Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question about Whole Home DVR.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CarolinaGuy79

CarolinaGuy79

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

Ok I have an HR 24 and a H25 so I have whole home DVR on my account, well when I got it they sent out a dude to to intall the cinema kit, and he said I could only use whole home DVR on the H25 if i had the cinema kit and the H25 was connected to the internet, well yesterday I rearranged some stuff and I forgot to hook the cinema kit back up and it is still not hooked up and my whole home DVR on the H25 is still working, so was I lied to or has somethin g changed? cause I dont order many PPV's and I dont watch on demand at all so if I can use the whole home DVR without being connected to the internet I won't hook it back up.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,760 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

. . . . . can [I] use the whole home DVR without being connected to the internet I won't hook it back up.

Yes

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,492 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

Lied to is probably a bit strong. The tech was likely more mistaken.

#4 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

Mistaken or not, the fact is you don't need a Cinema Kit to have whole home. It will work without one.

Is there any reason why you need to disconnect it? There are other functions that don't cost you anything to use.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

If you were installed correctly for whole home(networked receivers), whole home will work fine, but you wont be able to use VOD etc.. functions that come through your internet connection.

#6 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

I'm getting this service tomorrow. The rep was explaining to make on demand work they will have to run some line from the bedroom to the office to hook it to the actual modem. I already have the wireless in the other living room but was never told I have to have on demand wireless hookup for whole home to work.

#7 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:34 AM

The rep was explaining to make on demand work they will have to run some line from the bedroom to the office to hook it to the actual modem.

I am using a pair of D-link power line adaptors for this and I believe you can use WiFi as well. I can't think of any reason why you couldn't.

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:52 AM

Wireless connectivity back to your internet connection is fine, but wireless doesnt work well for whole home MRV stuff.

#9 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,024 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:04 AM

Moving to the Connected Home forum.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#10 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:05 AM

I am using a pair of D-link power line adaptors for this and I believe you can use WiFi as well. I can't think of any reason why you couldn't.

The rep told me they will run a line I guess through the attic and it works coming through whatever line I have in the office with Directv and somehow hook to the Ethernet port in the modem. At least i think thats what he said. I didn't really understand. I lost all track of technology apparently 3-4 years ago which is a lifetime nowadays. We went a few months ago to look for a tv and I nearly felt like running out of Best Buy in fear. Sad thing is I'm 34, not 74.

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

The rep told me they will run a line I guess through the attic and it works coming through whatever line I have in the office with Directv and somehow hook to the Ethernet port in the modem. At least i think thats what he said. I didn't really understand. I lost all track of technology apparently 3-4 years ago which is a lifetime nowadays. We went a few months ago to look for a tv and I nearly felt like running out of Best Buy in fear. Sad thing is I'm 34, not 74.

The connection to your home network/router can be done by using a coax to connect a broadband DECA, and ethernet to your router, or a wireless DECA [CCK] from another room that already has a coax & receiver, if your router is a wireless type.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:05 AM

The connection to your home network/router can be done by using a coax to connect a broadband DECA, and ethernet to your router, or a wireless DECA [CCK] from another room that already has a coax & receiver, if your router is a wireless type.

Yes, it's a Verizon FIOS modem/router.

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:10 AM

Yes, it's a Verizon FIOS modem/router.

The wireless can be as simple as this:
http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1310680751
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall