Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1280 replies to this topic

#1041 OFFLINE   MISpat

MISpat

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

I don't have an RVU TV yet but I plan to get one in around 6 months. I'm thinking about getting the HR34 now though, just for the extra tuners and ability to stream to more than 1 other receiver at the same time.

Does anyone know yet what the cost is to have them come make the connection to an RVU TV once you already have the HR34?
Patrick

Dish type – SWM3 LNB, 2 HR24-500, H23-600, Whole Home w/ broadband DECA (CCK)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1042 OFFLINE   pdxguy

pdxguy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

ummm, i dont think so, id love to see an image of that invoice:nono2::nono2::nono2:

I have no reason to make up deals. I was just sharing what happened with my contact with retention so others can use as a guideline. I assume I was offered the free HR34 because I am out of contract. There are many factors that go into play when D* offers credits or discounting, including your history with D*, who you talk to, and the way you handle the conversation. Accusations of lying are offensive and do nothing to add to the discussion on this thread.

#1043 OFFLINE   whoster69

whoster69

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

Here's my situation: I just moved into a new house about 6 months ago. When I moved in, they set it up for their new services I was told (I'm not sure what this means, but the installer said this would save time in the future). Anyway, I have one HD TV with my old HR20 box in the living room. One SD box with my old SD set in the bedroom. I've been with DirecTV since 2007 and had my HR20 die once. It was replaced by an even older HR20 that seemed slower. That unit, sadly, still works.

I'm interested in upgrading to whole home, HD in the bedroom (I already have HD in the living room) and adding HD downstairs, so I'll have three drops total. I called and inquired about all of this today and the representative that I talked to (who seemed kind on annoyed -I can't figure out why) said I could get another HD DVR for free another drop added for free, or I could pay $399 and get the HMC (the HR34 -why don't they just call it the HR34?). Seemed like kind of a rip off to me. I asked if they had a loyalty discount and she said that was it.

What I want to know is are there some magic words you have to say or some strategy you can recommend for getting these great deals for those that are getting them? In reading this thread, it looks like it is just luck of the draw. I find it really annoying that If I go with another HD DVR I might get another used, old, slow HR20 instead of the faster, newer model with a bigger hard drive. DirecTV won't a specific model unless I go with the HR34, but I don't want to pay $400 for it. I'd love to get it, but not at that price. What makes this doubly weird is I get a lot of stuff from them. I currently subscribe to all of their premium channels. You'd think they'd want a cash cow like me to stay, but I'm thinking of switching, just because their customer service seems to not care at all or give me any sort of break for being a loyal customer for 5+ years.

One other thing I forgot to mention. For my bedroom and the new drop, in our downstairs room, I'll need to buy two new HD TVs, so I'm looking into that as well.

Any advice is appreciated.

Edited by whoster69, 20 July 2012 - 10:45 AM.

#1044 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

First off, DirecTV doesn't guarantee a specific model no matter what. They call it the Home Media Center, because that's what it is. They don't call it the HR34 for the same reason they don't refer to the HD-DVRs as an HR21, HR23, etc. If there was an HR33, or HR35 then whenever you ordered a Home Media Center then you would have the possibility of ending up with any one of those three. I do not expect this to ever change and I don't blame them.

As far as getting a better deal all you can do is try again. You might get a better offer, or you might get a worse one and not even be able to get the HD-DVR for free anymore. It really is kind of a roll of the dice. One thing that might be able to help your chances would be to say that you are considering switching to Dish Network and getting their Hopper/Joey system. It seems like mentioning that has helped some people here get better deals. However, I wouldn't be threatening or rude as they might just end up cancelling your service on you rather than offering a deal.

Good luck.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#1045 OFFLINE   hatchet

hatchet

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

HA!

The good old "free" HR34 :nono2:...

I called because I am currently month to month and with the recent Viacom dispute, the past Fox dispute (at least here in south Florida) and Lord only knows what other dispute(s) yet to come, I figured it might be fun to play.

I went immediately to retentions and after a few brief pleasantries, wouldn't you know I was offered an HR34 "Free Of Charge". Well of course I jumped on it and after a brief hold, I thought I was off and running. While the CSR was allegedly inputting my order, I asked him what else he was selling to sweeten the deal. Another brief hold and he came back with a month of free services. Done! So while I sat on the phone listening as he "keyed" in the order, BAM! Phone goes dead and the call was dropped. Hmmmmm?

So I waited for a call back and got none. Called retentions and got someone else who of course couldn't put me back in touch with the original CSR. I go round and round with her and was told there was "No Way" that offer could have been made to me. Not to be called a liar, she somehow??? managed to speak to the original CSR who said no such offer had been made to me but rather he was merely explaining things to me. What is there to explain? Free means no charge last time I checked.

Regardless, I found the whole thing amusing and was not upset at all because I knew it was BS from the get go. The best the second rep would offer me was an additional HR24 which I do not need or want.

I will continue month to month and call again in due time when I am again in need of a good laugh :lol:...
HR24 - HDMI - Pioneer Kuro PDP-5080HD
H24 - HDMI - Sony KDL-46NX700
H24 - HDMI - Sharp LC32D47U

#1046 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

Call back in a year from today and I bet they do give it to you for free.

#1047 OFFLINE   vanduse1

vanduse1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

The recurring monthly cost is the same - just adding another receiver in that regard. If you eventually add RVU clients they would also be charged as additional receivers.

The only way to find out what it will cost you is to call DirecTV, however I would not expect a free HR34 even after you are out of contract.

I was curious on this as the fine print at the bottom of this page: http://www.directv.c...gy/hmc_receiver states that an Advance Receiver Service ($20/month) is required.

Can anyone shed some light on this charge?

#1048 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:14 AM

I was curious on this as the fine print at the bottom of this page: http://www.directv.c...gy/hmc_receiver states that an Advance Receiver Service ($20/month) is required.

Can anyone shed some light on this charge?

It is the combo of DVR, HD and MRV rolled into one fee.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#1049 OFFLINE   vanduse1

vanduse1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

It is the combo of DVR, HD and MRV rolled into one fee.

Great!

I move in two weeks so it will be "Interesting" to see what type of offer I can get. I am a long time customer currently out of contract. Will keep the group posted on the offer.

#1050 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

$399 - $100 instant credit. Plus $20 off per month x 12 months. Installation fee waived. Net of $50.

Very happy with that. :)
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#1051 OFFLINE   MISpat

MISpat

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

Got some interesting info when I called today. I was transferred to the dept which handles the ordering for the HR34's. For the second time, they offered it to me for $100. The rep said she worked in retentions during the viacom dispute and never gave an HR34 for free. She also said that you won't see them giving any units for free until after they've been out for a year, which in this case would be Feb. 2013. (also said that the regular HD-DVR's were also $399 during their first year of existance and they didn't start putting those in "free" offers until after the first year when they lowered it to $199)
So I'm going to wait it out until Feb. since we're putting an addition onto the house and really won't need another unit until the end of the year anyway.
Patrick

#1052 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

Do they charge for the installation besides the $100 for the HR34?

#1053 OFFLINE   wmschultz

wmschultz

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

Didn't charge me anything. Dish free, SWM 16 free, HCC, and all DECA units free. Oh yeah, and a HR34 free. I do need to call tomorrow cuz I was supposed to get NFL Sunday Ticket free, too. Still shows as $99 on my bill.

-------------------------------------

Edit: I called today to talk about the NFL ST charge still being on my bill. That was taken off, I was upgraded to the NFL ST MAX package for free and I got HD Free for a year.

Edited by wmschultz, 28 July 2012 - 02:37 PM.

#1054 OFFLINE   MISpat

MISpat

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

Do they charge for the installation besides the $100 for the HR34?

I'm assuming it would normally be the $49 which others have posted here, but she didn't say anything about it because they are already coming to my house to troubleshoot a problem.
Patrick

#1055 OFFLINE   reubenray

reubenray

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

How can you find out when the 2 year commitment is up? I am thinking of trying to get the HR34 when I move in 2 weeks.

#1056 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

How can you find out when the 2 year commitment is up? I am thinking of trying to get the HR34 when I move in 2 weeks.

You have to call DirecTV and ask.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#1057 OFFLINE   reubenray

reubenray

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

I got everything I wanted for $21.75. The HR34, new dish, NFL Ticket Max, free premium channels for 3 months and complete install.

#1058 OFFLINE   jovac

jovac

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

I'm a 15 year customer with Premier package, NFLST and 4 HDDVR's. Have called multiple times and canot get any discount off the HR34. Talked to Retention today and she basically called me a liar stating that no one has ever gotten any discount on this box. Threatened to cancel my account, she said go ahead.

Worst customer service I have ever received outside the DMV. Will be actively evaluating alternatives to DTV. Shame. I guess since they have market share they no longer value their long term customers.

#1059 OFFLINE   goofydisneydaddy

goofydisneydaddy

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:33 PM

I don't really understand D* on this. I am a two-year customer, just out of contract. I called during the Viacom dispute and shamelessly took advntage of the issue (as I don't watch any Viacom channels). I also expressed outrage at the fact that they added Disney Junior in SD and not HD (something that actually does bother me as I have a young daughter and we -- often together as you can tell by my name -- watch quite a bit of this channel). I also said the Hoppper/Joey thingy looked mighty attractive and that one of our HR24s was failing and missing many recordings.

I don't know how much, if at all, any of my spiel counted, but I was able to get the HR34 for only $99, with the installation fee waived. It can be done, so they are lying to say otherwise.

#1060 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 921 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

As has been stated many times, the discounts are account specific, not the same across the board.
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

spam firewall