Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Super Bowl Worst and Best Commercials 2012

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,217 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:43 AM

I knew there'd be a least one smart-a** notation thereof.

You do realize that titles are not editable? At least not by us mortals. (Prolly Mods can, so feel free, Mods.....)

Do you realize that if you 'preview' what you have written, that is, read what you write before you post, you will (probably) reduce the chances of making a mistake? Also, are you aware that thread titles are editable for (probably) about 5 minutes after the initial posting. Lastly, "prolly" is not a word.

If you wish to debate this further, let's take it outside to PM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,645 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

I've made 3,000 + posts. Find one more error, knowing I sometimes use "prolly", "onna", "innit" etc. in an informal way or when referring to rednecks or erudites.

You can PM me or post here as you wish. Or, fahgeddaboudit! :lol:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#23 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

I'm stunned. Assuming amusing isn't a requirement for best ad, for us far and away the best ad this year was Chrysler's "Halftime in America" featuring Clint Eastwood. For those who went to the bathroom and missed it:

VIDEO WAS REMOVED BY NFL

As noted in this article:

Chrysler's ad was hypocritical. A good number of their vehicles are built in Mexico and Canada.
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#24 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

The Jerry Seinfeld Acura one was good. The sad part is that the NDX won't be around for at least another 3 years...

Kevin

I liked the the Acura ad as well. Nice looking sports car, but what is even sadder is that most people won't be able to afford it. The old Honda NSX that they stopped making back in 2005, were selling for over $100k. So I can only imagine what the price tag will be on the Acura version, when its finally released.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#25 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,645 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

Chrysler's ad was hypocritical. A good number of their vehicles are built in Mexico and Canada.

I didn't see it that way, but I was focussed on what I thought was more a message to us citizens.

BTW, the video is available online.

#26 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:14 AM

Wow...

Ad-wise, the worst super bowl I can remember. The Acura and Ferris Bueller ads were ok but they were extensively leaked early. So was the Fiat ad. I guess I'll stop watching the game for the ads from now on.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#27 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

Like the Acura ad and the TeleFlora ad because, well, I liked it :)

Didn't think much of the Clint Eastwood commercial, and loved that Twinkies survived the armageddon.

The Metlife/Everyone commercial with all of the cartoon characters from my youth also hit home.

Elton John/Pepsi didn't do it, and I didn't watch the old lady at Halftime :lol::lol::lol:

#28 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,645 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

Wow...

Ad-wise, the worst super bowl I can remember. The Acura and Ferris Bueller ads were ok but they were extensively leaked early. So was the Fiat ad. I guess I'll stop watching the game for the ads from now on.

Heh. Maybe next year we'll be saying "I went to an ad-fest presentation and a great football game broke out!".....

Wishin' and hopin'.......

#29 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,320 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:19 AM

It's advertising, but inspiring. The point being that they have, in fact, reopened assembly lines in Michigan.

It's similar to all the news about GM beating Toyota in sales last year when the latter is struggling to get full production back after the earthquake/tsunami, and not mentioning that GM has the highest sales numbers in China by a wide margin. All that still doesn't mean GM sales rebounding isn't worth noting.

The Eastwood ad was stunningly inspiring and you only find out who "sponsored" the ad at the end. I wish someone would force viewing of that ad at the next gathering of execs and politicians in Silicon Valley.

Edited by phrelin, 06 February 2012 - 12:09 PM.
typo

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#30 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:50 AM

I didn't see it that way, but I was focussed on what I thought was more a message to us citizens.

BTW, the video is available online.

First of all it was a good game and that is what counts. I agree the Chrysler ad was very positive for the whole auto industry, as opposed to Chevy's cheap shot at Ford. I never understood the "service industry" concept of America. The other ads were not very impressive to me.

#31 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,645 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

Anyone have a take on which commercial cost the most $$$?

#32 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,156 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

Wow...

I Kind of agree. A few ads made me chuckle a little, but none stood out as "Wow! Great commercial!" ones.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#33 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

You watch Commercials??
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#34 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,156 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

Only those during the Super Bowl.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#35 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

Chrysler-Clint Eastwood stirring words, but his voice has gotten really weak. I'm surprised they didn't do more to boost it up. Also the NFL has now demanded they pull the ad. I think they're objecting to the use of the word "halftime." Anybody know more?

PEPSI-Elton John a bit too political for my taste - it's an obvious play on the Occupy Wallstreet movement. It probably plays well with a certain percentage of the youth segment, but then again, I don't see them actually giving away Pepsi... they still want their buck and a quarter for a can of the stuff.

BUDHistorical stuff was really flat. Miss their humorous ads.

CHEETAHFunny, but can't remember what they were advertising

Howard Stern & Betty WhiteThought these NBC ads were the funniest of the night. Love Howard with the hose, makes me want to watch the show and see if he can out-do Simon. The Betty White "eyes up top" line was classic.

Will FerrellOld Milwaukee only ran his ad in one town in Nebraska! Goin' for the internet buzz.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#36 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,320 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

Chrysler-Clint Eastwood stirring words, but his voice has gotten really weak. I'm surprised they didn't do more to boost it up. Also the NFL has now demanded they pull the ad. I think they're objecting to the use of the word "halftime." Anybody know more?

Per the Baltimore Sun:

Just got word from an NFL spokesman that the NFL did not ask Google/Youtube to take down Chrysler's popular "Halftime in America" commercial, featuring Clint Eastwood.

From NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy moments ago, via email to me: "The NFL did not file a copyright complaint about this ad with Google. We have asked Google to reinstate the ad immediately. Google is looking into why the ad was removed."

That appears to be true as after I edited it back into my post above it hasn't disappeared.

EDIT: By the way, this ad may get more mileage than any ad since Apple's 1984 ad since apparently the talking heads are talking about it. See this article.

EDIT: One final comment from me. I don't get the political thing. I guess the pundits hope that American's will continue to have the memories of gnats. From a CBS News article dated December 19, 2008:

President Bush will soon announce his plan to rescue the automakers....

Edited by phrelin, 06 February 2012 - 04:04 PM.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#37 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

Apparently Clint Eastwood is also being hypocritical:

http://jalopnik.com/...s-like-chrysler

Clint Eastwood Doesn’t Think We Should Bail Out Car Companies Like Chrysler

The Clint Eastwood Super Bowl Ad was a pep talk for Detroit and a threat to those people who don't think automakers like Chrysler are capable of making a comeback. People like Clint Eastwood, who voiced his opposition to the auto bailout in very clear terms just a few months ago.

No one is going to put words in Clint Eastwood's mouth. The man is independent, tough, and has earned the right to speak for himself on issues like the bailout. So, here's what he told the Los Angeles Times just three months ago:

"We shouldn't be bailing out the banks and car companies. If a CEO can't figure out how to make his company profitable, then he shouldn't be the CEO."

Now flash forward to yesterday's Super Bowl ad when he said this:

The people of Detroit know a little something about this. They almost lost everything. But we all pulled together, now Motor City is fighting again.

Yes, we all pulled together by bailing them out. We guess although he'd rather you didn't, but since you have, he's now willing to be the literal voice of the campaign championing a saved Chrysler.

A Chrysler he didn't want saved.

But hey, at least he donated the money he made from the ad to charity.

HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#38 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,320 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

If you want to know what those that tweet and Facebook thought, from Advertising Age:

Posted Image

It's odd that nobody here mentioned the H&M commercial.:sure:

My AV Setup

#39 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

Like everyone else, Eastwood has the right to change his mind I suppose. All the candidates do. Most everyone I know has changed their mind. Its just human to alter your judgement on issues when presented with (additional/better/verified) facts.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#40 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

Since I have a fat dog that can barely fit through the dog door, I thought the fat dog commercial was the best. My runner-up would be the M&M commercial.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

spam firewall