Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Choice Extra Package

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:53 AM

New packages started today, I have Choice Extra Classic. The only channel I have lost is Cloo.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:06 AM

No way it gets put in to the same package as BTN. It will probably be in a certain package for viewers inside the PAC-12 footprint and sports pack for everyone else. Or I can even see DirecTV not adding the network. I honestly don't see them losing very many subscribers if they don't carry the channel. It's a very niche channel that 3/4 of the country doesn't care about. And I heard that the PAC-12 wants around 80 or 90 cents a subscriber. Ha. They are out of their minds. That's more than BTN gets and the Big Ten conference is much more popular.

Maybe living in the back hills of Lousiana makes you not wanting to watch the Pac 12 network, but those of us in Pac 12 markets do see a big need. When direct competitors (Comcast, etc) will have the channels in a popular programming tier you'd see a mass exit of customers to cable if it is not offered. Trust me on this.

Directv's HQ is right in the heart of LA - the largest college football TV market. No way whatsoever the Pac 12 will not be on a regular tier. You may see some difference outside the Pac 12, but I really don't think so. The whole concept Larry Scott has been pursuing is a national channel with a national following.

#23 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:06 AM

will be in basic for all? or basic for people in the pac 12 area and sports pack for people out side of the pac 12 area?

I don't know, but I'd not want to bet against Larry Scott.

#24 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:54 AM

Maybe living in the back hills of Lousiana makes you not wanting to watch the Pac 12 network, but those of us in Pac 12 markets do see a big need. When direct competitors (Comcast, etc) will have the channels in a popular programming tier you'd see a mass exit of customers to cable if it is not offered. Trust me on this.

Directv's HQ is right in the heart of LA - the largest college football TV market. No way whatsoever the Pac 12 will not be on a regular tier. You may see some difference outside the Pac 12, but I really don't think so. The whole concept Larry Scott has been pursuing is a national channel with a national following.

Which is why I believe it will be in sports pack except in PAC-12 foot print. They are wanting way too much per subscriber for the channel. Just ridiculous and I don't want my bill going up for that channel.
Go Big Red!!!

#25 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:20 AM

Guess I'll be sticking to Choice Xtra Classic since I watch NHL Network and Golf Channel. I have never watched the other ones listed as being removed.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#26 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

Well, the 9th is finally here so we get to see how the greedy bas----- at DirecTV have moved channels to more expensive packages and raised everyone's prices...without trying to irk existing subs TOO much. :mad:

One thing I noticed in viewing my account on the web site is that my "PLUS DVR" package is now "Choice Extra + DVR" (?). The little blue notice that came with my bill said "PLUS DVR" was continuing as a grandfathered package. I guess it's a moot point since the $1 DVR fee discount for having the "combined" package went away with last year's price increase so the only benefit was a cute name.

Apparently, the channels that are disappearing from Choice Extra (Boomerang, Pursuit, etc.) are remaining for customers who had the package prior to today. (Thanks a lot!) But, as previously announced, CLOO is gone. Boo hoo what am I going to do without being able to watch all those "Law & Order" reruns???

Meanwhile, I see "Entertainment" is worthless (certainly not worth $54 a month). I'll bet the folks at DISH network are clinking glasses and having a party today after seeing the new DirecTV packages. My biggest laugh is that Entertainment is so crappy you don't even get THE WEATHER CHANNEL which is included in EVERYBODY's cheapest package-it was even included in the old "Family" package for $30!! But you DO get ESPN, the most expensive "basic cable" channel as far as fees DirecTV has to pay per sub.

I wonder what programming genius came up with these changes? :confused:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#27 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

chill home skillet

The D* site is jacked up right now. Its missing a ton of channels in the Entertainment package. See the "Entertainment Package" thread about what is truly in it

Also at the other site someone changed to that today and confirmed its basically Choice minus sports channels (there are a couple channels gone too but not the "main" ones)

#28 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

I am paying over $100 per month for D*.. if that doesn't get ever channel they make , then something is wrong.. I have had total choice PLUS for over 10 years.. what's the story..

#29 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

I was hoping that getting moved into this package from the old Total Choice Plus would make it easier to make programming changes online, but when I tried to make a change today I still get the same old message that I need to switch to one of their newer packages first:mad:
HR20-100S/Seagate
H20-100
Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Plasma
Pioneer Elite AVR SC-05
Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray

#30 ONLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 378 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

I am paying over $100 per month for D*.. if that doesn't get ever channel they make , then something is wrong.. I have had total choice PLUS for over 10 years.. what's the story..

Cloo has been moved to Choice Ultimate. See the link below.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=200762

#31 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,964 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

Which is why I believe it will be in sports pack except in PAC-12 foot print. They are wanting way too much per subscriber for the channel. Just ridiculous and I don't want my bill going up for that channel.

Is the price your hearing for the one channel or for all seven? You do realize there are seven PAC 12 networks? And you know DirecTV has all nation wide channels nationwide, and local RSNs are what's in the sports packs. I think they should have the PAC 12 national network nationwide, and the six local networks distributed just like any other rsn, by region, and in the sports pack. Hate make the most sense, but we will see what happens. I don't think DirecTV would loose many, if any customers by not caring it, simply because you'd only loose one or two games a year for football of your local team unless things have changed since the last time I read about how they where going to use the channels in the beginning.

It should be interesting to see what happens. Many that price isn't that out of line. Heck, it's nothing compared to what they are after for the new lakers channels, Huston will want for their new rsn, and don't even get me started n the Comcast channel in Portland and Philly..

#32 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

Is the price your hearing for the one channel or for all seven? You do realize there are seven PAC 12 networks? And you know DirecTV has all nation wide channels nationwide, and local RSNs are what's in the sports packs. I think they should have the PAC 12 national network nationwide, and the six local networks distributed just like any other rsn, by region, and in the sports pack. Hate make the most sense, but we will see what happens. I don't think DirecTV would loose many, if any customers by not caring it, simply because you'd only loose one or two games a year for football of your local team unless things have changed since the last time I read about how they where going to use the channels in the beginning.

It should be interesting to see what happens. Many that price isn't that out of line. Heck, it's nothing compared to what they are after for the new lakers channels, Huston will want for their new rsn, and don't even get me started n the Comcast channel in Portland and Philly..

I hope to see somewhere between 1 and 7 channels for the Pac 12 Networks on DIRECTV. Perhaps just the national network and as many alternates as necessary.

#33 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

I believe I read that price was just for the main feed of the network. I could be totally wrong. I don't see DirecTV carrying the subchannels. I would imagine they will only carry the main feed of they even carry it at all.
Go Big Red!!!

#34 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

If you have NHL Center Ice that comes with NHL network so If you have Choice Xtra you should still get NHL N. I'm not sure if that is the case when Center ice ends in April, but once the playoffs are on, NHL N is pretty much useless.

Directv Premier Sport Packages  NFL ST, MLB EI, NHL CI, NBA LP,

Comcast Triple Play TV ( cheapest tv package for CSN Philly and TCN)

#35 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,564 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

I think it's stupid that The Golf Channel is only available in Ultimate now (unless you stay with Choice Extra Classic). No way am I going to pay $40 more for that channel + a few others.

The channel lists on DirecTV is a bit confusing as the HD list for Choice Extra Classic is showing nothing for me, except a couple of locals. And the other packages show "Available in" and lists the other packages.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#36 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

I was hoping that getting moved into this package from the old Total Choice Plus would make it easier to make programming changes online, but when I tried to make a change today I still get the same old message that I need to switch to one of their newer packages first:mad:

Total Choice Plus was grandfathered, hence no online changes.
Choice Extra Classic is now grandfathered, so no online changes.

Your only option is the NEW Choice Extra, or Choice Ultimate. Former has less channels, later is more expensive. Personally, Im staying with Xtra Classic grandfathered, and Ill call in if I want to change something.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#37 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,655 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

It seems they tried to keep what they could in Xtra Classic, I'm sure it wasn't just DirecTVs decision to remove it from our package if they kept all the others.

#38 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

I think it's stupid that The Golf Channel is only available in Ultimate now (unless you stay with Choice Extra Classic). No way am I going to pay $40 more for that channel + a few others.

The channel lists on DirecTV is a bit confusing as the HD list for Choice Extra Classic is showing nothing for me, except a couple of locals. And the other packages show "Available in" and lists the other packages.

I have Choice Xtra Classic and I get the full listing. Although it looks like its really the new package, since its missing NHLN and Golf channel, which I still have.

Attached Thumbnails

• Choice Xtra Classic.PNG

HR34-700, HR22-100

#39 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,564 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

I was looking at the page where all of the icons are listed in columns for each package.

Here's what the DirecTV site shows for my current package.

Attached Thumbnails

• DIRECTV 2012-02-09 19-27-11.png

Edited by jdspencer, 09 February 2012 - 06:29 PM.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#40 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

That list has been wrong for a long time. Its never listed the GOLF channel as being available (before or after the change) in the Xtra Package, but Ive always received it.

They seriously need to make those package comparisons more accurate and easier to read.

Give it a couple days, and one of the members here will probably come out with an excel file with all the old/new packages and the channels in each one...

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

spam firewall