Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Choice Extra Package

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

Nt sure what your talking about in terms of lower rates in different markets. Consumers will never see a difference in prices. I once again expect the national channel to be launched everywhere, probably in the same package as the nba nfl etc channels start in. The six regional channels however I spect to show up in just the local regions, and in the sports packs, not as a general national channel, because that was never its intent. Those channels are intended for in market teams in the first place, just like any other rsn.

What I said (before this got all confused) was that the price Directv will be paying will be similar to the Big 10 Network. At one point the Big 10 was charging 70 cents per subscriber in the Big 10 region and 10 cents per subscriber outside the region (rest of the USA). I don't know if those rates are the same today, but that is the point.

The national channel will be on nationwide. The area networks (i.e. Southerm Cal, AZ, etc.) may be in a sports pack setup outside of the local area, but we'll see.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

What I said (before this got all confused) was that the price Directv will be paying will be similar to the Big 10 Network. At one point the Big 10 was charging 70 cents per subscriber in the Big 10 region and 10 cents per subscriber outside the region (rest of the USA). I don't know if those rates are the same today, but that is the point.

The national channel will be on nationwide. The area networks (i.e. Southerm Cal, AZ, etc.) may be in a sports pack setup outside of the local area, but we'll see.

I would highly doubt DirecTV will carry the sub channels full time. There just isn't enough bandwidth to do that and I don't see them wasting bandwidth for those channels.
Go Big Red!!!

#53 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

I would highly doubt DirecTV will carry the sub channels full time. There just isn't enough bandwidth to do that and I don't see them wasting bandwidth for those channels.

They are not sub channels, I think your misinterpreting that. This is not the same as the big ten sub channels at all. These will be regular region sports channels and have lots of live sports all year long for the two schools in the area of each regional rsn. I think the PAC 12 would be completely fine with dtv putting those channels on spot beams for each market, which is something dtv has never done with a sports channel. I am sure that is part of the negotiation. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't start out with the national on national, and the six regionals on spot beams, and then when d14 goes operational bump all the regionals to national and the sports pack. That's what I'd do if I where DirecTV so that you can get the channels but not use so much bandwidth while it's limited as it is right now.

#54 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

They are not sub channels, I think your misinterpreting that. This is not the same as the big ten sub channels at all. These will be regular region sports channels and have lots of live sports all year long for the two schools in the area of each regional rsn. I think the PAC 12 would be completely fine with dtv putting those channels on spot beams for each market, which is something dtv has never done with a sports channel. I am sure that is part of the negotiation. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't start out with the national on national, and the six regionals on spot beams, and then when d14 goes operational bump all the regionals to national and the sports pack. That's what I'd do if I where DirecTV so that you can get the channels but not use so much bandwidth while it's limited as it is right now.

I know what the channels are and they aren't going to show any football games on any of the regional channels. They won't be showing any football games as those will be on the main channel. Really no need at this time to waste bandwidth for the regional channels. Spot beams maybe but I don't see DirecTV doing that.
Go Big Red!!!

#55 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

I know what the channels are and they aren't going to show any football games on any of the regional channels. They won't be showing any football games as those will be on the main channel. Really no need at this time to waste bandwidth for the regional channels. Spot beams maybe but I don't see DirecTV doing that.

Directv is going to have to carry these "regional channels" in a regular package. Why? Because their competitors have already signed on to do so for the geographical areas they represent. For example, Comcast in Oregon will have the Oregon RSN (or whatever you call it), Comcast in WA will have the Washington channel. If they don't many customers will leave to go back to the competitor (God forbid)

There are really only two questions: (1) will Directv carry all of the regional Pac-12 RSNs in the entire Pac 12 footprint? and (2) will Directv carry all of the regional Pac-12 RSNs nationwide?

The answer depends on the cost and something tells me that you will see them nationwide. WHY? Since they are on the system already and the bandwidth is being used, what is the real issue provided the potential cost for the viewers outside the footprint is reasonable (i.e. 10 cents a month) It's also a great way to get alums of all 12 of these universities as Directv customers since they won't have the regional Pac 12 RSNs on Comcast systems in Philadelphia, for example. If it costs Directv 10 cents a month then it will happen.

The Pac-12 model is all about viewers for the advertisers. Larry Scott is a master at negotiating and it will probably happen.

#56 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

RSN HD was on spot beams maybe Directv can put the regionals hd feeds on them and make them game only HD on the main beam.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#57 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

The problem with what you said is your only thinking football. There are a lot of other sports that will be on their channels. They may be horrendous this year but loosing ucla basketball games would be a bigger problem than loosing ucla football, for example, which will have games on the local rsns.

#58 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

RSN HD was on spot beams maybe Directv can put the regionals hd feeds on them and make them game only HD on the main beam.

Agreed. Although I'm not even sure they'd need to make them part time nationwide because of how they are setting up the channels.

It will be interesting to see what happens for sure.

#59 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

Directv is going to have to carry these "regional channels" in a regular package. Why? Because their competitors have already signed on to do so for the geographical areas they represent. For example, Comcast in Oregon will have the Oregon RSN (or whatever you call it), Comcast in WA will have the Washington channel. If they don't many customers will leave to go back to the competitor (God forbid)

There are really only two questions: (1) will Directv carry all of the regional Pac-12 RSNs in the entire Pac 12 footprint? and (2) will Directv carry all of the regional Pac-12 RSNs nationwide?

The answer depends on the cost and something tells me that you will see them nationwide. WHY? Since they are on the system already and the bandwidth is being used, what is the real issue provided the potential cost for the viewers outside the footprint is reasonable (i.e. 10 cents a month) It's also a great way to get alums of all 12 of these universities as Directv customers since they won't have the regional Pac 12 RSNs on Comcast systems in Philadelphia, for example. If it costs Directv 10 cents a month then it will happen.

The Pac-12 model is all about viewers for the advertisers. Larry Scott is a master at negotiating and it will probably happen.

I just think with the spectrum crunch we won't see the regionals national till after d14. I suspect they'll be on spot beams so they don't cause bandwidth issues and you'll only get your local regional for the time being which I'm fine with.

#60 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

Agreed. Although I'm not even sure they'd need to make them part time nationwide because of how they are setting up the channels.

It will be interesting to see what happens for sure.

what about 1-2 alt's to the main channel on the main beam with full time on the spots

#61 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:36 AM

I just think with the spectrum crunch we won't see the regionals national till after d14. I suspect they'll be on spot beams so they don't cause bandwidth issues and you'll only get your local regional for the time being which I'm fine with.

I just don't think the Pac-12 will settle for that. Plus making the regional channels available to all is a great way to attract new customers for the "sports leader." We'll have to see for sure, but if Directv carries them making them available to all is not a big deal - because they are already on the system and Directv owns the nationwide rights. So this is what is different from your local RSN - they usually only own regional rights and most of the channel is blacked out. Here nothing will be blacked out since the Pac-12 owns the content nationwide.

We'll see. I am hoping a deal gets done by noon, but if the past is a predictor I think it will go down to the wire.....

#62 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

I just don't think the Pac-12 will settle for that. Plus making the regional channels available to all is a great way to attract new customers for the "sports leader." We'll have to see for sure, but if Directv carries them making them available to all is not a big deal - because they are already on the system and Directv owns the nationwide rights. So this is what is different from your local RSN - they usually only own regional rights and most of the channel is blacked out. Here nothing will be blacked out since the Pac-12 owns the content nationwide.

We'll see. I am hoping a deal gets done by noon, but if the past is a predictor I think it will go down to the wire.....

Why would the PAC 12 not settle for that? That's exactly what they will get from every other carrier. That's actually their business model in the first place, none of the regionals have ever been expected to show up out of market.

And this is a massive deal, not a no biggie as you imply. For both technical and physical reasons.

And I think you keep missing the point. DirecTV has space for what, maybe twelve more channels right now Lakers will take two, Huston will take one, leaving nine. (assuming those deals get done as well. ) what has been said is dtv will add more than two more channels over the course of the year... Now they have seven or less available channels in the first place. It's just not realistic to think they will get all the channels up nationally right now. DirecTV will not max out their capacity for these six channels, and they shouldn't. They don't have the room. Maybe if there was a real important game they could do an alternate channel, but even then, since that's not expected, I don't think they'll even do that. If they do carry the PAC network, I do expect all the regionals to go national after d14 is launched, but till then, I don't see it as feasible from a physical standpoint.

Oh, and your assuming DirecTV would have nationwide rights for the regional channels, which would cost more money, which is why i dont think theyd show up on anything other than the sports pack for out of market. Yes, i dont even think the entire pac 12 markets would get each regional without the sports pack. I dont see directv wanting to pay that much. They have said that the number of sports channels (directly referring to the pac 12 as i recall) is getting out of hand, and what they are asking is too ( referring to csn in Portland area, as well as the long horn network I believe).

We will never know that, and at the moment, they don't have any rights. :). I don't think there is an actual deadline to getting any deals done either.

Edited by inkahauts, 13 February 2012 - 11:36 AM.

#63 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

Why would the PAC 12 not settle for that? That's exactly what they will get from every other carrier. That's actually their business model in the first place, none of the regionals have ever been expected to show up out of market.

And this is a massive deal, not a no biggie as you imply. For both technical and physical reasons.

And I think you keep missing the point. DirecTV has space for what, maybe twelve more channels right now Lakers will take two, Huston will take one, leaving nine. (assuming those deals get done as well. ) what has been said is dtv will add more than two more channels over the course of the year... Now they have seven or less available channels in the first place. It's just not realistic to think they will get all the channels up nationally right now. DirecTV will not max out their capacity for these six channels, and they shouldn't. They don't have the room. Maybe if there was a real important game they could do an alternate channel, but even then, since that's not expected, I don't think they'll even do that. If they do carry the PAC network, I do expect all the regionals to go national after d14 is launched, but till then, I don't see it as feasible from a physical standpoint.

Oh, and your assuming DirecTV would have nationwide rights for the regional channels, which would cost more money, which is why i dont think theyd show up on anything other than the sports pack for out of market. Yes, i dont even think the entire pac 12 markets would get each regional without the sports pack. I dont see directv wanting to pay that much. They have said that the number of sports channels (directly referring to the pac 12 as i recall) is getting out of hand, and what they are asking is too ( referring to csn in Portland area, as well as the long horn network I believe).

We will never know that, and at the moment, they don't have any rights. :). I don't think there is an actual deadline to getting any deals done either.

they can put Lakers Spanish in the sat with all the other Spanish on it.

But still they need room for
Cox Sports Television HD
CSN Philly HD maybe forced to take TCN Philly HD as well or at least as a part time over flow feed.
CSN NW HD
Lakers HD
Comcast/Charter Sports Southeast HD
FSN SD HD maybe able to fit on Directv as a subfeed
CSN Huston HD + maybe Comcast Sports Southwest (CSS) HD As a part time over flow feed?
a few FSN feeds moving to full time from subfeeds
PAC 12 HD main + alt's? and then the RSN feeds that may have alt's as well.

New stuff with that may come with a new ESPN deal

ESPN 3 HD (limited part time feed of some ESPN online games)
ESPN Goal Line HD / ESPN Buzzer Beater HD part time?
ESPN longhorn network HD (may work as spot beam only) Fios only has in HD in the longhorn area.
also may the part time Game Plan HD and Full Court HD.

Maybe some other RSN feeds maybe needed before D14 goes up let's say OTA tv goes away or get's cut down then at least in Chicago CSN may need like a max of 4-5 HD feeds at the same time. Or maybe the WGN / wciu games will move to CLTV HD.

#64 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

No, you are missing the point.

Directv is already going to have to give the bandwidth to the regionals. They will already be on the system anyway and the bandwidth is already going to be used.

There is no point to shove them all in the sportspack, the bandwidth is used. The Pac 12 will cut a deal that allows the out of market items to be a low cost, so it is just as easy to keep them on for everyone.

The ONLY reason your RSN is not on nationwide is that the RSN itself does not own the market rights for out of the area. But here the Pac-12 does own the rights.

You are right Directv has issues on overall bandwidth and always has. No matter how much bandwidth it builds it finds a use for them.

If there is a bandwidth issue you may see some of the regionals in SD for now, but long term you will see them.

You are right, for now there is no deal. But it will happen. Directv will lose many, many customers if they don't. Our football stadiums across the Pac 12 contain lots of tv viewers by itself....you will see a HUGE number of these folks leave if they don't carry it. But also by carrying it they'll gain new subscribers if they offer something the local cable co can't! And they'll offer it at a small price to gain a new customer in say NY...the channel is already on the system!

#65 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

I love when people think for some reason their college conference is so important that Directv MUST carry it or else. Like I've said, wanna have them? Fine. Put Big 10, PAC 10, LHN, and any other that comes along in their own separate sports tier. Not Sports Pack that we have now. Give them their own college level regional whatever and put all these stations in it.

#66 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,533 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

I love when people think for some reason their college conference is so important that Directv MUST carry it or else.

No kidding.

Obviously, the Big 10 should be carried by everyone for free, but most of those other conferences? Right.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#67 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

No kidding.

Obviously, the Big 10 should be carried by everyone for free, but most of those other conferences? Right.

No, it shouldn't. I said I wish all of them were in there own tier together. If they did that with the NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA I'd be fine with that too but at least those are NATIONAL leagues that appeal to a large number of people everywhere not regional areas around the country.

#68 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,369 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

Other than USC & Oregon (possibly Stanford), the Pac12 is pretty weak for national recognition and popularity. I don't see a point in adding all the Pac12 affiliates. School specific channels shouldn't be on the radar until after the next satellite.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#69 OFFLINE   LCDSpazz

LCDSpazz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:24 AM

I can't wait for every major college and conference to start their own channel so bills can average $300 a month. Maybe every pro team can start their own channel too? Didn't most of this stuff used to be aired on network or major cable channels? Now it's all being carved up and sold for god knows how much more than before.

#70 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:34 AM

I can't wait for every major college and conference to start their own channel so bills can average $300 a month. Maybe every pro team can start their own channel too? Didn't most of this stuff used to be aired on network or major cable channels? Now it's all being carved up and sold for god knows how much more than before.

The pro team owns part of the local RSN's in Chicago they own like 80% of CSN Chicago.

#71 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

No, you are missing the point.

Directv is already going to have to give the bandwidth to the regionals. They will already be on the system anyway and the bandwidth is already going to be used.

There is no point to shove them all in the sportspack, the bandwidth is used. The Pac 12 will cut a deal that allows the out of market items to be a low cost, so it is just as easy to keep them on for everyone.

The ONLY reason your RSN is not on nationwide is that the RSN itself does not own the market rights for out of the area. But here the Pac-12 does own the rights.

You are right Directv has issues on overall bandwidth and always has. No matter how much bandwidth it builds it finds a use for them.

If there is a bandwidth issue you may see some of the regionals in SD for now, but long term you will see them.

You are right, for now there is no deal. But it will happen. Directv will lose many, many customers if they don't. Our football stadiums across the Pac 12 contain lots of tv viewers by itself....you will see a HUGE number of these folks leave if they don't carry it. But also by carrying it they'll gain new subscribers if they offer something the local cable co can't! And they'll offer it at a small price to gain a new customer in say NY...the channel is already on the system!

Sorry, I'm not missing the point.

I understand what your saying, but your just not catching on to what is physically happening when dtv puts channels on a spot beam. If DirecTV puts the regional versions on spot beams, then it's not taking up any bandwidth on the conus transponders, allowing them to only use one channel for the main PAC 12 network for nationwide coverage that would be available to everyone. This they have room for now with ease. Most every dma has room for several more lil hd channels. They do not have room for all seven channels in hd conus right now.

Or to put it another way, the can supply the regional channels to each region they go to without using bandwidth for a national channel. Thats key.

Then when they have the bandwidth, they will be able to put the regional channels onto a conus beam and let the entire country see them at that time.

As for if they are available to all or on the sports pack, who knows.

Your completely wrong about the rsn for other areas. All rsn dtv carries right now are available right now nationwide if you have the sports pack today. Thats the whole point of the sports pack, to see channels outside your area for pre and post games, and lower level games that arent restricted by tv rights to certain areas or channels, etc. If not having rights to all games was the only issue, they wouldn't have a sorts pack, they'd let them all show to everyone all the time, and simply blackout the games they weren't authorized to show nationwide. When you have the sports pack now, that doesn't get you all the games on all RSNs throughout the country, it just gives you access to all the channels and their programs they have rights to broadcast nationally. The difference in the regional PAC 12 networks is they would have the rights to broadcast all the games nationally, no blackouts. That still doesn't change the fact DirecTV and the pac12 could come to an agreement to have them available to everyone for free, or put them in the sports pack. I still believe they will end up in the sports pack. This will allow DirecTV to carry the channels but only pay for them for the few subscribers that would actually have the sports pack, rather than pay them based on all the customers in a much much larger package. Not unless the pac12 makes their rates for areas not in the pac12 areas so cheep it would be the same price, but I doubt that will happen.

That's really a we disagree on what prices will be asked for and found acceptable for the regional channels on a national level, not a factual issue of how bandwidth can and would be used, which is a massive factor into this whole issue in the first place.

Only time will tell though, on where those channels end up in the long run. But for the short run, I can't see how it can be expected to show all the regional channels nationwide, that would take up six more channels worth of capacity vs simply having those channels broadcast only to their actual regions to match cable companies till d14 is up, and they have the actual bandwidth to do it. Today, they easily have the bandwidth for local carriage of the regional networks, but not national carriage.

#72 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

Some more info on the status of the Pac-12 networks...

http://blogs.mercury...aking-ceremony/

#73 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:58 AM

Sorry, I'm not missing the point. Your completely wrong about the rsn for other areas. All rsn dtv carries right now are available right now nationwide if you have the sports pack today. Thats the whole point of the sports pack, to see channels outside your area for pre and post games, and lower level games that arent restricted by tv rights to certain areas or channels, etc. If not having rights to all games was the only issue, they wouldn't have a sorts pack, they'd let them all show to everyone all the time, and simply blackout the games they weren't authorized to show nationwide. When you have the sports pack now, that doesn't get you all the games on all RSNs throughout the country, it just gives you access to all the channels and their programs they have rights to broadcast nationally. The difference in the regional PAC 12 networks is they would have the rights to broadcast all the games nationally, no blackouts.

YES you are missing the point. Yes you can pay $12.99 for Sports Pack to get out of market RSNs. But you do not get the most of the content of these RSNs as MOST of the professional and some college sports Directv only has the right to show the content in the area of the channel - the area Directv has rights to show it in.

The difference with the Pac 12 channels is that Directv will have the right to show it nationwide. If the channel is already on the system there is little or no additional cost to Directv to show that channel to everyone on it's system. If the price per subscriber is small enough (10 cents?) outside the footprint Directv will show it. WHY? Because they WILL gain subscribers from it. The UW fan in NYC, the Stanford fan in Boston, etc.

Now if they only stick the channel in the local DMA as you suggest then they cannot show that channel to everyone else in the Pac 12 footprint if they want it. Putting it in the local DMA is not a realistic option. A Pac 12 fan in Phoenix might want all Pac 12 channels for example. That's just not practical for the Pac 12 network and it won't happen. If they are in the local DMA none of these channels could even be in the sports pack since that would be nationwide.

The bandwidth issue is always an issue. That's an issue for Directv and always will be. No matter how much bandwidth you have you will always need more. Directv can take it away from the PPV movies, not show every home and away channel on the MLB, NBA, NHL packages, etc. That's a choice that will need to be made by someone in Directv.

Pac-12 is only going to put their channels on Directv if it benefits them. If they get pushed only to Sportspack for everyone or most channels you will not see the channels here. The other side to that is Directv looses lots of customers in the Pac-12 footprint because the cable packages are already signed on - to carry the Pac 12 national channel and the local channel in the footprint - and in a sports tier the other channels (or so we're told). So if the cable companies have the channels and satellite does not, then where are we? Satellite can't compete then.

Pac-12 knows that a national distribution contract benefits them so they want to be able to push the games everywhere. Cable cos in NJ, NY DC, etc. won't carry the Pac 12 and especially won't carry all the local regionals. So pushing for viewership, Pac 12 says to Directv, take the channels you aready have and make them go national with every one of them and we'll charge you next to nothing for people outside of the Pac 12 footprint. How can Directv say no to that - because even if they pick up one customer who wouldn't normally have Directv - then Directv benefits. The bandwidth is already used up.

So what's the limitation? The total bandwidth available. You say there is not enough to accomodate everyone. I don't know if that is true or not. If it is, then that's an issue to work out. It's also leverage for Directv to use with other channels to keep prices down - could say hey Oprah channel, we have a limit on the amount of bandwidth and you want X and we say we'll pay Y - and thats it. We don't have bandwidth for all, so either sign on at X or we're done and if we're done we don't know if you will ever get access again. That's a business decision they'd have to make.

So restricted bandwidth can benefit Directv in more ways than one.

I would be shocked - completely shocked if the Pac 12 ends up in sports pack. It makes so sense to the Pac 12 to even put the channels on Directv should that be the case.

It comes down to who has the real leverage here? Key to all of this negotiation was getting every major cable company on board before launch. How in the world Larry Scott did that I do not know, but he did. Now that he did that upped the ante for Directv and the others to carry the channel. The man is brilliant.

We'll just have to see....but I will bet you a beer that they will either be all on or not at all. If there is a real bandwidth problem the only accomodation I could see Pac 12 making is temporarily allowing some SD content for the regionals with all major sports events being in HD. We'll have to see....:D:)

#74 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:04 AM

The bandwidth issue is always an issue. That's an issue for Directv and always will be. No matter how much bandwidth you have you will always need more. Directv can take it away from the PPV movies, not show every home and away channel on the MLB, NBA, NHL packages, etc. That's a choice that will need to be made by someone in Directv.

Sure. Remove programming from packages people are paying lots of $$$ for, or movies people are paying $$$ for, and put on regional sports that everyone will get for free? Yea, I can hear that business meeting now. Pass the donuts.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#75 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

Does anyone know where the thread that discusses the "New Choice Extra Package" went to? ;)
HR34-700, HR22-100

Protected By... spam firewall...And...