Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1280 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

Just as most mobile phone providers have figured out, its as important to renew a good customers contract, as it is to get a new customer. So most handset deals are very similar for a new and renewing customers now. And they get getting you committed to a new 2 year agreement. So I don't know why DIRECTV makes some subscribers beg for it, but I'm glad with some effort they will usually see the light.
HR34-700, HR22-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   jtb50

jtb50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

I have the mvr with 2 hddvr's. Would it be worth getting the HR-34?

#183 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

:rolleyes: I know that Solid Signal is a good company and there are lots of people who have DTV that buy receivers from them. With all the bs coming from csr's about the HR-34 and DTV refusing to give every customer a rebate and good deal now would be a good time for some of the third party companies that carry the 34 to step up and give ALL DTV customers some kind of rebate and a good price. Just a thought.

I seriously doubt that Solid Signal is making $300 profit on the HR34, so it's not their responsibility to be providing rebates. :nono2:

I'm frankly puzzled why DirecTV is providing anybody with a large discount on the HR34, unless 1) they have a huge supply; and 2) it is very strategic. :confused:

It also seems (IMHO) premature, since until a RVU client is available, the HR34 will frequently exceed the 8 tuners available in existing installations, and (if currently a SWiM LNB) require LNB replacement, new wiring, and a SWiM-16... all installer-intensive.

#184 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

I am entitled to the same price others with my longevity get, nothing more and nothing less.

Yeah, but people with longevity don't get special pricing since they're already a customer. Calling and demanding, or threatening to quit because you can't get, new customer pricing is crazy.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#185 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:04 AM

Yeah, but people with longevity don't get special pricing since they're already a customer. Calling and demanding, or threatening to quit because you can't get, new customer pricing is crazy.

I have to agree with your second sentence. It is crazy subscribers have to do that. If its a good customer, they should just match the new customer deal to get someone to sign a new 2 yr commitment. They end up trying to get you back with basically new customer offers, once you leave. So why not just keep the customer?
HR34-700, HR22-100

#186 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,134 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

I have the mvr with 2 hddvr's. Would it be worth getting the HR-34?

If you went from two DVRs to one DVR and a receiver, you'd only have one todo list to manage. But you also have a single failure point.

Myself, I had two DVRs on on tv, and an h25 upstairs. I now have one hr34 and the h25.

#187 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

I ordered my new HMC HR34 first thing this past Thursday morning at 8:00 AM. It's now officially available to all existing D* customers nationwide instead of only being available for new customers as it was with the initial launch. As stated many times in this thread, your initial D* CSR will try to charge you the full $399 retail price and tell you that no discounts are available because the equipment is too new. This is absolutely false and I've attached proof below from the confirmation e-mail D* sent me for my equipment order. I simply asked for the cancellation department and they took great care of me after very little resistance letting me have the HR34 for only $99 with free installation. The woman in customer retention even got me an accelerated installation date and they are coming today between 12:00 PM - 4:00 PM! One thing about D* is they do value their customers and even though I've been frustrated a few times, in the end I've always been taken care of with credits on my account, free select premium channels for 3 - 6 months, etc. I've been with D* since 1997 and have been an NFL Sunday Ticket subscriber since 2002. Now perhaps my customer history had a lot to do with the discounts I get, but take a look at a copy of my monthly statement below to see just how much I save after simply asking D* for credits. I'm going to have them hook up the HR34 today and run the standard installation and then I'm going to record one program on the internal hard drive (this is so that if my external hard drive ever fails and I need to revert back to the internal one I will be able to tell that the internal hard drive has booted back up). Then I'm going to power down my HR34 and unplug it, and then install my 2TB WD20EARX hard drive into my Antec MX-1 enclosure. Then I'll boot up the external hard drive, plug it into my new HR34, and then power back up the HR34. I have 3 other HR22 HD DVR's so after today's install I will have 3 HD DVR's and the HR34 for a total of 11 different simultaneous recording feeds and 3.5TB of total recording space after I add the 2TB external hard drive to my HR34. That's 2,800 hours of SD recording space or 700 hours of HD recording space... or 5,600 30 minute SD shows or 1,400 30 minute HD shows. I am locked and loaded! So remember... PERSISTENCE WEAKENS RESISTANCE.

Here is the proof of the discounted price:

YOUR EQUIPMENT SELECTION

1 DIRECTV® HMC HD DVR $399.00

1 Sales Order Credit -$300.00
Equipment Total $99.00

ADDITIONAL

Installation Fee $0.00
Delivery & Handling Fee $0.00
Tax $8.17
Order Total Paid* $107.17

Here's an example of a copy of my statement including the NFL Sunday Ticket charges as well as the credits I get every month:

Current Charges for Service Period 11/25/11 - 12/24/11

11/25 12/24 PREMIER Monthly 114.99
10/22 01/21 DIRECTV HD EXTRA PACK 3 Months Free 0.00
11/25 12/24 HD Access Monthly 10.00
08/01 03/31 NFL SUNDAY TICKET To-Go 2011 Special Free Offer 0.00
11/01 11/30 NFL SUNDAY TICKET 2011 Early Renewal in 6 Payments 53.99
07/26 08/25 NFL To-Go/SuperFan Will Not AutoRenew Next Season 0.00
11/25 12/24 DIRECTV DVR Service Monthly 7.00
11/25 12/24 DIRECTV CINEMA Tune to Ch. 1000 for more info 0.00
11/25 12/24 DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR Service Monthly 3.00

Fees

11/26 Leased Receiver 6.00
11/26 Leased Receiver 6.00
11/26 Primary Leased Receiver 6.00

Adjustments & Credits

11/25 12/24 HD Access 24 Months Free HD Access -10.00 Credit
11/01 11/30 NFL SUNDAY TICKET 2011 You Save $20 for 6 Mos -20.00 Credit
11/25 12/24 PREMIER Save on HBO for 6 Mos -5.00 Credit
11/25 12/24 PREMIER Save on MAX for 6 Months -5.00 Credit
11/25 12/24 PREMIER Save $5/6 Mos on STARZ -5.00 Credit
11/25 12/24 PREMIER Save $5/6 Mos on SHOWTIME -5.00 Credit
11/25 12/24 PREMIER $10 Off SPORTS for 6 Mos -10.00 Credit
11/25 12/24 PREMIER You Save $10 for 12 Mos -10.00 Credit
11/25 12/24 PREMIER You Save $5 for 3 Mos -5.00 Credit
11/25 12/24 PREMIER 6 Mos Value Discount -5.00 Credit
11/26 Primary Leased Receiver -6.00 Credit

Taxes

Sales Tax 7.82

AMOUNT DUE $128.80

So as you can see... you'll be surprised by what you can get if you simply just ask for it and remain persistent!

Edited by Bartman94, 11 February 2012 - 10:25 AM.

#188 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:20 AM

Who said I ever threatened to quit. I obviously have a serious, long-term commitment (and am addicted to NFL-ST).

Existing customers have just called and received the $300 off deal, no threats, no retention. With that knowledge, I am entitled to the same consideration. Blame DBSTalk for exposing this mess.

#189 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

I have to agree with your second sentence. It is crazy subscribers have to do that. If its a good customer, they should just match the new customer deal to get someone to sign a new 2 yr commitment. They end up trying to get you back with basically new customer offers, once you leave. So why not just keep the customer?

But why? There's no price protection with DirecTV. When you commit to 2 years you do just that, commit. You know what you're in for and if you don't like it why commit for 2 years in the first place? Why would you expect to be treated as a new customer when you are in fact not a new customer?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#190 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

Who said I ever threatened to quit. I obviously have a serious, long-term commitment (and am addicted to NFL-ST).

Existing customers have just called and received the $300 off deal, no threats, no retention. With that knowledge, I am entitled to the same consideration. Blame DBSTalk for exposing this mess.

No one said you threatened to quit... You're not entitled to new customer pricing, you're not a new customer.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#191 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,134 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

No one said you threatened to quit... You're not entitled to new customer pricing, you're not a new customer.

The problem is that they make it so easy. I called in when new subscribers were getting Sunday Ticket free, and just asked if any discounts were available to me. I took the first offer, free. If she had said no, I would have ended it there and decide whether to subscribe at full price.

#192 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

The problem is that they make it so easy. I called in when new subscribers were getting Sunday Ticket free, and just asked if any discounts were available to me. I took the first offer, free. If she had said no, I would have ended it there and decide whether to subscribe at full price.

That's different than calling in and demanding something though.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#193 OFFLINE   Bevostein

Bevostein

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

So this whole circus is the customer's fault???? Wrong! People with longevity call and demand because other people with similar longevity get the deal and others don't. DTV's inconsistency and lack of clarity is what drives this behavior. It is not an entitlement mentality. I don't think I am "entitled" to satellite service. I don't think I am "entitled" to new equipment for free or any other price.

Aa a customer I am willing to pay a fair price for the equipment and services. A fair price means getting what you perceive to be good value for your money. Like it or not, the reality is one measure of good value is paying what others similar to you are paying. Fair equals equitable and equitable means equal treatment of all concerned.

I can see the difference between new and existing customers. I'm not advocating that existing customers get new customer pricing. I get that.

As a customer since 2001, I would have no problem paying full fare for the equipment if other customer's with longevity also paid it. I would have had no problem paying $399 for the HR34 and moving on if I didn't hear others similar to me were getting it for $99. It would also be fine by me if DTV was clear that customers with X years get such and such deal or customers outside of the 2 year contract got such and such deal. Then I would know how long I have to wait and could decide accordingly. But they don't. They give it to some with little haggling and other after significant haggling. They offer $200 to some and $300 to others. This whole system is their mess 100%, not the customers.

I personally think for existing customers what they ought to do is lower the equipment prices across the board and then stick to their guns and not offer "deals". That would kill all this haggling and customer retention stuff that THEY have created. They could probably reduce the customer retention department staff and reduce their headaches.

#194 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

So this whole circus is the customer's fault???? Wrong! People with longevity call and demand because other people with similar longevity get the deal and others don't. DTV's inconsistency and lack of clarity is what drives this behavior. It is not an entitlement mentality. I don't think I am "entitled" to satellite service. I don't think I am "entitled" to new equipment for free or any other price.

Hmmm, I've read my posts on the subject and I don't see where I said it's the customer's fault so I'm not sure where you got that from... I agree that DirecTV should "tow the line" on this and treat everyone the same. If you're not a new customer you don't get new customer pricing no matter how much you cry, whine, threaten to quit etc. If existing customers don't like not getting new customer pricing let them quit and come back in a year or so as a new customer. That should be their stance.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#195 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

Just as most mobile phone providers have figured out, its as important to renew a good customers contract, as it is to get a new customer. So most handset deals are very similar for a new and renewing customers now. And they get getting you committed to a new 2 year agreement. So I don't know why DIRECTV makes some subscribers beg for it, but I'm glad with some effort they will usually see the light.

Huge difference with the handsets. I own my handset.

As I see it no matter what the eventual charge is, it is really just a shipping charge for the box. Even worse, you are tied into a contract which just adds to the shipping cost each month.

Install is a fee that pays someone for a truck roll.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#196 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hmmm, I've read my posts on the subject and I don't see where I said it's the customer's fault so I'm not sure where you got that from... I agree that DirecTV should "tow the line" on this and treat everyone the same. If you're not a new customer you don't get new customer pricing no matter how much you cry, whine, threaten to quit etc. If existing customers don't like not getting new customer pricing let them quit and come back in a year or so as a new customer. That should be their stance.

The problem is, you keep asserting that it's New Customer Pricing, when some existing customers routinely receive it (and then others "demand" it and receive it).

#197 OFFLINE   Bevostein

Bevostein

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

I agree 100%. I would like them to say "this is the price and you can go pound sand if you don't like it".

I interpreted your comments about customers having an entitlement mentality to mean it is the customer's fault.

#198 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

The problem is, you keep asserting that it's New Customer Pricing, when some existing customers routinely receive it (and then others "demand" it and receive it).

It IS new customer pricing. Just because some existing customers get it doesn't mean it's not new customer pricing. It just means DirecTV caved in when they shouldn't have.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#199 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:02 AM

So this whole circus is the customer's fault???? Wrong! People with longevity call and demand because other people with similar longevity get the deal and others don't. DTV's inconsistency and lack of clarity is what drives this behavior...

+1 to your entire post

#200 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

It IS new customer pricing. Just because some existing customers get it doesn't mean it's not new customer pricing. It just means DirecTV caved in when they shouldn't have.

You keep missing the point. Some existing customers called in and received the "new customer pricing" (from a CSR, not retention), others are quoted huge numbers (~$600, charging for everything but the kitchen sink).

The inconsistency is the problem, and it's not like it's a new phenomenon. :nono2:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...