Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1280 replies to this topic

#461 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

Customer since 10/98. With premier the whole time. First call said "upgrade". Csr said 199. Turned it down. Called today said cancel and and was offered 99 free whole home cck and free install. It was her first time selling the hr34. Glad some of you guys were wrong about no discounts a few weeks back. :-) The Csr never knows what you say at the prompts. So saying cancel doesn't mean anything.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#462 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

Since a lot of people have been experiencing confusing from DIRECTV CSRs today, here is the official word on HR34 pricing from someone who really knows.

The HR34 box is $399 and is available starting today for existing customers
There is a $300 rebate for NEW customers only.
Select customers may be eligible for a lower price. This varies depending on your history with DIRECTV.

There is no rebate program for existing customers.

Stuart posted this on the first post of this thread and it is correct. Pricing for existing customers will either be...399., 199. or 99. depending upon their account status. Anything else is being given against policy. Several months back we received a communication that said we were not to use discretionary credits for equipment orders and to go with the prices in the ordering system. That being said and as I've stated before some CSR's will extend credit beyond guidelines established by DTV to avoid conflict and yes, it could eventually count against you. (See the flagged for excessive credit thread... http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=201812 being discussed here
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#463 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

^^punctuation better?
hahahahaha

#464 OFFLINE   dwneylonsr

dwneylonsr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:42 PM

I'm not arguing really about $199 plus $49 installation. That's not unreasonable. However $49 additional installation for each receiver already installed? Doesn't sound right to me.

#465 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

Yeah im 99.9% sure its not...but I'm on my days off..I'll pm you if you can wait a couple days or I will post back here when i find out for sure. Best of my recollection thet only additional TV cost is the 6. per month for RVU TVs. But, again not 100% certain I can let you know by the weekend. If the receivers are already there theres no installation, assuming you are on a swm system andf already have whole home.

#466 OFFLINE   dwneylonsr

dwneylonsr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

Thanks wahooq. I may just call again this evening, but I'm in no rush.

#467 OFFLINE   Bosjoe

Bosjoe

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:23 PM

Stuart posted this on the first post of this thread and it is correct. Pricing for existing customers will either be...399., 199. or 99. depending upon their account status. Anything else is being given against policy. Several months back we received a communication that said we were not to use discretionary credits for equipment orders and to go with the prices in the ordering system. That being said and as I've stated before some CSR's will extend credit beyond guidelines established by DTV to avoid conflict and yes, it could eventually count against you. (See the flagged for excessive credit thread...

OR FREE, Installed today

Get more from DIRECTV and sign up
for special offers and useful information.

ORDER INFORMATION

Order Date: 02/14/2012

Address:LOWELL, MA 01851

YOUR EQUIPMENT SELECTION

1DIRECTV® HMC HD DVR$199.00

1Sales Order Credit-$199.00
Equipment Total$0.00

ADDITIONAL

Installation Fee $49.00
Delivery & Handling Fee $0.00
Tax $0.00
Sales Order Credit -$49.00
Order Total Paid*$0.00
*Reflects total amount paid at initial time of order. This is not a bill; please do not send any payment to DIRECTV.

#468 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

i was discussing existing customer offers...there is no free offer per policy...but congrats it is really cool you will enjoy it!

#469 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

I've been watching this thread but holding off doing anything since I figure I'm out. In December I got rid of an SD DVR and SD receiver and replaced them both with HD versions of the same. Got the CCK and signed up for Whole Home. Got a decent deal on the new boxes and CCK so again I figured I was SOL as far as getting anything else from D* this early. However I went to D*'s site and looked and they're still offering me the HD DVR at a reduced price ($99). Is this common for everyone? If I still have some wiggle room left on my account I'll call.

#470 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

It never hurts to call and ask. And don't say "Cancel" to the automated menu. Simply say "new equipment" and it will put you right through to a CSR. When the CSR only wants to tell you the HR34 is $399 with no discounts, then just tell them you wish to speak with the cancellation department.

Once you get transferred the cancellation rep will ask why you're cancelling. Tell them it's because you want the HR34 but not for $399. The cancellation rep will then offer you $199. To that you reply "I appreciate that as it's a better offer, but I really need to get it for the $99 I've seen advertised for new customers. I'm not asking for a better deal than that; I just want to get the same deal as a loyal customer." At that point you will either get the $99 price or the rep will counter you one more time for $149. Also don't forget that there will be a $49 installation fee. They can waive this fee also if you demand it strong enough.

It all comes down to how well you negotiate. Here is what I was able to get:

ORDER INFORMATION

Order Date: 02/09/2012

YOUR EQUIPMENT SELECTION

1 DIRECTV® HMC HD DVR $399.00

1 Sales Order Credit -$300.00

Equipment Total $99.00

ADDITIONAL

Installation Fee $0.00
Delivery & Handling Fee $0.00
Tax $8.17
Order Total Paid* $107.17

*Reflects total amount paid at initial time of order. This is not a bill; please do not send any payment to DIRECTV.

#471 OFFLINE   patyoung

patyoung

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

I tried twice, but both times the best they would do was 199 and potentially a free install, but maybe that wouldn't even be free since I don't have SWM yet. I was holding out for 99, but I think I'll end up taking the 199 as long as the install is free.

#472 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:15 PM

I'll be joining the HR34 club ...

During a very short and pleasant call I was offered a price of $99 for the HR34 (after $100 credit) plus $49 for installation plus tax. Grand total: $160.76.

Why the $49 install? You're just going to deactivate two DVRs and hook up the 34 in their place. Any new wiring?

#473 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,658 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

Why the $49 install? You're just going to deactivate two DVRs and hook up the 34 in their place. Any new wiring?

There is no reason he couldn't do it himself other than a stupid DirecTV policy. He already has a SWM16. And he'll know more than the tech.

#474 OFFLINE   LoopinFool

LoopinFool

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

There is no reason he couldn't do it himself other than a stupid DirecTV policy. He already has a SWM16. And he'll know more than the tech.

Yeah, I wish I had done mine...

Tech came out this morning to fix a flaky recording issue on our old HR20, now connected to a SWiM dish. After replacing everything but the DVR, we decided it really was the HR20 that was flaky.
Since I wanted an HR34 for the extra tuners I called retention while the tech was still there. CSR insisted "no discount offers, because it's so new." The tech left the repair order open and left the house so I could call again and later decide between an HR24 swap or the HR34. He had never installed an HR34 and I think he hoped I'd get one.

CSR roulette - 3rd time's the charm. Second CSR had same story as the first. Third just plain sounded more helpful right away. She did all she could (maximum $360 off according to her) and got it down to just over $200. Then we went through all that was on the order and she noticed two $49 installation charges. She was able to credit for one of them and get us down to the $148+tax we've been seeing here. The same tech found us an HR34 at their warehouse and came back later to install it. He removed the unnecessary CCK and a bunch of other strange stuff on the work order, including an RVU client install!

Why I wish I had done it myself...before I got home from work to supervise, the tech had fired up the new HR34...with our old eSATA drive connected to it.
For those that don't know, the D* DVRs will notice that the external drive is not "paired to" that receiver and will format it without prompting. 750Gig drive, 90% full before, and now empty. We were mainly keeping the old HR20 so we could watch some of our older recorded shows and movies.

I guess he saved us some time... :bang

- LoopinFool

PS - Forgot to order an AM21 the first time being distracted by all that was going on. I later called D* and asked if they could add it to my order. Once she found it in the system, she created a new order and it is being shipped to us for free!

#475 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,658 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

I paid full price for mine, but it's almost worth it, just because I could install it myself.

#476 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

I paid full price for mine, but it's almost worth it, just because I could install it myself.

Same here, and to boot, I didnt have to take a whole unpaid day off of work hoping they had the right one on their truck :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#477 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,658 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

Exactly. My last forced tech install went so badly, I would avoid it at all costs.

#478 OFFLINE   El Vato

El Vato

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

So the tech, Alan, got here at 1100 today. He though it would be a two hour install, but turned into a four hour marathon...but succesful.

He replaced the LNB, installed the SWM16, completely cleaned up the original install wiring from three years ago (looked like a hanging bowl of spaghetti), realigned the dish (95+ on all transponders now), and connected all receivers.

He also went as far as replacing a flaky HR22-100 in our bedroom that periodically locks up with an HR24-200. Can't say too many good things about this guy...great job, professional, and double and triple checked everything before he left. This guy knows his stuff.

New setup:
HR22-100 (owned)
HR24-200 (owned)
HR24-200 (owned)
HR24-500 (owned)
HR34-700 (leased)

#479 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

The charge is likely because I told the CSR my plan was to return two receivers but that I would need a few weeks to clean programming off, so temporarily I would be over 16 tuners active. She said the tech would be able to take care of that (I know ... promises, promises - if it's not on the work order, the tech may not be doing anything special) so I want to see what the tech will do for that $49 service fee.

I called today to reschedule from March 3 to this Saturday (no reason not to get it now and start putting Series Links on it), and the funny thing is the automated system told me the installation of the HR34 will take 30 minutes. Since it takes about 10 minutes for a receiver just to cold-boot, that must be one fast-tech they plan on sending to me ... :)

#480 OFFLINE   specialkd24

specialkd24

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

I posted on Saturday when I ordered, but I got mine for $99 (free installation). I have had DirecTV for 4 years, but have been out-of-contact for 2 years and have never asked for anything before.

The installer came today, installed a SWIM, added a Deca to my HR-21 and installed the HR-34. Took about an hour and 15 minutes total. Everything is working perfect now. Glad I waited to get the whole home now when I got the HR-34.

I'm very happy with DirecTV right now.

spam firewall