Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1280 replies to this topic

#1141 OFFLINE   nike5580

nike5580

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, New Hampshire

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

I just noticed that Solid Signal has lowered the price on the HR34 to $349.00.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1142 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,795 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

That is correct ! Even tho you could own your DVR ! Directv will shut off the play back feature. Which in my opion is illegal if you own the device ! :nono:

If your DVR is out of the steam for a long period and the keys expire it wont work

Not illegal...you may own the DVR, but you don't "own" the DVR service. Directv has policies regarding the delivery of that service.

That said, I understand the frustration. But if you want to watch the recordings you need to keep the receiver active.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#1143 OFFLINE   jep8821

jep8821

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

Not illegal...you may own the DVR, but you don't "own" the DVR service. Directv has policies regarding the delivery of that service.

That said, I understand the frustration. But if you want to watch the recordings you need to keep the receiver active.

Playing devils advocate here... but some of us did buy LIFETIME DVR service thru directv.... u could say for those of us... we Kinda do "own" the dvr service.... Just sayin!! :lol:
All Owned:
HR34-700
HR24-500
HR23-100
HR21-200
SWM 16
DECA (self installed)

#1144 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,960 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

Playing devils advocate here... but some of us did buy LIFETIME DVR service thru directv.... u could say for those of us... we Kinda do "own" the dvr service.... Just sayin!! :lol:

Free lifetime only with active account. ;)

#1145 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

I have been running out of tuners on my HR24 to record this seasons shows so I have been having to watch the shows that don't get recorded as they air on another tv.

I have been with DirecTV for 14 months so I figured I would not get a good deal on the Genie. I asked about getting another DVR and the rep said she would check the pricing and put me on hold. When she comes back she says she can get me Genie a 5 tuner dvr receiver for free or I could get a two tuner hd dvr for free with $100 credit.

I picked the Genie and she gave me free install. All I had to pay was $25 for the taxes on the Genie. And she gave me $30 credit lasting a year. And the best part is it is being installed tomorrow!!!

What is the Genie, another name for the HR34?

How much is your monthly bill? Do you subscribe to Sunday Ticket and premium channels?

#1146 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

Yes Genie is another name for HR34.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#1147 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

It's listed on the sheet, but I have been told they don't actually charge a non return fee if they are not included.

In February I replaced an HR21 w/DECA with an HR34. I did not return anything except for the actual receiver (I kept power cord, remote, and DECA) and was not charged any type of non-return fees.

I replaced another HR21 w/DECA with a C31 today and plan to do the same thing.

#1148 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

OK let me spin it another way, Say you own your own Cell phone all the Pictures and Videos and music that are on it. And you cancel your sub. You cant make any phone calls on it anymore but you still can turn it on and view your content. The old days the phone companies would charge you how many phones you had in the house, or the Cable companies would charge you extra to use your remote control on the Box. So i guess the more people have these it will take Uncle Sam to step in and change the way they operate

#1149 OFFLINE   samthegam

samthegam

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

What is the Genie, another name for the HR34?

How much is your monthly bill? Do you subscribe to Sunday Ticket and premium channels?

My monthly bill is about $150 and I subscribe to the Premier package. No Sunday Ticket but did receive one season free when I signed up last year. I do order PPV on occasion!

Just got the HR34-700 installed this morning

#1150 OFFLINE   sacflies

sacflies

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:05 AM

I have been running out of tuners on my HR24 to record this seasons shows so I have been having to watch the shows that don't get recorded as they air on another tv.

I have been with DirecTV for 14 months so I figured I would not get a good deal on the Genie. I asked about getting another DVR and the rep said she would check the pricing and put me on hold. When she comes back she says she can get me Genie a 5 tuner dvr receiver for free or I could get a two tuner hd dvr for free with $100 credit.

I picked the Genie and she gave me free install. All I had to pay was $25 for the taxes on the Genie. And she gave me $30 credit lasting a year. And the best part is it is being installed tomorrow!!!

Hate how they are all over the board with the offers. I am out of contract and wasn't offered anything close to that when I called.

#1151 OFFLINE   argulator

argulator

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

Will add my experience. 12 year subscriber currently with HR21, H23, and one old HR10 Tivo. I only asked for cost on a HR34 and whole home install to replace my old TIVO -- CSR offered the HR34 and another HD DVR to replace the TIVO. Cost was 49.00 for HR34, free installation, and 23.00 of credits for 12 months. Did have to agree to another 24 month commitment.

#1152 OFFLINE   Hotelone

Hotelone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCentral Sierra Mountains

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

FWIW, I've been with D* forever and I haven't asked Customer Retention for anything for a long time. My SDTV in my playroom died last month and I bought a 60" Panny to replace it and when I called and asked CR they sent me an HR34 for free w/free installation and the contract extension w/$30 a month bill credit for a year. I was pleased enough with that. After reading about the C31 I stated thinking about my small kitchen flat panel that was connected with RCA's and after calling CR again and they scheduled me for for a free install of a C31 for the kitchen panel for the $6.00 per month with no contract extension. I've been with D* for almost 15 years so YMMV but it might be worth a call to Customer Retention to see what they'll cough up.

#1153 OFFLINE   jpatt49

jpatt49

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

I wonder why they make you go through the retention process? Everyone knows this trick. I just called customer service hoping I would not have to go through the fake "dropping service" routine, but the best she could do was $299 for the Genie. I have been patiently waiting and have been a D* customer for over 5 years with the full package and Sunday Ticket. I am on auto pay with no late payments and have only called once in 5 years to ask about the slow response on my current DVR. If it was $299 for everyone, I would gladly pay it, but giving deals to some customers and not others isn't a good business model. I can even understand lower costs for new subscribers. But to have your current customers get a varying degree of pricing makes no sense.

#1154 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,170 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

I agree. I'm a longtime customer of DirecTV--15+ years--and when I called to inquire about their Genie based on an Email I received, I was told I qualify for a special price of $299 + $50 shipping, for a total of $349! I actually replied, "You've got to be kidding me! That's an insult, and I'm not interested." I politely said my good-byes and hung up the phone.

$349??? Seriously?

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#1155 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

Can't say much other than I believe all existing customers will be much happier in the near future, regarding upgrades etc.
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#1156 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,960 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

I agree. I'm a longtime customer of DirecTV--15+ years--and when I called to inquire about their Genie based on an Email I received, I was told I qualify for a special price of $299 + $50 shipping, for a total of $349! I actually replied, "You've got to be kidding me! That's an insult, and I'm not interested." I politely said my good-byes and hung up the phone.

$349??? Seriously?

Since when did they start shipping them?

#1157 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,960 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

Can't say much other than I believe all existing customers will be much happier in the near future, regarding upgrades etc.

You seem to be suggesting that people might want to sit tight and wait a bit huh?

#1158 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,170 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:18 PM

Since when did they start shipping them?

Beats me. She explained that she would ship it and then a technician would be scheduled to install it.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#1159 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

What's the C31?

I tried to upgrade a few months ago and got the run around.

So if Tivo delivers a good extender or Apple comes out with something, I'm gone.

#1160 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

What's the C31?

I tried to upgrade a few months ago and got the run around.

So if Tivo delivers a good extender or Apple comes out with something, I'm gone.

receiver with no tuners in it streams one of the tuners from the hr 34
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

spam firewall