Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MLB Extra innings 2012

• Please log in to reply
787 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

I love baseball as well, but until MLB revises their stupid blackout rules, they wont be getting any of my money for either service.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Boston_bill

Boston_bill

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

http://www.awfulanno...x-schedule.html

This does, in fact, suck!

I know one is Yankees/Sox in early July but I agree it sucks especially if you're a COPS fan. LOL

#103 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

Whoa! The all star game is on a Saturday this year???? I did not know that!

#104 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:23 AM

Whoa! The all star game is on a Saturday this year???? I did not know that!

That's wrong. July 10th is a Tuesday.

#105 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

Oh. Damn! I was hoping it was on a Saturday! I hate it when games like this start at like 8:30 on a weeknight.

#106 OFFLINE   Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:19 AM

Read yesterday where Fox are going to be in prime time for 8 straight weeks and will have 5 or 6 games (can't remember which) instead of the usual 3. So now we will not be able to see even more games. So annoying.

This is starting to look and sound like the bad old days of ESPN's baseball exclusivity on Wednesday nights. While ESPN did not regionalize games, they still had it set that no other games could be shown on Extra Innings on Wednesday nights.

In some ways, this is worse.

#107 OFFLINE   AquiringSat

AquiringSat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

This whole Fox Saturday thing is Just Stupid! With NFL Sunday Ticket, we get ALL the games that our local stations aren't showing at the same time. I just don't understand why they can't do that with MLB.

#108 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

This whole Fox Saturday thing is Just Stupid! With NFL Sunday Ticket, we get ALL the games that our local stations aren't showing at the same time. I just don't understand why they can't do that with MLB.

Apples and oranges. If you didn't get those games from the NFL what exactly would you get? Personally I hate the Fox Saturday rule and any other OOM rule when it comes to national broadcast networks doing regional coverage but we can't use the NFL as a template here. I don't even think college works as an example anymore either simply because their out of market package began as just giving you the other regional ABC games. Every sport is different. And I will say this again like I have before. The Saturday rule used to be FAR WORSE than it is now.

#109 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

This is starting to look and sound like the bad old days of ESPN's baseball exclusivity on Wednesday nights. While ESPN did not regionalize games, they still had it set that no other games could be shown on Extra Innings on Wednesday nights.

In some ways, this is worse.

well you may be able to get the WGN games.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#110 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

I just don't understand why they can't do that with MLB.

They can, it's just MLBs agreement with Fox that fails. I probably watched 1 hour of Fox Saturday Baseball last year, when I would have watched more than 20 hours because I couldn't get the game I wanted.

I love baseball and I'd consider getting MLB EI even if I lived in my teams market, but they keep eliminating choices so I'd avoid.

#111 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

It didn't work for me. Called DTV last night and told them EI was a little too much and I was going to cancel. Never offered a discount and just said OK. So I am canceled. I'll decide after the free preview if I want to pay the full price or not and subscribe. I guess business is good for EI and they don't need to give the discounts or I'm not a valued subscriber any longer.

#112 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

They can, it's just MLBs agreement with Fox that fails. I probably watched 1 hour of Fox Saturday Baseball last year, when I would have watched more than 20 hours because I couldn't get the game I wanted.

I love baseball and I'd consider getting MLB EI even if I lived in my teams market, but they keep eliminating choices so I'd avoid.

Too bad MLB and FOX can't be fan friendly and provide all of the Fox Sat. night games on MLB EI (and simply black out the one that shown on your local Fox affiliate). We pay a good amount of money for this package and this black outs cast a large net over a group of Fox games that we should otherwise be able to watch.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#113 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

Too bad MLB and FOX can't be fan friendly and provide all of the Fox Sat. night games on MLB EI (and simply black out the one that shown on your local Fox affiliate). We pay a good amount of money for this package and this black outs cast a large net over a group of Fox games that we should otherwise be able to watch.

Yes but Fox and their affiliates feel like they pay a good amount of money to air the games in their window exclusively. I've heard before that Fox doesn't even really want to air regular season baseball, they'd prefer to have the playoffs only but MLB won't allow it. If this is true (and I don't know that it is) that could further attribute to their feelings. They have to air this stuff so why should the local affiliate have to lose even more ratings because of the out of market package. That could be how they think about it.

#114 OFFLINE   ThaPhenom

ThaPhenom

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

Yes but Fox and their affiliates feel like they pay a good amount of money to air the games in their window exclusively. I've heard before that Fox doesn't even really want to air regular season baseball, they'd prefer to have the playoffs only but MLB won't allow it. If this is true (and I don't know that it is) that could further attribute to their feelings. They have to air this stuff so why should the local affiliate have to lose even more ratings because of the out of market package. That could be how they think about it.

They are probably losing ratings anyway. There are plenty of people who, if they cannot watch the game of their choice, will just choose to watch (or do) something else instead of being forced to watch the local matchup. They never seem to take this into account when making these "exclusive" deals.

#115 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

Maybe but under your theory it doesn't matter then. The affiliates would lose ratings if you were watching another game anyway and while a lot may not watch the exclusive game since its all that's on, there are several people who will so they win as little of a victory as it is. MLB isn't going to lose fans over it and while they may lose a few subs to the package I would say the overwhelming majority won't not order over a few possible missed games 1 day out of 7. And Fox gains whatever viewers are willing to watch their exclusive game since its the only one on.

#116 OFFLINE   1980ws

1980ws

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationLongwood, Florida

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:48 PM

I love MLB, and I consider the Fox Broadcast "just one of those things". Usually miss most of the game anyway doing yard work or chores. But when I do sit down to watch the game, I turn the sound down and MLB Audio on. Just don't like national broadcasters. Just about any sport I watch, I prefer the teams announcers. And too many damn graphics and promos on Fox and ESPN. Why I love EI & CI, the games are the show.

#117 OFFLINE   CarolinaGuy79

CarolinaGuy79

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:23 PM

I decided to go to mlb.tv for my PS3 I mean I will be paying $29.99 a month which will include milb.tv which is Minor League games so cant beat that.

#118 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:23 AM

I decided to go to mlb.tv for my PS3 I mean I will be paying $29.99 a month which will include milb.tv which is Minor League games so cant beat that.

I like the sound of that..

#119 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:23 AM

The MLB AtBat 2012 just came out today and this time it is one APP for both the iPhone and iPad. No need to purchase two separate APPs this time.

If you have an MLB.TV Premium account it is free this year.

#120 OFFLINE   kenpac89

kenpac89

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

This may be the year I move to MLB.tv and away from DirecTV's MLB EI.

I now have a Kindle Fire, which is included this year for free with the MLB.tv/MLB at Bat subscription, plus I have a PS3 and an Android Smartphone.

I just prefer watching it on DirecTV, for various reasons. But I don't know if the $90 price difference is worth it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...