Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Choice Extra Package

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

For those who were waiting like me... It looks like the new Choice Extra is losing the following channels...

Boomerang
CBS Sports Channel
Chiller
NHL Network
Sprout
Style
Tennis Channel

http://www.satellite...27&d=1328667806

Anyone thinking of moving to Choice Extra and keeping these channels better do it before the 9th!

Edited by Devo1237, 18 February 2012 - 12:32 PM.
Removed Golf Channel per SR

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

That is exactly what I figured they would do. Since I watch CBS Sports, Chiller, Golf, and Tennis...I made the right move dropping from Ultimate to Xtra before the 9th. Now I get to keep my old channel lineup, and save myself from the price increase, and I only lose one channel I watched very rarely, EncoreHD.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

That is exactly what I figured they would do. Since I watch CBS Sports, Chiller, Golf, and Tennis...I made the right move dropping from Ultimate to Xtra before the 9th. Now I get to keep my old channel lineup, and save myself from the price increase, and I only lose one channel I watched very rarely, EncoreHD.

Ditto. I'd been holding on to my grandfathered Total Choice since 2003. It was such a great deal I never bothered to upgrade to Extra, even though I always wanted the Tennis Channel. With the price increase narrowing the gap, I'm glad I jumped on the Choice Extra Classic bandwagon before Tennis was moved up to Ultimate!

I should be sitting pretty with this package for awhile. I just hope they don't add the new Pac-12 network to Ultimate when it comes out. That would seriously blow.

#4 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

Hmm, I'm guessing your example is why they've been tight lipped about the change. I'll stick with my Choice Xtra Classic (if that's what it will be called.)

I can't imagine CIG will ever be fixed now :lol:
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#5 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

I should be sitting pretty with this package for awhile. I just hope they don't add the new Pac-12 network to Ultimate when it comes out. That would seriously blow.

I would think they would put it with the others, in Ultimate or the Sports pack. Probably the same for the Longhorn network. I can see where they are going with this. As all these expensive sports packages are popping up, they are protecting the non-sports fanatics from the increases by grouping national sports channels in Ultimate.

Its a shame the programmers wont just allow them to put ALL the sports channels in the Sports pack. They we could have reasonably priced basic packages, and those that want the sports, could pay the extra. I would be paying the extra myself, but there are lots that dont watch sports, so I can see there viewpoint too.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#6 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

I would think they would put it with the others, in Ultimate or the Sports pack. Probably the same for the Longhorn network. I can see where they are going with this. As all these expensive sports packages are popping up, they are protecting the non-sports fanatics from the increases by grouping national sports channels in Ultimate.

Its a shame the programmers wont just allow them to put ALL the sports channels in the Sports pack. They we could have reasonably priced basic packages, and those that want the sports, could pay the extra. I would be paying the extra myself, but there are lots that dont watch sports, so I can see there viewpoint too.

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE. I would have had the sports pack for the last 9 years if Tennis Channel was in there. But it just wasn't worth it for me to give up a well priced grandfathered package for that one channel. I really hope they're smart and put Pac-12 and Longhorn in the sports pack. Even if it goes up in price.

Or maybe that can have it in both? I feel like NBA TV comes with the Sports Pack if you don't have Extra. Am I wrong?

#7 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE. I would have had the sports pack for the last 9 years if Tennis Channel was in there. But it just wasn't worth it for me to give up a well priced grandfathered package for that one channel. I really hope they're smart and put Pac-12 and Longhorn in the sports pack. Even if it goes up in price.

Or maybe that can have it in both? I feel like NBA TV comes with the Sports Pack if you don't have Extra. Am I wrong?

Now they need a mini sports pack with out the RSN's at lower price.

Now back when VS was dropped there was talk of a NEW sports pack.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#8 OFFLINE   tduffney

tduffney

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

so your saying f we switch today, we'll be grandfathered in to the old lineup?

#9 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

so your saying f we switch today, we'll be grandfathered in to the old lineup?

That's the word on the streets.

#10 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

I currently have "CHOICE XTRA PLUS HD DVR". I'm wondering if it is being grandfathered as is and the name changes to just Choice Xtra Classic? Then they add separate lines on my statement for the new Advanced Receiver-HD and Advanced Receiver-DVR service? I looked through the table DRE2K built in this [link], but I'm still not sure.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#11 OFFLINE   sticketfan

sticketfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

i have the same package as racj2, am i going to lose the channels in the first post if i dont change to another package or will i automatically be put into the new package?

#12 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

I currently have "CHOICE XTRA PLUS HD DVR". I'm wondering if it is being grandfathered as is and the name changes to just Choice Xtra Classic? Then they add separate lines on my statement for the new Advanced Receiver-HD and Advanced Receiver-DVR service? I looked through the table DRE2K built in this [link], but I'm still not sure.

A_Bear covers the price change for your package on the next page of your link, but doesn't get into any channel differences. My guess would be you'll keep all the same channels, except cloo which most everyone is losing.

I think the only people that need to worry are the ones thinking of changing to a Choice Extra package.

#13 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

Just seems like hockey fans are the only sports lovers who keep getting screwed by DirecTV.

Glad Ive got a grandfathered package so I dont have to upgrade anything.

#14 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:10 PM

A_Bear covers the price change for your package on the next page of your link, but doesn't get into any channel differences. My guess would be you'll keep all the same channels, except cloo which most everyone is losing.

I think the only people that need to worry are the ones thinking of changing to a Choice Extra package.

OK, I must have missed that, since I read that thread a while back and just remembered that table. I just called to add unsupported MRV, to be sure I could with my current package. While on the call, a CSR that seemed pretty sharp, said I would be grandfathered with that package.

I had the beta version of MRV and liked it. When the beta testing was over, I tried to add MRV and they said I had to go with a current package. The package price for the same channels was higher, so I just said forget it. With the same package, today they were able to add it for just the $3/mo. If I had to change packages to get it, I was going to do it today, so I would keep the few extra channels, like NHLN. Already tested MRV, it works fine and I'm happy. And they threw in 3 mo's of the Sports Package for free. Can once again watch pre and post-game shows of my NHL team.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#15 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 964 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

For those who were waiting like me... It looks like the new Choice Extra is losing the following channels...

Boomerang
CBS Sports Channel
Chiller
Golf Channel
NHL Network
Sprout
Style
Tennis Channel

http://www.satellite...27&d=1328667806

Anyone thinking of moving to Choice Extra and keeping these channels better do it before the 9th!

will existing choice xtra subscribers loose these channels?

#16 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

will existing choice xtra subscribers loose these channels?

Just Cloo. as far as we have been told. If they planned on taking them away, they would not be moving all the current subs to Choice Xtra Classic, as there wouldnt be a need for it.

#17 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

The Pac 12 won't allow the Pac 12 Network to be just in the sportspack or ultimate. It's going to get the same broad distribution as the Big 10 network or the pac 12 won't put it there - and if they don't put it on Directv then Directv will lose customers, period, over it.

Pac 12 will put the network on one of the two satellite services, no matter what the cost is to then - even if they have to give it away. It's key to the national following for the network.

#18 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

The Pac 12 won't allow the Pac 12 Network to be just in the sportspack or ultimate. It's going to get the same broad distribution as the Big 10 network or the pac 12 won't put it there - and if they don't put it on Directv then Directv will lose customers, period, over it.

Pac 12 will put the network on one of the two satellite services, no matter what the cost is to then - even if they have to give it away. It's key to the national following for the network.

will be in basic for all? or basic for people in the pac 12 area and sports pack for people out side of the pac 12 area?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#19 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

Is the Pac 12 still Division 1?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#20 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:26 PM

No way it gets put in to the same package as BTN. It will probably be in a certain package for viewers inside the PAC-12 footprint and sports pack for everyone else. Or I can even see DirecTV not adding the network. I honestly don't see them losing very many subscribers if they don't carry the channel. It's a very niche channel that 3/4 of the country doesn't care about. And I heard that the PAC-12 wants around 80 or 90 cents a subscriber. Ha. They are out of their minds. That's more than BTN gets and the Big Ten conference is much more popular.
Go Big Red!!!

spam firewall