Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Choice Extra Package

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   sppunk

sppunk

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

Can anyone tell me the difference between the "new" Choice (not Extra) and the old Choice Extra that's now Choice Extra Classic?

I can't use the directv site on the iPad well enough to tell what channels I'd lose by dropping down.

FWIW I have HD DVR and whole home ... thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,915 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

Keep in mind you can't go to choice xtra classic, it's not a current package.

#123 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

Sorry to bring this back up but to the guy(s) that kept bringing up how popular the Pac-12 conference is here is the breakdown of viewership from football and basketball in 2011:
http://frankthetank....ial-media-buzz/

Here are the average football viewership totals by conference according to Nielsen:1. SEC – 4,447,000
2. Big Ten – 3,267,000
3. ACC – 2,650,000
4. Big 12 – 2,347,000
5. Pac-12 – 2,108,000
6. Big East – 1,884,000
Here are the average basketball viewership totals by conference according to Nielsen:1. Big Ten – 1,496,000
2. ACC – 1,247,000
3. SEC – 1,222,000
4. Big 12 – 1,069,000
5. Big East – 1,049,000
6. Pac-12 – 783,000

C. Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott can sell ice cubs to Eskimos – The viewership numbers for the Pac-12 in both football and basketball indicate that they shouldn’t be in the vicinity of the ACC and Big 12 TV contracts, much less currently above the Big Ten and SEC. The football numbers might be a little lower compared to a normal season with USC having the scarlet letter of not being able to go to a bowl this year, but one would think that some of that would have been countered by strong Stanford and Oregon teams. Meanwhile, the basketball numbers are just awful – the Pac-12 definitely needs UCLA to resuscitate itself to be viable nationally. The Pac-12 presidents ought to give Larry Scott a lifetime contract with the TV dollars that he’s pulled from ESPN and Fox.

Go Big Red!!!

#124 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:04 AM

It's not so much the total number of viewers, but instead WHO those viewers are. Look at what that chart says - 3 of 4 viewers are over 35 and part of some financially secure status. This means that those advertisers have a viewer that is financial secure and can buy toys and nice things. Contrast that with the 18-25 crowd that is saddled with debt, etc.

Also consider this - the Pac 12 does trail, but if you consider WHY that is. Games are often played later and don't always get national coverage due to the time zone issues. So if it can pull down these numbers with access to really just 1/3 of the country having regular, consistent access: (a) a time they can watch the game, and (B) have it on TV in their market you may see a dramatic increase in viewership and numbers.

This is exactly what Larry Scott is doing - shaking up the conference. You will still see a Saturday late night game - because that game will be on ESPN in the coming season, which gives it nationwide billing. But you will see games at other novel times as well to get exposure. Scott has brought Friday night games into the mix. Don't be surprised to see Saturday morning games (mid-day across nation, but 9am on the west coast), Sunday games in the future. It's all about maximizing exposure.

Pac-12 basketball also suffers because the games are played at night and back east you can't stay up to watch the games - if those local channels back east even carry the games at all.

Also, where the media capital of the world? Los Angeles is the #1 TV market for college football. Pac-12 is right on he heart of it.

Pac-12 network gives the Pac-12 all the exposure it needs. Now the Pac-12 has to put a consistent product on the field....

Call it what you want, but it's not total viewers that pay the bills.....it is the total viewers with cash to buy the advertisers products. BIG difference.

Sorry to bring this back up but to the guy(s) that kept bringing up how popular the Pac-12 conference is here is the breakdown of viewership from football and basketball in 2011:
http://frankthetank....ial-media-buzz/

#125 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

It's not so much the total number of viewers, but instead WHO those viewers are. Look at what that chart says - 3 of 4 viewers are over 35 and part of some financially secure status. This means that those advertisers have a viewer that is financial secure and can buy toys and nice things. Contrast that with the 18-25 crowd that is saddled with debt, etc.

Also consider this - the Pac 12 does trail, but if you consider WHY that is. Games are often played later and don't always get national coverage due to the time zone issues. So if it can pull down these numbers with access to really just 1/3 of the country having regular, consistent access: (a) a time they can watch the game, and (B) have it on TV in their market you may see a dramatic increase in viewership and numbers.

This is exactly what Larry Scott is doing - shaking up the conference. You will still see a Saturday late night game - because that game will be on ESPN in the coming season, which gives it nationwide billing. But you will see games at other novel times as well to get exposure. Scott has brought Friday night games into the mix. Don't be surprised to see Saturday morning games (mid-day across nation, but 9am on the west coast), Sunday games in the future. It's all about maximizing exposure.

Pac-12 basketball also suffers because the games are played at night and back east you can't stay up to watch the games - if those local channels back east even carry the games at all.

Also, where the media capital of the world? Los Angeles is the #1 TV market for college football. Pac-12 is right on he heart of it.

Pac-12 network gives the Pac-12 all the exposure it needs. Now the Pac-12 has to put a consistent product on the field....

Call it what you want, but it's not total viewers that pay the bills.....it is the total viewers with cash to buy the advertisers products. BIG difference.

Of course, I should have known you would spin it some way. :)
Go Big Red!!!

#126 OFFLINE   sppunk

sppunk

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

Keep in mind you can't go to choice xtra classic, it's not a current package.

Right, I'm aware. I currently have Xtra Classic, but want to see what I'd lose by dropping to Choice.

#127 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

I have Choice Xtra Classic with HD & HD Extra Pack.

I want to drop the HD Extra Pack, but Direct TV is telling me I have to change my package to Choice Extra, losing some of my current channels, in order to do this. (I am NOT going up, only budget so much a month for TV)

I don`t see where dropping HD Extra has anything to do with my current, grandfathered package.

Anyone else have to do the same thing if they drop HBO, etc?

#128 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

I have Choice Xtra Classic with HD & HD Extra Pack.

I want to drop the HD Extra Pack, but Direct TV is telling me I have to change my package to Choice Extra, losing some of my current channels, in order to do this. (I am NOT going up, only budget so much a month for TV)

I don`t see where dropping HD Extra has anything to do with my current, grandfathered package.

Anyone else have to do the same thing if they drop HBO, etc?

Are you trying to do it online? If so, you'll have to call in. For some reason they never fixed up the online system to process things for people with grandfathered packages. If you did call in, then it sounds like you got a misinformed csr. I've added and dropped many packages over the last 8 years or so I've had a grandfathered package (including the HD Extra pack). As long as you call in, they should be able to do it for you.

#129 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

Are you trying to do it online? If so, you'll have to call in. For some reason they never fixed up the online system to process things for people with grandfathered packages. If you did call in, then it sounds like you got a misinformed csr. I've added and dropped many packages over the last 8 years or so I've had a grandfathered package (including the HD Extra pack). As long as you call in, they should be able to do it for you.

Thanks for the response. I tried online first, then tried on the phone with the same response. Certainly is possible the CSR is misinformed, won`t be the first time. Will try again when I return home next week.

#130 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 547 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

+1.

Glad to see the PAC 12 get their own network, also glad to see Larry Scott on the College Athletics scene.He's a huge net Plus for College Athletics.

That said though the PAC 12 viewership for either CFB or CBB pales in comparison to the SEC, always has, will continue to pale in the future also. Even after said network gets off the ground.

Edited by davidatl14, 01 March 2012 - 04:30 PM.

May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#131 OFFLINE   RUBE

RUBE

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

Just called in to drop the HD extra pk.(My 3 months was up). I have the Choice Extra Classic. Nothing else was changed. 20 seconds later the guy said I can give you HD x pK for free for 3 months.

#132 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

You can call it whatever you want. It's marketing 101. It's not the total number of viewers, it is the viewers that will purchase the product you are trying to sell.

And fact remains that out west the Pac 12 dominates; that's why the channel is available out west on the major cable systems. Whether Directv carries it nationwide or out west, the fixed cost is already needing to happen (i.e. the bandwidth). If the price is low enough to carry nationwide it will happen. The only question is whether the added variable costs (cost to carry the channel nationwide) are less than the addition of new revenue (from customers who subscribe to Directv on the east costs simply because this channel is on Directv and not the competing cable company). Again marketing 101.

If the Pac 12 can get this market share when the games don't even show on the east coast, imagine what the viewership can be if they are shown on the east coast.

Good day.

Edited by WebTraveler, 01 March 2012 - 09:54 PM.

#133 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,915 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

Right, I'm aware. I currently have Xtra Classic, but want to see what I'd lose by dropping to Choice.

You can go to the page to change your package and compare. You just can't go back once you change.

#134 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 547 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

You can call it whatever you want. It's marketing 101. It's not the total number of viewers, it is the viewers that will purchase the product you are trying to sell.

And fact remains that out west the Pac 12 dominates; that's why the channel is available out west on the major cable systems. Whether Directv carries it nationwide or out west, the fixed cost is already needing to happen (i.e. the bandwidth). If the price is low enough to carry nationwide it will happen. The only question is whether the added variable costs (cost to carry the channel nationwide) are less than the addition of new revenue (from customers who subscribe to Directv on the east costs simply because this channel is on Directv and not the competing cable company). Again marketing 101.

If the Pac 12 can get this market share when the games don't even show on the east coast, imagine what the viewership can be if they are shown on the east coast.

Good day.

More Left coast spin.

The Pac 12 games are shown now on the East Coast.

They(Pac 12) will never have the eyeballs the SEC or Big Ten for that matter do.

Also ad rates charged are higher for the SEC and Big Ten, so despite your spin about the customer base, the SEC and other BCS Conferences have more eyeballs, higher ad rates charged, more buying power and just as affluent viewers as the Pac 12 .

Bottom Line:

College Football is far more important to far more people in the South and Mid west than it is in the PAC 12 viewing areas.

No amount of Larry Scott brilliance is going to change those demographics.

Larry Scott is very good for College athletics, I'm glad to see the PAC 12 start their own network, I hope it's wildly successful. I welcome more shots and time slots to view Pac 12 football. It's a top notch conference.

Still though, they will never have the TV audience,fan base or unbridled passion, National acclaim or talent base that is present in the SEC.

In closing and trying to move it to a TV discussion versus CFB,

I do hope DirecTV does have the PAC 12 Network and all the sub nets made available from Day 1 as part of the Sports Pack ASAP. Looking forward to the network going live.

Edited by davidatl14, 02 March 2012 - 07:45 AM.

May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#135 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

Many Pac 12 games are NOT shown on the east coast. It's gotten better, but not all. When ABC does it's regional telecasts it Pac-12 does not always get to the east coast. The Fox RSNs don't usually carry the Pac-12 games Pac-12 carries if there is a regional matchup in their territory that that they have rights to.

This is not a competition between SEC and Pac-12. The SEC has it's viewers and that's great. The Pac-12 has it's viewers. I am not clear why some here feel the need to somehow make it an argument between the two conferences because it has nothing to do with that. This has to do with the Pac-12 maximizing it's revenues and being innovative and secure the best deal for itself.

Big 10 and Pac 12 are cutting all sorts of deals. Starting next year (2017 for football due to existing contracts) there will be regular season games between the conference. These will be competitive games with good opponents. That means that a Big 10 team like Ohio State will come to Corvallis, Oregon, etc. That's a big deal and a big game. A game a competitive team will hate to play because it might lose. And these games increase conference rivalries and attract viewers. This is what sports is all about.

The Big 10 and Pac 12 are looking to cut the middle man out of the bowl games and do their own bowl games as well. That's a big deal and means more revenue to both conferences rather than the bowls.

More Left coast spin.

The Pac 12 games are shown now on the East Coast.

They(Pac 12) will never have the eyeballs the SEC or Big Ten for that matter do.

Also ad rates charged are higher for the SEC and Big Ten so despite your spin about the customer base, the SEC and other BCS Conferences have more eyeballs, higher ad rates charged, more buying power and just as affluent viewers as the Pac 12 .

Bottom Line:

College Football is far more important to far more people in the South and Mid west than it is in the PAC 12 viewing areas.

No amount of Larry Scott brilliance is going to change those demographics.

In closing Larry Scott is very good for College athletics, I'm glad to see the PAC 12 start their own network, I hope it's wildly successful. I welcome more shots and time slots to view Pac 12 football. It's a top notch conference.

Still though, they will never have the TV audience,fan base or unbridled passion, National acclaim or talent base that is present in the SEC.

I do hope DirecTV does have them as part of the Sports Pack ASAP. Looking forward to the network going live.

#136 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

Many Pac 12 games are NOT shown on the east coast. It's gotten better, but not all. When ABC does it's regional telecasts it Pac-12 does not always get to the east coast. The Fox RSNs don't usually carry the Pac-12 games Pac-12 carries if there is a regional matchup in their territory that that they have rights to.

This is not a competition between SEC and Pac-12. The SEC has it's viewers and that's great. The Pac-12 has it's viewers. I am not clear why some here feel the need to somehow make it an argument between the two conferences because it has nothing to do with that. This has to do with the Pac-12 maximizing it's revenues and being innovative and secure the best deal for itself.

Big 10 and Pac 12 are cutting all sorts of deals. Starting next year (2017 for football due to existing contracts) there will be regular season games between the conference. These will be competitive games with good opponents. That means that a Big 10 team like Ohio State will come to Corvallis, Oregon, etc. That's a big deal and a big game. A game a competitive team will hate to play because it might lose. And these games increase conference rivalries and attract viewers. This is what sports is all about.

The Big 10 and Pac 12 are looking to cut the middle man out of the bowl games and do their own bowl games as well. That's a big deal and means more revenue to both conferences rather than the bowls.

It probably started in one of two ways: "This channel is a MUST because its the PAC-12 and we are awesome in everything we do" or "Who cares about this channel?! The PAC-12 sucks. SEC is all that matters because it rules." And then it goes on from there. As I stated many posts ago, I do not want this or any other conference or school specific channels available anywhere but it's own college sports tier. I know it won't happen but I can wish. If they had put the 4 pro sport specific channels into a tier of its own, I would have bought it. It isn't that big of a deal.

I think someone needs to look into these conference channels personally. For years the universities and the NCAA have not paid players and hidden behind the "they get a free education" excuse. It's gonna get a whole lot harder to argue that with these channels making conferences money hand over fist and doing so on the backs of those players and not paying them. Before you could always say ESPN isn't owned by us, they are a sports news organization, only some of our games air there, etc. It would be very difficult for Ohio State to make that same argument with the Big Ten Network or even worse Texas's own school channel. And for the record, I was never for paying players before because I understood the free education thing. However, as these networks and all move towards more specific conference and school focused they really are making money off the athletes themselves and for the most part couldn't survive without them.

Edited by zimm7778, 02 March 2012 - 01:38 PM.

#137 OFFLINE   akw4572

akw4572

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

Am I correct in seeing on the DTV website, I don't have FSN CIN now that I'm in the Choice Xtra, instead of Choice Ultimate?
HR 22-100 Vizio 42" 1080P
HR 22-100 Vizio 26" 720P

#138 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

Did you have it prior?

#139 OFFLINE   akw4572

akw4572

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

Did you have it prior?

Yes, I had the channel prior to the "switch".
HR 22-100 Vizio 42" 1080P
HR 22-100 Vizio 26" 720P

#140 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,915 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

Does it actually work? The website has gotten better, but still some channels incorrectly listed as not available. I have choice xtra classic and it says I don't get it either, along with some others.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...