Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1280 replies to this topic

#561 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

My installers (I had 2) told me on Tuesday that the HR34 I got was suppose to go to an employee, but now he would have to wait. They also said that had no HR24's that all they were getting was referb 21,22. & 23's.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#562 OFFLINE   Mr. Tact

Mr. Tact

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

I'm planning on switching over to DTV, in part to get the HR-34. I've been a ReplayTV guy for many years, and I'm finally ready to make the leap to HD. So anyway, I actually read all 23 pages of posts to this topic tonight. And yet, I still have a question.

Assuming I have 8 or fewer tuners, and hence only need a SWM-8, not a SWM-16 -- what are the pros and cons for having SWM LNB vs having the SWM device somewhere "down the line"?

#563 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,688 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

What are the chances you may go over 8 tuners in the future and self install? Directv will only install the SWM LNB.

#564 OFFLINE   tsbrady1

tsbrady1

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:27 AM

Had my install yesterday, replaced 2 HR20-700's with an HR-34 and an H25, install was outstanding, the best D* tech I have ever had, he even tweeked the dish in a cold steady rain. He told me that I got the last HR-34 they had (Mastec in Gwinnett Co, Ga) and also said that home networking was wildly popular and they were running out of supplies particularly Deca's, he said he had no idea when they would get more HR-34's in, he said it may be awhile. Very happy so far!

#565 OFFLINE   sturub

sturub

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:46 AM

long time customer -$199 plu 49 installed..goes in next friday

#566 OFFLINE   Bofurley

Bofurley

Godfather

• Registered
  • 321 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:47 AM

What is RVU?
I plan on calling today to see what I can get for yore HR34.
My commitment is up June this year.
Thanks

#567 OFFLINE   Mr. Tact

Mr. Tact

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:53 AM

What is RVU? Thanks

Remote Viewing Unit (At least that's what I've always read it as)

#568 OFFLINE   Mr. Tact

Mr. Tact

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:04 AM

What are the chances you may go over 8 tuners in the future and self install? Directv will only install the SWM LNB.

Interesting. If anything I was actually concerned the SWM LNBs would be difficult to get. I was guessing they were a "better" solution and hence less available or had an upgrade charge. Likelihood of more than 8 tuners is low, I've been "struggling" along with only two Replays for a while now -- so, the 5 tuner HR-34 should be satisfactory.

I have to admit though, just considering the question has me wondering if I should get two HR-34s just for kicks and giggles. :hurah:

#569 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,688 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:47 AM

If your order takes you to 8 tuners or less, you'll get the SWM LNB. If the order takes you over that, you get a standard LNB and a SWM16.

#570 OFFLINE   Mr. Tact

Mr. Tact

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

Alright, thanks.

BTW -- When I click on the the link in your signature "My Setup" -- I get an error page telling me I "do not have permission to access this page." Is that actually a problem with my privileges or a problem with the link? :confused:

(I would have PM'd this to you, but I don't have enough posts to PM yet.)

#571 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:17 AM

Hmm, after emailing D* about not getting good pricing, they emailed back and said they have to offer good deals to acquire new customers. However, they said "tenured" customers can accrue "more discounted and free promotional offers than a new customer."

So they invite me to call a special number with a PIN code to find out what they could offer me.

Of course, I had pointed out I could save money by switching to Dish or Comcast.

But like I said, this may not be the time to commit to 2-years, with some potentially interesting products due out later this year.

#572 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

Remote Viewing Unit (At least that's what I've always read it as)

Actually it doesn't stand for anything and is pronounced "R-view."

It's the technology that will eventually allow the HR34 to supply programming to TVs without any external box.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#573 OFFLINE   MrD1sturbed

MrD1sturbed

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:33 AM

Getting my HR34 installed as we speak. Tech needed to swap out my SWM8 for a 16, everything else was a simple receiver swap. So far so good.

#574 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:42 AM

Alright, thanks.

BTW -- When I click on the the link in your signature "My Setup" -- I get an error page telling me I "do not have permission to access this page." Is that actually a problem with my privileges or a problem with the link? :confused:

(I would have PM'd this to you, but I don't have enough posts to PM yet.)

It's permissions.

In order to see posts in the Cutting Edge forum (where his set up is located), you have to agree to the terms of that area.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#575 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:58 PM

Interesting. If anything I was actually concerned the SWM LNBs would be difficult to get. I was guessing they were a "better" solution and hence less available or had an upgrade charge. Likelihood of more than 8 tuners is low, I've been "struggling" along with only two Replays for a while now -- so, the 5 tuner HR-34 should be satisfactory.

I have to admit though, just considering the question has me wondering if I should get two HR-34s just for kicks and giggles. :hurah:

But as was also mentioned, if you Never do self installs, don't worry about it. If you get one hr34 now and add a second simetime int he future, they will upgrade the swim wi the additional unit, as needed.

#576 OFFLINE   drew64

drew64

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

Well got my hr34 installed today. Installer was good. Basically just had to switch lbn on dish then connect receiver. He did hook up the cinema kit but did not need to have it. Miss the HD guide but like the recording of 5 shows at once and pip. Wish there was a way to set which dvr to record to but don't see that option. Just waiting for all GUide data to update so can set my to do list up again

#577 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

But as was also mentioned, if you Never do self installs, don't worry about it. If you get one hr34 now and add a second simetime int he future, they will upgrade the swim wi the additional unit, as needed.

You can only have 1 leased HR34 on the account through DIRECTV.

#578 OFFLINE   alirelan720

alirelan720

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

You can only have 1 leased HR34 on the account through DIRECTV.

Why would you only be able to have one on an account?

#579 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,688 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

It's not that, DirecTV won't let you get a second one from them. You'd have to get it from someone else. I believe there are already one or two people here with two.

#580 OFFLINE   alirelan720

alirelan720

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

Installer calls at 8am (supposed to come between noon and 4) says he can't find a HR34 in the whole state of AZ. Says he has already installed about 15 of them. Has to re-schedule the install for when he gets the equipment. You think they would know this when they schedule stuff?? Kind of bummed. Was really looking forward to playing with my new toy today :(

Directv has no information on what receivers are in the warehouse closest to your technician, no way to know if an hr-34 is not available or not, that would have to be the technicians fault. He should have called a lot sooner than that.

spam firewall