Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1280 replies to this topic

#1121 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,104 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

Or, the easiest time to add an external drive is with a new box. Though I'd record something that you'd never record, at least partially, on the internal drive.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1122 OFFLINE   pete9976

pete9976

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

Just called all selected cancel, cancel.

I was able to get the following

Original Prices:
HR34 $399.00
Install $49.00

New Prices:
HR34 $199.00
Install $0

I'm happy with that! :)

#1123 OFFLINE   astanley

astanley

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

After reading about the HR30 and the C31 I decided that it was time. Our HR20 is dying (two external drive failures and the internal doesn't hold nearly enough). Plus, it's time to get rid of our two SD TVs. The SAT-60 and HR10-250 will finally be going out of service.

I did not get a good of a deal that I though I should after being with Directv since '97. Length of services really doesn't seem to mean anything to them.

HR34: $299
C31: $49/each
Install: $49 for SWM/etc.

But, I did get a $15 credit for 12 months, so that really helps. The agent also told me that it's possible to get a lower price for HBO when they are having combo offer for HBO and Cinemax. Good to know!

I also didn't realize until today that the Cinema Connection Kit is what give the HR34 Wireless capabilities. It doesn't seem to be described that well, or I haven't been paying enough attention.

This forum is great even though I didn't get the deal that I was hoping to!

#1124 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

I did not get a good of a deal that I though I should after being with Directv since '97. Length of services really doesn't seem to mean anything to them.

HR34: $299
C31: $49/each
Install: $49 for SWM/etc.

But, I did get a $15 credit for 12 months, so that really helps. !

While it isn't all free, I think you got a pretty good deal. I don't know what the C31s retail for, but the HR34 retails for $399 and the install for MRV/SWM is $199. Total $598. You're only paying $348; a savings of $250. Plus you got $180 in credits. So you're only paying $168 for this. There are quite a few here who would be happy with that deal.

Did you sign up for autopay and get a credit/discount for your monthly HD fee?

#1125 OFFLINE   plasmata

plasmata

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:08 AM

I just want to say thanks to everyone who's posted their experience on here. It saved me a lot of money. Here is the deal I managed to get by doing the "cancel - close" method.

YOUR EQUIPMENT SELECTION

1 DIRECTV® HMC HD DVR $399.00
1 DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR $0.00
1 Cinema Connection Kit $0.00
1 Sales Order Credit -$200.00
Equipment Total $199.00

ADDITIONAL

Installation Fee $49.00
Delivery & Handling Fee $0.00
Tax $17.41
Sales Order Credit -$49.00
Use Tax Adjustment $10.24
Order Total Paid* $226.65

PLUS HD DVR - $20/12mos/Agree ($20.00) = ($240.00)
HBO - HBOfor6MosSave ($ 5.00) = ($ 30.00)

So a year from now when all is said and done D* will have paid me $43 to get the HMC and an HR24. My programming charges will not change except for the whole home fee of $3 per month which starts in 3 months. The CSR that helped me was very courteous throughout the process (as was I) which took over an hour. I couldn't be happier.

BTW, I've been with D* since 2008 although I had a previous 6 year stint with them starting in '98 and previously never got one of these upgrade deals. Again, thanks to all for posting!

#1126 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

What is the $20 monthly credit for?

Does you bill go back up by $20 after it ends?

#1127 OFFLINE   plasmata

plasmata

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

Technically I don't know what it is supposed to be for. When the net cost of the new receivers came to $199 plus taxes, etc I said that I really didn't want to spend that much on new equipment and that I saw that I could get the hopper for free. He then offered to give me a $15/Mo credit for a year to offset the cost. I was satisfied with that but since I still had an HR22 I was keeping that had been acting funny lately I asked about the D* protection plan. He said I could get it, replace my HR22 in a month, then cancel the coverage and just pay a $10 fee for cancelling in the first year. I said okay, but since that adds $5.99/Mo could you give me another $5/Mo credit to offset most of that and he gave it to me. I knew others here had received the $20/Mo for a year credit so I knew I had a chance of getting it. The additional $5 for 6 months HBO credit didn't come up until the deal was basically closed. He just threw that in without having to ask for more.

The next day I found a suggestion to try clearing the NVRAM on the HR22 to fix slow response. I tried it and it worked. So I decided I probably didn't need the protection plan and logged into the D* site and cancelled it.

Oh, and yes, I will lose the $20 credit in a year but that just puts my monthly bill back to where it was anyway.

#1128 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

Technically I don't know what it is supposed to be for. When the net cost of the new receivers came to $199 plus taxes, etc I said that I really didn't want to spend that much on new equipment and that I saw that I could get the hopper for free. He then offered to give me a $15/Mo credit for a year to offset the cost. I was satisfied with that but since I still had an HR22 I was keeping that had been acting funny lately I asked about the D* protection plan. He said I could get it, replace my HR22 in a month, then cancel the coverage and just pay a $10 fee for cancelling in the first year. I said okay, but since that adds $5.99/Mo could you give me another $5/Mo credit to offset most of that and he gave it to me. I knew others here had received the $20/Mo for a year credit so I knew I had a chance of getting it. The additional $5 for 6 months HBO credit didn't come up until the deal was basically closed. He just threw that in without having to ask for more.

The next day I found a suggestion to try clearing the NVRAM on the HR22 to fix slow response. I tried it and it worked. So I decided I probably didn't need the protection plan and logged into the D* site and cancelled it.

Oh, and yes, I will lose the $20 credit in a year but that just puts my monthly bill back to where it was anyway.

thought there was a etf for canceling the PP before a year

#1129 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

Do you have to have D* install MoCA (or whatever they call it, Whole Home DVR, CCK) to play back between the DVRs?

What if you used Powerline adapters? Amazon has them for $60, supposedly with 200 Mbps connectivity.

Reason to go Powerline would be in case I stopped subscribing to D*, I could use it with some other services, since other DVR makers are working on extenders/whole home DVR setups.

#1130 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

IIRC, if you stop service and a DVR is deactivated, you won't be able to play recordings on it. Someone else may have to confirm or correct this. I know I DID experience this problem when I had a dish connection issue on an active, subscribed DVR.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#1131 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

Do you have to have D* install MoCA (or whatever they call it, Whole Home DVR, CCK) to play back between the DVRs?

What if you used Powerline adapters? Amazon has them for $60, supposedly with 200 Mbps connectivity.

Reason to go Powerline would be in case I stopped subscribing to D*, I could use it with some other services, since other DVR makers are working on extenders/whole home DVR setups.

Powerline adapters can be so hit or miss on performance. When I tried them WHDVR would work in one outlet in a room but not another. Even just plugging in a battery charger for a camcorder would cause performance to suffer causing WHDVR performance issues. My brother in law get a HR34 last week, the $49 install charge covered installing a SWiM16, two DECA's and a DECA-BB. I'd just pay the $49 and get a nice supported installation.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#1132 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,104 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

Some have done it fine, but others have not. It would be unsupported by DirecTV, and unusable with an H25.

#1133 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

Powerline adapters are not recommended due to issues that can happen with how the house is wired. Some people have used it and it's ok but they're the exception rather than the rule. Powerline is kind of like satellite internet. If it's your absolute last option because all others aren't available.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1134 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

Powerline adapters can be so hit or miss on performance. When I tried them WHDVR would work in one outlet in a room but not another. Even just plugging in a battery charger for a camcorder would cause performance to suffer causing WHDVR performance issues. My brother in law get a HR34 last week, the $49 install charge covered installing a SWiM16, two DECA's and a DECA-BB. I'd just pay the $49 and get a nice supported installation.

Yeah I imagine there's some variance in the condition of the electrical wiring between homes and within different parts of the home, which might account for the network performance variance?

And it might be the same thing for people who use MoCA adapters on old coax runs?

Would the networking be supported if you don't pay for the protection plan? Also, if you stop D* service, I know you return the DVRs but would coax lines they install still work? I guess you'd have to return the DECAs too?

#1135 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,104 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

I don't think they are as sensitive about getting them back like they are the receivers and access cards. But, they aren't standard MoCA boxes either, so don't do any good outside of a DirecTV system. DirecTV supports certain coax types, and you don't have the other issues like when using power.

Ethernet or other networking is never supported by DirecTV.

#1136 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

Would the networking be supported if you don't pay for the protection plan? Also, if you stop D* service, I know you return the DVRs but would coax lines they install still work? I guess you'd have to return the DECAs too?

Yes, you might have to pay for a service call if necessary though. From what I've seen on recovery kits is they want DECA's back.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#1137 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,104 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

Yes, you might have to pay for a service call if necessary though. From what I've seen on recovery kits is they want DECA's back.

It's listed on the sheet, but I have been told they don't actually charge a non return fee if they are not included.

#1138 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:01 AM

Considering that my 3-room, multi-DVR, whole home DVR setup is connected with ethernet cable and not DECA (I won't get into the lengthy explanation as to why, but I'm quite satisfied), if I were to get an HR34, is it mandatory that I get a DECA setup or can I stick with what is working for me now?

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#1139 OFFLINE   samthegam

samthegam

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:08 AM

I have been running out of tuners on my HR24 to record this seasons shows so I have been having to watch the shows that don't get recorded as they air on another tv.

I have been with DirecTV for 14 months so I figured I would not get a good deal on the Genie. I asked about getting another DVR and the rep said she would check the pricing and put me on hold. When she comes back she says she can get me Genie a 5 tuner dvr receiver for free or I could get a two tuner hd dvr for free with $100 credit.

I picked the Genie and she gave me free install. All I had to pay was $25 for the taxes on the Genie. And she gave me $30 credit lasting a year. And the best part is it is being installed tomorrow!!!

#1140 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:14 AM

IIRC, if you stop service and a DVR is deactivated, you won't be able to play recordings on it. Someone else may have to confirm or correct this. I know I DID experience this problem when I had a dish connection issue on an active, subscribed DVR.

That is correct ! Even tho you could own your DVR ! Directv will shut off the play back feature. Which in my opion is illegal if you own the device ! :nono:

If your DVR is out of the steam for a long period and the keys expire it wont work

Protected By... spam firewall...And...