Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1280 replies to this topic

#951 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,322 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

My HR-250 died.

I called for HR34. Got to retention. Offered me $250 off the box. I asked for discount on install or CCK and would not budge. I already have $10 x 24 off my bill prior due to negotiations on Sunday Ticket last year for HD as well as Total choice off $10x24. So could not offer me more. Plus refer a friend or $10x10. So I thought I did ok. D* paid me to watch Sunday Ticket with Internet streaming last year.

I went with CCK as it was $100 more.

My new setup:
1 x HR34
1 x HR24-100
1 x R15-100 (used at my parents house). d* are requiring a swap for compatible DVR ( no idea of model)
1 x HR-250 (dead) being replaced with new HD DVR (no idea of model)

I really only need 2 HD DVRs. So I may cancel the other 2 when D* installer shows up.

Any chance I can talk installer To upgrade to SWM for no charge? I have a Ethernet power line network and a wirless network so I think CCK is unnecessary but they force SWM or CCK.... What should I with the install?

Cck is an adapter and is how they get Internet access into your DIRECTV deca cloud. They won't use your Ethernet network or your powerline adapters to connect your receivers together (nor should they).

Swim is necessary no matter what with an HR34, it's the only way it can hook up. They charge for cck to but it's really a charge to hook you up with an approved method for Whole Home Service and connect you to the Internet, which they do with every Whole Home Service setup anymore. Your HR34 can actually act as a cck adapter without any extra parts.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#952 OFFLINE   eazy-e

eazy-e

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

The R15 likely will be replaced with an R16. SWM compatible but not whole home. The HR34 requires SWM, so no chance of not getting that.

So do you think I can cancel the CCK? I sure would like to do so. I would like MRV but not a show stopper. I have an Apple Airport router and a hard wired Netgear power line Ethernet adapter so I can get Directv cinema to my HR 24...

#953 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,620 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

The HD boxes can do MRV. if they show up with an R22 instead of a 16, it can too but I'd be surprised if that's what they have. Technically, you can plus the HR34 into an Internet connection and get the same functionality as a CCK.

Just to be clear, MRV and the CCK are separate. MRV does not require a CCK.

#954 OFFLINE   eazy-e

eazy-e

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

So I guess I need some Clarification. D* forces either the CCK or SWM setup. Either$99 or $199 respectively. Can I avoid both of those charges when I get the HR34? What functionality do I "lose" if CCK is not installed? Would the SWM still be installed and I avoid a$199 charge which is not on my current order? Sorry I wasn't in the market for Ny of this stuff until last night so I'm still getting caught up with the latest lingo. I really wanted the TiVo but read such bad reviews and could not resist the HR34's 5 tuner ability.

#955 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,620 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

You can't avoid SWM with the HR34. There is only one coax connector on the back, not 5. SWM is single wire multiswitch, normal DVRs used to require two lines coming off the dish, now only one with SWM. The CCK is solely for Internet access, installers are suppose to have a minimum number of installs connected to either Internet or phone line. Internet is used for on demand, TV Apps, Pandora (not on HR34 yet), YouTube and ordering PPV via remote.

#956 OFFLINE   bdgarcia

bdgarcia

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

Received a $250 discount on HR34 and $20/Month credit for 12 months.

Bryan

#957 OFFLINE   aeffen

aeffen

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

1 hr34
1 hr20 700
2 hr23 700

The tech arrived this morning. It took four hours but the install was flawless. As others have said installed a 16 port multiswitch. Had to run additional lines into attic and one additional coax drop. Each receiver except the hr34 has some kind of deca adapter on the box and one receiver has a small additional adapter that is directly wired to my router. Each receiver can see the playlists on all the others and play them, the pip on the hr34 is great and to top it all I didn't have to reprogram my harmony to run the hr34. First time in a decade that the installer/tech actually knew what he was doing and took the time to do it right. We are very pleased!

#958 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,933 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

Hey, decided to give it a try for a discounted HR34 today and talked to retention about it a few hours earlier.

Very nice lady I spoke with and to my surprise I got one for only $99.00 plus free installation (two year recommit necessary of course). :D

According to her, being a subscriber since Sep. of '95 with perfect pay history over all that time is what really pushed it through. Unfortunately though, she said there was a glitch in the computer ordering system and couldn't process the order at the moment. Carefully noted the account and gave me her employee ID number and told me to call retention back in confirm the order in at least 24 hours at a special PIN coded access phone number. Sure hope this is not one of those situations where they try to renege on the deal when I try to call back.

Going to have to do some rearrangement on the SWiM-16 to clear the required tuner space though.

An HR22-100, HR24-500, and a R22-100 on SWiM output 1 8-way splitter.
An HR21-200 and HR34 on SWiM output 2 8-way splitter.
Though I will ask the installer if he/she has a couple of 4-way SWiM splitters to swap out for these wasteful 8-ways.

One HR22-100 will be retired.

13 tuners used in all ...

Edited by HoTat2, 29 April 2012 - 06:00 PM.

#959 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,322 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

Hey, decided to give it a try for a discounted HR34 today and talked to retention about it a few hours earlier.

Very nice lady I spoke with and to my surprise I got one for only $99.00 plus free installation (two year recommit necessary of course). :D

According to her, being a subscriber since Sep. of '95 with perfect pay history over all that time is what really pushed it through. Unfortunately though, she said there was a glitch in the computer ordering system and couldn't process the order at the moment. Carefully noted the account and gave me her employee ID number and told me to call retention back in confirm the order in at least 24 hours at a special PIN coded access phone number. Sure hope this is not one of those situations where they try to renege on the deal when I try to call back.

Going to have to do some rearrangement on the SWiM-16 to clear the required tuner space though.

An HR22-100, HR24-500, and a R22-100 on SWiM output 1 8-way splitter.
An HR21-200 and HR34 on SWiM output 2 8-way splitter.
Though I will ask the installer if he/she has a couple of 4-way SWiM splitters to swap out for these wasteful 8-ways.

One HR22-100 will be retired.

13 tuners used in all ...

If all your runs are to one spot I'd want one four way splitter to connect four hrs to off swim output 1 and then the hr34 direct line to swim out 2. That should give you the least loss of signal I believe. Check with VOS to be sure.

#960 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,933 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

If all your runs are to one spot I'd want one four way splitter to connect four hrs to off swim output 1 and then the hr34 direct line to swim out 2. That should give you the least loss of signal I believe. Check with VOS to be sure.

I'd consider that, but I have two additional cable runs I need to accommodate. Since the HR34 is nowhere near my router I have a coax run from one of the SWiM splitters to a wired CCK.

And, though unsupported of course, I have another coax from a SWiM splitter output to a PC for internet/home network access through the DECA cloud via a "white" DECA brick on the PC.

Thus seven lines to the SWiM-16 in all, so two 1 x 4 SWiM splitters necessary.

#961 OFFLINE   utvnut

utvnut

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:33 AM

After weeks waiting I called in. First call "no discounts we can offer it for $399 plus installation". Been a customer since inception and premier etc. paid $1000 for hr-250...
So said no and called back 2 days later. Retention says sure, "here is 6 months of $5 off and be glad to give you a 34 at no charge free install".

Oops, "computer wont let me" but I can if you pay $199. Then she says "you need a Samsung tv.

Third call, ask for a supervisor and explain the rep offered a free hr 34 and noted it then blamed her computer. Since I have 5 HDDVR and whole home she says "there are no discounts but for your loyalty I can offer $99. Not bad but I told her I'd think about it since there are known free deals and they admit offering no charge to me.

I guess next call will be either free or $99. Any odds out there?

#962 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,322 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

I'd consider that, but I have two additional cable runs I need to accommodate. Since the HR34 is nowhere near my router I have a coax run from one of the SWiM splitters to a wired CCK.

And, though unsupported of course, I have another coax from a SWiM splitter output to a PC for internet/home network access through the DECA cloud via a "white" DECA brick on the PC.

Thus seven lines to the SWiM-16 in all, so two 1 x 4 SWiM splitters necessary.

Well that makes sense! :)

#963 OFFLINE   jonny4

jonny4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

Called DirecTV again yesterday and the best they would do for me, even through executive customer service, is $297 plus tax. I am actually really thinking about leaving and getting a Dish hopper, at least they have BBC America in HD. They keep trying to charge me for a cinema connection kit even though all my receivers have a rg6 and Ethernet connected to them. I understand I also need a SWiM dish but should I have to pay for it? They are giving me each item for $99.

#964 OFFLINE   l33tivo

l33tivo

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

My 3 hacked SD-DVR40s don't receive locals due to a guide data problem that started after a power outage last week.

After four calls and a bit of web browsing, they are replacing them with an HR-34 and two HD receivers, Whole Home and an SWM16.

Equipment: $300, $326 incl tax.
Bill credits: $30 x 12 months, $360

Total cost: New stuff + $34 in my pocket after a year.

Thanks for the bill credit tip!!!

#965 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

My 3 hacked SD-DVR40s don't receive locals due to a guide data problem that started after a power outage last week.

After four calls and a bit of web browsing, they are replacing them with an HR-34 and two HD receivers, Whole Home and an SWM16.

Equipment: $300, $326 incl tax.
Bill credits: $30 x 12 months, $360

Total cost: New stuff + $34 in my pocket after a year.

Thanks for the bill credit tip!!!

This is roughly what I got, too. $321 (including tax) for an HR34, MRV install using my existing HDDVRs, plus $240 in programming credits and Starz for six months. Auto pay customer since 99, no current commitment. New 24 month contract begins on install.

A virtual $$ wash for a nice upgrade. I am happy
“The easy confidence with which I know another man’s religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -- Mark Twain

#966 OFFLINE   Rajdawg

Rajdawg

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

called in to find out what my ETF was because I was honestly considering switching to charter. Guy says hold the phone gives me free HR34, free install, an additional $28 off per month, and 6 months free HBO/Cinemax/Showtime and sports pack...Was amazing!!!

#967 OFFLINE   billd1530

billd1530

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

Just ordered upgrade to HR34 (not currently under contract, DirecTV customer for over 10 years)

HR 34 $99
Whole home/CCK $149

Total $248

Less $120 in monthly credits

Net cost $128

I could have haggled more, but I thought it was a reasonable price. Also, offered Showtime and Starz for six months for $7/month, but declined. Install scheduled for next Friday.

#968 OFFLINE   crabtrp

crabtrp

Legend

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:53 AM

I left for Dish last October. Since then I have received weekly 'please come back we miss you' letters from DTV. Sooo...

I got an HR34 for $99.

Whole home DVR, three HD receivers, installation, Sunday Ticket yada yada yada all for free with rebates taking my bill initially down to like $80 for 3 months the $120 for premier. $200 toward bailing from Dish early.

It will be good to be back. I am interested to see how the HMC works out.

So, when does BBC America start in HD?

#969 OFFLINE   AndyHi

AndyHi

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

I called DirectTV about adding an HR34 and the prices they were quoting seemed a little crazy.
399$ for the HR34
49$ installation fee
then a required whole home upgrade kit (something like that) or cinema connection kit for 199$ (which seems to be just plugging in an ethernet cable, which I already have)

didn't matter that I have >10yrs with directtv and multiple receivers.

now looking at going with dishbuy and doing my own install, anyone run into this required 199$ fee when activating your receiver?

#970 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

thats the price for an install...when you diy it DTV dsnt have record of you having a swn system....go thru email...
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#971 OFFLINE   billd1530

billd1530

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:53 AM

That's what the first CSR quoted me and then put me on hold when I asked to speak to retention and the call was dropped. I called back and spoke to a someone who was willing to work with me, all the while telling him that I was considering going to Dish unless he gave me a reasonable deal. It took a little back and forth, but I finally got what I thought was a reasonable deal.

#972 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

I called DirectTV about adding an HR34 and the prices they were quoting seemed a little crazy.
399$ for the HR34
49$ installation fee
then a required whole home upgrade kit (something like that) or cinema connection kit for 199$ (which seems to be just plugging in an ethernet cable, which I already have)

didn't matter that I have >10yrs with directtv and multiple receivers.

now looking at going with dishbuy and doing my own install, anyone run into this required 199$ fee when activating your receiver?

AndyHi:

Yep, what you were quoted is the "list price" for the equipment and install, but almost nobody pays the full boat. If your payment record is good and if you have no current contract, you can negotiate. They want to keep you as a customer; it is cheaper for them to save/retain a current customer than to recruit a new one. Keep trying....
“The easy confidence with which I know another man’s religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -- Mark Twain

#973 OFFLINE   hitman80

hitman80

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

AndyHi:

Yep, what you were quoted is the "list price" for the equipment and install, but almost nobody pays the full boat. If your payment record is good and if you have no current contract, you can negotiate. They want to keep you as a customer; it is cheaper for them to save/retain a current customer than to recruit a new one. Keep trying....

What else is there to do? Keep calling over and over? Most people on here seem to have Dtv pay them to take the HR34 receiver on the first call. I am in the same boat as Andy. I have been with Dtv since 2000, pay all bills on time, always had the most expensive package and a half dozen receivers. Had the Sunday Ticket every year.

I called and was given the shaft. $399 and $49 install. The rep explicitly said "I'm sorry but there is no chance of you getting a discount through Directv for the HR34." It blows my mind that people are getting these unbelievable discounts while a few, like Andy and I, are being turned away instantly even with perfect Dtv histories.

#974 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

What else is there to do? Keep calling over and over? Most people on here seem to have Dtv pay them to take the HR34 receiver on the first call. I am in the same boat as Andy. I have been with Dtv since 2000, pay all bills on time, always had the most expensive package and a half dozen receivers. Had the Sunday Ticket every year.

I called and was given the shaft. $399 and $49 install. The rep explicitly said "I'm sorry but there is no chance of you getting a discount through Directv for the HR34." It blows my mind that people are getting these unbelievable discounts while a few, like Andy and I, are being turned away instantly even with perfect Dtv histories.

The first line CSRs won't offer any discount. You have to ask for "Retention" and explain your options to the person who answers, including the option to leave DTV for a better offer. Do it with a smile in your voice and you will get help.

#975 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,322 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

So you where given the shaft because you where offered the product at the regular advertised price that you and everyone else is absolutely supposed to be offered? And by a regular non retention front line csr?

Curios also, how many discounts have you called in for in the last two years?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...