Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1280 replies to this topic

#541 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,955 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

But now, after researching options, I may not be so eager to sign up for another 2-year commitment. Ceton showed a prototype 6-tuner DVR with what is expected to be cheap media extender (it's based on Windows 7 Embedded platform). So while I like D* TV service and PQ, if I went to Comcast, I could vastly upgrade my broadband over my Uverse for less than what I pay D* and Uverse now.

You're wanting a cheap deal on a HR34, but you're willing to buy a Centon DVR? :lol: The extenders are "affordable," but I bet the DVR will easily cost $650+. The 4 tuner PC card costs $300 and that's just a card!
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#542 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

Well I could re-sell it.

Plus the monthly charges would be much less than what I'm paying for D* and broadband. There would not be any kind of monthly fees for DVR service, since the guide data is free. Plus supposedly WMC UI is faster than other DVRs, especially changing channels.

#543 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,955 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

Well I could re-sell it.

Plus the monthly charges would be much less than what I'm paying for D* and broadband. There would not be any kind of monthly fees for DVR service, since the guide data is free. Plus supposedly WMC UI is faster than other DVRs, especially changing channels.

You can get an owned HR34 if you PM JerryK for information.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#544 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

I may look into that. Would that mean I wouldn't have to pay any mirroring fee for that unit?

I need SWiM installed though and also, if I activated the HR34 that I owned, I would still be committing for 2 years, right?

#545 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,436 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

I may look into that. Would that mean I wouldn't have to pay any mirroring fee for that unit?

I need SWiM installed though and also, if I activated the HR34 that I owned, I would still be committing for 2 years, right?

You still have to pay a monthly fee, regardless of whether or not it's owned.

No commitment for activating and owned receiver.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#546 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,098 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

No, you still have to pay mirroring fee.

Yes, SWiM is necessary.

No commitment for owned.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#547 OFFLINE   j4quattro

j4quattro

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

Almost had my HR34 today. Installer called and no HR34 till Tuesday. Called D and got 1 month free Showtime for the inconvenience. Can't complain my HR34 is only costing $99. Looking forward to it. I hope Tuesday works out.

#548 OFFLINE   mikegold

mikegold

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

Got my HR34 on Thursday. Installers showed up early, replaced SwM LNB with regular LNB, installed SwM 16, new power inserter, replaced old ethernet DECA with new broadband DECA.

So far, so good!

#549 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:42 PM

Be patient it's a new process and I doubt many people have even see the fees for RVU yet alone enabled or disabled them. You might want to tell them that your order was seup with an RVU install which was wrong but you just need to have the DIRECTV Home Media Center service removed. This might help.

I'm having a hard time getting this charge removed from my account. I've gone through 2 regular CSR' -- one of whom insisted that the Home Media Center charge is required for anyone to have an HR34 regardless of whether you have an RVU client or not. I finally got frustrated & called back & did the cancel twice to get to retention. I explained the situation & he said that he understood what I was saying & that he could not tell me for sure that the charge is not required whether even if you don't have an RVU client. He did say that the installer did remove the line item for an RVU install & now the CSR has me on hold while he does more research.

For anyone who has ordered an HR34 -- double check your order & double check your fees afterwards. I'll post the result of this call when it is finished.

Ok -- after 30 minutes of time, the retention CSR was able to remove the RVU from my account. He had me verify that all of my receivers still worked before we finished the call. He was very nice & patient & I made it a point to stay very nice & patient as well, even to the previous CSR's who did not understand the situation. I'm glad my account is now back to normal :-).

Edited by HDJulie, 18 February 2012 - 06:02 PM.

#550 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

I looked into this some time ago. So to clear up the mystery.

That dealer wants $549. So decide if its worth avoiding a commitment for that if people are getting these for $99 to $199 leased. Either way the monthly is the same.

BTW the dealer was not able to disclose any RID ahead of time to verify with the Access Card Dept. So it would be helpful to get more references on this before jumping in.

Not saying he does or doesn't have an owned unit but it is expensive and would like to see some more folks verifying this if one has to spend $549.

#551 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,955 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

That dealer wants $549. So decide if its worth avoiding a commitment for that if people are getting these for $99 to $199 leased. Either way the monthly is the same.

BTW the dealer was not able to disclose any RID ahead of time to verify with the Access Card Dept. So it would be helpful to get more references on this before jumping in.

Not saying he does or doesn't have an owned unit but it is expensive and would like to see some more folks verifying this if one has to spend $549.

Yeah it's some very shady dealer workings. I'll PM you.

#552 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:34 AM

Yeah it's some very shady dealer workings. I'll PM you.

There have been some policy changes in regards to accounts that used to convert receivers to owned automatically. It's possible that going forward a receiver received from one of these accounts may be refused to be activated. So buyer beware on this.

You could call up and see if there is a purchase price for the HR34 through DIRECTV.

There is not a purchase option throught DIRECTV for this receiver.

Edited by Shades228, 20 February 2012 - 09:47 PM.
Clafiried no purchase option.

#553 OFFLINE   Doom878

Doom878

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:20 AM

Why would they remove whole home if they require you to have it for an hr34? They thought he was running rvu?

#554 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:32 AM

Why would they remove whole home if they require you to have it for an hr34? They thought he was running rvu?

Yes.

They de-activated whole home and set my account as "RVU Only" and when that's set you can't turn whole-home on, and it charges you more too. She turned that off and got me all set up!

#555 OFFLINE   Bill Van

Bill Van

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, Va.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

I'm writing a review on DirecTV's HR34 and would like to see a spec sheet. I noticed the First Look review here was locked down. Does anyone know where I can find more info to help with my review? Sorry if I should be on another tread.

#556 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

A simple Google search for "HMC HR34 specifications" came up with this link.

#557 OFFLINE   nsykes

nsykes

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

After a long day on the phones with multiple people DTV came through. Basically the quote I was given last night was notated in my account because systems were down and the order couldn't be placed.

Called early this morning to finish it and was basically told I was given an incorrect price & there was no way they could do it. After a back and forth with supervisors and multiple calls they were able to give me very close to what was notated last night.

HMC for $99. Install for $49. CCK was credited. Install is on Sunday.

Pretty excited for the new setup. When done I will have the HMC and 2 HR24's. They noted on the order to bring the SWM16 :) Thanks DTV!

Installer calls at 8am (supposed to come between noon and 4) says he can't find a HR34 in the whole state of AZ. Says he has already installed about 15 of them. Has to re-schedule the install for when he gets the equipment. You think they would know this when they schedule stuff?? Kind of bummed. Was really looking forward to playing with my new toy today :(

#558 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

Installer calls at 8am (supposed to come between noon and 4) says he can't find a HR34 in the whole state of AZ. Says he has already installed about 15 of them. Has to re-schedule the install for when he gets the equipment. You think they would know this when they schedule stuff?? Kind of bummed. Was really looking forward to playing with my new toy today :(

No. Completely separate entities in play there.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#559 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

In my area (Dallas, TX) I was one of the first to order an HR34 the day of it was made available to existing customers (February 9). My install was 2 fays later on Saturday, February 11. The installer told me I was very fortunate that I ordered an HR34 when I did as his warehouse was out of them as of February 11 and on top of that they were also completely out of the SWiM16 modules needed to run the HR34. Said a lot of customers were upset like yourself having to reschedule and wait for back-ordered equipment. You'll just have to be patient even though I know how much that sucks - LOL

#560 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,104 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

I have a feeling that supply is going to get real tight on these things real fast now. And they haven't even started advertising it yet... ( on tv. I don't count their website in this.)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...