Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Choice Extra Package

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:00 AM

SEC Network already has a channel of sorts. Usually picked up by local affiliates and cable systems on a per game basis. Dont see it on any of the satellite companies, but watch it on FTA satellite every weekend during college football season. Hopefully they will have baseball on it this spring...and I see they will: http://rickcaylor.we...363&postcount=2

It's available on RSNs in the sports pack. But yes, we don't normally get the games on our local RSNs.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,827 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

Oh I knew. But you didn't read what I wrote:

"By the time the SEC is looking to start its channel there won't be any space left on the satellites or cable systems. Pac 12 and Big 10 will have that all locked up. No one will have any money left."

Big difference in what I said with what you commented about. SEC won't be starting any channel anytime soon.

The SEC won't be and doesn't need to.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#103 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

The SEC won't be and doesn't need to.

Maybe that's true right now today, but the SEC is pretty weak in sports other than football, so while it has an attractive deal for football broadcasts, coverage of other sports nationwide is lacking.

#104 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,827 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

Maybe that's true right now today, but the SEC is pretty weak in sports other than football, so while it has an attractive deal for football broadcasts, coverage of other sports nationwide is lacking.

Really? UK basketball, Tennessee womens basketball, Florida basketball have a few titles. SEC baseball always has national powers. SEC track & field is a powerhouse. The SEC has 168 national titles. Weak? :rolleyes:

Yes, the Pac12/10 has won 388 titles, however 301 of those are 3 schools.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#105 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Really? UK basketball, Tennessee womens basketball, Florida basketball have a few titles. SEC baseball always has national powers. SEC track & field is a powerhouse. The SEC has 168 national titles. Weak? :rolleyes:

Yes, the SEC has 168 titles, however 109 of those are at 3 schools...

I love facts!

#106 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:58 AM

Noted on UK basketball. The rest really does not have mass appeal nationwide in my opinion. That's the key. The other thing is MOST SEC schools are located in small TV markets, which does affect things for them. Pac-12 is also in the media capital of the world, Los Angeles. Being in it's location naturally brings media scrutiny and exposure.

But it really doesn't matter though on what you or I think. It is what the viewers in the respective TV markets think, which then focuses the networks, advertisers, etc. This past year 4 of the top 6 TV rated college football games involved Pac 12 teams. That's big with the advertisers considering the TV markets controlled. This is what is driving the Pac-12 network, like it or not. But really credit Larry Scott for packaging the entire thing together and then putting the networks into a bidding war with each other.

The thing that just boggles me is HOW in the world did he get all the major cable companies to sign on up front. No one has been able to do that with any sports channel, up front. So while the Pac-12 is the beneficiary, Larry Scott is a master. Perhaps if Larry worked for the Big 10, SEC he'd get even more cash for the conference. I don't know.

We as viewers though will somehow have to pay for all of this.

I will bet you a beer that the Pac-12 will be on Directv and available for you to watch. Also I expect the regionals to be available to most Directv customers as well in a regular package. Of course, we'll see.

#107 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,827 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

I will bet you a beer that the Pac-12 will be on Directv and available for you to watch. Also I expect the regionals to be available to most Directv customers as well in a regular package. Of course, we'll see.

I hope we do get it, I just don't think the regional versions are needed until there's plenty of bandwidth available. I say this as a big University of Arizona fan that grew up and was born in Tucson.

#108 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

Most of those championships are in sports no one watches or cares about like swimming, water polo, tennis, golf, etc. For example, 33 of Stanford's 102 championships are men's & women tennis with another 16 in Swimming & diving. For UCLA, 55 of 108 are in swimming, water polo, & tennis.

We care about them every 4 years when those schools feed our Olympic programs for gold medals.

I'm biased here because in my family we have two water polo national titles from Stanford men's water polo in the last decade.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#109 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

For those who were waiting like me... It looks like the new Choice Extra is losing the following channels...

Boomerang
CBS Sports Channel
Chiller
Golf Channel
NHL Network
Sprout
Style
Tennis Channel

http://www.satellite...27&d=1328667806

Anyone thinking of moving to Choice Extra and keeping these channels better do it before the 9th!

Golf Channel was added into the new Xtra package.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#110 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

Glad to see that added back in.
thanks

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#111 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,827 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

We care about them every 4 years when those schools feed our Olympic programs for gold medals.

I'm biased here because in my family we have two water polo national titles from Stanford men's water polo in the last decade.

I'm not against any sport and particularly enjoy water polo. My word choice of "no one" was overdramatic by me. However, the audience for those collegiate sports is very very small, and when you limit it to a conference it's even smaller.

#112 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I'll edit the first post.

#113 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

You don't know who the Pac-12 thinks they are? Pac-12 controls

#2 - Los Angeles
#6 - Bay Area
#13 - Seattle
#14 - Phoenix
#18 - Denver
#23 - Portland
#36 - Salt Lake

Plus realistically #28 - San Diego, #40 - Las Vegas

What does SEC control? Really #9 - Atlanta, #29 - Nashville, #39 - Birmingham, #49 Knoxville. #52 - New Orleans, etc.

It's all about viewers and dollars. This past BCS championship ratings were the worst ever nationwide. While the SEC may play decent football, most of America really doesn't care. I know that's hard to accept, but the reality.

Let's get some facts instead of the biased slant.

SEC CFB package on CBS has been the highest rated package for the last three seasons.

2009,2010 2011.

In 2011 the CBS Package snagged a 4.2/9

vs the Highest rated ABC/ESPN package which garnered a 3.5/8

Also CBS package charges the highest ad rates for Buys.

Yes the Pac 12,BIG TEN markets have a larger population and despite that the CBS/SEC package has more viewers.

I enjoy the BigTen network myself on CFB Saturday's and am also glad to see the PAC 12 coming aboard with their own network. Love watching the shootouts late Sat/early Sun during the season.

That said make no mistake best on Field product and TV package both originate from the same Conference, SEC!

All numeric info above courtesy of SBJ.(SportsBusinessJournal)

Would post a link but it's behind a paywall.

Plenty of good football and TV product from the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12 and PAC 12.

Big Least, Not so much:)

Edited by davidatl14, 20 February 2012 - 01:05 PM.

May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#114 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

Yes, the SEC has 168 titles, however 109 of those are at 3 schools...

I love facts!

With all due respect to the also-rans, no school comes close to the athletic prowess Stanford has demonstrated for over a decade.

There's The Cardinal. And there's every other school.

-------------------------------
http://www.usatoday....p-standings.htm

Stanford, UCLA top Learfield Sports Directors' Cup standings again

By Eddie Timanus, USA TODAY

For the second year in a row and the fifth time in the 14-year history of the Learfield Sports Directors' Cup competition, Stanford and UCLA lead the final standings for NCAA Division I. The Pacific-10 Conference, of which UCLA and Stanford are members, landed three schools in the top five for the third time. The final member of the Pac-10 trio is No. 5 Southern California, which claimed its highest finish ever. Stanford is Cup champion for the 13th consecutive year. Rounding out the top five are North Carolina (third) and Michigan (fourth).
-------------------------------

-------------------------
http://en.wikipedia...._Directors'_Cup

NACDA Directors' Cup

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The NACDA Learfield Sports Directors' Cup is an award given annually by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics to the colleges and universities with the most success in collegiate athletics. Points for the NACDA Directors' Cup are based on order of finish in various National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) sponsored championships or, in the case of Division I Football, media-based polls. The award originated in 1993, and was presented to NCAA Division I schools only. In 1995 it was extended to Division II, Division III, and National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) schools as well, each division receiving its own award.

The University of North Carolina won the award for best Division I collegiate athletics program in its inaugural year. Since then, Stanford University has won it seventeen straight years, winning seventeen out of the eighteen years it has been offered. Williams College has similarly dominated Division III, having won the award thirteen times.

-------------------------
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#115 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

No one here really disputes what you write.

The dialogue has come largely from some who are disgusted with the fact that the Pac-12 will likely be crossing their TV screens soon.

Let's get some facts instead of the biased slant.
SEC CFB package on CBS has been the highest rated package for the last three seasons.
2009,2010 2011.
In 2011 the CBS Package snagged a 4.2/9
vs the Highest rated ABC/ESPN package which garnered a 3.5/8
Also CBS package charges the highest ad rates for Buys.
Yes the Pac 12,BIG TEN markets have a larger population and despite that the CBS/SEC package has more viewers.
I enjoy the BigTen network myself on CFB Saturday's and am also glad to see the PAC 12 coming aboard with their own network. Love watching the shootouts late Sat/early Sun during the season.
That said make no mistake best on Field product and TV package both originate from the same Conference, SEC!
All numeric info above courtesy of SBJ.(SportsBusinessJournal)
Would post a link but it's behind a paywall.
Plenty of good football and TV product from the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12 and PAC 12.
Big Least, Not so much:)

#116 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

No one here really disputes what you write.

The dialogue has come largely from some who are disgusted with the fact that the Pac-12 will likely be crossing their TV screens soon.

I'm an alum of a SEC school and a diehard fan but speaking only for myself, I'm glad to see the PAC 12 start their own network.

Looking forward to seeing it when it goes live.

Tip of the Cap to Scott for getting the Cable deals already in place hopefully the deal with DirecTV will come off without a hitch.

Guess it goes without saying that DISH will be a non entity in this pursuit.
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#117 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:14 AM

I'm very happy with all comers in the collegiate space... SEC football is a given here (as I've lived in the South for more than 15 years), but I went to a B1G school (Go Purdue!) and grew up with Indiana's state religion (nothing like old-style Indiana high school basketball!), so I enjoy the Big Ten Network, and my son goes to Southern Cal (Fight On!), so I am a PAC 12 fan to boot.

I'm looking forward to the new P12 nets myself... I just hope the cost is not out of the ballpark...

BTW -- CSS is Comcrap/Charter's regional cable net in Georgia, Alabama and parts of Tennessee. Most of the SEC Network games for me come in on WPCH here in Atlanta. Some show up on FSN South/SportSouth. Once in awhile (and that's not very often at all), we get them from other RSNs.
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#118 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:44 AM

I'm very happy with all comers in the collegiate space... SEC football is a given here (as I've lived in the South for more than 15 years), but I went to a B1G school (Go Purdue!) and grew up with Indiana's state religion (nothing like old-style Indiana high school basketball!), so I enjoy the Big Ten Network, and my son goes to Southern Cal (Fight On!), so I am a PAC 12 fan to boot.

I'm looking forward to the new P12 nets myself... I just hope the cost is not out of the ballpark...

BTW -- CSS is Comcrap/Charter's regional cable net in Georgia, Alabama and parts of Tennessee. Most of the SEC Network games for me come in on WPCH here in Atlanta. Some show up on FSN South/SportSouth. Once in awhile (and that's not very often at all), we get them from other RSNs.

Places in Florida get CSS also. The only college sport I care anything about is basketball.

#119 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

Agreed, I love all these specialized channels. Especially the proposed implementation of the PAC-12 nets.

Oh, and your son chose a great school. The trojan family runs deep ;)

#120 OFFLINE   BJM

BJM

Godfather

• Registered
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

(back to thread) I have Choice Xtra + HD-DVR, every time I think about changing it it seems to me that D* is not dumb, I'm not going to save any money to keep the channels I want, so I leave it alone. If I choose a different Choice package, I lose the 'tier' of NBA/Golf/MLB/WGN HD which I do care about (mostly for NBA and occasionally golf).

(back to derailed thread) Seems to me that the Pac-12 will follow the BTN model. And don't forget that there is an East Coast bias in sports - newspapers, because of print deadlines, don't carry results of "late" games (7PM PT = 10PM ET and later). You remember what newspapers are right? Those things printed on inky paper, used to come to your doorstep, have news in them? And only diehards will stay up late to watch sports after midnight on the East Coast... which is NOT most folks.
THR-22 (3/2012 - DirecTiVo) | 720p Pillar Box
HDMI to Panasonic 32" LCD | No OTA
Network: Mac OS 10.7.3 <-> Belkin router <-> WGA600N wireless adapter
Live TV rarely, trickplay often (esp. 30sec slip) | ~ 30 shows in Season Pass
DirecTV since 12/2004
[previous HR20-700 12/2006-3/2012]
[retired: TiVo Series 1 (!), 150+ hrs., 1/2000-1/2007]
Sacramento/Stockton/Modesto DMA

spam firewall