Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Super Bowl HD channel?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

I'm not yet a DirecTV subscriber -- hopefully, I'll get the go-ahead from the lovely wife in the next day or two -- but I'm curious: Why would the OP have needed a *local* NBC station to be in HD to watch the Super Bowl in HD? Aren't there national feeds that fulfill that function? (My own locals -- out of Lansing, MI -- aren't in HD either, but I never actually watch local broadcasts; in fact, I'd prefer not to get those ridiculous local-weather icons all the time. I've just been assuming that I'd get the national feeds in HD.)

I can't believe that customers who don't yet receive locals in HD are sitting at home watching NBC, ABC, CBS, and Fox in SD on DirecTV. That can't be the case, can it? I was under the impression that customers could get national HD feeds of these major broadcast networks. Am I misunderstanding something?
Thanks for bearing with a newbie...

Bob

I'm a bit confused by what you posted. So if your locals aren't in HD, what do you currently watch to get ABC, NBC and CBS feeds in HD? If you can only get the SD feed, then if you change to DIRECTV, you will have the same thing. They just add the local feed you receive OTA to the satellite feed.
HR34-700, HR22-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   RMBittner

RMBittner

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:50 AM

I'm a bit confused by what you posted. So if your locals aren't in HD, what do you currently watch to get ABC, NBC and CBS feeds in HD? If you can only get the SD feed, then if you change to DIRECTV, you will have the same thing. They just add the local feed you receive OTA to the satellite feed.

My locals aren't in HD from DirecTV. Our cable provider delivers them in HD, and, of course, they're available in HD OTA, although we're far enough away from the towers to make that an inconsistent signal.

I just spoke with a DirecTV CSR, who told me that, for a small fee, I would be able to get the East Coast feeds for ABC, NBC, etc. Granted, a different CSR might have told me something different, so I'm not sure I'm 100% convinced yet.

It would just be a major step backward for us if we were to drop cable and then find that the channels we watch the most aren't being delivered in HD. I mean, one of the main reasons I want to make the switch to D* is for the HD offerings.

Bob

Edited by RMBittner, 09 February 2012 - 10:56 AM.

#23 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

OK, now I understand. Yes, you would be going backwards on locals. You will only get the Lansing, MI channels in SD. I'm not an expert on this, but from what I've heard, I think that CSR was misinformed. Usually, to get the DNS HD channels, you have to be in an area where they show you are unable to receive the channels OTA. To add real life to that, where my sister lives, she couldn't pick up her local Fox channel OTA. She had to submit to get the OK to get the DNS. They said she was within the local limits and they couldn't approve it.

I would say that you would be taking the risk of being disappointed, if you switch. The local affiliates are concerned that you would no longer be seeing their local advertising. That's what makes it difficult to get the east or west coast DNS feed.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#24 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:50 AM

I'm in Jackson, MI...so I am also in the Lansing DMA. I am able to watch all the locals in HD via OTA....in Charlotte you should not be able to get the national HD channels from D* as you are considered in an area that can receive them via OTA just fine....BTW, the reason that D* just cant give you other locals like cable does is cable lobbied to have that blocked from being offered by the sat companies...and it still has not yet been un-lobbied if you will 100% so it still affects many of us adversely....

#25 OFFLINE   RMBittner

RMBittner

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

The local affiliates are concerned that you would no longer be seeing their local advertising.

Why in the world would they think I'm sitting through all that crap even now?;)

#26 OFFLINE   RMBittner

RMBittner

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

BTW, thanks, everyone for your patience as I've taken this thread a bit off-topic.

I've done a bit more digging around the D* Web site -- they don't make it easy! -- and it seems certain that I'm out of luck regarding getting the major broadcast stations in HD from DirecTV. I'm not in an East Coast feed-eligible market, and NBC, CBS, etc., aren't offered locally in HD (from DirecTV).

I must say that this is really frustrating. I've been waiting, anxiously, for many months for D* to release the DirecTiVo so we could jump from cable. It's already not wonderful that, by dropping digital cable but keeping Internet from our current provider, our total TV/Internet bill will increase somewhat. But now we'd have to go even further and add an OTA antenna to see the nation's most-watched broadcast channels.

Given the setup I want, we would, over the course of a 2-year contract, be paying an additional $1,000 for television. . . and still need an OTA antenna to fill in the blanks! That just seems ludicrous to me. (Yes, I know an antenna isn't an expensive item. But the need for it is galling.)

I'm not saying I'm giving up on the DirecTV option. But, wow, the deal has soured for me very quickly. Maybe I just need to be patient a bit longer and see if those predicted Lansing, MI, locals actually show up this year.

Bob

#27 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

Given the setup I want, we would, over the course of a 2-year contract, be paying an additional $1,000 for television. .

I'm not saying I'm giving up on the DirecTV option.
Bob

For that much more over the two years and the fact that it really doesn't offer you want you want I would...... give up that is.

#28 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

Why in the world would they think I'm sitting through all that crap even now?;)

Most don't, but they want to think you do. :whatdidid
HR34-700, HR22-100

#29 OFFLINE   Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

Where will your TV(s) be located, deep inside the house or near a window? If an AM-21 is an option and you aren't going to be stuck behind thick walls, there are some good cheap alternatives to an expensive antenna. I love the Mohu Leaf and now they have an amplified version that I am assuming is better.

I'm not sure what your circumstances are (if you explained things earlier I'm sorry as I haven't seen those posts) but I have heard tales of D* giving a break to potential new customers in non-HD areas (for example springing for the AM-21). I don't know this first hand, I've just read it on message boards and blog posts, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

#30 OFFLINE   RMBittner

RMBittner

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:09 AM

For that much more over the two years and the fact that it really doesn't offer you want you want I would...... give up that is.

Well. . . yeah, I've decided to sit tight and see what happens over the next six months. Our cable provider just got bought out by a bigger company that's talking about going all-digital, adding more HD channels, etc. So we'll see what happens on that front, while keeping an eye on DirecTV to see if they end up offering HD locals.

It's just frustrating because I want to get the additional HD programming that D* already has -- not to mention their fantastic MLB, NFL, and soccer packages -- but there's just no way I can swallow watching the majority of our programming in SD (on the major broadcast networks); that's defeating the whole point.

Thanks, everyone!

Bob

spam firewall