Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Super Bowl HD channel?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kandor

kandor

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts
  • LocationCorpus Christi

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

Will DTV have an HD channel today for the Super Bowl as in years past?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gomezma1

gomezma1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

Will the game be transmitted OTA in HD?

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

Its on NBC. If your local OTA NBC station is HD, it will be in HD.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   kandor

kandor

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 70 posts
  • LocationCorpus Christi

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

In past years, there has been a special channel for HD transmission of the Super Bowl. Not OTA. A retransmission of the network broadcast.

#5 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,617 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

Is your local NBC not in HD?

Sorry, first I've heard of a need for another channel on this- I hope you find it soon! Or have it by now.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#6 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,321 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

Try 392 and 393. I have DNS feeds but they may be opened.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#7 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

Nah. HD is just a fad.

#8 OFFLINE   antzona

antzona

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:13 AM

I got to watch the Super Bowl in glorious SD again, since my local NBC station isn't important enough for Directv to carry in HD. Actually none of my locals are important enough. There's only 500,000 people that live here...

#9 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,617 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

I got to watch the Super Bowl in glorious SD again, since my local NBC station isn't important enough for Directv to carry in HD. Actually none of my locals are important enough. There's only 500,000 people that live here...

Uh, where is "here"?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,479 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

Wondering this myself. Fresno would match in terms of numbers, but HD locals are provided for that DMA. 500,000 is still a fairly big DMA.

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

What DMA are you in?

#12 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,212 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

Your location says California. There are more than 500,000 people living there...:D
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,372 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

My money is on the Chico-Redding DMA.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#14 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

That's horribe!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#15 OFFLINE   antzona

antzona

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:23 AM

I'm actually in DMA 125- Bakersfield. We were on Directv's list to get our locals in HD back in 2009, but got dropped from the list when the FCC changed their requirements on TV providers carrying locals for everyone. I don't buy the DMA figures either. There are over 350,000 people just in Bakersfield, and all of western Kern County gets their locals from Bakersfield. My parents live in the eastern corner of Kern County and they get their locals from LA.

It would have worked out better for us, if we didn't have our own local networks. We would just have the LA networks and I wouldn't have anything to complain about. I have turned in waivers about 8,593 times over the last five years, but why would my local networks want to give up their business just because Directv are dragging their feet?

I talked to an engineer at my local NBC a few years ago and he said that they had been approached by Directv to house the equipment necessary to send the HD signal from our local channels. He said they agreed, but had never heard anything again.

Dish has had my locals for a few years now, along with Brighthouse Cable, and U-Verse. I can't stand the GUI on Dish's boxes or Brighthouse, otherwise I would have changed years ago.

I think I need to drive down to El Segundo and talk to someone in person at Directv. :)

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,372 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:14 AM

I don't buy the DMA figures either. There are over 350,000 people just in Bakersfield, and all of western Kern County gets their locals from Bakersfield.

Remember that the DMA figures relate to viewing households, not souls.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#17 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

How do they, and I say they in that I don't even know who's responsible, choose what's carried in HD? I receive two PBS channels and both are HD. One comes out of Indianapolis which I understand but the other comes from Bloomington and I'm guessing there's <100,00 viewers in the surrounding area.

#18 OFFLINE   RMBittner

RMBittner

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

I'm not yet a DirecTV subscriber -- hopefully, I'll get the go-ahead from the lovely wife in the next day or two -- but I'm curious: Why would the OP have needed a *local* NBC station to be in HD to watch the Super Bowl in HD? Aren't there national feeds that fulfill that function? (My own locals -- out of Lansing, MI -- aren't in HD either, but I never actually watch local broadcasts; in fact, I'd prefer not to get those ridiculous local-weather icons all the time. I've just been assuming that I'd get the national feeds in HD.)

I can't believe that customers who don't yet receive locals in HD are sitting at home watching NBC, ABC, CBS, and Fox in SD on DirecTV. That can't be the case, can it? I was under the impression that customers could get national HD feeds of these major broadcast networks. Am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks for bearing with a newbie...

Bob

Edited by RMBittner, 09 February 2012 - 10:01 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

I can't believe that customers who don't yet receive locals in HD are sitting at home watching NBC, ABC, CBS, and Fox in SD on DirecTV. That can't be the case, can it? I was under the impression that customers could get national HD feeds of these major broadcast networks. Am I misunderstanding something?

Technically, there are no "national" HD feeds of the broadcast networks -- what's offered is the ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox affiliates from New York and Los Angeles. (So programming may still be interrupted for local weather/news bulletins that affect those areas, although, granted, that seems to be more of a rare event in both places than it is in the middle of the country.)

However, those are only available to DirecTV subscribers under certain conditions, such as a waiver being granted by the local station. In many cases, local stations won't grant those waivers, so, yes, there are DirecTV subscribers who have to watch the broadcast networks in SD.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#20 OFFLINE   RMBittner

RMBittner

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:14 AM

there are DirecTV subscribers who have to watch the broadcast networks in SD.

That stuns me. If my location would be in that situation, that would be a deal-breaker for me. I'd stick with cable. Because, while we watch a ton of TV, spread out across a lot of channels, the majority of our viewing is still focused on the major broadcast networks.

Bob

spam firewall