Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1280 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

That is so wrong, but alas can't fix stupid. So I will no longer comment on that.

While it may seem less an ideal, it was indeed done before the broadband DECA/CCK was available. It works very well and reliably.
DogLover

My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#302 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

That is so wrong, but alas can't fix stupid. So I will no longer comment on that.

:nono2:

Well, this is how it was done before the "true" broadband DECA came out (there was a supply shortage in the beginning.) It was also how it was tested pre-release ;)
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#303 OFFLINE   Ken984

Ken984

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

Good, then I wont have to disconnect mine, because that is how mine has been hooked up since day 1, with no issues.

Yes that is how mine has been as well. I actually had to explain how to do it to the installer.

Samsung 65-es6550-HR44-700-Denon AVR-2311CI, XBOX360, Win Media Center 7, Samsung BD-D6500

#304 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

Thanks Davenir. Sorry to be a bit anal about this, but I just want to make sure that I have everything I need for my upcoming install. Am I right that as long as I have my HR34 connected via ethernet directly to my router and as long as I have DECA into each of my HR2X receivers, I will (i) have whole-home viewing from/to my HR34 and all of my other HR2X receivers and (ii) I will be able to connect to the internet and get PPV etc from each HR2X and the HR34?

Yep, you have it right. As a matter of fact, if you DID hook the HR34 up to ethernet, and hooked up a CCK elsewhere, you would have a loop which would cause all sorts of issues.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#305 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,017 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

You would probably be shocked at how many homes are set up this way.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#306 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

Already have the HR34, a DECA has nothing to do with the internet, it allows HD receiver and HD DVRS to connect to each other for whole home, the HR34 does not support whole home it allows receivers that are not the HR34 to mimc whole home by connecting it, I was explaining that it uses the RVU technology to connect to other TV's which right now about the only tvs that are compatible of the RVU technology are the Samsung RVU tvs.

That is completely wrong. :nono2: First, an HR34 is just like a big HR24... it completely supports Whole Home... it sees and can be seen by HR2xs and H2xs, exactly like an HR24. Second, DECA has everything to do with the internet. The DirecTV TCP/IP medium is DECA, but that must be bridged to the customer's home network for DirecTV Cinema, DirecTV2PC, TCP/IP remote control, TV Apps, YouTube, Media Share, Pandora, DHCP, etc., to work. That's what a CCK does (unless it's the wireless one configured to be a wireless Ethernet bridge for non-DECA purposes).

Unlike the HR24, the HR34 can also be the server for RVU thin clients, which pretty much don't exist yet. It can also connect to Ethernet and DECA at the same time and act as a 'CCK'.

Edited by dwcolvin, 12 February 2012 - 08:44 PM.
added more internet-based stuff I don't use

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#307 OFFLINE   matthpd195

matthpd195

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

That is completely wrong. :nono2: First, an HR34 is just like a big HR24... it completely supports Whole Home... it sees and can be seen by HR2xs and H2xs, exactly like an HR24. Second, DECA has everything to do with the internet. The DirecTV TCP/IP medium is DECA, but that must be bridged to the customer's home network for DirecTV Cinema, DirecTV2PC, TCP/IP remote control, etc., to work. That's what a CCK does (unless it's the wireless one configured to be a wireless Ethernet bridge for non-DECA purposes).

Unlike the HR24, the HR34 can also be the server for RVU thin clients, which pretty much don't exist yet. It can also connect to Ethernet and DECA at the same time and act as a 'CCK'.

THANK YOU! It's amazing to me how much bad information there is in the thread.

Its great to see the accurate information all in one post.

Again, THANK YOU! this post is EXACTLY what I was looking for when looking for information regarding my upcoming HR34 install.

#308 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

There is nothing at all wrong with that. The 'wired' CCK is nothing more than a DECA packaged in black plastic with a F-connector to attach to a SWiM splitter, and an Ethernet cable to attach to the home network, and a power supply.

It all accomplishes the same thing... bridging Ethernet to DECA.

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#309 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 877 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

Mine is still hooked using one of the white receiver decas with a power supply as a broadband deca. Works Fine!

#310 OFFLINE   mikellie

mikellie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

I have also been a customer since 2000. I called on Thursday morning, the day the HR34 was available. I had a great service rep. He has been working in retention for 9 years and told me about people calling in all the time looking for deals. He said that they are fully authorized to give people things based on the level you are at. For instance, 1 year, 5 year, 10 year, etc. He also told me that it didn't matter what level you are at, you are not going to get a deal on an HR34 and you will pay the $49 for installation. That is the bottom line. Anyone that is not a new customer and says that they got a deal, is simply lying. They can not give one person a deal unless they can offer it to every single customer at that level. And the guy did everything he could to try and help me. What he did end up doing is giving me some money off my bill and some free programming for a while. I spent over an hour talking to this guy and he really is on our side. He told me that even the employees have to pay full price. So I don't know what some of you get out of lying, but that's exactly what it is...a lie.

Edited by mikellie, 12 February 2012 - 06:18 PM.
forgot a couple words.

#311 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

I have also been a customer since 2000. I called on Thursday morning, the day the HR34 was available. I had a great service rep. He has been working in retention for 9 years and told me about people calling in all the time looking for deals. He said that they are fully authorized to give people things based on the level you are at. For instance, 1 year, 5 year, 10 year, etc. He also told me that it didn't matter what level you are at, you are not going to get a deal on an HR34 and you will pay the $49 for installation. That is the bottom line. Anyone that is not a new customer and says that they got a deal, is simply lying. They can not give one person a deal unless they can offer it to every single customer at that level. And the guy did everything he could to try and help me. What he did end up doing is giving me some money off my bill and some free programming for a while. I spent over an hour talking to this guy and he really is on our side. He told me that even the employees have to pay full price. So I don't know what some of you get out of lying, but that's exactly what it is...a lie.

He's not 100% correct there.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#312 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,425 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

I have no doubt people are getting deals. They are not lying. This is very common.

#313 OFFLINE   mikegold

mikegold

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

I was shot down twice today. Once this morning and once again this evening.

Both times I had the CSR's check with supervisors. $399 plus $49 for installation was what I was told both times. This morning they offered to waive the $49.

That was it. They said they have no knowledge of any existing subscribers getting any price other than this.

#314 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,726 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

Actually I'm pretty sure this is wrong. The RVU technology enables the HR34 to wirelessly connect to an RVU compatible TV. You don't need to use the RVU in order to use the HR34 and can instead connect the HR34 to a TV the same way that an HR2X connects. As for the CCK, I likewise don't think you need that to get the internet capability as you will get that when you have the DECA installation. My understanding is that CCK is not needed with the HR34. However, I don't have my HR34 yet so is there anyone out there with an HR34 setup that can confirm that the HR34 does NOT need CCK?

Show me that in writing someplace

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#315 OFFLINE   extide

extide

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

I was shot down twice today. Once this morning and once again this evening.

Both times I had the CSR's check with supervisors. $399 plus $49 for installation was what I was told both times. This morning they offered to waive the $49.

That was it. They said they have no knowledge of any existing subscribers getting any price other than this.

Of course that's what they tell you... They just want you to stop asking for deals and be complacent. I think if you called in earlier on thursday you had better chances of getting a deal, as it seems the CSR's are more informed now.

FWIW, here is a screenshot of the deal I got:
Posted Image

#316 OFFLINE   Iceman5000

Iceman5000

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

We have no reason to lie, I simply posted here to let others know that deals are available. I have learned a lot, and saved a lot with help from other members of this forum. I like to return the favor whenever possible. Just because you couldn't get a deal, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
HR34 (x3) HR20-700 HR22-100 (x3) HR21-700 HR24-200 HR24-100 R10 92" Mitsubishi DLP, 65" Panasonic Plasma, 58" Panasonic Plasma, 37" Dell LCD, 42" Akai Plasma, Samsung 46" LED (x3), 50" HP, Pioneer SC57, Swm16 (x2)

#317 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:23 PM

Isn't that military only? (I know you are or were.) Otherwise, lots of people would lie and say they're moving to avoid ETFs.

Nope, it's law for anybody. If the provider can't hold up their end of the contract by providing you service, the contract is voided. This is the same for cell phones, TV providers, internet providers, etc. I also verified this with DirecTV when I first ordered the HR34 without saying one word that I was in the military.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#318 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

No, it's not wrong. Before there were CCK's that's how it was done.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#319 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,425 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

Nope, it's law for anybody. If the provider can't hold up their end of the contract by providing you service, the contract is voided. This is the same for cell phones, TV providers, internet providers, etc. I also verified this with DirecTV when I first ordered the HR34 without saying one word that I was in the military.

Not saying DirecTV will be like this, but it's not always easy. A coworker had a heck of a time canceling her gym membership before she moved to China.

#320 OFFLINE   extide

extide

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

I use a DECA box coming off one of the leads from the main 8-port splitter with a power supply in my router closet, hooked into my LAN. Works fine. There is no 'magic' behind this deca stuff, the deca boxes are just ethernet bridges nothing else. Infact at one point I was using a DECA box to provide ethernet access to a computer in a room before I ran a dedicated ethernet line for the pc in there. I was 'sharing' the deca 'ethernet drop' between a pc and the DVR, using a switch.

spam firewall