Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1280 replies to this topic

#961 OFFLINE   utvnut

utvnut

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:33 AM

After weeks waiting I called in. First call "no discounts we can offer it for $399 plus installation". Been a customer since inception and premier etc. paid $1000 for hr-250...
So said no and called back 2 days later. Retention says sure, "here is 6 months of $5 off and be glad to give you a 34 at no charge free install".

Oops, "computer wont let me" but I can if you pay $199. Then she says "you need a Samsung tv.

Third call, ask for a supervisor and explain the rep offered a free hr 34 and noted it then blamed her computer. Since I have 5 HDDVR and whole home she says "there are no discounts but for your loyalty I can offer $99. Not bad but I told her I'd think about it since there are known free deals and they admit offering no charge to me.

I guess next call will be either free or $99. Any odds out there?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#962 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,820 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

I'd consider that, but I have two additional cable runs I need to accommodate. Since the HR34 is nowhere near my router I have a coax run from one of the SWiM splitters to a wired CCK.

And, though unsupported of course, I have another coax from a SWiM splitter output to a PC for internet/home network access through the DECA cloud via a "white" DECA brick on the PC.

Thus seven lines to the SWiM-16 in all, so two 1 x 4 SWiM splitters necessary.

Well that makes sense! :)

#963 OFFLINE   jonny4

jonny4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

Called DirecTV again yesterday and the best they would do for me, even through executive customer service, is $297 plus tax. I am actually really thinking about leaving and getting a Dish hopper, at least they have BBC America in HD. They keep trying to charge me for a cinema connection kit even though all my receivers have a rg6 and Ethernet connected to them. I understand I also need a SWiM dish but should I have to pay for it? They are giving me each item for $99.

#964 OFFLINE   l33tivo

l33tivo

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

My 3 hacked SD-DVR40s don't receive locals due to a guide data problem that started after a power outage last week.

After four calls and a bit of web browsing, they are replacing them with an HR-34 and two HD receivers, Whole Home and an SWM16.

Equipment: $300, $326 incl tax.
Bill credits: $30 x 12 months, $360

Total cost: New stuff + $34 in my pocket after a year.

Thanks for the bill credit tip!!!

#965 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

My 3 hacked SD-DVR40s don't receive locals due to a guide data problem that started after a power outage last week.

After four calls and a bit of web browsing, they are replacing them with an HR-34 and two HD receivers, Whole Home and an SWM16.

Equipment: $300, $326 incl tax.
Bill credits: $30 x 12 months, $360

Total cost: New stuff + $34 in my pocket after a year.

Thanks for the bill credit tip!!!

This is roughly what I got, too. $321 (including tax) for an HR34, MRV install using my existing HDDVRs, plus $240 in programming credits and Starz for six months. Auto pay customer since 99, no current commitment. New 24 month contract begins on install.

A virtual $$ wash for a nice upgrade. I am happy
“The easy confidence with which I know another man’s religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -- Mark Twain

#966 OFFLINE   Rajdawg

Rajdawg

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

called in to find out what my ETF was because I was honestly considering switching to charter. Guy says hold the phone gives me free HR34, free install, an additional $28 off per month, and 6 months free HBO/Cinemax/Showtime and sports pack...Was amazing!!!

#967 OFFLINE   billd1530

billd1530

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

Just ordered upgrade to HR34 (not currently under contract, DirecTV customer for over 10 years)

HR 34 $99
Whole home/CCK $149

Total $248

Less $120 in monthly credits

Net cost $128

I could have haggled more, but I thought it was a reasonable price. Also, offered Showtime and Starz for six months for $7/month, but declined. Install scheduled for next Friday.

#968 OFFLINE   crabtrp

crabtrp

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:53 AM

I left for Dish last October. Since then I have received weekly 'please come back we miss you' letters from DTV. Sooo...

I got an HR34 for $99.

Whole home DVR, three HD receivers, installation, Sunday Ticket yada yada yada all for free with rebates taking my bill initially down to like $80 for 3 months the $120 for premier. $200 toward bailing from Dish early.

It will be good to be back. I am interested to see how the HMC works out.

So, when does BBC America start in HD?

#969 OFFLINE   AndyHi

AndyHi

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

I called DirectTV about adding an HR34 and the prices they were quoting seemed a little crazy.
399$ for the HR34
49$ installation fee
then a required whole home upgrade kit (something like that) or cinema connection kit for 199$ (which seems to be just plugging in an ethernet cable, which I already have)

didn't matter that I have >10yrs with directtv and multiple receivers.

now looking at going with dishbuy and doing my own install, anyone run into this required 199$ fee when activating your receiver?

#970 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

thats the price for an install...when you diy it DTV dsnt have record of you having a swn system....go thru email...
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#971 OFFLINE   billd1530

billd1530

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:53 AM

That's what the first CSR quoted me and then put me on hold when I asked to speak to retention and the call was dropped. I called back and spoke to a someone who was willing to work with me, all the while telling him that I was considering going to Dish unless he gave me a reasonable deal. It took a little back and forth, but I finally got what I thought was a reasonable deal.

#972 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

I called DirectTV about adding an HR34 and the prices they were quoting seemed a little crazy.
399$ for the HR34
49$ installation fee
then a required whole home upgrade kit (something like that) or cinema connection kit for 199$ (which seems to be just plugging in an ethernet cable, which I already have)

didn't matter that I have >10yrs with directtv and multiple receivers.

now looking at going with dishbuy and doing my own install, anyone run into this required 199$ fee when activating your receiver?

AndyHi:

Yep, what you were quoted is the "list price" for the equipment and install, but almost nobody pays the full boat. If your payment record is good and if you have no current contract, you can negotiate. They want to keep you as a customer; it is cheaper for them to save/retain a current customer than to recruit a new one. Keep trying....
“The easy confidence with which I know another man’s religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -- Mark Twain

#973 OFFLINE   hitman80

hitman80

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

AndyHi:

Yep, what you were quoted is the "list price" for the equipment and install, but almost nobody pays the full boat. If your payment record is good and if you have no current contract, you can negotiate. They want to keep you as a customer; it is cheaper for them to save/retain a current customer than to recruit a new one. Keep trying....

What else is there to do? Keep calling over and over? Most people on here seem to have Dtv pay them to take the HR34 receiver on the first call. I am in the same boat as Andy. I have been with Dtv since 2000, pay all bills on time, always had the most expensive package and a half dozen receivers. Had the Sunday Ticket every year.

I called and was given the shaft. $399 and $49 install. The rep explicitly said "I'm sorry but there is no chance of you getting a discount through Directv for the HR34." It blows my mind that people are getting these unbelievable discounts while a few, like Andy and I, are being turned away instantly even with perfect Dtv histories.

#974 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

What else is there to do? Keep calling over and over? Most people on here seem to have Dtv pay them to take the HR34 receiver on the first call. I am in the same boat as Andy. I have been with Dtv since 2000, pay all bills on time, always had the most expensive package and a half dozen receivers. Had the Sunday Ticket every year.

I called and was given the shaft. $399 and $49 install. The rep explicitly said "I'm sorry but there is no chance of you getting a discount through Directv for the HR34." It blows my mind that people are getting these unbelievable discounts while a few, like Andy and I, are being turned away instantly even with perfect Dtv histories.

The first line CSRs won't offer any discount. You have to ask for "Retention" and explain your options to the person who answers, including the option to leave DTV for a better offer. Do it with a smile in your voice and you will get help.

#975 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,820 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

So you where given the shaft because you where offered the product at the regular advertised price that you and everyone else is absolutely supposed to be offered? And by a regular non retention front line csr?

Curios also, how many discounts have you called in for in the last two years?

#976 OFFLINE   hitman80

hitman80

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

Curios also, how many discounts have you called in for in the last two years?

Zero. I guess 'shaft' was a strong word. You are correct that I was offered the full price.

The first line CSRs won't offer any discount. You have to ask for "Retention" and explain your options to the person who answers, including the option to leave DTV for a better offer. Do it with a smile in your voice and you will get help.

Thanks for the thoughtful and helpful post Denver. I called back in and simply asked for my contract end date. They transferred me to retention immediately. The rep there was just as surprised and frustrated as I was about the way the earlier CSR rep treated me. She gave me a great deal on the HR34. Thanks so much for your help!

Edited by hitman80, 28 May 2012 - 06:05 PM.

#977 OFFLINE   employee3

employee3

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

I called in after being slammed into the HD Extra pack. The CSR assisted me in correcting that issue and I did ask about my contract end date. I was also transferred to retention (at least another party).

Since my contract was up in about a month I was given the option for the HR34 for free. I did mention that I thought about going to Dish. I didn't want to make the decision to add another 24 months at that time so just asked for them to note my account so I could call in later.

After looking at the Hopper/Joey setup and my setup, I decided to stick with DirecTv. This is what works for us. I called back in and talked with a CSR about getting the HR34 and ask her to look at the notes on my account. I got the box and install (I already have a SWM16 so this involves a truck roll and removing 4 cables from the old box) for free. It did take a little bit because she didn't have the auth to waive that much $$$ so a supervisor had to get that done.

Clearly, DirecTv is feeling the heat from Dish (whether that is real or imagined heat) and their Hopper advertising blitz. For us, having a unified playlist and 13 tuners (now) was what kept us with DirecTv.
C'mon people, it's just TV.

#978 OFFLINE   snappjay

snappjay

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

I just got mine free as well... except the $49.00 install charge which I was okay with. Plus 6 months of free DVR.

05/29/2012 CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC - Billing Correction ($99.00) ($5.35)
05/29/2012 Advanced Receiver-DVR - 6moFreeDVRExist ($8.00) ($0.48)
05/29/2012 Home Media Center Server - SalesOrderCredit ($300.00) ($18.00)
05/29/2012 Home Media Center Server - Charge $399.00 $23.94
05/29/2012 Standard Installation - Charge $49.00 $0.00
TV Vizio VF551XVT
Remote Logitech Harmony 900
Service DirecTV Choice Xtra Classic
Receivers HR-34/700

#979 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

Tom the Installer showed up at 8:40 this morning and was out of here by 10:00. I had all the units broken down (out of cabinets, etc,) and ready. He had the Whole Home System going in notime (the power inserter and the CCK make the install easier for everyone).

All three DVRs are seeing each other, and the HR34 is running fine, a little faster than earlier models.

I think I am happy:)

#980 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

Zero. I guess 'shaft' was a strong word. You are correct that I was offered the full price.

Thanks for the thoughtful and helpful post Denver. I called back in and simply asked for my contract end date. They transferred me to retention immediately. The rep there was just as surprised and frustrated as I was about the way the earlier CSR rep treated me. She gave me a great deal on the HR34. Thanks so much for your help!

You are welcome! Enjoy yor new toy!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...