Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1280 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,341 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

You keep missing the point. Some existing customers called in and received the "new customer pricing" (from a CSR, not retention), others are quoted huge numbers (~$600, charging for everything but the kitchen sink).

The inconsistency is the problem, and it's not like it's a new phenomenon. :nono2:

Nope, not a new phenomenon at all, it is just how D* works every single day. And it is frustrating as hell when you can't get the deals that are mentioned here and other places all the time, and great when you get the great deal.

But it is D* that sets their own rules and policies in quicksand, not us!!

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   alirelan720

alirelan720

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

Apparently no one's Mother or Father told them that life wasn't fair, just because one person get's one thing does not mean you are ENTITLED to it. I'm so sick of whiny people, claiming they deserve stuff. Get over yourself.

#203 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

Apparently no one's Mother or Father told them that life wasn't fair, just because one person get's one thing does not mean you are ENTITLED to it. I'm so sick of whiny people, claiming they deserve stuff. Get over yourself.

The horse is dead. get over it.

Now; Moving along, please...

Edited by dirtyblueshirt, 11 February 2012 - 01:51 PM.

Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#204 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,947 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

I just don't get all the entitlement everyone feels they should have...

I forgot about my intention start a petition to ban the use of the "e" word on DBSTalk...

Aside from the "Free HD" offer, I do not ask for programming credits. They are occasionally offered to me, and I'm certainly going to accept them if that is the case, but I don't go asking for them. DirecTV sets their programming prices, and I do not expect to get promotional prices offered to new customers.

That being said, I do ASK for discounted equipment.

Granted, that hasn't always been the case. When we started DirecTV in 1995, the one SD receiver and dish was (I believe) $549 (could have been higher). We bought the equipment ourselves and did a DIY install. Later, we upgraded to a dual LNB which allowed us two receivers... did a DIY install, and paid for two new receivers... one of which broke shortly thereafter, and forced us to buy a new receiver. Because we were with Pegasus by this time, I was forced to buy DVRs ($99 x 2) and HD ($249) receiver at full price, and did another DIY install with the Phase III dish and running new wire (all of which I had to purchase myself). Later, after I once again became a TRUE DirecTV customer (bye-bye Pegasus), I did manage to get a good deal on the HR10-250.... $299 after rebate (well... $399 since I never received the rebate). I managed to get the HR20 for free, along with free install of the KA/KU dish. I later leased an H20 (I forget if it was $99 or $199). I then got an HR23-700/AM21 combo, which I paid $349 for thanks to my own stupidity. In late 2010, I upgraded two SD-TiVos to HR24s, which I got for free.

Years ago, you owned stuff. Now, you lease it. I don't have a problem with that, but I do expect a cheaper price for a leased item than I do an owned one. With that discount, DirecTV does several things... one (and this is a big one), they get a two year commitment from me (or an ETF should that change), and two, they get a happier customer who enjoys their programming and is happier with sending them a percentage of their income each month... not to mention that happier customers tend to speak more favorably about their service to other people.

I've been waiting for months until I could call in and ask for a deal for the HR34. The fact that it was in February excited me even more... the HR34 would make a great birthday gift to myself. Things have changed in my life, and I can't make any commitments to DirecTV right now, so I'm waiting. My hope is that my future will become clearer in the next month or so. If (and I pray it is) my future looks better than I'm afraid it might be, I will be calling DirecTV and asking for a deal. I won't threaten to call and cancel (though I may indeed ask when my contract is up should I not get it on the first try thereby rendering the question moot) since I am curious (they really should put that on the website). If I don't get it within a certain period of time... that's fine... I am happy with my HR24s, but I will feel less likely to justify the costs once the annual price increase comes next year, and since I wouldn't be on a contract, I might just decide it's not worth it. I'm sure DirecTV wouldn't miss me, but...

~Alan

#205 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

I am entitled to the same price others with my longevity get, nothing more and nothing less.

This inconsistency is Very Bad Business, and quite possibly illegal. :rant:

The problem is, no one here really knows the true differences in everyone's histories. Seem may call and ask for stuff every year,some may not have called in ever and are still using equipment that they got when they first installed a decade ago.... I am not saying that they aren't inconsistent as well,they are, but some of it isn't making it even more frustrating.

A true rewards program where you earn points towards credits for time with them and such would be much better and allow them to stop the crazy inconsistencies that we perceive. Everyone would be able to get something after so much time.

#206 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

From OP: "Select customers may be eligible for a lower price. This varies depending on your history with DIRECTV."

If they'd only define who "Select customers" are, we'd know who is entitled and who isn't (and maybe they'd program it into their computers so what is charged doesn't vary wildly). Until then, get used to "whiny people".

#207 OFFLINE   slowmoe

slowmoe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

D* IMHO is doing this all WRONG! I have been a customer going on 4 years. I was with E* a lot longer. I called this morning regarding the HR34 & said I have (1) TV. Why I ask is D* making it mandatory:bang to add that STUPID CINEMA Connection Kit? It should be case by case. My router is with in 3' of my HR22DVR Ethernet port. You tube works fine along with other internet applications. Even though I have only one TV I have on several occasions ran into a problem with having only two tuners. Plus she wouldn't give me a break ($300 credit). Also reading the fine print on the bottom of this page does this box not cost another $20 per month to use "Also requires Advanced Receiver Service ($20/mo)".http://www.directv.c...gy/hmc_receiver

#208 OFFLINE   RMSko

RMSko

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

I got the $99 plus $49 install with no problem, I didn't even need to talk to retention (I am a long time customer though). One question, they told me I would have to pay a new $6 monthly fee for the home media service. I already pay the $3 monthly whole-home service, but they told me this was different. Is this a fee that everyone is being charged?

#209 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

D* IMHO is doing this all WRONG!...

This is especially true since the HR34 can function as a "Cinema Connection Kit" (or whatever the "broadband DECA" or ICK is called these days). Using the HR34 to bridge from Ethernet to DECA is supported (and works).

#210 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

I got the $99 plus $49 install with no problem, I didn't even need to talk to retention (I am a long time customer though). One question, they told me I would have to pay a new $6 monthly fee for the home media service. I already pay the $3 monthly whole-home service, but they told me this was different. Is this a fee that everyone is being charged?

I believe they assumed you were hooking this up to an RVU TV.

~Alan

#211 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:19 PM

Also reading the fine print on the bottom of this page does this box not cost another $20 per month to use "Also requires Advanced Receiver Service ($20/mo)".http://www.directv.c...gy/hmc_receiver

DirecTV lumped multiple fees together in that new service.

The $20 fee includes HD Access ($10), DVR service ($7.00), and WHDVR service ($3).

~Alan

#212 OFFLINE   RMSko

RMSko

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

I believe they assumed you were hooking this up to an RVU TV.

~Alan

I'm not hooking it up to an RVU TV so do I still need to pay the $6 monthly fee? The rep told me the additional fee is mandatory.

#213 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

I'm not hooking it up to an RVU TV so do I still need to pay the $6 monthly fee? The rep told me the additional fee is mandatory.

On second thought... maybe he was referring to an additional lease fee?! Is this replacing a receiver, or an addition?!

I don't know. Anyone else have any clues?!

~Alan

#214 OFFLINE   austen0316

austen0316

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts
  • LocationRobbinsville, NJ

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

no the fee is not mandatory

#215 OFFLINE   bigtom

bigtom

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

It has been suggested a few times and also explained upon my HMC order, the reasoning of requiring the CCK or WHDVR upgrade. The HMC is SWM only, so if you don't have a DIRECTV installed SWM system, the CCK or WHDVR upgrade is how you get it.

#216 OFFLINE   ejhenry001

ejhenry001

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

I called yesterday, spoke with rep that stated the price for me would be $399. She was able to take $50 off, but she advised me to call back in a month, when my one year is up, and I would be able to possibly take advantage of some upgrades pricing that I dont have available currently. But based on what she stated, she didnt even consider the $99 pricing - plus I need a SWM16 also, so that better be thrown in!

#217 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

It has been suggested a few times and also explained upon my HMC order, the reasoning of requiring the CCK or WHDVR upgrade. The HMC is SWM only, so if you don't have a DIRECTV installed SWM system, the CCK or WHDVR upgrade is how you get it.

But that doesn't make sense... If you don't have a DirecTV-installed SWiM, they may think they need to install SWiM. But the HR34 happily connects to Ethernet itself, eliminating the need for the CCK if the HR34 is near wired Ethernet.

Unfortunately, there are so many permutations that the typical CSR can't comprehend all of them, especially this early on. :nono:

#218 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

But that doesn't make sense... If you don't have a DirecTV-installed SWiM, they may think they need to install SWiM. But the HR34 happily connects to Ethernet itself, eliminating the need for the CCK if the HR34 is near wired Ethernet.

Unfortunately, there are so many permutations that the typical CSR can't comprehend all of them, especially this early on. :nono:

If you don't have a SWiM setup the HR-34 won't get a sat signal. The SWiM requirement has nothing to do with whether or not you want Internet connection.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#219 OFFLINE   alirelan720

alirelan720

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

Obviously the horse is not dead, still complaining you are.

#220 OFFLINE   bigtom

bigtom

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

You are right, there could not be a need for either a CCK or WHDVR features, but the HMC needs a SWM installation to function. The CCK or WHDVR upgrade is required because it provides the SWM for those who don't have it.

Definately a need for an easier upgrade path at least for everyone involved to understand.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...