Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

House Officially Done After 8 Seasons

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,327 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

It's been hinted at before but now it's official.

http://insidetv.ew.c...lled/?hpt=hp_t3

Looks like Hugh Laurie is going to retire too:

In November, star Hugh Laurie said he expects to retire from TV acting once the show goes off the air.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,760 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

We never missed an episode and the show will be missed. With that said, it is probably a good time to end it and one can't help but wish Hugh Laurie a good retirement from weekly American TV. My guess is, however, we'll see him in movies and maybe some of those Brit mini-series.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 16,327 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

I've loved the show from the beginning but I think they should have ended it last year. This year with Foreman in charge has been painful to watch.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   mattgwyther

mattgwyther

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

I just hope the give the show a proper finale,
I WANT MY PAC-12 Network & PAC-12 Mountain Network!!

#5 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

The rumor is, he wants to start over with a singing carreer.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,760 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

Heck, he already has a start on that:

Posted Image

From the Amazon review:

A glorious celebration of New Orleans blues, 'Let Them Talk' unites Laurie's musical talent with a very personal selection of standards and lost blues classics performed with his band of renowned musicians and some very special guest stars.

It's an enjoyable album.

And he's still one of the funniest comedians.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#7 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 16,327 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

It's an enjoyable album.

He's also been in "Band From TV" for a few years now. It's a band made up of TV stars like Hugh, Greg Grunberg and others.

http://www.bandfromtv.org/
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

He certainly is multi-talented, quite the piano player. Based on this weeks episode and that they are pulling the plug, it will end the way they want. Always better for a show to end on it's own terms when given a chance. Some hold on too long, I think its a good time for House to end.

#9 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,280 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:34 AM

Mrs. Fluffybear and I have been a fan of Hugh Laurie's for many years and while we did not take to House right away, we have seen every episode at least once and will miss the show.
Thank You Mr. Laurie for entertaining this household for many great years and we wish you luck in your retirement.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q2 2015 Set-Up

#10 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, CA - near San Jose

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

They should resurrect Black Adder!

#11 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,280 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:33 AM

No objections here!

My Q2 2015 Set-Up

#12 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

I have to say this year hasn't been very good and the show has become IMO a set formula of scripts that just get recycled with new names for the patient and disease.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#13 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,760 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

It seems to me like this year they've focused almost everything on House - each episode creates a personal character dilemma for him challenging his belief structure to its core, making him question himself, which impacts on the others around him. It's like they anticipated it being a final season. How they are going to wrap up this final season will be interesting.

My AV Setup

#14 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,610 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

I've loved the show from the beginning but I think they should have ended it last year. This year with Foreman in charge has been painful to watch.

They been running out of good ideas for awhile now.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-700, Bsm: HR24-100, Den HR24-200, MB: HR24-500, Kit: H25-500
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#15 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

The rumor is, he wants to start over with a singing carreer.

Yeah, that was poorly worded, and not really what I meant to say at all. He has had a singing career, kinda in the background, for quite a while. What he was reportedly saying is, he wants to move acting into the background and concentrate on his singing instead--not that he wants to start over, but change his priorities.

I agree that he is such a good comic actor, he will be missed unless he continues doing that, at least on the side.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

A-freakin'-men, brother! One of the best skit shows of all time.

.... "I have a cunning plan...."
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#17 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,280 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:58 AM

It's like they anticipated it being a final season. How they are going to wrap up this final season will be interesting.

I'm sure this decision was made long ago but Producers did not want to announce it right away fearing it might turn viewers away.

While there is plenty of different ways to end this show, my feeling is there only one way to end it. House solves yet another case and goes on with this life just as it was another day. Having him lose his medical license, get fired/resign, or go back to jail/rehab would be a cop out in my opinion as we have been there and done that MANY times already.

My Q2 2015 Set-Up

#18 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,430 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:16 AM

Saw it coming last year after Cutty's contract not renewed...but disappointed to see this one end. Probably the most steady show at a high level since inception. IRP House MD.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#19 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,760 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

:grin: Apparently Hugh Laurie was not quite pleased with a press report about why the show ended according to a statement of Laurie's in TV Guide:

Some newspapers, obviously dissatisfied by the statement we released last week, have suggested that "the truth" — a modern journalistic shorthand for "not even remotely the truth but it's creepy enough so let's go with it" — behind our joint decision was that I was sick of going to work. The evidence for this was a remark I made five years ago about a different subject.

Let me say unequivocally that I love my job, and work harder at it than most journalists work at theirs. As we explained in our press release, we were trying to preserve some of the character's mystique; we never wanted to over-stay our welcome. Very possibly, we could have continued with a re-worked formula — House gets a job in a shoe shop and high jinks ensue — but none of us could face that. We wanted to keep the band together and go out with as much dignity as we could muster.

I realize that plan is looking a little scruffy now, thanks to this petty rebuttal, but what the heck. I had to put the record straight.

And according to BizWire:

...The real culprit in the show’s demise was economics, particularly involving Fox and Universal based on another report particularly involving Fox and Universal.

The story reported: “The network wasn't looking to let go of ‘House,’ which averages a 3.5 rating among adults 18-49 and 9.1 million viewers -- good numbers for a drama in its eighth season. Universal TV, the studio behind ‘House,’ was also anxious to keep producing the show, which adds millions of dollars to NBCUniversal's bottom line. ‘Universal was the lead horse, the one driving a renewal,’ one source says. ‘It had the most desire and ambition to do another season.’"

The report adds: “Fox, which currently spends $5 million an episode for ‘House,’ wanted to see a cut in the show's license fee before considering a renewal. And although Universal was willing to take back some costs, it wasn't as large a discount as Fox wanted. Insiders also say Universal was pursuing a 22-episode order, while Fox would only commit to a final 13-episode season. ‘Universal came off as aggressive,’ one exec says. ‘It was such a big gap that [Fox] didn't pursue the discussions.’ Universal insiders say the studio was surprised by the decision and had been willing to work out a compromise.”

Edited by phrelin, 16 February 2012 - 03:59 PM.

My AV Setup

#20 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

It's been hinted at before but now it's official.

http://insidetv.ew.c...lled/?hpt=hp_t3

Looks like Hugh Laurie is going to retire too:

I liked House on HULU. Too bad.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#21 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 696 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

Noticed tonight, as House was opening the Citizenship and Immigration Services letter to Dominika, that it was addressed to:
221 Baker Street, Apt. B

Edited by makaiguy, 16 April 2012 - 08:48 PM.
fix typo

DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#22 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,271 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:02 AM

Noticed tonight, as House was opening the Citizenship and Immigration Services letter to Dominika, that it was addressed to:
221 Baker Street, Apt. B

221B has been on his apt. door in several episodes. Very clever (or obvious) homage.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...