Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1280 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

If you don't have a SWiM setup the HR-34 won't get a sat signal. The SWiM requirement has nothing to do with whether or not you want Internet connection.

I'm well aware of that. The issue is the logic of DirecTV requiring a CCK with an HR34 (which is clearly unnecessary), and the post I referred to reasoned that it had something to do with self-installed SWiM.

Now, what may have been implied is, there's no way to order "SWiM"... you have to order a CCK or WHDS to force "SWiM". But doesn't HR34 force WHDS?. And there needs to be some way to turn on a "Self-installed SWiM" bit to avoid this confusion. Remember, when all this started, there were no installers, the customers did everything. Some of us still prefer it that way.

Edited by dwcolvin, 11 February 2012 - 03:10 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,493 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

I'm well aware of that.

Clearly you're not...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#223 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

...And there needs to be some way to turn on a "Self-installed SWiM" bit to avoid this confusion...

There is a SWM "flag" on your account. It gets changed when SWM is officially installed by a tech. It is possible to get it changed for a DIY install, but it can be difficult to do.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#224 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

Clearly you're not...

:bang Perhaps you need to re-read the sequence of posts. The originator of this "sub-thread" had self-installed SWiM, so having SWiM was never an issue, only what D* thought he had.

#225 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,493 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

:bang Perhaps you need to re-read the sequence of posts. The originator of this "sub-thread" had self-installed SWiM, so having SWiM was never an issue, only what D* thought he had.

So??? Did the thought never occur to you that once the installers get there and see SWiM installed that they'd no longer charge that person for it or require it? They'd simply mark his account as SWiM and move on.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#226 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

So??? Did the thought never occur to you that once the installers get there and see SWiM installed that they'd no longer charge that person for it or require it? They'd simply mark his account as SWiM and move on.

No, it occurred to me that the installer would have "CCK" (not SWiM) on their work order, and install an unnecessary CCK, and the customer would be billed for it.

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#227 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 8,869 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

Let's not continue to direct posts/insults to each other. Move along or take your personal conversations to PM.

:backtotop

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#228 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,493 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

No, it occurred to me that the installer would have "CCK" (not SWiM) on their work order, and install an unnecessary CCK, and the customer would be billed for it.

CCK = SWiM
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#229 OFFLINE   RMSko

RMSko

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

I just got my order confirmation from DTV and it says

HMC HD DVR - $199
Sales order credit - $100
Equipment total - $99

Obviously the final price is fine, but I thought the initial price was $399 not $199. Anyone have any thoughts?

#230 OFFLINE   alirelan720

alirelan720

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:42 PM

CCK = SWiM

CCK does not equal SWIM, all's the cck is is an internet connection kit, it allows an HD-DVR to connect to the internet via a router supplied by DTV. The SWIM is the system/wires that allow the receivers to be on whole home.

#231 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

CCK does not equal SWIM...

CCK = http://support.direc...-connection-kit

However, RunnerFL informs me that CCK means something different to an installer. As a customer, I can only assume that if a CSR says I have to order one, it's going to mean what's on DirecTV's web page and will be a little box I have to pay to get.

#232 ONLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,881 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:59 PM

A true rewards program where you earn points towards credits for time with them and such would be much better and allow them to stop the crazy inconsistencies that we perceive. Everyone would be able to get something after so much time.

That is how my Alma Mater handles athletics. There is a published points system. You get a statement each year detailing your points and what level of points it takes to get certain things (like bowl tickets etc.). Points are based on several factors such as number of years, donation levels, past ticket putchases etc. Some people might not like it, but it about as transparent as you can get.

#233 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,493 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

CCK does not equal SWIM, all's the cck is is an internet connection kit, it allows an HD-DVR to connect to the internet via a router supplied by DTV. The SWIM is the system/wires that allow the receivers to be on whole home.

I know what SWiM is and what the CCK is however if "CCK" is put on the work order they must also install SWiM because you can't have the CCK without SWiM. If SWiM is already installed, by you, then they mark your system as a SWiM system and move on to the next item on the work order.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#234 OFFLINE   specialkd24

specialkd24

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

I've been with DirecTV since Jan. 2008. So now I'm 2 years out-of-contract and I've never really asked for any credits (besides the HD credit).

I just called (regular CSR, not retention) and got it for $99. He told me it was $399, but said my account had a lot of offers on it, he put me on hold for 2-3 minutes, and came back and said I could get it for $99 installed. The tech is coming on Thursday.

I'm glad I waited to get something I really wanted.

Edited by specialkd24, 12 February 2012 - 12:31 AM.

#235 OFFLINE   alirelan720

alirelan720

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

I know what SWiM is and what the CCK is however if "CCK" is put on the work order they must also install SWiM because you can't have the CCK without SWiM. If SWiM is already installed, by you, then they mark your system as a SWiM system and move on to the next item on the work order.

A CCK does NOT require a swim

#236 OFFLINE   jcricket

jcricket

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

I'm planning on pulling this trigger in just a few weeks (been with DirecTV since 2001, out of contract at least a couple of years). I have one HR22 right now. We're adding a 2nd TV (Samsung UN46D6300) in the bedroom. Want to replace the HR22 with the HR34 and have only one receiver since I'll be using the RVU functionality of the Samsung.

Just to clarify something, if I do this (along with SWIM and CCK) what's the wiring like? I have a central utility closet where everything is home-run (including from the dish on the roof). From what I've read I think the wiring is as follows:

1) Single coax cable from satellite on roof -> utility room.
2) 2-way splitter with one coax to CCK and the one to bedroom
3) CCK has ethernet cable to my router, and the coax to the HR34
4) In the bedroom the DECA-> ethernet adapter with ethernet only to TV

Did I get that right? For the HR34 do I need BBCs or Deca adapters or the phone cable anymore? Does the phone cable serve any purpose if you have the CCK connected?

TIA

#237 OFFLINE   alirelan720

alirelan720

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

I'm planning on pulling this trigger in just a few weeks (been with DirecTV since 2001, out of contract at least a couple of years). I have one HR22 right now. We're adding a 2nd TV (Samsung UN46D6300) in the bedroom. Want to replace the HR22 with the HR34 and have only one receiver since I'll be using the RVU functionality of the Samsung.

Just to clarify something, if I do this (along with SWIM and CCK) what's the wiring like? I have a central utility closet where everything is home-run (including from the dish on the roof). From what I've read I think the wiring is as follows:

1) Single coax cable from satellite on roof -> utility room.
2) 2-way splitter with one coax to CCK and the one to bedroom
3) CCK has ethernet cable to my router, and the coax to the HR34
4) In the bedroom the DECA-> ethernet adapter with ethernet only to TV

Did I get that right? For the HR34 do I need BBCs or Deca adapters or the phone cable anymore? Does the phone cable serve any purpose if you have the CCK connected?

TIA

If you have the CCK installed you would no longer need a phone line connection the CCK will provide that

#238 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,288 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

I'm well aware of that. The issue is the logic of DirecTV requiring a CCK with an HR34 (which is clearly unnecessary), and the post I referred to reasoned that it had something to do with self-installed SWiM.

Now, what may have been implied is, there's no way to order "SWiM"... you have to order a CCK or WHDS to force "SWiM". But doesn't HR34 force WHDS?. And there needs to be some way to turn on a "Self-installed SWiM" bit to avoid this confusion. Remember, when all this started, there were no installers, the customers did everything. Some of us still prefer it that way.

No. I dont plan on having Whole Home. Dont need it or want it. I will have 6 DVR's on the account. Dont need to pay another $3 a month for something I can record in any room in the house already.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#239 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,075 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

Does the phone cable serve any purpose if you have the CCK connected?

TIA

Caller ID if you have that service through your phone company.

Edited by trh, 11 February 2012 - 06:37 PM.
typo

#240 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

A CCK does NOT require a swim

What???? A CCK bridges Ethernet to DECA... DECA requires SWiM.

That's what this whole semantic discussion has been about... CCK isn't SWiM, but it certainly prereqs SWiM.

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

spam firewall