Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Choice Extra Package

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Not the Fist of Goodness

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

It's just annoying. I don't know who the PAC-12 thinks they are. They aren't the SEC or Big Ten. At 90 cents a subscriber they would be getting almost as much as TNT gets and more than Disney, TBS, USA and ESPN2. Uh, what? They are out of their minds and if any cable or satellite company gives them that much it makes me sick. The Big Ten Network only gets around 40 cents a subscriber. Enough with all this crap. Tired of it. :)

Link? Googling shows that B1G is also getting 90 cents per subscriber in market.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

Link? Googling shows that B1G is also getting 90 cents per subscriber in market.

The only thing I could find with a list is this website:
http://consumerist.c...s-you-hate.html

If the Big Ten is getting that much that makes me sick, too. Although, I do believe the Big Ten Network deserves much more money than the Pac-12 Network does. The B1G is much more popular as a conference than the Pac-12.
Go Big Red!!!

#83 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

It's just annoying. I don't know who the PAC-12 thinks they are. They aren't the SEC or Big Ten. At 90 cents a subscriber they would be getting almost as much as TNT gets and more than Disney, TBS, USA and ESPN2. Uh, what? They are out of their minds and if any cable or satellite company gives them that much it makes me sick. The Big Ten Network only gets around 40 cents a subscriber. Enough with all this crap. Tired of it. :)

You don't know who the Pac-12 thinks they are? Pac-12 controls

#2 - Los Angeles
#6 - Bay Area
#13 - Seattle
#14 - Phoenix
#18 - Denver
#23 - Portland
#36 - Salt Lake

Plus realistically #28 - San Diego, #40 - Las Vegas

What does SEC control? Really #9 - Atlanta, #29 - Nashville, #39 - Birmingham, #49 Knoxville. #52 - New Orleans, etc.

It's all about viewers and dollars. This past BCS championship ratings were the worst ever nationwide. While the SEC may play decent football, most of America really doesn't care. I know that's hard to accept, but the reality.

#84 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

#2 - Los Angeles
#6 - Bay Area
#13 - Seattle
#14 - Phoenix
#18 - Denver
#23 - Portland
#36 - Salt Lake

What does SEC control? Really #9 - Atlanta, #29 - Nashville, #39 - Birmingham, #49 Knoxville. #52 - New Orleans, etc.

It's all about viewers and dollars. This past BCS championship ratings were the worst ever nationwide. While the SEC may play decent football, most of America really doesn't care. I know that's hard to accept, but the reality.

Bwaaa haaa haaaa. You are crazy. Most of the country doesn't watch the PAC-12. The SEC is king. The SEC has to get way better ratings than any PAC-12 game. But that's not the point. I'm just annoyed with how much these sports channels are getting. And what scares me the most is how much the Big Ten and SEC are going to get in a few years when their TV contracts are up for renewal. It's going to blow past how much the PAC-12 is getting now and that is very scary. Our tv bills are going to sky rocket come then. :(
Go Big Red!!!

#85 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

#2 - Los Angeles
#6 - Bay Area
#13 - Seattle
#14 - Phoenix
#18 - Denver
#23 - Portland
#36 - Salt Lake

Yeah that's why CBS has an exclusive an agreement to carry only their games nationally on their broadcast network.....because no one cares about them. I love conference homers. That goes for SEC, PAC-10, Big 10, Big 12, Conference USA, etc. The nation as a whole doesn't care about any one conference. The nation should not be subject to any conference sports network in a basic programming package for the very reason they are of regional interest.

#86 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,979 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

Sorry to high jack this thread about PAC-12 networks but I just read where they will be wanting 90 cents a subscriber. They are out of their minds. I hope DirecTV doesn't give in and give them that kind of money. I have had it with how much sports programming is jacking up our monthly rates.

Where did you read that? I'd like to see it. Was the 90 for all channels? If so, thats actually pretty cheap, but is also why I think that other than maybe the national and maybe locals into the local markets, these will end up in the sports pack if they get picked up.

#87 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:15 PM

Where did you read that? I'd like to see it. Was the 90 for all channels? If so, thats actually pretty cheap, but is also why I think that other than maybe the national and maybe locals into the local markets, these will end up in the sports pack if they get picked up.

Believe 90 cents just for the main feed. It was a tweet from a PAC-12 reporter out west. I will try to find the tweet again.
Go Big Red!!!

#88 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

Bwaaa haaa haaaa. You are crazy. Most of the country doesn't watch the PAC-12. The SEC is king. The SEC has to get way better ratings than any PAC-12 game. But that's not the point. I'm just annoyed with how much these sports channels are getting. And what scares me the most is how much the Big Ten and SEC are going to get in a few years when their TV contracts are up for renewal. It's going to blow past how much the PAC-12 is getting now and that is very scary. Our tv bills are going to sky rocket come then. :(

Call it what you want. Media markets control.

By the time the SEC is looking to start its channel there won't be any space left on the satellites or cable systems. Pac 12 and Big 10 will have that all locked up. No one will have any money left.

#89 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:44 PM

Yeah that's why CBS has an exclusive an agreement to carry only their games nationally on their broadcast network.....because no one cares about them. I love conference homers. That goes for SEC, PAC-10, Big 10, Big 12, Conference USA, etc. The nation as a whole doesn't care about any one conference. The nation should not be subject to any conference sports network in a basic programming package for the very reason they are of regional interest.

I wish all sports was a on a sports tier myself.

Excuse me on national coverage. It's not uncommon out west that some of the games don't hit the local channels. They show infomercials instead sometimes....it's gotten better, but we don't always get those games on CBS.

#90 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

By the time the SEC is looking to start its channel there won't be any space left on the satellites or cable systems..

SEC Network already has a channel of sorts. Usually picked up by local affiliates and cable systems on a per game basis. Dont see it on any of the satellite companies, but watch it on FTA satellite every weekend during college football season. Hopefully they will have baseball on it this spring...and I see they will: http://rickcaylor.we...363&postcount=2

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#91 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,519 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

By the time the SEC is looking to start its channel there won't be any space left on the satellites or cable systems. Pac 12 and Big 10 will have that all locked up. No one will have any money left.

:lol: I guess you didn't know...

The 2009 season marks the beginning of a new 15-year, $2.25 billion contract with ESPN, which coincides with a 15-year, $825 million deal with CBS.

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz1mbF57ul5
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#92 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

SEC Network already has a channel of sorts. Usually picked up by local affiliates and cable systems on a per game basis. Dont see it on any of the satellite companies, but watch it on FTA satellite every weekend during college football season. Hopefully they will have baseball on it this spring...and I see they will: http://rickcaylor.we...363&postcount=2

CSS a other comcast cable only channel.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#93 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

CSS a other comcast cable only channel.

I know, that is why I watch the feed on FTA.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#94 OFFLINE   ms1960

ms1960

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

What satellite is CSS on FFA?

#95 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

What satellite is CSS on FFA?

It changes each week/game between a couple of them, but has been on 72W, 79W, or 85W (AMC 6, 9 , 16). Usually once you find the two or three they use, you can just check the same 3. At least last year, they didnt change the SR or Freq very often. Havent watched baseball yet, so time till tell if I can find it, if its scrambled, or fed via fiber.

#96 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

Bwaaa haaa haaaa. You are crazy. Most of the country doesn't watch the PAC-12. The SEC is king. The SEC has to get way better ratings than any PAC-12 game.

Yeah, the SEC rules about 15 days a year (football saturdays in the fall). Meanwhile the PAC-12 consistently wins championships in a bunch of sports. Makes for a pretty compelling full-time channel to the people in the west, which includes A LOT of big markets listed above, as well as alumni and fans nationwide. Not sure why you keep bringing up the Big-10. They aren't even comparable to the SEC in football or the Pac-12 in the rest of the sports, but I'm guessing your Nebraska avatar has something to do with it.

http://fs.ncaa.org/D...es/combined.pdf

Most D1 Championships - notice the drop off after #3
1. UCLA -- 108
2. Stanford -- 102
3. USC -- 94
4. Oklahoma St. -- 50
5. LSU -- 42

#97 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,519 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:27 PM

Yeah, the SEC rules about 15 days a year (football saturdays in the fall). Meanwhile the PAC-12 consistently wins championships in a bunch of sports. Makes for a pretty compelling full-time channel to the people in the west, which includes A LOT of big markets listed above, as well as alumni and fans nationwide. Not sure why you keep bringing up the Big-10. They aren't even comparable to the SEC in football or the Pac-12 in the rest of the sports, but I'm guessing your Nebraska avatar has something to do with it.

http://fs.ncaa.org/D...es/combined.pdf

Most D1 Championships - notice the drop off after #3
1. UCLA -- 108
2. Stanford -- 102
3. USC -- 94
4. Oklahoma St. -- 50
5. LSU -- 42

Most of those championships are in sports no one watches or cares about like swimming, water polo, tennis, golf, etc. For example, 33 of Stanford's 102 championships are men's & women tennis with another 16 in Swimming & diving. For UCLA, 55 of 108 are in swimming, water polo, & tennis.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#98 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

It changes each week/game between a couple of them, but has been on 72W, 79W, or 85W (AMC 6, 9 , 16). Usually once you find the two or three they use, you can just check the same 3. At least last year, they didnt change the SR or Freq very often. Havent watched baseball yet, so time till tell if I can find it, if its scrambled, or fed via fiber.

Is that FTA HD?

Also what CSS Houston or the other one?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#99 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:31 AM

Most of those championships are in sports no one watches or cares about like swimming, water polo, tennis, golf, etc. For example, 33 of Stanford's 102 championships are men's & women tennis with another 16 in Swimming & diving. For UCLA, 55 of 108 are in swimming, water polo, & tennis.

First of all, some people do care about those sports. Especially, when their local schools are playing, which the PAC-12 schools often are.

Second, Stanford and UCLA STILL have more championships than any non-PAC-12 schools without the sports you deem unworthy. So... what's your point? You think LSU won 42 football titles?

#100 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:58 AM

:lol: I guess you didn't know...

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz1mbF57ul5

Oh I knew. But you didn't read what I wrote:

"By the time the SEC is looking to start its channel there won't be any space left on the satellites or cable systems. Pac 12 and Big 10 will have that all locked up. No one will have any money left."

Big difference in what I said with what you commented about. SEC won't be starting any channel anytime soon.

spam firewall