not get it is because I live in Cincy and only care about the Reds...

Oh, and if anyone is looking to get rid of their closer, we could sure use one. :P

What device are you using to view the games?

spam firewall