Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1280 replies to this topic

#261 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

I added a bit more to my above post. It has multiple configurations, but one is essentially a bridge.

I saw that. Thanks. Now it (sorta) makes sense.

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#262 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

*shakes head* .....and you people will be the first ones bitching when prices go up....do ya think its all free?....really?
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#263 OFFLINE   Angel-78

Angel-78

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:40 AM

I've with DTV for a while now. I call the retention dept about once a year for discounts. I still have 3 DSR6000, 1 R10 and D12. Last year they offered me HD upgrade I set it all up but never had the time for them to do it. At the end of December they offered it to me again, 3 HD DVR's and 2HD whole home dvr and and cinema and new dish and install all for $99.00. I was busy and put the install off a little. Installer called to try and reschedule my install and told me that if I waited till 02/09/12 I would be able to get HR34. Called cancellation dept and they changed one of my HD DVR's to a HR34 for $99 more. Final order 1 HR34, 2 HD DVR and 2 HD receivers with cinema connection kit and new dish and install for about $230.00. They also gave me a $25 monthley credit for one year and free HD with autopay. They also offered me a $50 credit on the Nomad. Its amazing what the right cancellation dept csr can do for you.

#264 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:55 AM

:nono2:There's no reason to read this thread on pricing because no way is DTV going to give current customers a break. They can keep their 34!

#265 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:33 AM

In December I purchased 3 HR34's from USDigitalHD.com for 394.99 ea. Installed them myself. Today after reading about the credits people were receiving I called D*TV retentions. I didn't threaten to leave or anything. The CSR was very polite and in less then 5 minutes gave my account an instant credit for $300.00 X 2 = $600.00. I am very happy, I did not think I would be able to get it done. I do agree that D*TV has a serious inconsistency problem in the Customer Service Dept with the wide differences customers are experiencing. I have been a customer since 2000.

That is beyond ridiculous, that should not be policy in any way. Don't even know how to respond to that, when people offer things like that I can see how it creates entitlement....

As well as a lot of jealousy. :lol:

#266 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,055 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:40 AM

:nono2:There's no reason to read this thread on pricing because no way is DTV going to give current customers a break. They can keep their 34!

A blanket post like this does nothing for the thread, there are many instances in this thread alone that show the different deals that are being given to customers. What we do know is that things like payment history, length of service and previous credits play into what is offered.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#267 OFFLINE   RMSko

RMSko

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

I just got my order confirmation from DTV and it says

HMC HD DVR - $199
Sales order credit - $100
Equipment total - $99

Obviously the final price is fine, but I thought the initial price was $399 not $199. Anyone have any thoughts?

Sorry to bump this up, but does anyone know why my order shows the HMC as originally only $199 and not $399? I'm just a bit concerned that they are installing the wrong thing.

#268 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,684 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

Does it actually say HMC or just HD DVR?

#269 OFFLINE   tonypitt

tonypitt

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

Sorry to bump this up, but does anyone know why my order shows the HMC as originally only $199 and not $399? I'm just a bit concerned that they are installing the wrong thing.

Are they drop shipping you the equipment or forcing an install?

I posted earlier in this thread that I was told I was getting a HR34 for $99, but the rep (who was clearly incompetent) actually gave me pricing for and submitted the order for the new HD Tivo. Comparing the pricing I was given with what you are seeing here looks very similar. However, when I looked at the detailed order online, it did clearly say 'Tivo.' You might want to check that if you haven't already.

#270 OFFLINE   RMSko

RMSko

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:52 AM

Are they drop shipping you the equipment or forcing an install?

I posted earlier in this thread that I was told I was getting a HR34 for $99, but the rep (who was clearly incompetent) actually gave me pricing for and submitted the order for the new HD Tivo. Comparing the pricing I was given with what you are seeing here looks very similar. However, when I looked at the detailed order online, it did clearly say 'Tivo.' You might want to check that if you haven't already.

Hah - your post was actually one of the reasons I was concerned, but I just checked and I think mine is right. They are doing an onsite install. This is what my order online says:

Loyal Cust - Free
Home Media Center 1 - $6.00
DIRECTV Home Media Center HD DVR - $199.00
Sales Order Credit – ($100.00)
HMC Receiver Condition - Free
DIRECTV® Home Media Center Client Installation (TV) - Free
DIRECT® Home Media Center Client Installation (TV) - $49.00
MRV Install - Free
Delivery and Handing - Free
Tax - $10.36
Order Total - $158.36

Any thoughts why the HMC original cost shows as $199.00? Also, any idea what the $6 charge is?

#271 OFFLINE   bigtom

bigtom

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

The HMC is 199 because that is likely what you were eligible for automatically.

The $6 fee, somewhere they expect you would have more TV viewing location upon completion. Maybe from the RVU clients...

Edited by bigtom, 12 February 2012 - 11:49 AM.

#272 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,843 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

A blanket post like this does nothing for the thread, there are many instances in this thread alone that show the different deals that are being given to customers. What we do know is that things like payment history, length of service and previous credits play into what is offered.

With credits being given, I called and got the responses that DirecTV has to pay TIVO $800 per unit.

With a well informed CSR like this, I hung up.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#273 OFFLINE   RMSko

RMSko

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

The HMC is 199 because that is likely what you were eligible for automatically.

The $6 fee, somewhere they expect you would have more TV viewing location upon completion. Maybe from the RVU clients...

That kind of makes sense re the $99 I guess. I think re the RVU that's right so I assume I'm going to have to call D* after the install and tell them I don't have any RVU clients so I'm not charged this fee.

#274 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

If you cannot keep the equipment, why would you pay one more dollar than the shipping cost?

If I go to the rental car company, I pay them a small fee for the use of the car on some time basis, day week or month. I surely don't pay them some portion of the price of the car and this fee.

The whole idea of paying even $99 for a unit in which you have no equity is senseless.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#275 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

If you cannot keep the equipment, why would you pay one more dollar than the shipping cost?

If I go to the rental car company, I pay them a small fee for the use of the car on some time basis, day week or month. I surely don't pay them some portion of the price of the car and this fee.

The whole idea of paying even $99 for a unit in which you have no equity is senseless.

No it's not at all. If they didn't use that model, then everyone would be paying 20 a month per box or more without question. That's the cable way...

#276 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

So, let me get this straight Jerry.

It's OK to pay $35 per day to rent a car for a week, but it would be senseless to pay $100 up front and $20 per day? Really?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#277 OFFLINE   mipo777

mipo777

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

I have been waiting to renew my contract for when football season was over and I'm happy I was able to take advantage of a new receiver. I have 2 receivers currently , an HD (the 21 I think) and an SD. Wife finally got an HD tv so going to switch the 21 to her and swap the old SD for the 34. Here's what I got:

YOUR EQUIPMENT SELECTION
1 DIRECTV® HMC HD DVR $99.00
1 Cinema Connection Kit $99.00
2 Sales Order Credit -$198.00
Equipment Total $0.00
ADDITIONAL
Installation Fee * $49.00
Delivery & Handling Fee * $0.00
Tax * $0.00
Order Total Paid*

The HMC is the 34 correct? I was very specific that this be the box I wanted. Looks like a good deal to me and can't wait to have whole home DVR going.

#278 OFFLINE   RMSko

RMSko

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

I have been waiting to renew my contract for when football season was over and I'm happy I was able to take advantage of a new receiver. I have 2 receivers currently , an HD (the 21 I think) and an SD. Wife finally got an HD tv so going to switch the 21 to her and swap the old SD for the 34. Here's what I got:

YOUR EQUIPMENT SELECTION
1 DIRECTV® HMC HD DVR $99.00
1 Cinema Connection Kit $99.00
2 Sales Order Credit -$198.00
Equipment Total $0.00
ADDITIONAL
Installation Fee * $49.00
Delivery & Handling Fee * $0.00
Tax * $0.00
Order Total Paid*

The HMC is the 34 correct? I was very specific that this be the box I wanted. Looks like a good deal to me and can't wait to have whole home DVR going.

Yes, the HMC is the 34 and that's an amazing deal since most (even long time) customers had to pay $99 plus $49 installation. One thing that seems strange about your order is the Cinema Connection Kit b/c my understanding from reading all the above posts is that the CCK is built into the HR34 and a separate CCK isn't necessary. Anyone know for sure?

#279 OFFLINE   alirelan720

alirelan720

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

Yes, the HMC is the 34 and that's an amazing deal since most (even long time) customers had to pay $99 plus $49 installation. One thing that seems strange about your order is the Cinema Connection Kit b/c my understanding from reading all the above posts is that the CCK is built into the HR34 and a separate CCK isn't necessary. Anyone know for sure?

Hd-Dvrs have built in DECA's not CCk's those are seperate just for connecting to the internet. For some reason HR-34's require it, I believe its because there is so much software it may require internet to help it run.

#280 OFFLINE   RMSko

RMSko

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

Hd-Dvrs have built in DECA's not CCk's those are seperate just for connecting to the internet. For some reason HR-34's require it, I believe its because there is so much software it may require internet to help it run.

Are you saying an HR34 requires CCK? Everything I've read says that CCK isn't necessary for an HR34. I thought the DECA is what connects it to the internet and that the CCK isn't necessary. Does anyone know if an HR34 being used with numerous other HD DVRs needs or benefits from CCK?

Edited by RMSko, 12 February 2012 - 03:28 PM.

spam firewall