Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MLB Extra innings 2012

• Please log in to reply
787 replies to this topic

#781 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

So they'll both air on the same channel then, I wonder who gets priority for staying on the main channel when there's a conflict, I can't imagine either club playing second fiddle.

Does the TWC channel broadcast in 720p or 1080i? Prime Ticket is 720p.

TWC is 1080i.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#782 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

TWC is 1080i.

Well, if they do go with TWC that will be a change. I've never viewed a TWC sportsnet, is the picture good, bad, ugly...?

#783 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

So they'll both air on the same channel then, I wonder who gets priority for staying on the main channel when there's a conflict, I can't imagine either club playing second fiddle.

Does the TWC channel broadcast in 720p or 1080i? Prime Ticket is 720p.

second fiddle?

I think it will be based on game times and other needs.

Also playoffs pushes a team to the top and with the it's NBA over MLB.

MLB does not use RSN's for playoffs.

in Chicago the MLB teams sometimes get pushed to CSN+2 (sd only) over the NBA and NHL playoffs when the bulls and blackhawks need the main channel and the + channel also the only area system not to have CSN + HD is WOW and maybe dish but dish is a joke for RSN HD anyways.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#784 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

second fiddle?

I think it will be based on game times and other needs.

Also playoffs pushes a team to the top and with the it's NBA over MLB.

MLB does not use RSN's for playoffs.

in Chicago the MLB teams sometimes get pushed to CSN+2 (sd only) over the NBA and NHL playoffs when the bulls and blackhawks need the main channel and the + channel also the only area system not to have CSN + HD is WOW and maybe dish but dish is a joke for RSN HD anyways.

Regarding the "second fiddle" comment, looks like it will go down as I suspected, Dodgers will have their own new network,

Time Warner Cable Said to Win Right to Carry Dodgers Games

Time Warner Cable Inc. (TWC) has struck a deal with the Los Angeles Dodgers to broadcast the Major League Baseball team’s games, two people familiar with the matter said.
An announcement of the agreement is imminent, although no deal has been signed, said the people, who asked not to be named because the decision isn’t yet public. The games will be carried on a new regional sports network developed by Guggenheim Partners, which bought the Dodgers for $2.15 billion last year. As a partner in the project, Time Warner Cable will run the network and sell the advertisements, although it won’t own the television rights outright, the people said.

Full article at -> http://www.bloomberg...gers-games.html

Reading other articles about this deal there's been speculation that given the amount of money involved(largest ever for a sports network) that it may be the "straw that broke the camel's back" with regards to providers finally breaking off RSNs from regular programming packages and charging for them al a carte style.

Given that DIRECTV is already charging extra for the Laker channel and being a Dodger fan my monthly bill is certain to go up in the near future.

#785 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Given that DIRECTV is already charging extra for the Laker channel and being a Dodger fan my monthly bill is certain to go up in the near future.

Assuming there is carriage at all...

If the camel's back is truly broken, you may see a prolonged dispute. Took a while to get the Lakers and I will bet that DirecTV thought if TW got the Dodgers, it would be in the same package.

Unless they already made a deal contingent on the Dodger channel, this may drag on.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#786 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

Assuming there is carriage at all...

If the camel's back is truly broken, you may see a prolonged dispute. Took a while to get the Lakers and I will bet that DirecTV thought if TW got the Dodgers, it would be in the same package.

Unless they already made a deal contingent on the Dodger channel, this may drag on.

Very true and something I've considered, at least we have until the 2014 season starts for a deal to get done. Although, I would be very surprised if DIRECTV didn't carry this channel as soon as it starts as they would be ignoring the 2nd largest TV market in the nation, that is a lot of subscribers. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, TWC is the dominate cable TV provider in the LA area so it's hard to imagine DIRECTV would allow them that advantage. No doubt it will cost the subscriber more, but my money is on DIRECTV having carriage at inception.

#787 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Very true and something I've considered, at least we have until the 2014 season starts for a deal to get done. Although, I would be very surprised if DIRECTV didn't carry this channel as soon as it starts as they would be ignoring the 2nd largest TV market in the nation, that is a lot of subscribers. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, TWC is the dominate cable TV provider in the LA area so it's hard to imagine DIRECTV would allow them that advantage. No doubt it will cost the subscriber more, but my money is on DIRECTV having carriage at inception.

You need to revisit the TWC Lakers thread. First, TW doesn't cove enough of LA by themselves. Second, there was no Lakers channel at tr start of the season on directv.

Unless they had talks when they put the Lakers channel on or TWC throws it in cheap for Laker carriers, I'm betting on delay.

#788 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

You need to revisit the TWC Lakers thread. First, TW doesn't cove enough of LA by themselves. Second, there was no Lakers channel at tr start of the season on directv.

Unless they had talks when they put the Lakers channel on or TWC throws it in cheap for Laker carriers, I'm betting on delay.

You could be right, I freely admit that I really don't know the details of how/when the Laker channel got carriage. TWC may not cover all of LA but they are the largest cableco in the market as far as subscriber counts go.

Anyway, it will be interesting to re-visit this thread when the 2014 baseball season begins and see who made the winning guess. :D:)

spam firewall