Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1280 replies to this topic

#341 OFFLINE   pappys

pappys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:00 AM

OK thanks, I suspected something like that.

Good to be armed with info. when I call.

Is there a good way to transfer recordings from one of the old DVRs over? Or maybe I can just deactivate it but view the old recordings before returning it?

If it is a leased box that you are going to deactivate, then the tech is supposed to take it with them once the switch is made. In order to not allow this to happen you would need to keep it activated until you watch all your shows on it.
If owned, you would be correct in this method.

Transferring recordings would take pretty decent computer knowledge programming.
HR20-700 (conected to plasma via receiver)
HR21-100, Connected to LCD in Bedroom and via component to my plasma in my bedroom.
HR20-700
H20
Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch
AT9 Dish
Hitachi Plasma TV.
Sony BDS-350 Blu-ray player.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#342 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

Recordings are not transferable. Even if you remove the internal hard drive and place it in a different DVR is still will not work. It's the same concept as the old Xbox 360 removable hard drives... the data is not transferable to another console. So you either need to keep your existing DVR or watch all the programming on it that you want to see before the tech takes it away. I had my HR34 installed this past Saturday and you MUST have a SWiM system to run it due to the number of tuners (5) that it occupies by itself. If you don't have the SWiM module already installed, then your installer will put one in. In fact, it's these SWiM 16 modules that are getting harder to find; D* has less of them than they do the HR34's right now.

#343 OFFLINE   RudeDogs-DTV

RudeDogs-DTV

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:10 AM

The Only Time you or required to use a cck or wcck is for whole home network to work, all the hddvr's have a either net port in the back but when you wire direct it disables the wholehome. For older account that not have SWN installed and wish to upgrade the cck is free addon with the whole home upgrade, tho if the customer not have HS-internet we will it include it with the order. If we did the tech could not sign off the order since could not get the cck to work .

#344 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

The Only Time you or required to use a cck or wcck is for whole home network to work, all the hddvr's have a either net port in the back but when you wire direct it disables the wholehome. For older account that not have SWN installed and wish to upgrade the cck is free addon with the whole home upgrade, tho if the customer not have HS-internet we will it include it with the order. If we did the tech could not sign off the order since could not get the cck to work .

Whole Home DVR service will work without a CCK. A CCK is specifically to connect the DECA network to a customer's router. Not everyone has internet connectivity, but still wish to use Whole Home.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#345 OFFLINE   extide

extide

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

Close, but a few things wrong here:
When you plug in the ethernet it disables the DECA over coax (on Hx24/25) models.

For whole home to work all the DVR's need to be networked. This can be done either all DECA, all ethernet, or a hybrid of the two IF you have a CCK which links the DECA with your ethenet lan.

And DECA requires SWiM

#346 OFFLINE   unpluggedtech

unpluggedtech

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:32 PM

remember when the first hd dvr (942) box released for dish it was $1000 and we could not keep up. Basdically early adopters are what lets technology get out there, then the rest of us catch up.

#347 OFFLINE   unpluggedtech

unpluggedtech

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

I sure hope you end up with an HR34 and not a service call with a guy who has an HR24 or worse and HR21/22/23, please let us all know the outcome

#348 OFFLINE   Lancelink

Lancelink

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

....He also told me that it didn't matter what level you are at, you are not going to get a deal on an HR34 and you will pay the $49 for installation. That is the bottom line. Anyone that is not a new customer and says that they got a deal, is simply lying. ....

Then paint me a big fat lair.

Called customer service about 11:30 this morning, went straight to retention with cancel, cancel. Told the outstanding rep I wanted to see what was involved in upgrading my awful HR22-100 (didn't refer to it as awful, but it is) to a HR-34. He goes clickity click...long time customer...see what we can do to make it painless clickity click. No hold no wait, after two minutes of weather and college football talk I am scheduled for the upgrade tomorrow AM. No upgrade fee, no install fee, didn't even have to ask for a discount. Shockingly painless.

Had a bad weekend and was feeling down. It's amazing what a nice, free, shiny piece of electronic equipment will do to raise a geeks' spirits!

#349 OFFLINE   carpecervisi

carpecervisi

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

My installers just left and let me say they did an awesome job. They delivered the HR34, replaced the LNB, installed a SWiM8, installed a wired CCK, swapped out an HR21 for an HR24 all for...FREE.

No yelling at the retention department or multiple idiot CSRs. The customer service rep I spoke to after activating a replacement HR21 last week was very nice, I was polite and sometimes things just work out. I wasn't even expecting the HR24, but I was happy to upgrade (again).

:)

Now, if they can only get rid of that old clunky guide, I'll be loving that HR34 even more.

#350 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

But why? There's no price protection with DirecTV. When you commit to 2 years you do just that, commit. You know what you're in for and if you don't like it why commit for 2 years in the first place? Why would you expect to be treated as a new customer when you are in fact not a new customer?

I'm really talking about once you reach the end of your 2 year commitment or are close to it. They should treat you similar to a new customer. Then start offering you the new hardware at new customer pricing. Once you agree to it, they have you on another 2 year commitment.

I guess they kind of do that already, like the free HD DVR offer I have now. They should have given me an offer for the HR34 as well. I might have bit on that and re-upped for 2 more years, since I have no plans to change.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#351 OFFLINE   alirelan720

alirelan720

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

Same here. Well, until 2 weeks ago when I removed it entirely and now just use the HR34 ethernet jack. No more BB Deca and a couple less wires and a lot less heat being generated.

I think Mr. Alirelan720 needs to go through training again.

That would be Ms. and I already confirmed I was wrong, thanks!

#352 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:39 PM

I'm really talking about once you reach the end of your 2 year commitment or are close to it. They should treat you similar to a new customer. Then start offering you the new hardware at new customer pricing. Once you agree to it, they have you on another 2 year commitment.

I guess they kind of do that already, like the free HD DVR offer I have now. They should have given me an offer for the HR34 as well. I might have bit on that and re-upped for 2 more years, since I have no plans to change.

There's a big difference between someone who's outside of their 2 year commitment, myself several times over, and some of the people on here saying they've only been with DirecTV for a few weeks and still demanding credits, freebies, etc.

Outside of your 2 years you should get something, I agree. I'm not sure if that should be a free $399 device, free install and a free truck roll though.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#353 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

There's a big difference between someone who's outside of their 2 year commitment, myself several times over, and some of the people on here saying they've only been with DirecTV for a few weeks and still demanding credits, freebies, etc.

I can actually see the people who have only been there a few weeks complaining if they didn't get an HR34... then again, they should have done their homework when it came to checking out what equipment is available to them.

Aside from that, I agree regarding credits...

Outside of your 2 years you should get something, I agree. I'm not sure if that should be a free $399 device, free install and a free truck roll though.

Don't DirecTV subscribers get one FREE truck roll a year?!

If you simply need a receiver hooked up (SWiM already installed, etc.), a shipping charge could replace that, but my guess is that DirecTV feels they might save more money by doing a truck roll.

The HR34 is $399 when you are in contract. New customers get it discounted to $99 (a fair price for it given it's specs compared to the HR2x, IMHO). Personally... I think that's more than fair.

~Alan

#354 OFFLINE   llupin

llupin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

On the phone with CSR now. Asked for an HR34. Rep had no idea what I was talking about. He was ready to send me a new HD-Tivo DVR for $21.95 shipping charge.

#355 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,313 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:56 PM

This is exactly what I pushed. I have the option of a free HD DVR as well. I said I want something above that off a HR34. I got $300 off the HR34 and $29 off the install. They have came and gone today. I could not be happier with the HR34. Its amazing. Back to the old guide but oh well.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#356 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

Don't DirecTV subscribers get one FREE truck roll a year?!

I'm not sure if that's the case anymore for someone who doesn't have the protection plan.

If you simply need a receiver hooked up (SWiM already installed, etc.), a shipping charge could replace that, but my guess is that DirecTV feels they might save more money by doing a truck roll.

Well in the case of the HR34 they are just being cautious since most customers won't know SWiM from SWaM...

The HR34 is $399 when you are in contract. New customers get it discounted to $99 (a fair price for it given it's specs compared to the HR2x, IMHO). Personally... I think that's more than fair.

I completely agree. That's why I don't get the sense of entitlement some people in contract have.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#357 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

I'm not sure if that's the case anymore for someone who doesn't have the protection plan.

I don't have the protection plan, and that was what was told to me. Obviously, take it with a grain of salt, but I'm sure some might be able to verify that information.

Well in the case of the HR34 they are just being cautious since most customers won't know SWiM from SWaM...

Indeed, but I was referring to those with SWiM tagged on their account.

I completely agree. That's why I don't get the sense of entitlement some people in contract have.

My least favorite word again... :rolleyes:

I don't agree with people who constantly get credit after credit... but I personally have no issue with someone IN-CONTRACT attempting to get a discount on a piece of equipment at a discounted rate in return for an agreement of extending their contract for two years.

Granted, if you're a new customer and you're only six months into your contract, it's kind of :rolleyes: move, but if you're a longtime customer, I think it's fine.

Basically, I think "entitlement" is fine as long as you keep in mind that what kind of customer you are should reflect the "entitlement" you should reasonably expect.

~Alan<~~~~~~~~~~Who is aware that I used "should" one too many times in my last sentence...

#358 OFFLINE   alirelan720

alirelan720

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

I completely agree. That's why I don't get the sense of entitlement some people in contract have.[/QUOTE]

I don't get the sense of entitlement any of you people have at all, you pay for a service YOU want. You deserve what you are wililng to pay for, no if, ands, or buts about it.

#359 OFFLINE   BoJatey

BoJatey

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

Great customer since 2002. After being told by a horribly misinformed CSR that I needed a 6000 series Samsung TV to order the HR34

From what I understand, she was talking about RVU which means with compatible 6000 series Samsungs, you don't need receivers for the other rooms with the HMC34. I have the 8000 which is technically superior but not compatible so I had to go whole home setup with HD receivers for each room I wanted service for. Took two hours because he was new (so am I) but I got the 34 with two more HD receivers plus CCK for $148 plus tax and $19.95 for S&H. Anyone know more about RVU?

Edited by BoJatey, 13 February 2012 - 09:59 PM.
Misspelled Words

#360 OFFLINE   chris_h

chris_h

Mentor/Supporter

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:23 PM

I have had my account suspended for the past 6 months and just reactivated it. Got a free HR34 (but will have to wait until install day to confirm) and a free SWM, plus free movers connection HD dish and install. I'm paying $20 shipping fee and agreed to 2 year extention (which I understand is normal).

So glad to be done with comcast and their flakey DVR (sometimes it records, sometimes it dont!, ARGH).
Chris

spam firewall