Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1280 replies to this topic

#1081 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,104 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:38 AM

I don't really see it that way. What I find frustrating are situations like this. I had been a loyal customer for several years and liked their service, so I recommended it to a friend. He got the new DVR. Mine then promptly died and I got one that was even older than my current model (but the same model number with the same anemic hard drive). As a loyal customer, I found it really frustrating that he got a new one and I got old crap.

In my opinion, that is a mistake on DTV's part. When I inquired about it, I was told take the old crap or go somewhere else. I wasn't given any options. My friend was guaranteed a newer model.

Even new customers aren't guaranteed a newer model. I had a friend sign up, he got an HR22 and H24. Now, if your friend got the HR34, that is different.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1082 OFFLINE   whoster69

whoster69

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

Even new customers aren't guaranteed a newer model. I had a friend sign up, he got an HR22 and H24. Now, if your friend got the HR34, that is different.

Interesting. I was told by the DTV employee that I talked to that they only way I could be guaranteed the new model was to be a new customer. I even asked, "So they are guaranteed the new model?" and she said yes.

#1083 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

Am I mistaken or have you said at one time you are a D* Csr. If this is the case is this why some csr's give no discounts and others do. Because you don't believe they deserve them?

No there are guidelines inplace for credits ...some CSR's disregard them in order appease the customer...Sometimes they are deserved and I have no problem giving them
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#1084 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

Well as i've said before pay TV is a luxury..if you cant or dont want to pay for it then dont. Bottom line.... it's like wanting a diamond but demanding discounts, I dont understand the mentality

And truthfully, I don't understand the mentality of blindly paying whatever the asking price is. If a product or service is negotiable, it would be foolish not to.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#1085 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

Interesting. I was told by the DTV employee that I talked to that they only way I could be guaranteed the new model was to be a new customer. I even asked, "So they are guaranteed the new model?" and she said yes.

She was wrong.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1086 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,104 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

If an order includes an HMC, at this point you are guaranteed an HR34. But that is the case for everyone since there are no other HMC models. It's not classified as an HD DVR in the system.

#1087 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,104 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

No there are guidelines inplace for credits ...some CSR's disregard them in order appease the customer...Sometimes they are deserved and I have no problem giving them

I'd think at some point, they'd no longer be a CSR, if they don't follow the guidelines enough.

#1088 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 793 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

but what if they arent deserved(your call) but the system says its ok do you ever lie and not give out credit

#1089 OFFLINE   rainydave

rainydave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:09 AM

Just got off the phone with DirecTv. My HR34/Whole Home/CCK will be installed tomorrow. The total came out to $84 after credits. I had worked out this deal back in June. The representative had put the deal in the notes and the front-line CSR honored it. Overall, I'm a happy camper.

#1090 OFFLINE   KoRn

KoRn

Legend

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:29 PM

She called your bluff and you lost. Quit trying to get something for nothing. Excellent rep. imo and doing her job properly.

I'm a 15 year customer with Premier package, NFLST and 4 HDDVR's. Have called multiple times and canot get any discount off the HR34. Talked to Retention today and she basically called me a liar stating that no one has ever gotten any discount on this box. Threatened to cancel my account, she said go ahead.

Worst customer service I have ever received outside the DMV. Will be actively evaluating alternatives to DTV. Shame. I guess since they have market share they no longer value their long term customers.

#1091 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

If I were jovac, I would have said OK, I'll call back in a few days once the Cable or Dishnetwork is installed to cancel then so that I do not have a interruption of my TV watching. Of course I also would have done it.

Once you are on Cable for a little while the "We want you back offers will start coming in." choose the best looking one if you still want DirecTV. And the next time 2 years down the road you start muttering about canceling, they will know.
+++++++++++++

I cancelled a credit card that I had for a while never late, always paid balance Plus. Always owed $1200 to $1500.

They raised the interest rate, I called they wouldn't budge so I closed it during that call. I paid it off in 4 months.

Now they keep sending me applications for new credit cards, Are they crazy? As if I would ever have another one of their cards.

That caused me no disruption as I just used another card. I still keep two + a Debit card.

Lets just see how I look at it, Chase, BofA etc. pays under 1% interest to use your money, then they charge way, way more of an interest rate on your credit card.

Thanks Load banks for your generosity, Not!.

Edited by TBoneit, 16 August 2012 - 11:16 AM.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#1092 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

Well as i've said before pay TV is a luxury..if you cant or dont want to pay for it then dont. Bottom line.... it's like wanting a diamond but demanding discounts, I dont understand the mentality

So you are saying if I can get a better deal and get more for my money I shouldn't do that because it is a luxury?

And if I can go to the store then next town over and get the Diamond for less, I shouldn't ask the first store would they like to keep me as a customer? Make a little less on the sale and make some money instead of no money?

I work retail, If I can make some money on the sale, I'll bargain. Making a little money is better than making nothing on a no sale.

Why do some people go to Kings supermarkets instead of Shoprite?

Lowest price isn't always the best choice.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#1093 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

So you are saying if I can get a better deal and get more for my money I shouldn't do that because it is a luxury?

And if I can go to the store then next town over and get the Diamond for less, I shouldn't ask the first store would they like to keep me as a customer? Make a little less on the sale and make some money instead of no money?

I work retail, If I can make some money on the sale, I'll bargain. Making a little money is better than making nothing on a no sale.

Why do some people go to Kings supermarkets instead of Shoprite?

Lowest price isn't always the best choice.

+1

#1094 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

If I were jovac, I would have said OK, I'll call back in a few days once the Cable or Dishnetwork is installed to cancel then so that I do not have a interruption of my TV watching. Of course I also would have done it.

Once you are on Cable for a little while the "We want you back offers will start coming in." choose the best looking one if you still want DirecTV. And the next time 2 years down the road you start muttering about canceling, they will know.
+++++++++++++

I cancelled a credit card that I had for a while never late, always paid balance Plus. Always owed $1200 to $1500.

They raised the interest rate, I called they wouldn't budge so I closed it during that call. I paid it off in 4 months.

Now they keep sending me applications for new credit cards, Are they crazy? As if I would ever have another one of their cards.

That caused me no disruption as I just used another card. I still keep two + a Debit card.

Lets just see how I look at it, Chase, BofA etc. pays under 1% interest to use your money, then they charge way, way more of an interest rate on your credit card.

Thanks Load banks for your generosity, Not!.

+1

#1095 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

apples and pears

Only to you and your way of thinking. I very seldom pay asking price for anything. I consider everything negotiable and my money speaks for me. I have not yet run across a store who will not deal to make the sale. They may not cut the actual price but will throw something in that does the same thing. It wasn't me who started the SPIN THE WHEEL game at Directv, but if they want to play it I am up for it. It took me a week and several calls, but I got my HR 34 for what I was willing to pay for it. Until the US gets off of this profit and shareholders before anything else kick, the only way the little guy can compete is to negotiate.

#1096 OFFLINE   duckyspawn

duckyspawn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:04 AM

Mine is being installed on Sunday. I received the HMC and install for free from DTV.

#1097 OFFLINE   El Gabito

El Gabito

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

Customer since 2004, out of contract.

My experience: called a few months back and got diddly. Full price, no exceptions.

Called today, first call the CSR answered with attitude and I could tell it probably wasn't going to go well. She didn't know what the HMC/HR34 was and kept trying to upgrade me to whole-home, even after I explained that I already had that. She put me on hold once she figured out what I was asking for, I waited about five minutes, then I got disconnected. Probably for the best.

I called back and got a cheery CSR. She was very friendly and very knowledgable. In the amount of time I was on hold with the previous CSR she had me set up with a free HR34. Forgot to ask for programming discount so I'll have to call back about that.

Both calls were cancel, cancel and I explained our interest in the hopper.

#1098 OFFLINE   topgun80

topgun80

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

I see some of you are getting "credits" ranging form $50 to $250. Who and what determines how much "credit" you get. I've been a LONG term customer.

#1099 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:09 AM

I see some of you are getting "credits" ranging form $50 to $250. Who and what determines how much "credit" you get. I've been a LONG term customer.

I think that's why you see so much frustration in this thread. There's no consistency. It seems from reading through here that being a long time customer may or may not do a thing. It looks like it just luck getting the right CSR at the right time.

#1100 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

I think that's why you see so much frustration in this thread. There's no consistency. It seems from reading through here that being a long time customer may or may not do a thing. It looks like it just luck getting the right CSR at the right time.

+1

Protected By... spam firewall...And...