Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1280 replies to this topic

#581 OFFLINE   alirelan720

alirelan720

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

It's not that, DirecTV won't let you get a second one from them. You'd have to get it from someone else. I believe there are already one or two people here with two.

With it being so new, I would imagine there being some kind of restrictions but I can' imagine they would not allow more than 1.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#582 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 921 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

yep only one per account and no way to legally own one at this time
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#583 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:52 PM

yep only one per account and no way to legally own one at this time

This is not entirely accurate.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#584 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 921 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:13 PM

yeah it is pretty much untill later in the year

#585 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:29 PM

yeah it is pretty much untill later in the year

Respectfully this statement is not true. There is not a time frame that would change the statement's validity either. There are already owned receivers out there that are ok to own which could be sold or transfered without issue. There are people on this site with owned HR34's that could do this, not including Jerry K, without any issue.

Perhaps you meant that existing/new customers now do not have an authorized way to order a NIB owned HR34.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#586 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 921 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

Respectfully it is true but as we all know there are more than one way to skin a cat if you want to pm me ill tell you where to find to correct info

#587 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:57 AM

Respectfully this statement is not true. There is not a time frame that would change the statement's validity either. There are already owned receivers out there that are ok to own which could be sold or transfered without issue. There are people on this site with owned HR34's that could do this, not including Jerry K, without any issue.

Perhaps you meant that existing/new customers now do not have an authorized way to order a NIB owned HR34.

Now that is funny right there.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#588 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,734 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:59 AM

Respectfully it is true but as we all know there are more than one way to skin a cat if you want to pm me ill tell you where to find to correct info

People have legally owned hr34 units that can be transferred to other accounts right now. That is a fact. No need to skin a cat. I won't say there is many of them though, because there is not, but I do know some of the people with them... :)

#589 OFFLINE   DaaQ

DaaQ

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:53 AM

Directv has no information on what receivers are in the warehouse closest to your technician, no way to know if an hr-34 is not available or not, that would have to be the technicians fault. He should have called a lot sooner than that.

This would NOT be the technicians fault. FYI the tech does not know who's home they are going to or what equipment will be needed until that morning. So 8 am is about as early as its gonna get for a phone call. Unless you want them to call you after midnight in some areas or after 3 am in others depending on what system scheduler they are on. But I dont know of any that will wake up just to check the route in the middle of the night.

#590 OFFLINE   njfoses

njfoses

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:39 AM

Is anybody enjoying their hr34 trouble free? The "issues" thread is loaded with boxes freezing, mrv not working properly etc. Not being able to watch recorded shows from other boxes reliably is a deal breaker for me right now. Seems like a wait and see approach might be best here.
Joined The Directv Family 9-11-07

au9 Dish
Mrv via deca
HR20
HR24
H24

E-A-G-L-E-S!!

#591 OFFLINE   huskerhead

huskerhead

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:35 AM

Is anybody enjoying their hr34 trouble free? The "issues" thread is loaded with boxes freezing, mrv not working properly etc. Not being able to watch recorded shows from other boxes reliably is a deal breaker for me right now. Seems like a wait and see approach might be best here.

Not too happy with mine yet (had it installed Friday and have made two calls to Directv already) but hear the update will address many issues. I'm willing to wait out the bugs since they installed the 34 and another HR-24 for $99 total and free installation.

#592 OFFLINE   Bill Van

Bill Van

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, Va.

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:33 AM

Thanks trh for the info. DirecTV added a page on their website for the HMC HD DVR and Dishbuys website is being helpful too. Btw Swanni at TV Predictions has a story today mentioning DBS Talk and user Satellite Radar, "Will DirecTV add two more HD channels soon? Is there a way to change my user name from all caps. If so please let me know.

#593 OFFLINE   bosoxfan

bosoxfan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

I am loving mine. I just wish the HD GUI would hurry up an get finalized for the 34. No problems with freezing up, no problems with MRV (we watch the shows off our HR22 via the 34). Whatever the issues, rest assured D*tv will fix them with software updates.

#594 OFFLINE   bamahd

bamahd

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

Do you have to own a 6000 series Samsung TV or don't you? I was told that you did so I gave it up. Was it a CSR attempting to get rid of me? I am willing to add another 2 years to my contract and pay big money for this receiver. Is it worth it? Does it do what DTV says it will do? Thanks to anyone that takes the time to reply to this.

#595 OFFLINE   alirelan720

alirelan720

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

This would NOT be the technicians fault. FYI the tech does not know who's home they are going to or what equipment will be needed until that morning. So 8 am is about as early as its gonna get for a phone call. Unless you want them to call you after midnight in some areas or after 3 am in others depending on what system scheduler they are on. But I dont know of any that will wake up just to check the route in the middle of the night.

I worded that wrong, I tend to ramble. When an order is set up through a website or CSR they have no way of knowing if the equipment is available or not, they only know when a technician is available to do it.

#596 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,717 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:14 AM

Do you have to own a 6000 series Samsung TV or don't you? I was told that you did so I gave it up. Was it a CSR attempting to get rid of me? I am willing to add another 2 years to my contract and pay big money for this receiver. Is it worth it? Does it do what DTV says it will do? Thanks to anyone that takes the time to reply to this.

No, you do not need a 6000 series Samsung for an HR34. The HR34 has an HDMI output just like all the rest of the units and can be used on any HDTV.

I had that argument with a CSR as well.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#597 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 853 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

I'm having a hard time getting this charge removed from my account. I've gone through 2 regular CSR' -- one of whom insisted that the Home Media Center charge is required for anyone to have an HR34 regardless of whether you have an RVU client or not. I finally got frustrated & called back & did the cancel twice to get to retention. I explained the situation & he said that he understood what I was saying & that he could not tell me for sure that the charge is not required whether even if you don't have an RVU client. He did say that the installer did remove the line item for an RVU install & now the CSR has me on hold while he does more research.

For anyone who has ordered an HR34 -- double check your order & double check your fees afterwards. I'll post the result of this call when it is finished.

Ok -- after 30 minutes of time, the retention CSR was able to remove the RVU from my account. He had me verify that all of my receivers still worked before we finished the call. He was very nice & patient & I made it a point to stay very nice & patient as well, even to the previous CSR's who did not understand the situation. I'm glad my account is now back to normal :-).

Quoting myself because I had an interesting call from DirecTV last night. The guy said he was calling because they wanted to confirm the number of receivers on my account versus the number of receivers that I have. He said your account says you have 5 receivers, I said yes, 4 DVR's and one regular receiver. He then says I show you have a home media center. I said, I have an HR34 DVR that has 5 tuners & is only hooked up to one TV. He said something about it being able to serve other TV's & I told him we used it strictly as a DVR & that it was replacing another DVR that I would be receiving a return box for. I got the impression that he didn't completely believe that I had no other TV hooked to the HR34.

#598 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

Sheesh I been around the block a few times and this can all get confusing.

So have gotten 2 flyers in the mail saying I can get whole home upgrade free. My account shows I am eligible for a free HDDVR on the Directv website. But the mailing of course it doesn't specify HR34 and some here say you only get HR20-24. Would love to have an HR34 but really dont want to lay out so much for it, and in my case I would havet to get more than just the receiver as I am on a SWIM 8 and have a HR20-100, HR22-100 and HR16-300 active and I wouldn't want to loose any of them in the process(except maybe the R16 if I were to get a HR34). We currently have an unsupported network in place but dont pay for the whole home service.

Anyone got any suggestions or tips on how to best manage this upgrade?

#599 OFFLINE   bigtom

bigtom

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

Sheesh I been around the block a few times and this can all get confusing.

So have gotten 2 flyers in the mail saying I can get whole home upgrade free. My account shows I am eligible for a free HDDVR on the Directv website. But the mailing of course it doesn't specify HR34 and some here say you only get HR20-24. Would love to have an HR34 but really dont want to lay out so much for it, and in my case I would havet to get more than just the receiver as I am on a SWIM 8 and have a HR20-100, HR22-100 and HR16-300 active and I wouldn't want to loose any of them in the process(except maybe the R16 if I were to get a HR34). We currently have an unsupported network in place but dont pay for the whole home service.

Anyone got any suggestions or tips on how to best manage this upgrade?

Just call and speak to a CSR for pricing. The HR34 is a Home Media Center rather than HDDVR, but special pricing may apply. The SWM upgrade would come with the standard professional installation.

#600 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,425 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

DirecTV doesn't consider an HR34 to be an HD DVR, it's an HMC (Home media Center). This is a good thing as it allows a specific order. If you order an HR34 and the order shows up as an HMC, that's what you'll get. If the order says HD DVR, it could be a 20-24 and guaranteed not to be a 34.

You would need to go to a SWM16, and they would convert you to a supported DECA network.

spam firewall