Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Choice Extra Package

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

No way it gets put in to the same package as BTN. It will probably be in a certain package for viewers inside the PAC-12 footprint and sports pack for everyone else. Or I can even see DirecTV not adding the network. I honestly don't see them losing very many subscribers if they don't carry the channel. It's a very niche channel that 3/4 of the country doesn't care about. And I heard that the PAC-12 wants around 80 or 90 cents a subscriber. Ha. They are out of their minds. That's more than BTN gets and the Big Ten conference is much more popular.

According to this article, the Pac-12 already has a wider distribution than the Big-10 Network, and that's before negotiating any satellite distribution. Also, one of the guys behind the scenes worked on launching the BTN, and they're calling this version 2.0.

First, Pac-12 Networks lined up four partners - Comcast, Time-Warner, Cox and Bright House - that already reach 40 million homes. So if Pac-12 Networks launched today, it'd be No. 11 in the country in sports networks for distribution.

(According to Sports Business Journal, these were the top-10-distributed sports networks for June, rounded off: 1, ESPN, 100.1 million TV homes. 2, ESPN2, 99.9 million. 3, Golf Channel, 83.8 million. 4, Speed, 78.5 million. 5, Versus, 76.2 million. 6, ESPN News, 74.2 million. 7, ESPNU, 73.2 million. 8, NFL Network, 56.9 million. 9, MLB Network, 56.2 million. 10, NBA TV, 55.6 million.)

While Maestas says the 40-million start is a robust number, he adds, "In 12 months, I think they'll easily pick up another 20-25 million households."

Not sure how that's possible to have all those households with only a few cable co's attached, but it's an interesting read...

http://seattletimes....rich_quick.html

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,861 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:20 PM

I believe I read that price was just for the main feed of the network. I could be totally wrong. I don't see DirecTV carrying the subchannels. I would imagine they will only carry the main feed of they even carry it at all.

Oh I see them carying all or none. They are going to have a ton of programing on the six regional channels, 24/7, unlike what we see on the big ten channels, from what I have read. But really, till they are launched, who really knows, as things can change. I just suspect they will carry the national nationally in a non entry level package, and the regional ones regionally and in the sports pack, but we will see...

#43 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

Which is why I believe it will be in sports pack except in PAC-12 foot print. They are wanting way too much per subscriber for the channel. Just ridiculous and I don't want my bill going up for that channel.

I sincerely doubt that the Pac 12 will settle for distribution in Sports Pack. That wouldn't give justice to their model. I sense that the channel will be available to all or not at all on Directv. Directv does not have to carry the Pac 12 at all. The Pac 12 doesn't have to put the channel on Directv either. Who needs who?

If Pac 12 does not put the channel on Directv, Directv will lose me, period, and probably, over time, most college sports followers in the west coast footprint. This is a dilemma Directv has. The Pac 12 is bigger than Directv and it will control whether I use them as a provider and most others.

What you will see is that one of the two satellite companies will get the Pac 12 channel on it's system on a tier watched by most. You will see one charge for viewers in the Pac 12 footprint - and you'll see an expansive definition of that (to include nearly every west coast state even beyond the states with Pac 12 teams...expect Nevada, Idaho for example, to be included. The rest of the US will get a lower rate.

In the end the Pac 12 and Big 10 will control college athletics. They are already talking of eliminating the middle man for bowl games and doing it themselves. They are already scheduling a Pac 12/Big 10 annual game in each sport (football will start in 2017 due to existing contracts). It's more about viewing dollars and controlling the content. There will be some good non conference games, unlike other conferences.

#44 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,148 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:06 AM

Personally, Im staying with Xtra Classic grandfathered, and Ill call in if I want to change something.

I have Choice Xtra Classic and I get the full listing. Although it looks like its really the new package, since its missing NHLN and Golf channel, which I still have.

That list has been wrong for a long time. Its never listed the GOLF channel as being available (before or after the change) in the Xtra Package, but Ive always received it.

They seriously need to make those package comparisons more accurate and easier to read.

Same boat here. Had TC+, now Choice Extra Classic.
$ for $, its currently the best deal. Particularly since I already have SHO so TMC and Sundance came as part of Showtime. Glad I stayed on TC+ all those years.

My online guide is wrong too. According to that I get 10 local channels and only PBSK 295. I get 11 channels according to the web when I log in.

But can confirm only CLOO was lost and never watched it so its a non-issue for me. Golf and NHLHD are still there as always.

#45 OFFLINE   dminches

dminches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

I have the ancient total choice and the list doesn't even say it includes ESPN HD.

DirecTV subscriber since 1994
HR44 (5 TB eSata) -> Runco LS-5 via HDMI

HR24-500 (2 TB eSata) -> Samsung 50" via HDMI
HR24-100 (1.5 TB eSata) -> Sony 50E2000 via HDMI
HR24-700 - owned (2 TB internal) -> Samsung LN32A550 via HDMI
HR20-100s - owned -> Sony Bravia 40"

#46 OFFLINE   Red Dog

Red Dog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

I thought I read that the P12N was going to be 1 main channel with 6 full time 'regional' channels (AZ, S.Cal, N.Cal, OR, WA, UT/CO). If so I see the main channel getting into a Choice tier like BTN but the regionals going into the SP.

#47 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,861 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

I sincerely doubt that the Pac 12 will settle for distribution in Sports Pack. That wouldn't give justice to their model. I sense that the channel will be available to all or not at all on Directv. Directv does not have to carry the Pac 12 at all. The Pac 12 doesn't have to put the channel on Directv either. Who needs who?

If Pac 12 does not put the channel on Directv, Directv will lose me, period, and probably, over time, most college sports followers in the west coast footprint. This is a dilemma Directv has. The Pac 12 is bigger than Directv and it will control whether I use them as a provider and most others.

What you will see is that one of the two satellite companies will get the Pac 12 channel on it's system on a tier watched by most. You will see one charge for viewers in the Pac 12 footprint - and you'll see an expansive definition of that (to include nearly every west coast state even beyond the states with Pac 12 teams...expect Nevada, Idaho for example, to be included. The rest of the US will get a lower rate.

In the end the Pac 12 and Big 10 will control college athletics. They are already talking of eliminating the middle man for bowl games and doing it themselves. They are already scheduling a Pac 12/Big 10 annual game in each sport (football will start in 2017 due to existing contracts). It's more about viewing dollars and controlling the content. There will be some good non conference games, unlike other conferences.

Nt sure what your talking about in terms of lower rates in different markets. Consumers will never see a difference in prices. I once again expect the national channel to be launched everywhere, probably in the same package as the nba nfl etc channels start in. The six regional channels however I spect to show up in just the local regions, and in the sports packs, not as a general national channel, because that was never its intent. Those channels are intended for in market teams in the first place, just like any other rsn.

#48 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

Nt sure what your talking about in terms of lower rates in different markets. Consumers will never see a difference in prices. I once again expect the national channel to be launched everywhere, probably in the same package as the nba nfl etc channels start in. The six regional channels however I spect to show up in just the local regions, and in the sports packs, not as a general national channel, because that was never its intent. Those channels are intended for in market teams in the first place, just like any other rsn.

Exactly there will not be different prices for different markets, I totally agree. Those regional channels will not see the light of day in a regular package.

#49 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:26 AM

Never said the end customer/viewer will receive a different price. Customer will pay the same price. Directv will get priced similar to the Big 10 Network model with in conference footprint customers at X price and out of conference footprint at Y price.

#50 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,783 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:33 AM

I am paying over $100 per month for D*.. if that doesn't get ever channel they make , then something is wrong.. I have had total choice PLUS for over 10 years.. what's the story..

If you want all the channels then subscribe to Premier and HD Extra Pack. You get what you pay for.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#51 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

What I said (before this got all confused) was that the price Directv will be paying will be similar to the Big 10 Network. At one point the Big 10 was charging 70 cents per subscriber in the Big 10 region and 10 cents per subscriber outside the region (rest of the USA). I don't know if those rates are the same today, but that is the point.

The national channel will be on nationwide. The area networks (i.e. Southerm Cal, AZ, etc.) may be in a sports pack setup outside of the local area, but we'll see.

#52 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

What I said (before this got all confused) was that the price Directv will be paying will be similar to the Big 10 Network. At one point the Big 10 was charging 70 cents per subscriber in the Big 10 region and 10 cents per subscriber outside the region (rest of the USA). I don't know if those rates are the same today, but that is the point.

The national channel will be on nationwide. The area networks (i.e. Southerm Cal, AZ, etc.) may be in a sports pack setup outside of the local area, but we'll see.

I would highly doubt DirecTV will carry the sub channels full time. There just isn't enough bandwidth to do that and I don't see them wasting bandwidth for those channels.
Go Big Red!!!

#53 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,861 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

I would highly doubt DirecTV will carry the sub channels full time. There just isn't enough bandwidth to do that and I don't see them wasting bandwidth for those channels.

They are not sub channels, I think your misinterpreting that. This is not the same as the big ten sub channels at all. These will be regular region sports channels and have lots of live sports all year long for the two schools in the area of each regional rsn. I think the PAC 12 would be completely fine with dtv putting those channels on spot beams for each market, which is something dtv has never done with a sports channel. I am sure that is part of the negotiation. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't start out with the national on national, and the six regionals on spot beams, and then when d14 goes operational bump all the regionals to national and the sports pack. That's what I'd do if I where DirecTV so that you can get the channels but not use so much bandwidth while it's limited as it is right now.

#54 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

They are not sub channels, I think your misinterpreting that. This is not the same as the big ten sub channels at all. These will be regular region sports channels and have lots of live sports all year long for the two schools in the area of each regional rsn. I think the PAC 12 would be completely fine with dtv putting those channels on spot beams for each market, which is something dtv has never done with a sports channel. I am sure that is part of the negotiation. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't start out with the national on national, and the six regionals on spot beams, and then when d14 goes operational bump all the regionals to national and the sports pack. That's what I'd do if I where DirecTV so that you can get the channels but not use so much bandwidth while it's limited as it is right now.

I know what the channels are and they aren't going to show any football games on any of the regional channels. They won't be showing any football games as those will be on the main channel. Really no need at this time to waste bandwidth for the regional channels. Spot beams maybe but I don't see DirecTV doing that.
Go Big Red!!!

#55 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

I know what the channels are and they aren't going to show any football games on any of the regional channels. They won't be showing any football games as those will be on the main channel. Really no need at this time to waste bandwidth for the regional channels. Spot beams maybe but I don't see DirecTV doing that.

Directv is going to have to carry these "regional channels" in a regular package. Why? Because their competitors have already signed on to do so for the geographical areas they represent. For example, Comcast in Oregon will have the Oregon RSN (or whatever you call it), Comcast in WA will have the Washington channel. If they don't many customers will leave to go back to the competitor (God forbid)

There are really only two questions: (1) will Directv carry all of the regional Pac-12 RSNs in the entire Pac 12 footprint? and (2) will Directv carry all of the regional Pac-12 RSNs nationwide?

The answer depends on the cost and something tells me that you will see them nationwide. WHY? Since they are on the system already and the bandwidth is being used, what is the real issue provided the potential cost for the viewers outside the footprint is reasonable (i.e. 10 cents a month) It's also a great way to get alums of all 12 of these universities as Directv customers since they won't have the regional Pac 12 RSNs on Comcast systems in Philadelphia, for example. If it costs Directv 10 cents a month then it will happen.

The Pac-12 model is all about viewers for the advertisers. Larry Scott is a master at negotiating and it will probably happen.

#56 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

RSN HD was on spot beams maybe Directv can put the regionals hd feeds on them and make them game only HD on the main beam.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#57 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,861 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

The problem with what you said is your only thinking football. There are a lot of other sports that will be on their channels. They may be horrendous this year but loosing ucla basketball games would be a bigger problem than loosing ucla football, for example, which will have games on the local rsns.

#58 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,861 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

RSN HD was on spot beams maybe Directv can put the regionals hd feeds on them and make them game only HD on the main beam.

Agreed. Although I'm not even sure they'd need to make them part time nationwide because of how they are setting up the channels.

It will be interesting to see what happens for sure.

#59 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,861 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

Directv is going to have to carry these "regional channels" in a regular package. Why? Because their competitors have already signed on to do so for the geographical areas they represent. For example, Comcast in Oregon will have the Oregon RSN (or whatever you call it), Comcast in WA will have the Washington channel. If they don't many customers will leave to go back to the competitor (God forbid)

There are really only two questions: (1) will Directv carry all of the regional Pac-12 RSNs in the entire Pac 12 footprint? and (2) will Directv carry all of the regional Pac-12 RSNs nationwide?

The answer depends on the cost and something tells me that you will see them nationwide. WHY? Since they are on the system already and the bandwidth is being used, what is the real issue provided the potential cost for the viewers outside the footprint is reasonable (i.e. 10 cents a month) It's also a great way to get alums of all 12 of these universities as Directv customers since they won't have the regional Pac 12 RSNs on Comcast systems in Philadelphia, for example. If it costs Directv 10 cents a month then it will happen.

The Pac-12 model is all about viewers for the advertisers. Larry Scott is a master at negotiating and it will probably happen.

I just think with the spectrum crunch we won't see the regionals national till after d14. I suspect they'll be on spot beams so they don't cause bandwidth issues and you'll only get your local regional for the time being which I'm fine with.

#60 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

Agreed. Although I'm not even sure they'd need to make them part time nationwide because of how they are setting up the channels.

It will be interesting to see what happens for sure.

what about 1-2 alt's to the main channel on the main beam with full time on the spots
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...