Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1280 replies to this topic

#1061 OFFLINE   jovac

jovac

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

I know. It is bizarre. Either offer the credits/discounts or don't. Making customers play CSR roulette or come up with creative strategies is just stupid, juvenile and very off-putting. I'll probably stay with them for now as I don't know of a comparable alternative at this point. However, this does not instill any sense of customer loyalty and as I evaluate alternatives, such as broadband content, I will be inclined to choose them over the DTV offering. I have already stopped DTV pay per view due to the antiquated delivery model (having to call to order a movie and wait for it to download) and higher price, ($5.99 as opposed to $4.99 from Amazon and iTunes). I will look to replace as much as is practical as it is convenient in response to these cheesy business practices. As I said, it is a shame. I have always been a fan of DTV. Have overlooked and even defended their rather frequent releases of buggy software and hardware in favor of the superior customer service I received and abundant content provided. It just seems that they are reaching that unfortunate tipping point where for whatever reason, they have chosen to diverge from the core values that made them successful to begin with. This at a time when there are more options than ever and that competition will continue to grow.

I'll end my rant now. Congratulations to all you others who seem to be doing better with this than I. :):)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1062 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

jovac i agree..... there is a specific program in place, the issue falls with the 20,000+ employees of varying degfrees of knowlege being given too much leeway in my opinion
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#1063 OFFLINE   jovac

jovac

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

wahooq - I understand this. My point is first, if I don't qualify, 15 years, highest package and out of contract, then who does? And second, that having this mysterious process that seems to rely more on luck of the draw than any tangible account characteristic is, in my opinion, bad business. Part of the purpose of these forums is to express opinions which is all I have done. Pointing out to me the obvious is not really any help to me. If you disagree with my opinion, please state why. If you want to hide behind a blanket statement that this is the way it is and this has been stated many times, I don't really get your point or purpose in posting????

#1064 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:55 PM

jovac i agree..... there is a specific program in place, the issue falls with the 20,000+ employees of varying degfrees of knowlege being given too much leeway in my opinion

believe i said i agree

#1065 OFFLINE   wmschultz

wmschultz

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

wahooq - I understand this. My point is first, if I don't qualify, 15 years, highest package and out of contract, then who does? And second, that having this mysterious process that seems to rely more on luck of the draw than any tangible account characteristic is, in my opinion, bad business. Part of the purpose of these forums is to express opinions which is all I have done. Pointing out to me the obvious is not really any help to me. If you disagree with my opinion, please state why. If you want to hide behind a blanket statement that this is the way it is and this has been stated many times, I don't really get your point or purpose in posting????

All I did was call the 800 number. I said retention at the prompt. I got retention and said I am without a contract (customer since 97) and am looking at my options. They are offering a whole ton of free stuff for new customers and I want to know what I can get. I said I was also looking at UVerse. The CSR asked me what I would like and I told him. New Subs get free NFL ST, I would like the HR34 and I would like a new dish.

Done. No haggle. No lying on my part. I also ended up with HD Free for a year.

#1066 OFFLINE   jovac

jovac

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

I agree this is likely the source of the problem. It just seems that this is intentional on DTV's part as it would be a simple thing to list in their system what discounts to apply to what accounts. They have these listed in other instances for CSR's to reference it's just that there appears to be a set of super secret deals to be given only to those who unlock the mystery of how to get them. ;) This is my core issue. I would characterize this then as more a problematic business policy as opposed to anything as innocuous as insufficient training. I know why they do it, they don't want to give anything away unnecessarily but in this day in age there are no secrets and if you offer to one, don't accuse the next person who asks of being dishonest or misinformed. Say no if you want but don't blame me for not liking the answer.

And I am sorry if I sounded testy in my previous response to you, I am just frustrated as I really like DTV but am upset with how they are treating me currently and that may be unintentionally apparent in my posts.

#1067 OFFLINE   jovac

jovac

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

All I did was call the 800 number. I said retention at the prompt. I got retention and said I am without a contract (customer since 97) and am looking at my options. They are offering a whole ton of free stuff for new customers and I want to know what I can get. I said I was also looking at UVerse. The CSR asked me what I would like and I told him. New Subs get free NFL ST, I would like the HR34 and I would like a new dish.

Done. No haggle. No lying on my part. I also ended up with HD Free for a year.

This just makes it more irritating as I have called no less than 3 separate times with nothing but the $399 being offered.

#1068 OFFLINE   jovac

jovac

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

wahooq said "believe i said i agree"

You did, my bad. Posts crossed and I didn't fully understand your point. Apologies.

Edited by jovac, 01 August 2012 - 02:09 PM.
Clarifying recipient.

#1069 OFFLINE   jacinkcmo

jacinkcmo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

Is it possible the CSRs are on some sort of commission or quota system, so their responses are more tailored to their own needs than the customers? Just a thought.

#1070 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

Is it possible the CSRs are on some sort of commission or quota system, so their responses are more tailored to their own needs than the customers? Just a thought.

A CSR certainly can't hand out credits like candy. I think they have a certain limit overall.

#1071 OFFLINE   yarbage

yarbage

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

Well, I finally had a good offer today. My wife had been on me to save us money, but I really didn't want to leave DirecTV. So, I called asked for retention and told them my situation.

They offered:

$20 off for 12 months
Free Showtime for a year
Free Startz for six months
Then, they were going to offer Sunday ticket for free.

I asked whether I could just get the HR34 instead of the Sunday Ticket (I'm more a college guy).

She said she wasn't sure, but she would check. She came back to me and told me it would be totally free. I got a $628 credit on my account. I was quite happy, because I wasn't sure I would that good of an offer. The last time I called they said it would be full price. It wasn't until I told them I was looking elsewhere that I got the deal.

#1072 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

A CSR certainly can't hand out credits like candy. I think they have a certain limit overall.

Thats the problem they dont have limits in the sense that they are stopped....I used to work for another company and their software wouldn't even aloow you or anyone else to credit anything past a certain dollar amount...DTV needs this.....

#1073 OFFLINE   pdxguy

pdxguy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:27 PM

Thats the problem they dont have limits in the sense that they are stopped....I used to work for another company and their software wouldn't even aloow you or anyone else to credit anything past a certain dollar amount...DTV needs this.....

Sorry, I couldn't disagree more. One of the main reasons I stay with D* is their generosity with account credits. Why would any customers want limits on credits?

#1074 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

Sorry, I couldn't disagree more. One of the main reasons I stay with D* is their generosity with account credits. Why would any customers want limits on credits?

why would any business want to give their services away...

#1075 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:54 PM

why would any business want to give their services away...

The basic rule, if you aren't a paying customer of a company, then you are their actual product. It can work, but obviously that's not DirecTVs model.

#1076 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

Well as i've said before pay TV is a luxury..if you cant or dont want to pay for it then dont. Bottom line.... it's like wanting a diamond but demanding discounts, I dont understand the mentality

#1077 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

Well as i've said before pay TV is a luxury..if you cant or dont want to pay for it then dont. Bottom line.... it's like wanting a diamond but demanding discounts, I dont understand the mentality

Car salesmen must love you. You just pay full sticker price and never ask for a discount.

#1078 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

apples and pears

#1079 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 827 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:40 PM

apples and pears

Am I mistaken or have you said at one time you are a D* Csr. If this is the case is this why some csr's give no discounts and others do. Because you don't believe they deserve them?

#1080 OFFLINE   whoster69

whoster69

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

I don't really see it that way. What I find frustrating are situations like this. I had been a loyal customer for several years and liked their service, so I recommended it to a friend. He got the new DVR. Mine then promptly died and I got one that was even older than my current model (but the same model number with the same anemic hard drive). As a loyal customer, I found it really frustrating that he got a new one and I got old crap.

In my opinion, that is a mistake on DTV's part. When I inquired about it, I was told take the old crap or go somewhere else. I wasn't given any options. My friend was guaranteed a newer model.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...