Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1280 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Right, multiple people with long histories on a forum would come lie about getting a discount... Their motivation for that would be what, exactly? :lol: :confused: :eek2: :nono2:

Apparently you've never heard of sadists?! ;) :P

DBSTalk, AVS, SG, and TC are FULL of them! ;) :P :rolleyes: :D

~Alan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

I have been with DirecTV since they launched in 1994, almost 18 years, I have been out of contract for almost 3 years and I pay for the Premier package. They basically insulted me, they wanted $647 for the HR-34, 1 HD Reciever, the swim upgrade, install charges and some internet kit, which I don't think I need but they do and trading in my old receivers. No offense but being out of contract for as long as I have and being with them for 18 years should get a little more respect. When I called in 3 weeks ago and was told at that time to call back today I was told they would discount for a person of my account standing. Gratz to the people who did get discounts and good luck to those trying, for the first time ever I am thinking of going to dish and getting the hopper when it comes out instead, at least they have BBC America in HD.

Call and ask for 'Retention' and explain what you did here. ;)

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#23 OFFLINE   bosoxfan

bosoxfan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

I think the key is to call and say cancel for reason you are calling, cancel again when they ask to confirm (automated system), and then when you get the CSR on the phone, be polite. If you get someone who refuses to budge on the full retail price, say no thanks and call back. Be persistent. A few phone calls is worth the discount!!!

#24 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

I called this morning and got a nice CSR in Virginia. He offered me the $99.00 price but said someone would call me back within 24 hours to complete the order because they were getting slammed with requests. Let's see if I get a call.

#25 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

I have been with DirecTV since they launched in 1994, almost 18 years, I have been out of contract for almost 3 years and I pay for the Premier package. They basically insulted me, they wanted $647 for the HR-34, 1 HD Reciever, the swim upgrade, install charges and some internet kit, which I don't think I need but they do and trading in my old receivers. No offense but being out of contract for as long as I have and being with them for 18 years should get a little more respect. When I called in 3 weeks ago and was told at that time to call back today I was told they would discount for a person of my account standing. Gratz to the people who did get discounts and good luck to those trying, for the first time ever I am thinking of going to dish and getting the hopper when it comes out instead, at least they have BBC America in HD.

Same here. 16 years for me. Just got off the phone - $649! Cinema connection kit $100 (not sure what that is, I'll have to look it up), upgrade fee $50 (I bought a Nomad, so they count that as an upgrade in the last year!), connect to a TV fee $50 (what?), installation fee $50, receiver fee $399 = $649.

They told me I would own the HR34 after about 2.5 years paying the lease fee - doesn't sound right to me.

Anyway, out of my price range, and very disappointing they don't offer veteran customers with perfect payment histories over 16 years a better offer. For the first time in all those years, I am seriously considering exploring my other options. Then maybe whan I come back as a new customer for football season I can get one of those sweet deals.:nono2:

Oh, and I've had their HR20-100 since they day they rolled it out as a beta test box - what was that, like 5 years ago? Any I pay for the protection plan, which I do not see benfitting me in any way.

Edited by BuffaloDenny, 09 February 2012 - 02:30 PM.
update

HR20-100S/Seagate
H20-100
Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Plasma
Pioneer Elite AVR SC-05
Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray

#26 OFFLINE   MrLatte

MrLatte

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

They're probably talking semantics here. People get a $300 account "credit" so they aren't officially getting the HR34 for $99.

#27 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,451 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

I need to get another one...glad they are finally available. :)
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#28 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

:nono2: Yeah me too. I got no break at all. I've been with DTV for over 2 weeks and could not get anything. I'm not paying $399 for a leased DVR. If this is how DTV treats new customers I'll be back with Dish soon.

You're kidding right? Two weeks? :rolleyes:
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#29 OFFLINE   MrLatte

MrLatte

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

Also, there's no way I'm letting them "install" this for me. I have a SWM16 and DECA already. I might just have to buy through SS.

#30 OFFLINE   cardinalryan

cardinalryan

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

I just spoke with a regular CSR and then a retention rep and was told both times that there is no discount for existing customers. (I have had Directv for 5+ years)

In fact, the retention rep told me that they have not given any discounts to any existing customers and he said that anyone who said otherwise was not telling the truth.

He said that since it just came out today, there will be no discounts, and when I mentioned that people are reporting that they are getting discounts, he stated that he was monitoring dbstalk.com (he spelled the site out for me) and that he knows for a fact that the people on here are "reporting untruths".

Quite an interesting conversation. Needless to say, I wasn't happy about it.

I have never had anyone call me a liar. I can promise you that I was given a new HR-34 this morning for free and I only have to pay the $49 installation fee. Bottom line is this, if they didn't give it to me, I was going to cancel. I let them know that I thought it was unfair that I had been a customer for almost seven years and that I wouldn't hesitate to jump to Dish if they didn't give me the HR-34. Not only did they give me the HR-34, they threw in MLB extra innings at no cost. Since they can't "give" these things away, they charged me, then issued a full credit on my account.

Edited by cardinalryan, 09 February 2012 - 03:09 PM.
misspelling

#31 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

:nono2: Yeah me too. I got no break at all. I've been with DTV for over 2 weeks and could not get anything. I'm not paying $399 for a leased DVR. If this is how DTV treats new customers I'll be back with Dish soon.

You have been with them for 2Weeks +
You are locked in for two years commitment.

Where is there any incentive for them to give you more now. The time was when you were signing up, then they wanted to get you under contract and you had the power. Now they have the power of a Commitment with a early termination fee.

When you see what it would cost to go back to Dish with the ETF from DirecTV, My guess is you will stay where you are. And they know it.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#32 OFFLINE   LoopinFool

LoopinFool

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

I'm glad, too. I forgot today was "the day".

My external drive is doing better after some more scrubbing with SpinRite. We're super busy right now, so I think I'll let the dust settle a bit before upgrading to the new box. But my trusty old HR20-700 is starting to feel a bit long-in-the-tooth.

When the HR24 came out I was excited that our next box would probably be nice and small, but an HR34 + AM21 combo will be huge compared to the HR20! Should be worth it for the 3 extra tuners and future WH expandability.

Time to hunker down and watch all our recordings (too busy, though) so we can simply swap out the DVR. :eek2:

- LoopinFool

#33 OFFLINE   Guentha

Guentha

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

New here. Signed up just to let people know $99 is a reality for existing customers (service since 2008)
$99 is possible but you must talk to retention department. Call, say retention. It will ask if you want to change programing or cancel service. Say cancel. you will be handed to a retention rep. explain that it is ridiculous that loyal customers already had to wait while new customer had this box for month plus we have to pay far more and still sign the same 2 year contract.

i just got mine ordered and I got a sweet retention rep. she was cool and explained she thought it was ridiculous as well. You do however have to have their Pro install at $49 so total is around $160.

I have several friends that install Dtv service and they are all bummed because they can’t get them till march. yet they have to install them for customers. if you ask me that is even dumber. Installers should know the in's and out's of a machine before "installing" it for other people. What if they have questions?

• 5x HR24-700
• 1x HR34-XXX
• JVC DLA-RS4000 Projector
• Onkyo Tx-5009 Receiver
• 7x QSC 1450HD Amplifiers
• QSC 5050HD Amplifier

#34 OFFLINE   drewx420

drewx420

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

I called earlier today after reading about the discounts in the other thread. Subscriber for 12 yrs and out of contract. Immediately bypassed CSR for Retention. Initially was told that there were no price reductions. I asked him to check with his supervisor given my history with DTV. Came back with free installation but no price reduction on HR34. I told him about reported $300 rebates on dbstalk.com and asked him politely to check again and see if that is happening. After several minutes he returned and offered $250 off with free install and cck. Total out of pocket $150.50. Install on Feb. 14. It pays to be patient but persistent. I suspect they also may have been inundated with requests for discounts and may have put a red light on anything going forward until the figure out a policy.

#35 OFFLINE   Doom878

Doom878

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

So how much are they charging your credit cards? $399 or $99?

#36 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

I thought they might have a promo price for HR34 on some accounts. I still have the Free DVR offer, but the HR34 says "Coming in early 2012" with no price.

Attached Thumbnails

• DVR.PNG
  • HMC.PNG

HR34-700, HR22-100

#37 OFFLINE   tonypitt

tonypitt

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

I just experienced an afternoon of extreme incompetence thanks to DirecTV customer service. I called in to place an order for an HR 34. After speaking with the representative and having her speak with her supervisor, she indicated that she could sell me the HR 34 for $99.99. I had her confirm this with her supervisor and she came back after about 5 minutes and told me that was accurate.

As she was keying in the order she kept referring to it as the "HR 34 Tivo". I told her this wasn't a Tivo and she said "right, this is the new media center with 5 tuners." She kept calling it a Tivo to the point that I had her again confirm with her supervisor that she was keying in the right item. She came back and said she was.

I pay and get transferred to third party order confirmation. She didn't order an HR 34 for me, but rather a Tivo. The third party person couldn't resolve the issue but said she'd call me back. No call back.

I just now called customer service again and after 90 minutes (of which at least 60 minute was time I was on hold), they said there was nothing they could do.

The last representative swore to me that no one was getting any kind of discount on this item regardless of account longevity or any other factors. I wouldn't be upset about any of this if it wasn't for the gross incompetence of the first representative despite my repeated attempts to resolve this and verify I was ordering the right item. I have wasted an inordinate amount of time this afternooon just trying to do business with DirecTV and then correct their mistakes.

#38 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,180 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

Call again and talk to someone else. Also, have you called in and gotten any discounts recently? That can have an affect as well.

#39 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,180 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

I have never had anyone call me a liar. I can promise you that I was given a new HR-34 this morning for free and I only have to pay the $49 installation fee. Bottom line is this, if they didn't give it to me, I was going to cancel. I let them know that I thought it was unfair that I had been a customer for almost seven years and that I wouldn't hesitate to jump to Dish if they didn't give me the HR-34. Not only did they give me the HR-34, they threw in MLB extra innings at no cost. Since they can't "give" these things away, they charged me, then issued a full credit on my account.

Honestly, I believe that lots of people will get discounts on these, etc, but I have a hard time with all the stuff they gave you for free. I'd watch my bill if I where you and see if some fees don't pop up, that just doesn't sound right. I not saying they didn't say that to you.. Bt what you actually get could be something else entirely.

#40 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

Doesn't getting new hardware like this extend your contract commitment for 2 years?
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...