Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

722K acts like it only has one tuner - Huh?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SergeantPinback

SergeantPinback

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:35 AM

I'm having a strange problem with a 722K and was wondering if anyone else has experienced it.

Twice this week, I've missed shows because it appears that the DVR acted as if it only had one tuner instead of two. I had two shows set to start at the same time and only the one with the higher priority actually recorded. On the menu, it showed that the second show was recording, but on the menu that shows the shows that are recorded, it wasn't there. Then just this morning I had two shows that overlapped eachother and the first one recorded but the second one did not start recording until the first one finished - again, as if only one tuner was working. So I only got the last half of the second show.

I've called DISH to have a record of the problem but they don't know anything, of course. The solution is to reset the DVR which seems to fix everything, but certainly doesn't stop it from happening again. The fact that this has just started happening after having no problems with the DVR for a year indicates to me that the DVR is probably going bad and I'll be getting another replacement soon. Why anyone would buy these things is beyond me - if they last a year, you're lucky.

So, just wondering if anyone else has seen this and if anyone might know what it is - Hardware, software, loss of signal? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:54 AM

Next time you have 2 timers scheduled, use the PIP function to see what's 'recording' on the second timer. In.fact, this is a good way to see if your 2nd tuner is working. I used to have dropouts on tuner 2 frequently and would lose recordings.

Keep track of when this happens so as to present a coherent case to DISH.

#3 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

Are these new timers you setup or reoccurring timers? Do you have a second TV connected to your 722k receiver? This issue is not a known issue for this receiver and I haven't heard of this issue from other customers. Please let me know if this continues to happen. Thanks.

I'm having a strange problem with a 722K and was wondering if anyone else has experienced it.

Twice this week, I've missed shows because it appears that the DVR acted as if it only had one tuner instead of two. I had two shows set to start at the same time and only the one with the higher priority actually recorded. On the menu, it showed that the second show was recording, but on the menu that shows the shows that are recorded, it wasn't there. Then just this morning I had two shows that overlapped eachother and the first one recorded but the second one did not start recording until the first one finished - again, as if only one tuner was working. So I only got the last half of the second show.

I've called DISH to have a record of the problem but they don't know anything, of course. The solution is to reset the DVR which seems to fix everything, but certainly doesn't stop it from happening again. The fact that this has just started happening after having no problems with the DVR for a year indicates to me that the DVR is probably going bad and I'll be getting another replacement soon. Why anyone would buy these things is beyond me - if they last a year, you're lucky.

So, just wondering if anyone else has seen this and if anyone might know what it is - Hardware, software, loss of signal? Thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   SergeantPinback

SergeantPinback

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

Are these new timers you setup or reoccurring timers? Do you have a second TV connected to your 722k receiver? This issue is not a known issue for this receiver and I haven't heard of this issue from other customers. Please let me know if this continues to happen. Thanks.

I only have one television connected to the DVR and yes, they were reoccuring timers. A week ago, it was a 'mon-fri' timer for Jeopardy on ABC and a 'weekly' timer for Top Chef on Bravo - both starting at 7:00 pm. Jeopardy recorded and Top Chef did not. Then last night, I had a 'daily' timer for Craig Ferguson on CBS at 12:35 am and a 'new episode' timer for Jimmy Kimmel on ABC at 12:00 am. When I checked my recordings I noticed that Kimmel was an hour long and Ferguson was only a half hour. Checking the 'daily schedule' screen I saw that the recording for Ferguson didn't start until just after 1:00 am. So, instead of the programs overlapping for 30 minutes, as should have happened with two tuners, the program for Ferguson waited to start until the program for Kimmel ended, so I only got the last half of Ferguson.

Resetting will solve the problem and put things right, until the next time it decides to do it again. And there is the real problem, as there is no way of knowing if the DVR is having a problem and needs to be reset until you miss a show.

Thanks for your time.

#5 OFFLINE   SergeantPinback

SergeantPinback

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:57 AM

Welp, a replacement DVR is on it's way. I should be good for 6 to 12 months.

Whatever you do, don't ever buy one of these - just lease it.

#6 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:14 AM

I have had the same 722 for 3 1/2 years with no issues, I would think that there is something else going on if you are going through receivers every 6-12 months.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...