Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1280 replies to this topic

#281 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

The install tech just arrived. Without a 34. :nono: and he thinks he can do this without a SWM 16 (1 HR34, 1 HR24, 1 THR22, and 1 H24. 10 tuners.) now I have to wait an hour plus while he goes back to the depot in Kearny Mesa for a 34.

Sigh.

Edit: they don't have ANY HR34s in the warehouse; and "might" have some by Tuesday, but can't schedule another install until NEXT Sunday. :mad:

I'm requesting a credit to compensate for most, if not all the $241.87 I paid out of pocket. I don't see this as completely unreasonable since others have gotten the HR34 for much less than I paid.

Edited by dirtyblueshirt, 12 February 2012 - 03:35 PM.

Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#282 OFFLINE   alirelan720

alirelan720

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

Are you saying an HR34 requires CCK? Everything I've read says that CCK isn't necessary for an HR34. I thought the DECA is what connects it to the internet and that the CCK isn't necessary. Does anyone know if an HR34 being used with numerous other HD DVRs needs or benefits from CCK?

That's what I'm unclear on, the CCK is a requirement for the HR34 to function, the HR34 uses what is called RVU technology, in order for it connect to other receivers that are only HD and not Hr34's it uses the CCK, and the benefits would be, being able to order ppv's with your remote, on demand access, youtube and other internet apps from you tv.

#283 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

So, let me get this straight Jerry.

It's OK to pay $35 per day to rent a car for a week, but it would be senseless to pay $100 up front and $20 per day? Really?

No it is alright to pay $35 per day to rent it. It is not OK to pay $15000 to rent it for $20 per day. Where is half the cost of a car $100? Not even in Henry's days.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#284 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

No it is alright to pay $35 per day to rent it. It is not OK to pay $15000 to rent it for $20 per day. Where is half the cost of a car $100? Not even in Henry's days.

Seeing as how the point has eluded you, I'll try again. Without an upfront cost, the monthly charge would be higher (as many other TV providers do). Pay some upfront and lower the monthly charge, or do away with that model and increase the monthly charge. I'd rather pay less per month, as it works out to my (and most others) benefit in the long run.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#285 OFFLINE   RMSko

RMSko

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

That's what I'm unclear on, the CCK is a requirement for the HR34 to function, the HR34 uses what is called RVU technology, in order for it connect to other receivers that are only HD and not Hr34's it uses the CCK, and the benefits would be, being able to order ppv's with your remote, on demand access, youtube and other internet apps from you tv.

Actually I'm pretty sure this is wrong. The RVU technology enables the HR34 to wirelessly connect to an RVU compatible TV. You don't need to use the RVU in order to use the HR34 and can instead connect the HR34 to a TV the same way that an HR2X connects. As for the CCK, I likewise don't think you need that to get the internet capability as you will get that when you have the DECA installation. My understanding is that CCK is not needed with the HR34. However, I don't have my HR34 yet so is there anyone out there with an HR34 setup that can confirm that the HR34 does NOT need CCK?

#286 OFFLINE   alirelan720

alirelan720

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

Actually I'm pretty sure this is wrong. The RVU technology enables the HR34 to wirelessly connect to an RVU compatible TV. You don't need to use the RVU in order to use the HR34 and can instead connect the HR34 to a TV the same way that an HR2X connects. As for the CCK, I likewise don't think you need that to get the internet capability as you will get that when you have the DECA installation. My understanding is that CCK is not needed with the HR34. However, I don't have my HR34 yet so is there anyone out there with an HR34 setup that can confirm that the HR34 does NOT need CCK?

Already have the HR34, a DECA has nothing to do with the internet, it allows HD receiver and HD DVRS to connect to each other for whole home, the HR34 does not support whole home it allows receivers that are not the HR34 to mimc whole home by connecting it, I was explaining that it uses the RVU technology to connect to other TV's which right now about the only tvs that are compatible of the RVU technology are the Samsung RVU tvs.

#287 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

First offer: $5/mo credit for 6 months.

Second offer: $10/mo credit for 24 months

Third offer: Same.

My decision: order cancelled.

To be fair, I never raised my voice, and kept my temper in check the entire time (that was probably the most difficult part). I remained calm and firm with my request. Ultimately they were not able to meet it in a reasonable manner so I went for the only other option I had available.

...please excuse me while I spend the rest of the day fuming.

Posted Image
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

#288 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,117 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

Already have the HR34, a DECA has nothing to do with the internet, it allows HD receiver and HD DVRS to connect to each other for whole home, the HR34 does not support whole home it allows receivers that are not the HR34 to mimc whole home by connecting it, I was explaining that it uses the RVU technology to connect to other TV's which right now about the only tvs that are compatible of the RVU technology are the Samsung RVU tvs.

A DECA box with a proper power inserter can act as a CCK & was done so before CCKs.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#289 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

You asked for $241 in credit and they offered $240 and you declined? What am I missing?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#290 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

You asked for $241 in credit and they offered $240 and you declined? What am I missing?

I was looking for an up front credit to match what others have gotten. To be perfectly honest, if I get a job overseas in the next year, a 24-month credit is worthless to me.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

#291 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,117 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

I'm requesting a credit to compensate for most, if not all the $241.87 I paid out of pocket. I don't see this as completely unreasonable since others have gotten the HR34 for much less than I paid.

Third offer: Same.

My decision: order cancelled.

To be fair, I never raised my voice, and kept my temper in check the entire time (that was probably the most difficult part). I remained calm and firm with my request. Ultimately they were not able to meet it in a reasonable manner so I went for the only other option I had available.

So, they offer you the original order for $1.87 and say no? :nono:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#292 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

So, they offer you the original order for $1.87 and say no? :nono:

See above.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

#293 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

Well, if you werent planning on staying for the whole two year commitment anyway, then they made the correct decision, as well as saving you a big ETF.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#294 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

Well, if you werent planning on staying for the whole two year commitment anyway, then they made the correct decision, as well as saving you a big ETF.

If I move out of country, there is no ETF, since they cannot provide service to where I'm moving (such is the law for all like contracts)
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

#295 OFFLINE   RMSko

RMSko

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

A DECA box with a proper power inserter can act as a CCK & was done so before CCKs.

I'm not sure I'm completely following this. I intend to have the HR34 connected to my home router directly via Ethernet. In order for my HR34 and each of my other HR2X's to connect to the internet for PPV etc, will I need a separate DECA box and power inserter that also connects to my router?

Also, in order to get whole-home among my HR34 and all my other HR2x's so that they can each share all their programming, is there anything else I will need to do. A post above said the HR34 doesn't support whole-home, so that also confused me a bit.

#296 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

I'm not sure I'm completely following this. I intend to have the HR34 connected to my home router directly via Ethernet. In order for my HR34 and each of my other HR2X's to connect to the internet for PPV etc, will I need a separate DECA box and power inserter that also connects to my router?

No

#297 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,117 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

If I move out of country, there is no ETF, since they cannot provide service to where I'm moving (such is the law for all like contracts)

Isn't that military only? (I know you are or were.) Otherwise, lots of people would lie and say they're moving to avoid ETFs.

#298 OFFLINE   alirelan720

alirelan720

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

That is so wrong, but alas can't fix stupid. So I will no longer comment on that.

#299 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

That is so wrong, but alas can't fix stupid. So I will no longer comment on that.

Good, then I wont have to disconnect mine, because that is how mine has been hooked up since day 1, with no issues.

#300 OFFLINE   RMSko

RMSko

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

No

Thanks Davenir. Sorry to be a bit anal about this, but I just want to make sure that I have everything I need for my upcoming install. Am I right that as long as I have my HR34 connected via ethernet directly to my router and as long as I have DECA into each of my HR2X receivers, I will (i) have whole-home viewing from/to my HR34 and all of my other HR2X receivers and (ii) I will be able to connect to the internet and get PPV etc from each HR2X and the HR34?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...