Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Potential new cust question re: receivers

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mario64

mario64

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

Hi all,

We're considering switching from Charter to DirecTV. I've specced out an install on their web site which would include a HR34 plus a regular HD DVR and two HD receivers. My question is, is there a way to ensure I'll get the latest and greatest (and new) hardware for the DVR and HD boxes?

I've been doing a lot of reading around here and see that the older boxes typically have sluggish UI and various other issues.

Thanks,
Mario64

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

There is no older substitute for the HR34.

So it will definitely be the fastest of its type. 5 Tuner HD DVR.

The HD DVR my guess is will most likely be a HR24, it however could be anything from a HR20 to a HR24.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#3 OFFLINE   mario64

mario64

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:10 PM

There is no older substitute for the HR34.

So it will definitely be the fastest of its type. 5 Tuner HD DVR.

The HD DVR my guess is will most likely be a HR24, it however could be anything from a HR20 to a HR24.

Right. Is there any way to ensure the DVR will be a HR24? Say a prayer? Go with third party installer?

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

The only way to ensure it is to buy them from a third party.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   mario64

mario64

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

The only way to ensure it is to buy them from a third party.

Hmm. I was afraid of that. I hate to go to all the trouble and expense only to end up with a poor result. We like the added HD channels DTV offers but are happy with the Charter DVR itself. Thanks for the info!

#6 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

If you're happy with Charters DVR, you'll be pleased with anything D* sends you.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#7 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,185 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

Hmm. I was afraid of that. I hate to go to all the trouble and expense only to end up with a poor result. We like the added HD channels DTV offers but are happy with the Charter DVR itself. Thanks for the info!

The HR34 are flagged to be installed with H25s. The chances are very high that the HD DVR will also be a HR24 because it doesn't need a DECA.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

But as you suspected there is no way to guarantee you'll get a specific model beyond the HR34 unless you go with a 3rd party supplier.

#9 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

The HR34 are flagged to be installed with H25s. The chances are very high that the HD DVR will also be a HR24 because it doesn't need a DECA.

Directv doesn't ship the things in tight nit little "This goes to this customer" packages :rolleyes:

Chances are very high that it'll be whatever is on the truck.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#10 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

I count 9 tuners in the OP specification. So that would require a non-SWM LNB with a SWM16 installation. So, if you go online to order what you want, the DirecTV installer might not have what you need for the other receivers.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#11 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

I count 9 tuners in the OP specification. So that would require a non-SWM LNB with a SWM16 installation. So, if you go online to order what you want, the DirecTV installer might not have what you need for the other receivers.

This won't be an issue as long as the 'purchased' IRD is on the work order. It would have to be for the tech to install it. Most new installs designate IRDs as "Tech Delivers", this one would be designated "Customer Owned" (Even though it's not really owned. Different terminology).

The OP's best course of action [IMHO] is to place the order with Directv. Ask the CSR to put a note in the work order that they would prefer an HR24 for the HDDVR, and the tech will make the best effort possible to do so.

#12 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

Give your local installer company a call and ask them what they have stocked in their warehouse.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,708 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

You can order the exact models you want from dealers like Solid Signal. Solid Signal also provides their own installation service.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#14 OFFLINE   ds2992

ds2992

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

First off stop worrying. Second you are not stuck with whatever comes on the truck. If the installer doesn't have an hr24 and only has an older model simply send him away and reschedule. eventually dtv will get the clue. you are not locked into anything until the system is activated after the install is done. Tell dtv what you want and they will give it to you. You will not lose out on any offer if you reschedule your install or refuse an install because you are not given the equipment you want. A local retailer will only provide you with new equipment because that is all the have. Directv fulfillment however does use refurbished equipment. I am a fulfillment installer and all we have had for the last 2 months is hr24's and h25's and h24's all of which are new. There is nothing wrong with h24's.

#15 OFFLINE   mario64

mario64

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

Just a quick update. I decided to take my chances ordering via directv.com. At the very end of the order process a box pops up allowing you to send a note to the installer. I politely requested NEW HR34, HR24 and H25 x 2....and that's exactly what we got. :) The installer did an outstanding job and we love it!

#16 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

Just a quick update. I decided to take my chances ordering via directv.com. At the very end of the order process a box pops up allowing you to send a note to the installer. I politely requested NEW HR34, HR24 and H25 x 2....and that's exactly what we got. :) The installer did an outstanding job and we love it!

I told you so ;)
Glad that everything worked out for you.

#17 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,708 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:34 AM

Good to hear. Enjoy!
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

Protected By... spam firewall...And...